Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So does Google Books kind of suck and not deal with footnotes well/at all? Because that is my current experience. I bought the new Terry Pratchett, and as fans know, footnotes are like half the experience.

e: Well I'm convinced the GB app is crap but I think I'm a big fan of the service. Just went on to the website, I didn't even realize that it would let me download it as an epub that I was then able to load onto my Sony Reader. Pretty sweet.

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Footboy posted:

Did you get PRGuitarman's permission to make this?

Constitutes fair use.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to change Opera Mobile's search engine string?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shanakin posted:

Yes there is.

Tap on the search bar, now there should be a little google logo with a down arrow in the left of the bar, tap on that to bring up a list.
"Manage Search Engines" is an option down the bottom. You don't seem to be able to add new ones but you can edit existing ones.

Alternatively, if you use opera on the desktop, I'm pretty sure you can sync search engines among other things.

also poking around in about :config might find something too.

Nice, thanks! First place I looked was actually in opera:config and didn't see anything. Makes sense there was an easier solution. I just want the default google search to not use a crappy mobile page.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jewce posted:

Right now I use google voice and the chrome extension to send/receive texts on my desktop at work. However, I'm getting tired of the fact that GV doesn't integrate with my phone deeply enough to show notifications on my lock screen and poo poo.

Not actually answering your question directly, but I use WidgetLocker and the Google Voice widget to do exactly that - show GV texts and missed calls on my lock screen. You can even flip through them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there any difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile besides the name and the install size?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Opera Mini runs everything through Opera's servers to reformat them, and runs on most lovely featurephones as well as smartphones. Opera Mobile is a full browser that doesn't rely on Opera's servers.

Ahhh, I see. Opera Mobile has an option for "Opera Turbo," which I guess is the only option in Opera Mini.

rotaryfun posted:

How is it as a wallpaper? I really like the image but it looks like it would be pretty small. Hate to see that blown up and pixelated.

It's not great, but I can live with it.

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 5, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Since the games thread doesn't seem to exist anymore

Nah, it's still around, but it got moved to the actual Games forum.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3356846&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What with the sale on, might as well ask - what does the paid version of SoundHound get you that the free one doesn't? Just no ads?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doji Sekushi posted:

So ADW launcher is going to be a $0.10 app this week. So hold off if you were planning to buy it right this moment.

Definitely picking it up to see if it'll make me switch from Go Launcher (which is running rather well on my Thunderbolt.)

I thought ADW launcher was free open source?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm trying out ADW EX - did they remove the ability to swipe sideways to different catalogs from regular ADW? As far as I can tell, the only way to choose a different one is by Menu -> Choose Group. (Also, what the hell - groups or catalogs, which is it?)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

AlexMoron posted:

Yeah. It's the most annoying poo poo ever and the ONLY thing that bothers me about the EX version over the older one. You have to manually add each and every app you want in that group as you get it. I really wish they'd just kept that as it was in the non-EX version and not hosed it up.

What the hell. I love how much snappier EX is, but not being able to categorize my apps and then actually easily navigate those categories is a dealbreaker.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

There's a Drawer Swiping option in General Behavior -> Gestures that may enable this. I have no idea, though.

AHHH YES. Thank you! Why the hell that preference is there and not under the drat drawer preferences... Whatever, cool beans.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

Also, both the new Facebook and Twitter apps are really nice, IMO.

The Twitter app looks like it has potential, but it has some asinine design right now. What the hell is that toolbar at the top with nothing but the Twitter logo and a single button? And why doesn't it give you any control over notifications? Ugggh and the timeline has so much wasted spaaace, why does it need two maaargins

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

Go to your account settings, it still has notification settings! And yes, wasted screen real estate is meh, but it's at least attractive waste, unlike the last UI. I hated that design with a passion.

Derp, you're right. My other complaints stand.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Maybe it's related to the credit card provider. I'm using a VISA-branded debit card issued by my bank (which as far as I know works like any other VISA card) and I haven't had any problems at all, buying or getting the emails.

That's the same card I have, and the Market has been dickish to me all day.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. Find your default launcher, tap it, should be a button to clear it as the default.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd really like to use Emit, but I've never gotten it to work. Running it on a MacBook Pro with 10.7.2, and neither my Touchpad or my Atrix (both on CM7) will stream video. It just fails and says "Something went wrong!"

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Just a guess here as I've never used Emit but I'm willing to wager it's because of Lion's janky SMB implementation. I never could get it to work properly with my phones (although some registry tweaks got it to work with Windows 7) and finally I ripped out Lion's SMB and installed Samba3. After that I've no problems connecting to my MBA.

I'm 99% sure this is the problem you're facing.

Huh, I never thought about that. I've got samba installed, how did you go about stripping out Lion's smb stuff?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boywunda posted:

Try this - On your device in Emit, Settings - Uncheck HTTP live streaming.

I remember the developer saying something like that a few months ago and that's how it started working for me.

This seems to make my Atrix much happier! No more mysterious errors. I just have to figure out why it's squeezing video into a forced 4:3 resolution...

LastInLine posted:

This whole thread was the most complete resource I found when I did it, with this post in particular showing how to disable the Apple SMB daemon and have the Samba3 daemon launch instead.

Thanks for the links! It doesn't seem to have made a difference in streaming, sadly, but it'll probably be a tweak I'll be happy for down the road.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh market...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like Waze for GPS.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ryokurin posted:

Has Waze improved from where it was two years ago? I'm in Atlanta, and back then the maps were sporadic and routing was hilariously bad in some areas, like saying to use streets that hadn't existed in over 20 years or worse.

I've only used it a bit around rural Pennsylvania but it was pretty good

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

yamdankee posted:

I try it on each of the settings and it's like I'm not changing anything. This is all through the app itself, should I try a setting somewhere else?

Check the website

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is the new style just the black Action Bar? Because I was really hoping for an actual Tablet UI like Gmail has, with Voicemails, Texts, Starred items etc in a column on the left, then you could have a threaded conversation column...I've got to stop dreaming, huh.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kind of a dumb question, but if I buy an album from the Market, does Google Music offer any way to download the mp3s later?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! My laptop is in the shop and I really want the new Dr Dog album, and I wanted to be sure I could get it on their once it's fixed.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used to use Alarm Clock Xtreme, but recently I actually set up Llama to run WMMR's Android app every morning. Waking up to the Preston & Steve Show is the only way to wake up.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

So I posted a day or so ago about sound systems. Now this is leaked:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/google-building-home-entertainment-system-for-wireless-music-streaming.ars

Damnit, I wanted something in the next few months, but now I am tempted to "suffer" waiting for this. Realy white people problems right here.

Don't wait for that, the story only says they're building it - if it comes to market, it won't be for at least a year. And can anyone name a Google product that was worth buying on initial release? Much as I love them, they seem to rush a lot of stuff out of the gate before it's really mature.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Web Jew.0 posted:

That... Kinda sucks. Between not having the gesture shortcuts and flash I don't really see a reason to try it. Is it a lot faster?

At least on my touchpad, it actually seems much slower. The syncing with desktop clients is the only reason to use it right now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm seriously considering ditching Google Voice as my primary texting app...

If you're using a phone, you can go into the preferences and choose to also receive texts with the Messaging app. It basically means you get to bypass 90% of GV's weaknesses. You can always switch back to the app if you want/have to send something by wifi, but the cellular forwarding thing - whatever it is, however it works - just seems to work better.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Why did I not know this? Mind. Blown. :aaaaa:

Plus it means you can use stuff like SMS Popup or alternative messaging apps like handcent or whatever. It's pretty nice, no lie.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

So if you do this do all outbound texts come from your GV number?

Edit: just tried it, the answer is no. And it basically just enables SMS forwarding to your phone without having to use the web control panel. Consequently, contacts are not matched since it uses the SMS forwarding "magic" phone numbers.

No, contacts aren't matched - which is stupid, since the whole thing is managed by Google and it should know better. If you text the "magic" number it provides you with, though, doesn't it come up as being sent from your GV number? I switch back and forth and haven't heard reports of weirdness from people. It's still not ideal, I'll admit, but sending SMS messages is so much more reliable than using the official app.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't this what the unified privacy policy is supposed to accomplish?

Google really ought to tie all their crap up in a nice little package. One Google account has all this crazy stuff, email, messaging, social networking, phone/texts, printing, but it's all different platforms that at best acknowledge each other's existences. Why they don't want these platforms under one roof I don't know, but that leaked G+ blog post from a while back made it sound like they just suck at leveraging platforms.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is it even compatible with ICS? I love SMS popup but the developer has a hard time providing updates in a timely manner...

Works totally fine on my cm9 build.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned in the thread before, but I want to heavily recommend Skifta as a DLNA/UPnP streaming app. I was looking for something that would let me stream video from one android device to another (first world problems) and found this. The interface is good if a bit ugly, but it has a great Just Works™ factor. It also has a Mac and PC client, and with basically no configuration or worry I've got media streaming from phone to tablet, tablet to phone, and Mac to everything. It's really nice!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

The Spotify app has been poo poo since an update a couple months ago. If you add a song to a playlist (including starring a song), the app will crash about 95% of the time. If you are just listening to playlists you've already made, or playing songs through the search function, the app will barely ever crash. I'm guessing this is her problem. I'm using an Evo 3D, but I think this problem affects all Android devices.

It pisses me off that I pay them every month and they can't even put out an update for Android. Other platforms have had several updates since the last update for the Android app.

The biggest way Spotify pisses me off is that like 80% of the time it insists that I'm offline. NO I'M NOT. Sometimes I can log out and back in and that works, sometimes I have to reinstall the goddamned thing.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Just setup dropbox, the official app won't sync them onto your phone but you can download the latest version from your desktop, and then upload it back when you're done. There are third-party dropbox supporting apps that will sync both ways but I don't use one so someone else will have to recommend one if that's not easy enough for ya.

If you use Dropbox's Experimental forum build, you can Favorite files and they'll download locally and update to reflect changes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, chrome beta update in the market. I wonder if it works on my Atrix 4G now.

... Oh, now it gives me a message saying Android 4.0 required and closes. But cm9 is ics :qq:

E: wait it's because of this faux123 kernel I flashed, isn't it.

Manky fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If they don't roll up the chrome Web store into this mess... Well, I'll chalk it up to Google being ridiculous again.

• Locked thread