Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think someone posted before that you could get the SDK and run the emulator to do this.

Do you have any details on this? Trying to search the forums (through Google at least) is kind of impossible because of emulators being offered on the Android market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

gmq posted:

Does the Android Market have regional pricing? I think Flick Golf is $0.99 but it says $1.08 to me.

Sounds like exchange rate. Or tax. Or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

How do I change the number of homescreens for ADW EX? I want to have 2 screens instead of 5. I'm looking to switch from LP+ to ADW

Desktop: Menu > Edit; + and X as necessary.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there like, an android emulator for the pc? I wanna get an android game and play it but I don't have the money for an android phone or a new plan.

The Android SDK has a built-in emulator, but it sucks out loud if you want to do anything faster than in geologic time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cakefool posted:

I'm not normally one for live wallpapers but I've ben using Substrate & it's awesome, makes no real difference to battery life either.

Echoing (hopefully not nechroing) that this is the best live wallpaper ever. (There was also a version for Windows XP that I wish to this day worked with Windows 7.)

EDIT: Maybe I only thought it was a wallpaper. It's still available as a screensaver (install as admin; it's safe - or at least that's what MSE says) for whoever even uses those anymore.

Two tips for people who use it:
1) Set your home screen to stay in one orientation, if you can. Switching resets the background, and that's just a shame.
2) Whoever said it was an ICS problem with not starting, I don't think it is: it takes a switch between panels in my home screen (ADW) to kick it off and I'm on CM7 on a Captivate.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Splizwarf posted:

Substrate is available as a live wallpaper, I just got it Friday. However, note that the developer specifically says in the description "I have abandoned this app". In other words, if you like LauncherPro, you'll love this wallpaper.

1) I know it's a wallpaper for Android. I was talking about its use in not-Android.

2) What, exactly, needs updated in it? Can nothing ever simply be completed in the world of software anymore?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

General_Failure posted:

Now I came here to ask about apps. Well, app licenses. I have a couple of Android devices, as does my other half. We have been purchasing apps separately as we both have our own e-mail address.
It looks like multiple accounts can be entered. Could we legitimately do that? and if so can we not get each others e-mails?

You can set multiple Google accounts on the same device. This is probably intended more for individuals with multiple Google accounts than couples, but if it works hey why not.

1) I don't know if you can run apps from both accounts simultaneously; I've never tried - although you probably could unless the developer took pains to keep it from happening. You'd obviously only see one account's stuff at a time in the Play Store, and would have to change the active account from the menu.
2) You can set what parts of a Google account you want to sync. This will keep your partner's e-mail from cluttering your phone and vice-versa - but I don't know if you can set it so you CAN'T receive their e-mail even if you try to turn sync on.

quote:

Asking too because my daughter is getting a tablet and I'd like to have some sort of control over what's installed too. I haven't got a bloody clue how to go about this.

Play Store > Settings > Content Filtering (also might want to set a PIN).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Titanium Backup suddenly thinks every single app on my phone is no longer linked to the Market. The CURRENT backups are linked, and I've turned off the schedule so it doesn't make unlinked backups, but suddenly I can't back up my stuff without considerable future inconvenience.

Yeah, I know, cue half the thread telling me to either buy pro or reimage my phone (or restore ALL the apps, but that's redundant and perhaps doubly so), but I was kinda hoping for a third option.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ceros_X posted:

Anyone able to recommend an app that will let me track packages from multiple package carriers on the same screen?

Parcels.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Switching off WiFi when not using it at home isn't terribly useful unless you have to leave the phone off its charger for a prolonged period - or you make all of the calls. It'll either resort to the cell network (which takes more power and probably has a cap) or just not use internet access (which kinda defeats the purpose of today's smartphone).

While somewhere where you don't have WiFi credentials, it can be useful just to keep it from scanning all the time. But it's still not a battery-killer. ... Unless you're doing data transfers and calls all the time.

It depends on how old your phone is and whether it was designed to actually last all day when you use it for most of the day, but batteries and battery usage on today's phones generally suck a lot less than they did even this time last year.

Zero VGS posted:

There's nothing to remap or customize how Android handles that button? I mean, if you're rooted you can go right in and remap some capacitive/volume buttons to do different things.

At the very least I don't see why they wouldn't completely replace Voice Dialer on an OS level with Google Now since it is strictly better; it can do Voice Dialing, Voice Texting, and a bunch of other things sight-unseen.

You may need a custom ROM to remap that button. Apparently not even CyanogenMod comes with a way to modify headset buttons. There are a few apps that claim to, but not even the paid ones are a sure shot with Bluetooth.

As for why: Voice Dialer is independent of Google. Google Now, for obvious reasons, is not. Some people (beyond Nook and Kindle users (poor bastards)) use Android devices without a Google account.

Seems like the most pointless thing in the entire universe, but it happens.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

loving is the actual name of an Austrian town. Not suggesting invectives is probably a fail-safe measure in case you're writing for work or church or something, since detecting writing contexts is probably (at least right now) a feat a bit beyond the reach of a typing predicition engine, even Google's.

LastInLine posted:

Is there any reason to use AdAway over AdFree?

On my Nexus 7 AdFree never actually picked up on the hosts file, even though I gave it a half hour to do so.

AdAway does not have this problem. I could just keep using AdFree where it works, but I also like keeping my Play Store app history tidy.

Also AdAway allows you custom blacklists and whitelists and it isn't quite so false-positive-happy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You can try fiddling with the GPU-related options in Developer Options, but this isn't isolated to Instagram. It shows up mostly in games, and either they get a situation-specific hotfix or yeah you have to resort to developer options. Something about the CM10 GPU driver for the US carrier "Galaxy S III" variants is broken, and either there isn't a good one that exists or the maintainers don't give a poo poo.

You could switch ROMs, but TouchWiz ROMs are, well, TouchWiz, and not-TouchWiz ROMs are probably using the CM kernel, or at least the same graphics driver.

Or CM9 - at least you're using one of the three (of six) variants that even got a CM9 - but it's been abandoned for close to three months because of new hotness and who cares about graphics.

Yeah, the d2 is stuck in a bad place right now.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 1, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh hey, remember Solid Explorer? The one decent file manager on Android?

Good news: It's out of beta. Bad news: It's gone to 14-day trialware, so if that bothers you this is your heads-up. The unlock is a whopping two dollars, though, and in my estimate that's a steal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

MikeJF posted:

I should know this, but what's the best basic, free keyboard for a 2.3 device. No swiping or anything is really required. I tried Kii, which seems obvious, but it's got this bug on this thing where it takes about five seconds to pop up.

Honestly, default would do me if it had long-press symbols and better visibility on the long-press numbers.

Look for a stock Gingerbread/ICS/Jellybean keyboard on the Market I guess? Keep in mind that if you're using a not-AOSP ROM there's a decent chance you don't have the AOSP keyboard available. (Also I don't even remember if you can use the ripped stock 4.x keyboards on the Market with 2.3.x ROMs.)

I'm partial to Hacker's Keyboard for that sort of thing, but it's far from basic.

Then again, I also paid for SwiftKey, and I tend to choose different IMEs for different tasks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Wow, that Messaging thing sounds like a legitimate killer app.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I wonder how OEMs are going to handle this.

Include it in new phones - existing Nexus # devices and a random smattering of flagship devices will include it without custom ROMs - and call it your own problem if you aren't willing to pay for a new device already.

Better than what the carriers will say.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 5, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

XIII posted:

Any idea why I can't update Chrome Beta on my Nexus 7? It's saying insufficient storage available, but I'm showing almost 6gigs available...

Try uninstall/reinstall. If there's anything on it you care about (that you don't have synced) hit it with Titanium Backup before the uninstall. (Carbon's probably fine too; I just don't like that it tries to back up everything in /[sdcard]/android/data with no granularity - especially when stuff like the Bard's Tale throws four gigs of files into it.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Well, it's not like they could have changed the interface since the days of Series 60. That would demonstrate a lack of commitment.

Fake Edit: Oh holy wow, JBak Task Manager is still a thing too!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

I feel like Microsoft really missed the boat by not getting the Xbox Music client out for android before All Access.

More likely Microsoft held Xbox Music off of Android to drive sales of New Windows products.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

booshi posted:

Is it kosher to discuss the emulator apps on the store? I'm traveling a lot this summer and have 1 FF game to beat but I don't think I'll be able to lug my snes around.

Also any game recommendations for longer, more in depth games? Plane rides are boring.

As long as it doesn't drift into :filez: you're good.

SNES9X EX is pretty on the ball. If you ever want to go beyond JRPGs you may want an external controller.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Never said, and hopefully didn't imply, that they knew what they were doing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

What phone/tablet/whatever do you have?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Some Exchange servers demand remote wipe capability as a condition of being connected.

Touchdown can basically wall off Exchange in such a way that the remote wipe only kills Touchdown's partition, rather than your entire user image.

If BYOD is compulsory (or even simply the path of least resistance) at your office, it should be obvious why it's worth :20bux:.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It WAS a hardware issue, and one you probably should have corrected for two years ago; Galaxy S phones that didn't have that problem have been manufactured and pretty much been the only versions available since at latest the end of 2010.

Depending on the carrier even the S3 may not have been a good move; North American carriers didn't get the real Galaxy S III but a dual-core variant with LTE and whatever balkanized 2G/3G radio standard they use. All of them have kinda glitchy GPU drivers and the AT&T variant especially is kind of a nightmare (ask me how I know) with the radio ROM and interface (especially when it comes to trying to select your bands or, on custom ROMs, use 4G at all) - the latter only being fixed in the last week of CyanogenMod nightlies and the former oscillating from fixed to broken seemingly at random.

And Samsung is no longer supporting the ersatz Galaxy S III (except for the Rogers version, and its June OTA update was still only 4.1.2!) because the Galaxy S 4 - which was apparently not so tortured - exists now and also see below.

If you can, you should probably look into returning it and... well, between manufacturer add-ins and carrier 'tweaks' (read: poo poo-ups) and the willingness of not just device manufacturers but component manufacturers to drop support as soon as possible (in a few cases before devices have hit shelves) my experience with Android has told me anything but a Nexus* is probably a bad move, and this is close to the worst time to get one because they usually come out in November - although whether that will even happen this year is up in the air, with their Google Play Edition whatever that's still retail price despite not having any manufacturer stuff involved and the last Nexus being priced two hundred or so dollars below its equivalently-specced third party competition.

On the other hand I'm known for being neurotic about these things.

*Anything named Nexus carried on Verizon, even if it uses official Google branding, is still not Nexus.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 22, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If you choose to persist on the Galaxy S III:

App labels are something you're stuck with unless you use a different launcher. Nova Launcher is pretty much the go-to on any Android 4.x device.

You MAY be able to recover your old apps from 'all apps' in the Play Store (as opposed to 'installed apps'). Alternately see if you can't grab the .apks from your old phone (ES or Solid Explorer isn't bad for this). You may almost certainly will need to root it to do this and if you already turned it in (why would you do this) it's kinda late for that.

I don't know if your carrier will allow a return for 'battery issues'. It might just be jerkass apps. Go into battery stats in settings and see what's running it up; you may not be able to disable all the culprits, and some you probably shouldn't - if you are not confident that you know what the app does and what disabling it will do, ask us first.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 22, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

abraham linksys posted:

Why this isn't on the Play Store is loving beyond me.

Because intellectual property law in the United States would confound all the lawyers of Hell put together.

If you want a VLC that updates get it from F-Droid - as a bonus it comes as an alternative store and Android doesn't care if you have those (see Amazon App Store/Humble Bundle downloader/etc) so long as they aren't on Google Play.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

What just happened to the Office Mobile app? Why do I have to log in again? Why is it warning me that my credentials will be in plain text?

What's New posted:

Support for Office 365 operated by 21Vianet.

Uh.

I mean yeah, I got it to keep using my existing login by crashing it, clearing its cache, then syncing OneNote and reloading Office (which is how it worked before), but I'm not sure if this is normal Microsoft-on-not-Microsoft strangeness or a legitimate 'uh oh'.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

POP3: 80s garbage bullshit that acts like a grandpa postbox. gently caress POP3.

IMAP: actual grownup client/server e-mail. Like Gmail, only standardized.

Exchange: Like Microsoft Exchange. Hotmail/Outlook.com work like this too if you don't just use the Outlook app.

Some ISPs use IMAP everywhere, others only (officially) on phones :psyduck:, still others use all POP3 like prehistoric cave monsters or something.

You'll have to bug your e-mail host (usually an ISP but you can get super-separate e-mail service from people who aren't Google or Microsoft) to find out which one to use and how, if just feeding your phone an address and password doesn't work.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I think he means like in search results and category/collection overviews.

Not everyone has read the Google Design site in its entirety, grilldos.

That's a weird-rear end bug, by the way. Make sure it isn't among your installed apps (like in Settings) and also maybe try rebooting.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I remember Substrate being :catdrugs: but it hasn't been updated since Holo and I don't know if it's on the market anymore and also it will punch your battery in the junk.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

NASA App. Top of the Settings lets you use Astronomy Picture of the Day, NASA Image of the Day, or both.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The Nexus 7 (2012) was even more dog-slow under Lollipop (factory image sideload) than 4.4.4 or CM11. And after trying it with ART in CM11 for a few days, and noticing the same kind of slowdown... I wouldn't be surprised if ART and the N7's crappy NAND made for a perfect storm of slog.

And hyperactive memory management, forcing the system to go back to the NAND again and again, really would explain it nicely.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

News: Instead of fixing the broken wallpaper replacer in their app, NASA pulled it.

Views: NASA has some explaining to do. :bahgawd:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Quickoffice and Google Drive are both real straightforward.

Quickoffice got pulled from Google Play but Android Police never forgets.

Google Drive won't see local files unless they're mirrored from your Google Drive (natch), and the Docs/Sheets/Slides apps that replaced Quickoffice won't do things that aren't in their wheelhouse, so you'll need a third-party file explorer. EDIT: Yes, Google Drive will read local PDFs if something else invokes it; it just can't do it on its own.

If it's any consolation, Google Drive probably has the better PDF rendering.

Or you can get Adobe Reader, which is at least a better idea than using Adobe Reader on a general-purpose PC.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Resdfru posted:

I just got an LG G3 and I'm having issues with exchange. If I leave it on Push for update frequency it will lock my exchange account out. We have hosted exchange so I don't have access to the server to change anything regarding lockouts. I used the same setup on my Cyanogen S3 for years and it was fine so its something that this phone/email app is doing I think. For now I just have it set to get mail every 15 because having to unlock my account every 15 mins sucked. Its not a password issue either, if i leave the popup for the password open and unlock my account I can log in again without changing the saved password.

forgot to ask- anyone have that issue? I googled for hours and found there were issues with kitkat and exchange active sync but supposedly all resolved months ago. Plus, I was on kitkat on my S3.

Gmail 5 uses its own Exchange Services app. (You'll have to download it from APK Mirror since you're not on a Nexus.)

Nine has the luxury of your work can't pave your phone remotely, just the Nine Exchange section.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1) What do you have against Google Authenticator, exactly?

2) Authy involves bringing yet another third party into your security.

3) I don't know if KeePassDroid does TOTP generation but Keepass2Android does. (Same rules apply as normal Keepass: use a private key that isn't just something downloaded from the Internet and don't put the private key in online storage with the database, just move that over USB.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

1) The best part about Authy and presumably the reason he's looking into it is that the you don't have to repeat setup to use it and you can have it in multiple places and on multiple devices.

2) So? It's an RSA key, whether it's Google or Authy it's still a third party.

3) Keepass is great unless you're a normal person. If you want any semblance of not janitoring for your security constantly Keepass is not worthy of a mention (also how do you move the database? Isn't that via ~*~*THIRD PARTY IN YOUR SECURITY*~*~, i.e. Dropbox?).

All a second factor does is stop someone from remotely accessing your account by requiring the person have a physical object to log in. Authy does that exactly as well as Google Authenticator and does so more conveniently.

1) Convenience is nice, I'll give you that; convenience being the only priority (even over quality posting) seems to be your MO in particular, though, so maybe it doesn't carry the weight you want it to.

2) Or any other time-code generator.

3) Or any other file storage, and without both the password and the private key the database is basically a one-time pad. (Obscuring its identity as a database only on top of all this, not on its own, you pedants, may come in handy.)

As to why I'd rather do it that way? Law firms and banks, who are actually accredited and regulated like people who are worth trusting with security matters, don't generally have password or additional-factor management services for the public. And without either that regulation or some way to verify those companies are handling security and a make-whole clause on default (and good luck getting those in the US), you're basically trusting some jerks with a web site and a catchy name with your online identity (and increasingly your actual identity).

Edit: Before I forget. Yeah, I know ultimately you're trusting "some jerks with a web site" with most things on the Internet. But at least most of the time you're only trusting them with security involving them, for purposes involving them, and PCI and HIPAA mean either they're deferring things to the source if it's actually close to you or you shouldn't deal with them. LastPass and Authy and other such services involve you trusting them with security involving everybody, with no clawback provision. At least Google is too big to ignore, for all the good it'll do.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 3, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay, yeah, "secure enough and convenient enough for the general public to get a meaningful degree of security" is something I can't really argue against. I guess I really just want this new generation of internet security brokers to have some actual not-"paper tiger" oversight under which to operate.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It's not about the methods (I wouldn't wish the methods in place in most banks and law firms on war criminals) - it's about having a guaranteed recourse when when your credentials are misused or leaked or lost or something else goes south.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Android App Thread - Your Bank Sucks

Also none of that changes the fact that internet security brokers should probably be accredited, audited and bonded as a matter of course. Right now they get basically no scrutiny at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Naar posted:

Any recommendations for a music player app? It needs to have the option of a folder view rather than automatically working off metadata. I'm really just looking for the equivalent of Rockbox on my phone.

Use a file manager and let Play Music run it?

• Locked thread