Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I just got Tasker to replace JuiceDefender and am liking it a lot so far, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do something.

What I'd like it to do is, while the screen's off, increment a variable once per second until it reaches 30, at which point it would disable wifi/data. I would just tell it to wait 30 seconds and then disable it, but I'd like to be able to interrupt the count by turning the screen back on within the 30 seconds to give me a short grace period.

My problems are that A) Tasker doesn't seem to have a "while screen is off" context, just one for "whenscreen first turns off", and B) that I can't figure out how to make the variable increment only once per second. Having a "wait 1 second, add 1 to variable, goto 1" loop doesn't seem to work, since the variable is constantly adding to itself and reaches 30 long before it's supposed to. Any way to fix either of these problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Widget locker question - I changed to an ics lock with the update, but the drat thing keeps moving around. Sometimes when I go to unlock it will have moved off centre. I tried making it resize small, it goes off centre even more. I resized it to the while lock area, it still goes off-centre. When I go to resize its much smaller than I set it & off centre. Anyone else have this issue?

I have a weird issue where a lot of times if I have my physical keyboard open, it'll try displaying in portrait even though the keyboard forces it into landscape. The result is that I have a tiny clock stretched all the way across the top of my screen and the lockscreen ring sitting in the bottom center. It's kind of intermittent and I keep forgetting to take a screenshot to send to the devs.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Armacham posted:

Amazon App of the day is the Ultimate Guitar App. If you play guitar I'd recommend grabbing it as its good for looking up the chords to random songs you want to play if you suck at playing by ear like I do. It also has a built in tuner, metronome, and chord diagrams.

I was really glad to see that, I'd already bought the tabs app but this one includes all the tools, too.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I'm having a weird error that I can't seem to find the exact solution for on Google, and I figure one of you guys might know the answer.

The past week or so I've been having certain apps tell me that I don't have enough space available when I try to install or update them, and the ones that fail to update seemingly uninstall themselves after a reboot of the phone. Fairly essential apps like GO SMS and Folder Organizer have been the main culprits, but a few others have done it too. The vexing part is that I have over 145 megabytes free on my phone's internal memory. I've tried installing different ROMs (I'm on the newest nightly build of CM7 for my device, an HTC Evo Shift, though I doubt it's the ROM anyway since it hasn't been updated in a few weeks), clearing data for the market, clearing my main and my dalvik cache, and all kinds of things but to no avail. The weird part is that apps larger than those seem to install just fine, it didn't complain about the 25 MB game I just installed. Any ideas on how to fix it?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Maybe uninstall and reinstall the offending apps?

That's sort of the crux of the issue, the apps uninstall themselves and don't let me reinstall them.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Are any of the offending ones on SD? I'm guessing not but worth a try.

How are you putting them back? Titanium?

Are you running some kind of a2sd solution? If not, maybe try?

I was trying first to just reinstall them and then Titanium, neither of which worked.

I used CM7's option to install to SD, which lets me install stuff again, but some of the programs that were affected launch at boot and really don't like being on the SD card. Oh well, maybe I'll try yet another backup/hard reset. I've pared the time they take down to around an hour so far.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

I'm still not buying that this works. How can my lovely pinhole camera, when completely covered, track subtle changes in skin color? Not to mention it has to work across different brands of cameras with different color profiles.

It actually works pretty well, I've been on a new ADHD medication the past few days, and it's an amphetamine so for the first little while my heart's going to do a few crazy things while my body catches up with it. I've noticed that both using the app and timing my pulse over a minute, my results are within a few beats of each other every time (including the time my resting pulse was 120, that one was fun).

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone else been having a weird issue with WidgetLocker? Every time I reboot my phone, the lockscreen widgets don't load; I just get these placeholders that say "Tap to restore widget" and I have to delete and redo all my widgets. It just seemed to start recently.

Have you moved the widgets to the SD card? That'll cause that to happen.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
Folder Organizer's totally essential, I definitely recommend it.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I liked everything about Mixzing except that the album art it would add to tracks was really lovely quality sometimes. I quit using it because, while they already had commercials in the free version (sucked, but skippable), they decided they didn't want people to skip them so they disabled all the device's inputs for the duration of the commercial.

Normally when I want to use something and feel like the ads are in the way, this is my internal notification to buy the product, but that was a pretty bad thing they did and as far as I can tell the whole world dropped the app like a hot rotten potato.

...How did it even cross their minds that that was even remotely okay to do?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

indoflaven posted:

I'm 100% sure that if they asked for an email I would have used gmail. I don't give out my university one for anything. I signed up for another twitter account and used the same email so maybe that messed it up. Guess I will just try and contact them directly.

Do you have your phone number tied to your account? There's a way to request a password reset through SMS.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Really bugs me, too. As it stands it's not useful. Something that you might want to use it for is "hey I tried a bunch of rss readers but there was one I really liked and can't remember the name," but it doesn't work that way because they all show up on your list. I guess if I actually rated everything I downloaded it might be a little more helpful, because it shows the stars underneath, presumably using your rating if it exists. I don't keep that much stuff on my phone but goddamn there's a shitload of stuff that has been on there at one point or another.

I'm trying to figure out why they thought it was a good idea and can't come up with anything. I have to scroll through like 1000 apps to find anything I've actually purchased, they should at least have those in a separate section from "free stuff I uninstalled for a reason and will never use again".

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
Does anyone else have issues using Swiftkey with a physical keyboard? Both on version 2 and the v3 beta, the suggestion bar pops up when I'm using my keyboard whether the option is checked or not. It was really nice to use when I wanted to type in portrait, but switching back and forth between Swiftkey and the stock virtual keyboard all the time got old and I had to uninstall it.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I still use Google Music, but I have so many gripes with it. For one, that aforementioned "display every media file from your SD card" thing. I hate having to scroll through a bunch of folders of notifications and game sounds to get to anything. Of course there's no library management from the app, you have to be at a computer to do that. After that, it's really stupid that you can't tell it which view to start in. I'd like it to start sorted by artists instead of the "Recent" view. Which brings up another point: its design is really weird. When viewing recent songs/artists/whatever in landscape it has that cool 3D scrolling mode, but for some reason it's only available in that view. I really want something that's just a ripoff of Cover Flow, where I can scroll through album artwork sorted by artist.

All of Google's apps are so inconsistent in terms of design like that, and while ICS has made it better they really need to gather the people in charge of each app together and give them a unified look to use. I don't know why People is white/light blue, Play Music is dark blue, Gmail is light grey, the action bar in both Voice and Drive is dark grey (but Voice uses a bold font), Maps is a transparent dark grey, etc. I don't think there's much internal communication at all at Google and it's probably the reason they create and kill off so many services.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

DonkeyHotay posted:

Does anybody have any experience with any of the dozen or so "remote wi-fi/bluetooth mouse and keyboard" apps? Any recommendations? I have my tv connected to my pc and it would be nice not to have to get up every time I want to pause a movie.

I haven't used it a ton, but WIN- Remote by Banamalon works pretty nicely. It doesn't hurt that it's free.

EDIT: XBMC's official remote is also really nice, with the caveat that XMBC is all it controls.

gucci mangosteen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 24, 2012

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I think the newest Market update scans the apps you have and checks them against which you've purchased/installed from there. Back when they were doing the 10 cent sales I wrote to Support about apps I'd gotten from Amazon, et al being shown as "purchased", so I couldn't buy them again from a more reliable market. They wrote me an email about a month ago telling me that bug was fixed, and it seems that any app I install from anywhere else won't show up in my update list. I'm betting that if you detach something from the Market now it just re-attaches it as part of that system of checks.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there anyway to make folders as widgets? Specifically, a folder that can be resized, change the skin, etc...

I don't know of a way to do it natively, but FolderOrganizer lets you create widgets of different sizes, and I think their appearance can be customized (though I don't know to what extent since I've never done it).

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Glimm posted:

This sounds useful, but I haven't found a way to make GoSMS not have that ugly bubble look. Is there any way to get it to look more like the stock ICS messaging app (contact pictures included)?

It's kind of unnecessarily arcane. Go into Appearance Settings-> Conversation other settings-> Default conversation style and set it to "list".

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Can anyone recommend a good system monitor widget? Something to quickly see stuff like cpu speed, ram usage, battery level, etc. If it's skinnable or at least able to have a transparent background, that's a plug.

Elixir 2 Widgets looks nice, I'm not sure if the icons are skinnable but it does have different backgrounds whose transparency levels you can change. It's also really customizable, and you can add toggles and app shortcuts in alongside your system info. I just installed it as a stand-alone, I didn't need all the other stuff the main Elixir 2 app does but it offers some expanded functionality.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I was looking at some of the messaging apps you guys were talking about and found Pansi SMS, it's pretty nice so far. It's really similar to Go SMS (I suspect they've outright copied a lot of their UI and feature set from Go) but they leave out all the bloat and premium garbage.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How skinnable is it? If I can at least customize colors and such I might take it for a ride. GoSMS has become painfully slow for me, but I like to be able to adjust the theme to match however I have my launcher skinned up.

There are a few decent skins in the market, and on top of that it's got an in-app editor for color schemes (again, pretty much ripped straight from Go).

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

XIII posted:

:siren: If you use Apex launcher, I strongly recommend NOT updating it just yet. I did and it immediately started force closing endlessly. Others are reporting the same behavior. Thankfully, I had the latest beta version downloaded, so I installed Nova (from my laptop) and re-installed the beta.

I was just coming in to tell everyone. Not only that, but it seems to have deleted my settings/desktop backups (and for some reason my Titanium Backup didn't contain those) so I had to manually redo everything. Awesome.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I found out about a new e-reader called Fabrik from XDA the other day, it's in beta but gets updated often and seems to work pretty well. It opens pretty much any non-DRM format, but its main feature is that it can read books stored on a Dropbox account. I hope they add support for other services like Box and Drive.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
One thing I like about Apex is that it lets me completely disable the ICS search bar. Unless they've added that to Nova with a newer update, it seemed to only let you remove it from portrait and it still left a big gap where your icons couldn't go.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Nova has always let you remove it from both, and doesn't leave a gap.

I know that it did, setting it to "never" used the "landscape only" functionality so it must have been a bug. I picked it up anyway though, a quarter isn't bad for a backup launcher in case Apex gets screwed up again.

Edit:

LastInLine posted:

It hasn't done this for a long time.

In any case though Apex and Nova seem to be for the most part functionally identical with very minor UI differences. It's nice to have the option of getting Nova for a quarter now just in case Apex gets an update that causes it to poo poo the bed or it becomes ad-infested or somesuch.

Oh, good. I may switch to it, I've only been using the light version of Apex and it'll be nice to have some paid functionality.

gucci mangosteen fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 1, 2012

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any app that works like cheat engine?

I like GameCIH well enough. There are a few others (I think one's called GameGuardian) but they're all pretty much the same thing.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

bomblol posted:

I totally wish Google Music had some way you could pay for a higher song limit. Since then I've just been using Audiogalaxy, which I think may have been recommended to me in the Windows software thread, but it's got an awful interface.. How are Mashup.com and Amazon's cloud music services? Also gonna check out Subsonic.

Emit and Plex are both good Audiogalaxy alternatives, with the upside that they can play video too. If I remember right, Emit was made by a goon.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

If you have Sprint they have a signal extender that plugs into your router and routes your calls and poo poo through the internet. It is free if your reception at home is lovely enough.

Oh man, the Airave. It might have just been my experience but I'd rather go without my phone than deal with that thing again. Without it we only had calls drop due to poor reception, but with the Airave we'd have both calls and texts refuse to go in or out all the time. It needed to be restarted constantly, and the replacements they sent us had the same issues. The icing on the turd cake was when we sent it back: they claimed they never got it and charged us a huge amount. Awesome.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
On the subject of keyboards, Keymonk is really, really great. It's like Swype except you can use multiple fingers/thumbs to slide around at once. I'm kind of in love with it.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I'm looking for a music control app that I'm not sure actually exists. I want to find something that will let me voice control (at least just play/pause, next, and previous) any music app, possibly something that emulates headset commands. There are standalone music players that let you voice control them, but all of my music is in the cloud so that doesn't really work. I've found a few apps that almost meet my requirements, except they make you push a button before speaking, which kind of defeats the purpose. I need something that's either always listening or has an activation phrase.

Does anyone know of something like that? I just want to set my phone up and listen to things while I cook :(

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Having some weird problem with my Llama where it keeps giving me some error message about my security code. I was going to reinstall until I saw this

Why are the boxes greyed out?

Llama's not running, and other programs uninstall / force stop just fine.

Go into your system settings, security, and then device administrators. It's probably checked in there, which will prevent it from being uninstalled. I don't really know anything about the security code though, sorry I can't help there.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
Swiftkey Flow is alright and I know it'll improve (or at least I hope) before it comes out of beta, but I still prefer the absolute wizardry of Keymonk. I'd try the double-swiping thing on the 4.2 keyboard but for some reason it doesn't play nice with the JB rom I'm using.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is only somewhat applicable to this thread I suppose, but it seems like as good of place as any. My music collection on my home PC is larger than Google Music, etc. will ever allow. Is there any software that allows your PC to serve as a server so I can stream the music over an Android device (Nexus 7 on Wifi in my case)? Bonus points if I could use it on my WP7 phone as well.

You can use Audiogalaxy, or if you have a dynamic DNS set up (if your router has DD-WRT it's really easy to do) you can use Emit or Plex. Those might actually have a login service that doesn't require DDNS, I'm not quite sure.

(I'd recommend using Audiogalaxy as a last resort, because it's easily one of the worst-looking apps I've ever seen).

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

SlayVus posted:

I'm looking for a lite launcher for my ASUS TF700. I want to replace the stoxk one as it eats up 30MB of RAM. I also have another app called System UI that eats up another 30, but not much I can do about that.

I want to reduce a lot of RAM usage by either replacing or removing apps.

System UI is your notification bar, among other things. Definitely don't do anything to that one.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

fuf posted:

My old rear end grandmother bought an HTC Desire without telling anyone and the phone is too small and sensitive for her hosed up shaky old lady fingers.

Are there any accessibility apps or options to replace the phone and messaging stuff with something with simple giant buttons?

I've never tried it before, but Big Launcher looks like it'd be great for both seniors and vision-impaired people.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

MentosMan posted:

I'm looking for an app that would allow me to SMS message from my phone's number, and but via my Nexus tablet. Does Google Voice do this, without forcing me to use the Google Voice app to send texts when on my phone?

I think it depends on which carrier you have. Sprint will let you integrate your existing number with GV, though I'm not sure how it works on other carriers because I'm on Sprint. I use it to text from my computer all the time and still receive messages via my messaging app, so it shouldn't be a problem if you use your tablet.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Subterfrugal posted:

So I'm loving the concept of the keymonk keyboard, but I find I'm having to learn how to retype in android. Has anyone else had any luck with it?

I like it a lot, usually I use my hardware keyboard but when I have to type in portrait it becomes really useful.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Nask26 posted:

I need an app that turns off wifi when I leave my house and then turns it back on when I get home. Is Tasker the best way to do this? Is there an app that just does this? Thanks

Llama works really well, it's what I use. It's a lot easier to create profiles in than Tasker.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I think by now all the Holo-style launchers have feature parity, though I use Apex because there was a time when Nova did some things I didn't like. I also like Fancy Widgets, by the same developer, so it was a little bit of a brand loyalty thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I'd love it if they redesigned it that way, but a "forums" tab would be a little useless. How often do forums send you emails aside from confirming your registration?

• Locked thread