Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Olewithmilk posted:

Any good free apps for podcasts? Apparently they stopped supporting Google Listen?

If you're looking for something that's simple like Listen is, but works phenomenally better, I use ACast. Other things just had too much going on, and ACast is super simple, and even lets you import Google Reader feeds into it if you're transferring from Listen.

e: The reviews on the above linked page are very accurate. Definitely use that as a refference.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I was wondering what all of the fuss about WidgetLocker was since I haven't used it in awhile, and man is it nice. I can't remember why I had a hard time with it last time around, but it's much nicer now, and I'll probably stick with it as it now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Hamburglar posted:

Hey I hate to be annoying but I bought the app and only see options for temperature in the status bar; nothing about the condition. Are you sure it's in there somewhere?

It comes up as a notification. Drag your notification bar down to see conditions.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

LastInLine posted:

This.

I just tried out GO Launcher since there's so many people sucking its dick in here and I find it ugly, much less smooth than LPP, and I couldn't find a decent transparent theme for the widgets (which I found not as good as LPP's by a country mile). Worst of all, no loving popups!

I will say though I've never had performance issues at all with LPP and if I did maybe I'd sing a different tune.

If the widgets you're looking for are Twitter, Facebook and the like, Android Pro Widgets pretty accurately duplicates that Launcher Pro widgets.

I don't mind GO Launcher so much, but I really do wish I could go back to Launcher Pro. I don't really know what I miss, exactly, but I miss it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Syrinxx posted:

Catching up on the thread and the launcher conversation prompted me to switch from Go Launcher back to LPP. Man it's so much faster, I just totally didn't notice how god drat S L O W go launcher had become. I don't really care that the guy hasn't updated Launcher Pro in a while because it just works.

Haha, I just did this the other day, too. I forgot how fast LPP was, and now that I have more experience with caring for my phone, it's really not as bad as remember it being. Also, I got to free up some space by uninstalling Android Pro Widgets. I'm hoping I don't come to regret this.

I also have a quick Tasker question, since I'm pretty bad at it: Is there a way for me to schedule a restart every so often? Alot of the problems that I used to ahve with LPP apparently came from never restarting my phone, and I was wondering if there was a way I could get my phone to do this itself while I sleep.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Roundboy posted:

There is a reboot action, so I would assume if you set up a time between 12am and 4am when not on a call and no motion you would be good

Somehow, I missed the reboot action before. :doh:
Now that I've found it, it ends up that it's not an available action for my device. Whatever, I'll just do it manually form now on, I guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It depends if you have the launcher locked into memory.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? LPP has this option, but it says it may cause instability.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Does AirSync only work if you've got DoubleTwist, or does it work independently of it? Also, is it any better at syncing music, specifically, then AirDroid is?

e: gently caress it, it's 10c compared to it's normal 5 bucks, so I really can't lose out here. I would still like to know these things, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

err posted:

Anyone use Android's bill to carrier feature? Are there any fees or is it as simple as seeing it billed to my monthly statement?

I use this when I can because my bank rejects Google Wallet/Checkout transactions, and I haven't noticed any fees. I imagine, though, that that coms down to the individual carrier. I use T-Mobile.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Am I missing something, or is there no way to make the app drawer in ADW Launcher scroll vertically?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

There is. Go into ADW Settings -> UI Settings -> App Drawer Settings -> App Drawer Style

:downs: I kept checking in "Main Dock" for some loving reason. I think I need some coffee or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Does the free version have backup and restore options in ADW Settings? I think that might be your best bet.

I keep feeling super retarded trying to setup ADW. Is there a way to reduce the number of home screens? I really only need 3, but I can't seem to reduce it from 5. Please help.

e: Found it! It's the edit option in the menu.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 8, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Manky posted:

I'm trying out ADW EX - did they remove the ability to swipe sideways to different catalogs from regular ADW? As far as I can tell, the only way to choose a different one is by Menu -> Choose Group. (Also, what the hell - groups or catalogs, which is it?)

There's a Drawer Swiping option in General Behavior -> Gestures that may enable this. I have no idea, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Pipski posted:

Can I get some recommendations, to save me sifting through all the available possiblities? I need a decent music player, and I'd like it to have a widget with a transparent background option. In fact, is there anything that allows you to edit widgets so you can make them all transparent?

I use PowerAMP. It's a pay app, so it might not be waht you're looking for exactly, but it works very well for me, and they just recently updated the widgets with an opacity option, apparently. It also has a lock-screen player option, if that's something you're looking for as well. There's also management by folder instead of tags, which is a plus for some people.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Sendo posted:

Did the new version of PowerAmp come out of beta yet ?

I've been using that beta for what seems like a fair while now and kind of forgot it was still beta.

I think so. I know it got a pretty big overhaul recently, at the very least.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I've never used it, but it looks like Android Pro Widget's "Timeline" widget mimics Launcher Pro's "Friends" widget. But while APW is free, it costs $2.49 to unlock the Timeline widget.

It does have a specific Facebook widget as well. It's what I use, and it emulate Launcher Pro's widgets very well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I use A-Cast. There is a free version with ads, or a pay version that I can't remember how much I paid. It is very good, and very rarely gives me problems. No widget, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

ACast has four widgets. I just don't know what they do.

Huh. So it does. None of them are listed under ACast or anything, so I guess that's why I never noticed them. How about that?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ManMythLegend posted:

Using Beautiful Widgets, is there a way to bring up the settings/options menu for a widget other then to drag a new one onto the home screen?

I ask, because every time I try to use the "today's date 2x1" widget it just dumps onto the screen without giving me the chance to change its transparency or font color.

Open Beautiful Widgets from the app drawer.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

The Casualty posted:

I've probably got to sit down one of these days and manually re-categorize all those tracks so that the organization isn't totally hosed.

I don't know how you catagorized them personally, but if everything is in folders by artist or whatever, PowerAMP has a library option that lets you select from folders rather than tags.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

LastInLine posted:

Huh, they took Miren Browser off the Market. Here's an old version I found on xda but in the thread people also recommended Boat Browser as a Miren replacement.

As for the ICS camera, I'm sure it requires some support in the ROM to work.

Gonna throw in another thanks for sharing tha Boat Browser link. I was getting fed up with Opera since it took forever to load full sites, but seemingly gimped mobile sites. Boat runs smooth and perfect. Thanks again!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Is GetJar anything like the Amazon app store, where you have to have their app installed on your phone to run any of the apps you get off of it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Is there any app the gives a more in-depth battery use diagram? The stock one is nice enough, but something in the last few day began eating my battery alive, and I haven't installed or run anything differently than I do every day.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Thanks, gonna check this out!

Also, gonna third the Plume recommendation. It's fantastic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

hotsauce posted:

Regarding the Twitter app discussion, what's, uh, wrong with the stock Twitter app? I really like it. Just wish it had an option for a black background to save my precious SAMOLED's battery life (which is 2500 mah, so I'm not destitute or anything).

The app isn't bad necessarily, but for me, the widget was lacking. Plume has a scrollable one.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
To piggyback off of that a little, I don't know if it's a hardware thing or what, but I tried to set up an auto-restart for my phone in Tasker a little while back on my G2/Desire Z, and it said that it wasn't allowed. Is this something that's specific to the phone, or is it because I'm using stock firmware?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

inSTAALed posted:

Any recommendations for apps to use with podcasts?

I use ACast. It has a free and paid version, download schedules, and options to limit when to download and stream. It's really nice, and very simple.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Lawnie posted:

The only thing I don't like is that the math is... too easy. I can do 5 problems on the hard setting hardly even thinking about it. If they were to add some parentheses and exponents it would be a lot more satisfactory, but I can do 9*14+8 pretty darn quickly at this point.

I'm the same way with Gentle Alarm. The math is just x*y+a*b. They make me solve 2, but it's the same formula. Is there any way to make these a bit harder?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
PowerAmp also lets you find music by folder rather than tags. Comes ni handy pretty often.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's finally here! Goons will never need to plug in to power again! (see if you can spot my review :flashfap:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shake.charge

Hahaha, what the hell is this? Even if it actually worked, there's no way a thing like this would require those permissions. I can't believe people actually fall for this.:psyduck:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

FuzzyPickles posted:

Google Listen is crashing and refusing to play my podcasts. Is there a good alternative, preferably free or at least reasonably priced.

I'll always recommend ACast as well. It's very simple, and I think that's the reason I like it so much.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I like Another World's approach to it, where it says "Do you want to run it", and you can pick now and never heard of it again.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'll always whore for ACast due to its simplicity. It's as close to Google Music as I got after several podcast apps that just had too much going on.

• Locked thread