Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Got introduced to this game last month at a con in Bahrain, and I'm interested in jumping in. Is a Core Box the way to go?

Looking at the factions, I'm torn between Swamp GobGremlins and Undead Fairy Rage Queen. I adore the aesthetics of Titania's crew, but I'm a Greenskins player in 40K so the Bayou calls to me on a deep level, though I'm unsure which Master I prefer. Zipp, Ophelia, and Uxil are the top 3 contenders.

I'm thinking about snagging Ophelia and Titania, then I could play around with a ranged crew and a crew with no ranged.

The Guild looks cool, but I don't want to play the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

If you pick up two crews then you can persuade people to play intro games against you without them having to have their own models, hopefully get them into it too... Also the more models other people have (and post) the better i feel about how many I've ended up with.

I would mention that if you go with Ulix you will end up painting a lot of pigs. Like A LOT of pigs. And the pigs are fine enough but they arent as fun to paint as the gremlins are. Zipps crew are fun to paint (and generally look cool to me) but the Iron Skeeters are kind of frustratingly fiddly to build. I have no comments to make about Ophelia because I've only got her 1e metal version, the newer plastic crew look good but I have no direct experience. Titanias crew look pretty nice, I've got a core box sitting in the pile of shame undercoated and ready to go.

I have a friend who is more decisive than me who has already picked up an Anya box. But I could try to recruit more folks, of course.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/category/other-games/malifaux/
Check out the Faction Focus article series.

Serena Bowman and Insidious Madnesses are mandatory.

I found those this morning, and they were very helpful. Ended up getting Ophelia Core and the Bayou Box. As soon as they arrive, I get to teach my friend how to assemble and paint models.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got my Speed Paints set, and gave them a test run on a Gremlin. I'm not the best, or fastest, painter...but I got this guy done pretty quickly. One coat in most places, two on the pants. Had some issues with reactivation (you can especially see it where I tried to touch up the area around the eyes. I hit it with a spray varnish, and will attempt touch ups again later. Everything is speed paint over Citadel Corax White spray except the teeth (White Scar) and the belt buckle (Retributor Armour). All in all, I'm happy with it, and impressed with the paints. Going to run through the rest of Ophelia's crew today and make sure to give the paint plenty of time to dry between colors, maybe that will help with the reactivation.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pierzak posted:

I looked up their color swatch and Mushroom does look near-perfect for the purpose. Too bad it's in a spray can, if anyone knows a good airbrushed equivalent I'd love to know.

(And no, I'm not gonna decant that poo poo)

You could try Husk Brown by Army Painter? Seems pretty close.

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/us/aw3122p

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Had my first actual game recently. My Ophelia crew vs Anya. It was a ton of fun, and I wiped the floor with them (7-1 on points; Murdered 99% of their crew).

I felt kind of bad because the other person was also new, but they kind of ignored everything except their secret objectives despite me reminding them...a lot.

Ophelia struck me as very strong, especially if you can keep the Young LaCroix nearby to keep arming her up. Ignoring friendly fire was great, and The Bigger They Are was a huge boon for my little swamp Gremlins.

EDIT: I grabbed the Zipp box and Off The Top Rope. I've put it all together, and I now have blood feud with whoever designed the sprues for the flying bug machines. Tamiya Extra Thin helped a lot, but I was still tempted to just chuck the entire thing.

Who designs a model so that a tiny grapnel tine is a separate piece?

Devorum fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

John Romero posted:

right now im between dreamer and pandora

i guess i could just buy both tho

I started with Kin and Infamous so I'd have a straightforward crew and a scheming crew to learn with.