Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

The rear end Stooge posted:

My solution is to not use any of them and if they want to text to me they can send me a god damned SMS like a normal human being

This was basically my solution. SMS is the one thing I know for sure that everyone has on their phone, and gently caress it if it's not their preferred platform because that's what they're getting from me.

I'd rather use Hangouts, in a perfect world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I've been using messenger for about a year now (after using hangouts prior to that) for SMS.

How is hangouts these days? I'm on Project Fi now so I wasn't sure if I should head back to hangouts for voicemail/sms/dialing functionality. I do like the stock dialer, though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Edit: nvm, I'll take it to the 3D thread

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

I've been using messenger for about a year now (after using hangouts prior to that) for SMS.

How is hangouts these days? I'm on Project Fi now so I wasn't sure if I should head back to hangouts for voicemail/sms/dialing functionality. I do like the stock dialer, though.

Passable and improving at a glacial rate. I use a GV number for everything, and Hangouts for most phone calls, and it's always doing something screwy. (These days with my 5X, it just won't turn the screen back on after a call ends; have to sleep/wake toggle it with the power button.) But it crashes less than it used to. For SMS and voicemail it's fine.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm coming back to Android after a while with iOS, and I'm wondering... are there any applications similar to Air Video (i.e. streaming video) on Android?

Air Video is very simple. It streams your videos from your home PC to your device but allows transcoding if needed. Unlike Plex, it doesn't require monitoring folders and it doesn't support metadata. It just shows your folders and files and works flawlessly. It's also incredibly fast, and if a file is directly supported (i.e. MP4 with H.264 and AAC), it supports direct playback and bypasses the transcode.

BubbleUPNP on Android seems to be very popular and I could use it with MiniDLNAd, but it doesn't support transcoding (for slow cellular networks), and I don't think it lets you seek/scrub during video playback.

Plex seems to be the closest to Air Video, but requires monitoring folders and importing data. I just want something to browse my files with any metadata attached or scraping required.

Ray Finkle
Aug 28, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

I'm coming back to Android after a while with iOS, and I'm wondering... are there any applications similar to Air Video (i.e. streaming video) on Android?

Air Video is very simple. It streams your videos from your home PC to your device but allows transcoding if needed. Unlike Plex, it doesn't require monitoring folders and it doesn't support metadata. It just shows your folders and files and works flawlessly. It's also incredibly fast, and if a file is directly supported (i.e. MP4 with H.264 and AAC), it supports direct playback and bypasses the transcode.

BubbleUPNP on Android seems to be very popular and I could use it with MiniDLNAd, but it doesn't support transcoding (for slow cellular networks), and I don't think it lets you seek/scrub during video playback.

Plex seems to be the closest to Air Video, but requires monitoring folders and importing data. I just want something to browse my files with any metadata attached or scraping required.

Firstly, BubbleUPnP doesn't play video directly, it uses an external renderer of your choosing, which means scrubbing IS supported. I use it to connect to my file server when on my home WiFi, and it works great.

If you want to transcode with bubbleupnp they actually have a free server-side plug-in called Bubbleupnp Server that adds that as well a few other features. I use that combination to cast videos from my server directly to the chromecasts in my house and it's worked with everything I've thrown at it. It'll do this stuff over cellular too if you set it up that way but I have no need for this so I can't say how well it works.

In fact I highly recommend any DLNA server + Bubbleupnp + bubbleupnp server for those with chromecasts looking for a free alternative to Plex.

In your case the other alternative that I know of that doesn't require maintaining a library, works over cellular radio, and has transcoding is Serviio Pro, but that costs $25 (although the free version comes with a 15-day trial of the pro version). The benefit of it is that it also has a web app, and overall it's probably a little easier to set up.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are there any good lockscreen apps, or are they not worth it in general?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just a bit ago, I opened up Words with Friends from a notification, and saw a toast that said "mraid is here". Any ideas where the hell that came from? I might not be remembering the first word exactly correctly, but I think so, since it struck me as a strange word.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just received my new Nexus 6P and have been going through the battery optimization menu. The only app that I have that is not optimized is Cerberus - should I keep it like that or enable battery optimization. I wonder how it will affect tracking?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Busy Bee posted:

I just received my new Nexus 6P and have been going through the battery optimization menu. The only app that I have that is not optimized is Cerberus - should I keep it like that or enable battery optimization. I wonder how it will affect tracking?

Is Cerberus better at tracking than Android Device Manager? You wouldn't even have to pay for that.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is Cerberus better at tracking than Android Device Manager? You wouldn't even have to pay for that.

It's a lot more refined and has more useful features so I've kept it around. I also only paid around $2 for it a year or so ago so I've always have the paid version.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My mom isn't so great at phones and is constantly asking me how to use hers. Since she doesn't do anything all that complicated with her phone anyway, mainly just calling and texting, I'm thinking about installing a launcher geared at seniors to simplify her phone. I'm leaning toward either Wiser or Necta, but I'm certainly interested if anybody has experience with these apps or something similar and has an opinion.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

My mom isn't so great at phones and is constantly asking me how to use hers. Since she doesn't do anything all that complicated with her phone anyway, mainly just calling and texting, I'm thinking about installing a launcher geared at seniors to simplify her phone. I'm leaning toward either Wiser or Necta, but I'm certainly interested if anybody has experience with these apps or something similar and has an opinion.

Wow, I'm interested if anyone has experience with Wiser, I really think it looks like a good thing for seniors (who I have to support often). It certainly looks like the nicer of the two.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Wow, I'm interested if anyone has experience with Wiser, I really think it looks like a good thing for seniors (who I have to support often). It certainly looks like the nicer of the two.

Big Launcher looks nice, too, but that one's :10bux:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is it so absurd that someone may own a vacation home in Australia? Why bother posting this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it so absurd that someone may own a vacation home in Australia? Why bother posting this?

Because it's not "do you own a vacation home" or "do you own one overseas," it jumps straight to Australia like there's enough room on the Brisbane river for everyone else's family to have one too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That's not as weird as the one about truffle hunting, but it is kind of oddly specific, yeah.

I got one about recreational parachuting earlier today.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Google thinks I work in finance for some reason and is constantly asking lifestyle questions about overpriced watches and yuppie fashion labels and poo poo.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Google thinks I work in finance for some reason and is constantly asking lifestyle questions about overpriced watches and yuppie fashion labels and poo poo.

Maybe google and your Mom just want you to quit dressing like a slob.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Google thinks I eat a lot of wings. And I do.

Speaking of this, I need some apps to spend all this money on. Lately I've been getting around $.50/day because I've been out and about doing poo poo and I'm getting like two surveys a day. The money is piling up and I'm running out of stuff to spend it on.

I've been using ADW for my Twitter and Agenda widgets forever now. Is there a better Twitter app with a widget out there? I don't really care about tweeting per se, I just want a scrollable widget that's easy to read for one of my homescreens. Same question for a calendar or agenda widget.

Really any apps that cost money that I might've missed would be great. I've already paid for every app I use that has a paid component or upgrade but I haven't gotten a new app in ages.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fenix is really good for twitter

I don't tend to use the widget however as tweetmarker doesn't work on it as far as I can tell.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I would love to have enough to buy no-ads for Words With Friends. I figured a couple bucks should cover it easily, but no, it's loving :10bux:.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Google thinks I eat a lot of wings. And I do.

Speaking of this, I need some apps to spend all this money on. Lately I've been getting around $.50/day because I've been out and about doing poo poo and I'm getting like two surveys a day. The money is piling up and I'm running out of stuff to spend it on.

I've been using ADW for my Twitter and Agenda widgets forever now. Is there a better Twitter app with a widget out there? I don't really care about tweeting per se, I just want a scrollable widget that's easy to read for one of my homescreens. Same question for a calendar or agenda widget.

Really any apps that cost money that I might've missed would be great. I've already paid for every app I use that has a paid component or upgrade but I haven't gotten a new app in ages.
What apps have you already bought?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

What apps have you already bought?

Most of the ones people recommend, I think. I use Pocketcasts, gReader Pro, Arcus, Our Groceries, Timely, and Nova. I'm kind of married to Pocketcasts and I really like gReader Pro and Our Groceries but I'm not opposed to a better alarm clock or weather app. I've looked at Weather Timeline a bit and thought about it but I'm just not convinced.

I've bought Pujie Black for Wear and honestly anything with a Wear component I'd really like to try it out. It's weird to me that no clocks hook into Wear but I guess that's how it is.

I don't have Tasker as I can't think of a use for it. I do have some utilities like Titanium and Root Explorer but I'm trying to get away from root things.

Oh, for games I have Monument Valley. I'm not a big gamer so I really don't have a lot of interest in this area.

Mostly I just keep thinking I have to be missing something because I feel like I haven't gotten a new app in ages.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't think much new and exciting has come along since Pushbullet really

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there an alarm app that will let you skip the next x alarms. Any time I have a weekday off, I'm afraid I'm going to forget to turn my alarm back on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there an alarm app that will let you skip the next x alarms. Any time I have a weekday off, I'm afraid I'm going to forget to turn my alarm back on.

Gentle Alarm does but it's dated as gently caress now.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Almost every good alarm app lets you set alarms by the day. Why can't you just have a normal m-f one and a weekend one that you turn on and off?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Buy a Google cardboard viewer and the mess around with cardboard VR apps. Some of them cost a bit of money. But it's early days so nothing is spectacularly good, either.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Buy a Google cardboard viewer and the mess around with cardboard VR apps. Some of them cost a bit of money. But it's early days so nothing is spectacularly good, either.
As someone who did just this I have to admit that it's pretty underwhelming once you get past the built-in Cardboard demos. It was about 60/40 whether an app would be playable, and even the ones that were were limited to tech demos. Hell, I couldn't even play a couple of well-reviewed games because the two images wouldn't line up and the games provided no way to adjust their spacing.

I guess watching a YouTube video as a low-res floating screen was kinda neat...

I'm tempted to return the viewer because I'm pretty sure it'll be forgotten once the Vive/Oculus/etc... drop in six months.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

eSporks posted:

Almost every good alarm app lets you set alarms by the day. Why can't you just have a normal m-f one and a weekend one that you turn on and off?

He wants to be able to skip random weekdays, not just the same days every time.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Most of the ones people recommend, I think. I use Pocketcasts, gReader Pro, Arcus, Our Groceries, Timely, and Nova. I'm kind of married to Pocketcasts and I really like gReader Pro and Our Groceries but I'm not opposed to a better alarm clock or weather app. I've looked at Weather Timeline a bit and thought about it but I'm just not convinced.

I've bought Pujie Black for Wear and honestly anything with a Wear component I'd really like to try it out. It's weird to me that no clocks hook into Wear but I guess that's how it is.

I don't have Tasker as I can't think of a use for it. I do have some utilities like Titanium and Root Explorer but I'm trying to get away from root things.

Oh, for games I have Monument Valley. I'm not a big gamer so I really don't have a lot of interest in this area.

Mostly I just keep thinking I have to be missing something because I feel like I haven't gotten a new app in ages.
Fx (file explorer by nextapp) is quite decent if you need a file manager. I basically never use it, but it handles samba and sftp should you need it. It might be able to replace root explorer for you, as it also has a plugin for root.

Huebrix is nice if you want a simple timekiller for your phone. Juicessh if you ever use ssh stuff. Popup widget 2 is nice if you like using widgets but hate that they always take space. Plex is nice if you can be bothered to set it up.

You seem pretty set though, so I don't have much to add.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

The problem is the same thing I'm having as I'm off work this week and the next: You turn off that alarm then forget to reenable it the night before work.

Zom Aur posted:

Fx (file explorer by nextapp) is quite decent if you need a file manager. I basically never use it, but it handles samba and sftp should you need it. It might be able to replace root explorer for you, as it also has a plugin for root.

Huebrix is nice if you want a simple timekiller for your phone. Juicessh if you ever use ssh stuff. Popup widget 2 is nice if you like using widgets but hate that they always take space. Plex is nice if you can be bothered to set it up.

You seem pretty set though, so I don't have much to add.

Thanks for the suggestions. None fit my use case (did you know there's a non-root file explorer in Marshmallow now?) but they're all good suggestions if they did.

I guess I'll just keep piling up the Google bux. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Karthe posted:

As someone who did just this I have to admit that it's pretty underwhelming once you get past the built-in Cardboard demos. It was about 60/40 whether an app would be playable, and even the ones that were were limited to tech demos. Hell, I couldn't even play a couple of well-reviewed games because the two images wouldn't line up and the games provided no way to adjust their spacing.

I guess watching a YouTube video as a low-res floating screen was kinda neat...

I'm tempted to return the viewer because I'm pretty sure it'll be forgotten once the Vive/Oculus/etc... drop in six months.

Yeah.

I figured that would be the case before I got mine, which is why I got one of the ones that cost like 8 bucks. The experience was certainly worth that amount.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Is Lightning the best adblocking browser option out there? I'm really tempted to get the full version, but I already kinda miss the cross-platform tab and bookmark thing Chrome gives me. I'm not sure how I want to reconcile those yet.

LastInLine posted:

I've looked at Weather Timeline a bit and thought about it but I'm just not convinced.

I'm in the same boat you are regarding trying to get away from root apps. I pissed away a bunch of Google funbux recently and Weather Timeline is probably the most life-changing one I've gotten. It's worth a buck or two just for the feature that lets you tell it to give you a notification at a set time if it's expected to rain (beyond a certain probability threshold) that day.

When I get up in the morning I check my phone to see if traffic is going to let me go to the office or if I need to work from home. Now when I do it I also (when appropriate) see an umbrella advisory to let me know if there's more than a 40% chance of precipitation that day. I've forgotten my umbrella a bunch of times in the past, with tragic result, so it's changed my life to have that reminder when I really need it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Meldonox posted:

Is Lightning the best adblocking browser option out there?

No. Use Firefox on your phone as your browser and the uBlock Origin extension for it.

Chrome for Android might also have uBlock Origin as an extension now, but it didn't for a bit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Meldonox posted:

Is Lightning the best adblocking browser option out there? I'm really tempted to get the full version, but I already kinda miss the cross-platform tab and bookmark thing Chrome gives me. I'm not sure how I want to reconcile those yet.

I'm in the same boat you are regarding trying to get away from root apps. I pissed away a bunch of Google funbux recently and Weather Timeline is probably the most life-changing one I've gotten. It's worth a buck or two just for the feature that lets you tell it to give you a notification at a set time if it's expected to rain (beyond a certain probability threshold) that day.

When I get up in the morning I check my phone to see if traffic is going to let me go to the office or if I need to work from home. Now when I do it I also (when appropriate) see an umbrella advisory to let me know if there's more than a 40% chance of precipitation that day. I've forgotten my umbrella a bunch of times in the past, with tragic result, so it's changed my life to have that reminder when I really need it.

Does it do DashClock integration? If it does, gently caress it, I'll try it out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nintendo Kid posted:

Chrome for Android might also have uBlock Origin as an extension now, but it didn't for a bit.

Chrome for Android doesn't have extensions at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

LastInLine posted:

Does it do DashClock integration? If it does, gently caress it, I'll try it out.

It looks like it has a Dashclock integration. The weather here isn't doing anything super interesting right now so it looks like it's the same as the standard Dashclock weather, but that's not terrible anyway. The umbrella warning comes as a notification, for what it's worth. Turn your phone on in the morning, and if you see an umbrella on your status bar grab it on your way out. The other big thing I've been enjoying is a persistent notification that's the current temperature.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No. Use Firefox on your phone as your browser and the uBlock Origin extension for it.

Nice. Really, part of me wishes Firefox would shape up a little so I could switch back to it as my main desktop browser too. I've been using Chrome for years now but I like jumping around.

• Locked thread