Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Anyone else having sporadic success with G+'s automatic photo upload? I have mine set to only upload new photos when I plug in the phone. It only seems to work half of the time, or it only checks it every few days or something...annoying.

I was, but uninstalling the G+ app and reinstalling it fixed things for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's because the facebook app is made by developers who want to upload all your contacts to their servers and know your location and than come and rape you at night!! Haven't you heard?? :ohdear:

The sad thing is that at this point I'm not sure their developers could even be trusted to pull this off properly. You'd more likely wake up in the morning to find one of them with the first three digits of your parents' phone number scribbled onto a napkin and his dick stuck in the tailpipe of your car.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

rabbitholediver posted:

I don't know if any of you guys have used Circle Launcher before, but it's amazing at reducing app clutter on your home screens. https://market.android.com/details?id=de.dbware.circlelauncher.light&hl=en

I mean this as a completely honest question: what's the advantage of CL over Android's built-in folder function? Is it just that it's a little more visually slick? I've got a buddy who's obsessed with CL, and whenever I mention folders as a quicker, less memory-intensive alternative, he just kind of changes the subject.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Also, Go Launcher doesn't have swipe shortcuts, which turned my 15 dock buttons into 30.

There was a time that it didn't, but they've since been added. There's literally nothing LP can do that Go can't anymore.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I never understood why it was impossible to make an app that just did a nice job of recording both sides. I wish I could have both sides recorded and added to my Gmail account under a Phone Transcripts label like Google Voice voicemails. I do not have a good memory and sometimes this gets me into a lot of embarrassment.

I would imagine there would be some pretty complicated legal issues involved with this.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Everyone was discussing launchers not too long ago, but I didn't see anybody mention Circle Launcher.

I was a huge fan of LPP, and then I switched over to Go Launcher which made my phone slow as gently caress and just made me frustrated.

I went back to Sense and put one circle dock in the middle of my main screen with a bunch of useful apps and I loving love it. It's blazing fast and super simple. I even made the icon transparent so it just looks like there's nothing there but wallpaper. I've also thrown in a couple of other circle docks on surrounding screens sorted by category.

How can I take screenshots of my phone without root?

Can you answer something for me? I mean this as a totally honest question, because you're not the first person to rave about Circle Launcher, and I really don't understand it. What advantages does it hold over just using the stock folder function on your homescreen?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I liked it because it makes the application icons appear right around your fingertip, instead of at the top of the screen. It's ever so slightly quicker than using a folder. It also looks fairly nice.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification—this has been driving me nuts for a while!

Cakefool posted:

Is circlelauncher a complete replacement launcher? I liked the sound of it & if I can replace folders with circular launcher icons that's be great but if not I'm happy with LPP for now.

It's actually a widget, so you can try it in any launcher you want.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

If you're that concerned about privacy, stop posting things on a public service designed to share that information.

Use the service only for private communications and plans.

pst it sounds like he's already reached that conclusion and now just wants to do something about the stuff left over from before he made that transition

edit: Also, it's slightly entertaining that goon-made private browser Beaver shows up in the recommended apps on the page for Exfoliate.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

StickFigs posted:

Is there any way to tell certain services to not start up automatically? I don't want to uninstall them but things like the GetJar service seem to crash and cause slowdowns on my phone. I only want it to be active when I'm actually USING the getjar app or like the amazon store app.

Maybe by next Black Friday they'll have added weapon locations and safe zones to each store.

There are a handful of apps that'll do this, but this is the only one I can remember the name of right now. You will have to be rooted to use any app like this, though.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Roundboy posted:

isn;t this one of the perfect uses of Google Voice ?

No, GV has no innate VOIP capabilities on a phone. You can set up GV to forward calls to a separate SIP account, but it's not as simple as "receive calls over wifi via the GV app".

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Star Warrior X posted:

But it could forward calls to his landline so he doesn't miss then when he has no signal.

Good call, I totally overlooked the landline part of his post.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Are you running a custom ROM? Maybe the author baked Google Music into the ROM. In which case, blame them.

And even in this case, don't really get too mad, since Google Music can ALSO play local files. It functionally replaces the stock Music app, so having it in /system (where it only occupies space you can't use anyway) is really the best-case scenario.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Android Pro Widgets has one identical that even uses the same skins (if you pay for the pro version, which adds some other features too.)

There's also Pure Calendar if for whatever reason you don't like APW. APW is by far the better deal, though, since you also get widgets for contacts, bookmarks, twitter, and facebook.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If you don't want need the calendar view but would like Google Tasks in the agenda I can't recommend Android Agenda Widget enough. It's customizable as hell, free, and good-looking.

Whoa, this looks slick. I'll have to give it a try.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sereri posted:

God I miss being able to pull down the notification bar and having instant access to dis/enable WiFi, GPS and the sort. Are there any apps mimicking this?

Widgetsoid has this feature, but it's pretty well-hidden. When you create a widget, go to the Advanced tab and tick "Notification" and "Invisible".

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hologram posted:

A black square is drawn around the cached area. Remember that navigation won't work if you are in a dead zone even if you have maps cached, as G-Nav relies on the network for routing. Have a safe trip.

Huh? G-Nav uses the network for downloading map data, but once it's got it downloaded and cached, you only need a GPS lock to continue navigating, as long as you stay within the area that's cached.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

deong posted:

What's the best media player for a CM7 Touchpad? I don't care about streaming so much as just playing local files, like on a plane.

Video or audio? For audio, PowerAMP is popular, although apparently the interface is worse than AIDS or something? For video, MoboPlayer seems popular.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Does anyone remember the app that took over setting your ringtone from the standard interface? Made it much easier to select a ringtone from a folder and I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

Rings Extended?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Is there any app the gives a more in-depth battery use diagram? The stock one is nice enough, but something in the last few day began eating my battery alive, and I haven't installed or run anything differently than I do every day.

BetterBatteryStats is where it's at.

The dev also has it for free here on XDA, if you willing to poke around.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

falz posted:

You should consider explaining what 'tonepad' is to those of us in this Android thread that don't own an iPhone.

According to the iTunes page for it...

quote:

TonePad is the easiest and coolest way to make music. Discover the inner musician in you. Create songs by simply touching the screen and seeing notes light up. Share your unique creations with friends.

If you like Andre Michelle's ToneMatrix or the Tenori-On, then you will absolutely love this app.

TonePad features a clean minimalist user interface with a full 16x16 matrix. The sound quality remains excellent regardless of how many notes are playing at the same time.

You can save an unlimited number of songs. The current song is also saved automatically on exit.

Sharing your musical creations couldn't be simpler. You simply press the Upload button and give your friend the song code. Your friend then downloads the song directly into TonePad by pressing the Download button and entering that code.

Please use headphones for best sound. Stayed tuned for more customization features to come. If you like the app, remember to share your song codes with the community by writing a review!

News:

Did somebody ask for ringtones?
TonePad Pro is here!

Users uploading obscenities will be banned.

So...it makes music? Somehow? And it's like a couple of other apps, but better. Well then.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 11, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I thought with simlinking you could move anything?

Yes. But that's different from the native Android android functionality he was talking about (Settings:Applications:Manage Applications:Move to SD Card).

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Oh nooooo!!!!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

We might as well close this thread now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Because the blog was not found? :confused:

Yeah, our last, best hope for useful and informative app reviews is now dead.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Early in one of the app threads, he came in and posted that he had created a blog for app reviews. Which actually just turned out to be a picture of the app icon on a clear desktop and a short description of what the app does. People gave criticism, to which he greatly declined... goon mentality followed.

Pretty awesomely vague site.

It wasn't even that detailed. It was a picture of the app icon and then one screenshot from within the app, which often failed to give even the slightest idea of what the app was about. The "goon mentality" that followed was along the lines of "Hey, maybe you could tell us something about what the app, you know, does?", to which Grimbo responded by saying he didn't want to draw any conclusions for people, as "it's a horrid business".

The mocking that resulted from that is what drove him out of the thread and got the title changed to "Grimbo's blog is the new wiki".

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is related. Should we be excited? Or scared?

Or...both?

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease :f5:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Secx posted:

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and I'm having trouble installing widgets from Beautiful Widgets. The instructions say to hold on an empty space in your desktop, but when I do that, I only see options to select wallpapers. I don't see any options for widgets.

Unfortunately those instructions are for older versions of Android. To add widgets in 4.0, go to the app drawer and tap the "Widgets" tab (or just scroll to the right repeatedly until you get there), and you should have a nice list of widgets complete with thumbnail images of what they'll look like when added to a homescreen. Just drag one and it'll let you place it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

I'm looking for a nice weather widget that isn't beautiful Widgets or fancy Widgets. I tried 1weather but it takes forever to refresh and it doesn't fill my whole screen. I want something that look is nice but that I can preferably point towards Weatherbug whenever I click it from the home screen. Thanks guys.

There's always HD Widgets, but yeah, BW is probably still your best choice.

Also, doesn't Weatherbug come with its own widget?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I have a SGS2 on Virgin Mobile Canada and I could have sworn that you could just Navigation in Google maps for turn by turn voice instruction without having to subscribe to anything. I have a friend in the US who also has this, though on a different phone, and does not pay anything for it.

Is this because I'm in Canada?

According to this it's been available in Canada for over 18 months. What problems are you having, and what are you trying to do to get it working?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I follow those exact steps. When I click on the blue arrow for Nav I'm asked to subscribe.

Do you have a data plan with VM? You don't have to pay any extra fee specifically for Google Navigation, but it does use data to plan the route and download map data, so you need to have some kind of data connection to use it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Yes I do. I wonder if there is something on my phone or profile that didn't get set?

Man, that's bizarre. If other apps are using data without a problem, then I'm really not sure what it could be. The only other thing I can think of to try would be to download Google Maps from the Market; it's possible that there's some kind of carrier modification on the version that came with your phone. Is there anyone here with firsthand experience with VM Canada who can chime in?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I think I found it. Virgin resells Bell in Canada so I just adjusted my search and found this.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/149683-bell-mobility-gps-read-if-bell-user-please.html

Basically Bell puts a Branded app in the phone that requires payment. There are other Bell apps that came stock on the phone so that makes sense I guess.

So the next question would be if there are any free GPS apps that offer turn by turn direction.

It's worth installing the latest version of stock Google Maps and seeing if that works, but if they're actually blocking access to the GPS at the OS level, your only real choice would be a custom ROM. From the looks of it, though, they're only blocking their bundled app, so try the Google app in that link and see if it works.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I went to that link and it told me that Maps is already installed. All I could uninstall were the updates. So I removed those, installed from the link and got the same issue.

So I'm guessing that Bell has it locked.

Man, that sucks, sorry to hear it. At this point your only hope is one of the other apps or rooting.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Well, the main reason is that the nexus s isn't available here at the moment. At least not in the stores/webshops I checked. Another reason is that it costs €50 more. It's also slightly bigger, and I don't really want that.
But most of all, the W is all I need. Because let's face it, I'm only gonna use it to check facebook/read mails/browse SA while at work. So why would I spend more money on stuff I don't need?

The funny thing about smartphones is that once you've had them for a while, you tend to find stuff you'd like to do with them that you never would have thought of before owning one, and often it turns out that a given phone will do those things poorly or not at all. Sometimes this is because someone releases new apps that your phone can't run, or there are OS updates that your phone that your phone doesn't ever receive. In some cases there are even hardware features that are simply broken or absent on your phone. (Ask owners of USA Galaxy S phones about all the neat features that require GPS.)

You're much less likely to run into this kind of issue with a Nexus S than a Galaxy W, since the NS has such great support—both official and from the developer community. I know 50 Euros isn't nothing, but it's a miniscule extra investment compared to what you're paying for service over the life of the phone.

You're also much less likely to run into this kind of issue if you aren't the type of person who gets frustrated by the feeling of "Oooh, that could be neat—wait, looks like my phone won't do it", which it sounds like you might be. We're not trying to give you grief over your choice of phone, just save you from some potential headaches down the line ;)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. But let's worry about those potential headaches when the they occur.
It's a bit obnoxious when you ask something and the answer is: thuh, get a new phone you scrub.

For what it's worth, people were being condescending to Samsung, not you. Like BMG said, it's been almost two years of headaches from them, and the pedigree of the W is not particularly encouraging. Nobody thinks you're a scrub for making that decision, but nobody wants you to be stuck with an unsupported pile of crap the way so many people here were.

And I think the reason we're all trying to caution you about that phone now is that if/when you do run into big problems, Samsung sure as hell isn't going to fix it, and the developer community for the W is neither large nor likely to be long-lived. There's a really good chance that "get a new phone" [b]will be the only available solution[b], which is why it would be better to do it now, when you might still be able to return or exchange it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Other than lovely batteries what's HTC done? They actually unlocked most of their phones.

IIRC most of their GB updates for phones that originally shipped with Froyo have been minor disasters at best.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Add a file named '.nomedia' in the root directory of your Music folder.

This is a great way to prevent the Music app from showing any of your music, too.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

I use Google listen for my podcasts, and really like its integration with Reader. But Listen is buggy, and is clearly someone's 20% project. Is there any decent podcast app that pulls from Reader?

aCast, Doggcatcher, and BeyondPod will all do this, but each one seems to have its own glaring flaws as well. All three have some sort of free trial, so it's worth getting them all and playing around with them before deciding. Personally, I put up with BeyondPod's obscenely bad interface for the sake of its power and its ability to actually sync with Reader (as opposed to just importing feeds from it).

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Spookmaster posted:

I finally upgraded my phone after 6 years and picked up a Razr. So far its great but I'm wondering if there is an app like "universal inbox" that shows notifications for missed calls, e-mail, facebook, and texts all in one window? Universal isn't bad but it doesn't show missed calls and it's always on screen.

There's also Pure Messenger Widget, but I don't think it does Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there an app that lets me set up different settings profiles for different battery states, so for example when I'm charging the phone the screen timeout gets set to 10 minutes but gets set to 1 minute when I'm on battery? Something that can automatically toggle Wifi/4G when a network is in or out of range would be great too.

For the former, Tasker can do this, but it might be overkill if you're not going to use it for anything else. I would imagine Setting Profiles would be able to do it too, but hopefully someone who has experience with it can confirm or refute that.

For the latter, you could coax Tasker into doing that, but goon-made Woofi would be the simpler choice.

• Locked thread