Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

scarymonkey posted:

Nice that you have a high end dual core 1.2ghz cpu, most of us don't. Even a Tegra 2 CPU can't handle a lot of 1080p content. The video source resolution shouldn't matter, it is what it is, the video can be 4k video, that doesn't negate the fact I want a way to watch it on lets say a 3" 320x240 device over let say 802.11g. I'm not quite following your ftp "streaming" solution, as far as I know no Android video player I know of can stream from an FTP source and no Android ROM i know of can mount an FTP source as a file system mount. Also trying to stream 9 GB of video over a 250 KBps connection at any acceptable watchable frame rate just wouldn't work. That's why transcoding is done, so you can stream content at a bitrate that's more suitable to your device's capability and available bandwidth.

Dual core devices are the standard now, I'm not sure what to say there. Technology won't go backwards from this point so I guess upgrade your phone or tablet?

Technically you're right, I could have a 4k video that's compressed to hell and uses the same bandwidth as a 720x480 file, it'll just be totally unwatchable, so I'm equating higher resolution = higher bit rate encoding.

Here's a clarification on "streaming" over FTP. I'm running an ftp server on my media path. using any FTP client app (let's say AND FTP, or the FTP client built into ES File Explorer) I input the ftp address (this is dynamic so I don't need to constantly update the host IP whenever it changes). Once I'm connected, I can long press any media file in the FTP app, which will then pass through to a media player. The mediaplayer is using the ftp protocol to "stream" the file..I don't get any complex options such as precise playhead control that a media protocol would give me like DLNA or upnp, but it works..As you go up in bandwidth you need to match that in connection or else you'll see buffering in effect. A low bit rate SD encode doesn't require much bandwidth to stream properly..

So again, not sure what you mean exactly when you say it's impossible.

edit: i'm using bandwidth and data rate (bit rate) interchangeably here...could be confusing.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

stuff..

If I was interested in streaming SD content I would go back to using my PocketPC. I don't feel like my HP TouchPad and Evo 4G are quite end of life yet, hell I barely reached the one year point on the EVO. And no seek support? No thanks, on a low bandwidth connection loss of signal is almost a guarantee, I don't feel like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie 20 times because I can't seek to where I left off. Also, as stated before most of my content are in bitrates that would cause a 60 minute watching session using the ftp stream method over 3g consist of 55 minutes of buffering and 5 minutes of watching.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

scarymonkey posted:

If I was interested in streaming SD content I would go back to using my PocketPC. I don't feel like my HP TouchPad and Evo 4G are quite end of life yet, hell I barely reached the one year point on the EVO. And no seek support? No thanks, on a low bandwidth connection loss of signal is almost a guarantee, I don't feel like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie 20 times because I can't seek to where I left off. Also, as stated before most of my content are in bitrates that would cause a 60 minute watching session using the ftp stream method over 3g consist of 55 minutes of buffering and 5 minutes of watching.

I don't see why the touchpad couldn't do this with a stable android rom running on it. It's got the hardware for sure. If you're looking to stream 1080p films to your phone or tab over 3g, I really don't know what to say. I think the best you'll get is maybe netflix streaming at a compressed 720p with a bunch of buffering.

Higher then native resolution playback over WAN is a niche thing. I hate to say it. Most people aren't playing 1080p content on a 720 display or under. It's overkill. If you're doing HDMI out on to a 1080p tv or something, how many people are really going to be doing that over 3g or 4g instead wifi? And even then why not just go DLNA/upnp wirelessly to the TV instead? I could see it being an issue once we're all using 1080p tablets, but by then OTA connections should hopefully be 4g and up and 3g becomes what edge/1xrtt is now.

I'm pretty happy with SD, 720p, 1080p playback within a LAN, and then SD and 720p playback outside of LAN with the caveat there being of no playhead control. The tech isn't the bottleneck for 1080p streaming outside of a lan, it's the data connection.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

zer0spunk posted:

I don't see why the touchpad couldn't do this with a stable android rom running on it. It's got the hardware for sure. If you're looking to stream 1080p films to your phone or tab over 3g, I really don't know what to say. I think the best you'll get is maybe netflix streaming at a compressed 720p with a bunch of buffering.

Higher then native resolution playback over WAN is a niche thing. I hate to say it. Most people aren't playing 1080p content on a 720 display or under. It's overkill. If you're doing HDMI out on to a 1080p tv or something, how many people are really going to be doing that over 3g or 4g instead wifi? And even then why not just go DLNA/upnp wirelessly to the TV instead? I could see it being an issue once we're all using 1080p tablets, but by then OTA connections should hopefully be 4g and up and 3g becomes what edge/1xrtt is now.

I'm pretty happy with SD, 720p, 1080p playback within a LAN, and then SD and 720p playback outside of LAN with the caveat there being of no playhead control. The tech isn't the bottleneck for 1080p streaming outside of a lan, it's the data connection.

I'm not going to comment beyond this, because it's bringing this thread off topic.

You're providing solutions for problems I don't have. I have content, I want to play that content on multiple targets, it may be my 55" TV over a gigabit connection, it may be on my quad core desktop. I have lots and lots of content. This content is on my NAS. I don't want to re-encode my content before hand for various targets as that would take a very long time, take extra disk space I probably couldn't spare and I wouldn't even know what to pre encode for which target as I don't know what content I may want to watch at any given moment on which device. I use Serviio (DNLA server) with my Samsung TV when I want to watch on that target. And I use a transcoding streamer when I want to play on my phone. The right tool for the right job. I've been working streaming solutions and media since they were first available, I know what works and what doesn't in various scenarios as I've actually tested various solutions extensively across many devices and years.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

THF13 posted:

TV Show Favs
Tracks your favorite shows so you know what's airing and what you've missed.

Thanks for this, just spent like an hour adding my favs and then setting up notifications. This was awesome. I even realized a few shows that I have watched seasons recently started too.....time to get downloading!

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

does that app support the UK, doesn't look like it from the market page....

I want a free or cheap VNC client, any suggestions?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Holy gently caress widget locker just got way more awesome. Go upgrade that poo poo cause I know you already have it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Has anyone tried the Siri inspired Iris? Still being improved upon, but it seems to work pretty well.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Has anyone tried the Siri inspired Iris? Still being improved upon, but it seems to work pretty well.

I used this over the weekend on my rooted Thunderbolt.

It kept crashing on me on my 2nd attempt to say something to it. It was weird, it would work for the first time, I would hit the button to say something else, and it would just loop and loop over and over again. I wasn't able to get out of the program either - had to pop the battery out.

Strange.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Codiusprime posted:

Holy gently caress widget locker just got way more awesome. Go upgrade that poo poo cause I know you already have it.

Between this and Go Launcher you can do a fairly convincing Ice Cream Sandwich look

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Have any of you tried either of the thermostat applications? I have Westar and their fancy internet thermostat so I'm going to try this later:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mktgdept.thermostat

I guess there's also this one for the WiFi thermostats:
https://market.android.com/details?id=RadioThermostat.com

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Have any of you tried either of the thermostat applications? I have Westar and their fancy internet thermostat so I'm going to try this later:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mktgdept.thermostat

I guess there's also this one for the WiFi thermostats:
https://market.android.com/details?id=RadioThermostat.com

I'm grabbing the $99 thermostat at Home Depot in about a week, and will be using the 2nd app you linked so i should know around then.

Thirding+whatever the TV Show Favs. I did the calendar method before too, but it just wasn't that useful when a show had an off week.

NavalCasity
Dec 21, 2005

Rich, creamy eggnog.

yamdankee posted:

I'm pretty sure they even mention it on the android market page for Iris, but Vlingo is a much more robust "personal assistant" app. It works gang-busters right out of the gate and once you get used to the commands it can access almost every part of your phone through voice prompts. Plus if you want to be a dick about it to your iOS friends, you can constantly bring up how Vlingo has existed on Android a while before Siri was even announced.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Codiusprime posted:

Holy tits, the ICS slider is so loving cool. Now I can add Facebook and Awful to the bog standard unlock and volume. I also noticed that they've finally added an option to pick the order of vibrate and silent for the volume control. The default skin also matches the minimalistic white lines look I was going for before, so bonus points for that. Now I just need to find matching icons for Facebook and Awful...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NavalCasity posted:

I'm pretty sure they even mention it on the android market page for Iris, but Vlingo is a much more robust "personal assistant" app. It works gang-busters right out of the gate and once you get used to the commands it can access almost every part of your phone through voice prompts. Plus if you want to be a dick about it to your iOS friends, you can constantly bring up how Vlingo has existed on Android a while before Siri was even announced.

Is it possible to create an appointment in Vlingo (or an alternative voice search app)

The "Remind me at 11am I have a haircut at 4pm" thing Siri can do sounds really useful.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Codiusprime posted:

Yeah this latest update is fantastic. Loving the hell out of the ICS slider.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

I'm just happy they finally added a backup/restore option!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dissss posted:

Is it possible to create an appointment in Vlingo (or an alternative voice search app)

The "Remind me at 11am I have a haircut at 4pm" thing Siri can do sounds really useful.
No, it's pretty limited. I think the closest you can get is "open calendar".

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Are there any good text to speech apps floating round?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

For some reason the market says its no longer compatible with my device. I've got an LG Optimus S. What could they have changed that fucks up for me?

edit: New 2.2.1 update fixed it, that was quick.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 26, 2011

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That's weird, I have an Optimus V and I'm not having any trouble.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to set up Tasker so that an alarm goes off when the phone is fully charged?

I'd like to use it on my Nexus S 4G but the battery only charges to 94% and I'm not sure if that make a difference or not.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Frogmanv2 posted:

Are there any good text to speech apps floating round?
SVOX is hands down the best I've come across. I use the UK Victoria voice, because who doesn't want their phone to talk to them in a sexy British accent? Be warned, however: I saw numerous people complaining about problems with the latest update, so I've held off on upgrading. Might want to keep that 15 minute refund window in mind, or wait until they fix the problems.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't have enough widgets on my tablet. What are some good and useful ones?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Codiusprime posted:

Holy poo poo, you can finally edit sliders in place. That had always irritated me (granted, not often, because I don't mess around with it much, but still).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
From time to time, SwitftKey will start being retarded. I have it set so that space bar will always insert a prediction, but when it's retarded, it just inserts a space (or sometimes a period). A phone reboot seems to fix it, but that's obviously not ideal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the posted:

I don't have enough widgets on my tablet. What are some good and useful ones?

How many clocks do you have? :colbert:

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Amazon free app of the day is OfficeSuite Pro 5 . Might be worth a grab.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 26, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh man, the new options for Widgetlocker are amazing. It's even better now. :3:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I must be dumb because I can no longer pull down the notification bar in WidgetLocker, but I'm pretty sure I have all the options to lock it unchecked.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Want to run Android apps on your PC?

Try out BlueStacks:
http://www.bluestacks.com/download.html

Also install BlueStacks cloud Syncer on your Android device to send a copy of apps on your Android device to the PC Player:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bluestacks.appsyncer

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, you can finally edit sliders in place. That had always irritated me (granted, not often, because I don't mess around with it much, but still).

I'm pretty sure you could do this before. If you long pressed an existing slider, then dropped it in the same place, you would see a really small settings button beside it. Regardless, the update is way better

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
No joke, this WidgetLocker update is huge. Also love the fact that by default the notification icon is not turned on. Did they find a better way to manage it other than having to keep the icon there or something?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Has anyone that bought widgetlocker from amazon been able to update to this crazy cool new version? I feel left out.
:smith:

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
Ugh, when is the Amazon market going to get the new version of WidgetLocker?

Edit: beaten. Got sidetracked with the reply window open.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

rotaryfun posted:

No joke, this WidgetLocker update is huge. Also love the fact that by default the notification icon is not turned on. Did they find a better way to manage it other than having to keep the icon there or something?

Not sure, but I've been trying it out with the notification icon off and haven't really had any problems.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
so apparently the new widgetlocker is no longer compatible with my Desire Z and I'm out 3 bux :mad:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I was wondering what all of the fuss about WidgetLocker was since I haven't used it in awhile, and man is it nice. I can't remember why I had a hard time with it last time around, but it's much nicer now, and I'll probably stick with it as it now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

scarymonkey posted:

I'm not quite following your ftp "streaming" solution, as far as I know no Android video player I know of can stream from an FTP source and no Android ROM i know of can mount an FTP source as a file system mount.
I haven't tried FTP because it's a deprecated protocol (in my book) for anything other than public (anonymous login) servers.

However I do regularly "stream" video over SFTP by running sshfs & FUSE on my phone. It works on any rooted Android phone if you compile/find a "fuse.ko" module for. Folks regularly mount SMB shares with CifsManager which is essentially the same idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't tried FTP because it's a deprecated protocol (in my book) for anything other than public (anonymous login) servers.

However I do regularly "stream" video over SFTP by running sshfs & FUSE on my phone. It works on any rooted Android phone if you compile/find a "fuse.ko" module for. Folks regularly mount SMB shares with CifsManager which is essentially the same idea.

I know fuse.ko capability exists, does any popular ROM/Kernel include it? I've mounted cifs stuff on phone before, even on WiFi it's slow as poo poo, Samba is a super inefficient protocol. The main point I was making is even if my media were on my SD card my phone/tablet would still be too weak to play them without re-encoding.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 26, 2011

• Locked thread