Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Also, Awful, the Somethingawful forum browser app is another great goon made app for android.

It does a great job of formatting the forums to be easier to read on your phone. I think it has some tablet support too.

Since this is probably going to drive a significant amount of new users to the Awful app, it's worth pointing out that the app recently had a major overhaul, and bug-squashing is still happening at the moment.

The big one is that "jump to last unread post" is not currently working as intended, and the workaround is to go to forums.somethingawful.com in a web browser, then to User Control Panel -> User Options -> "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" -> Yes.

The other big one is that if you click a link in Awful, and come back from the link without closing Awful, then click another link, Awful will crash and the link won't be opened.

Ferg (the lead dev) says both issues and more are fixed in the upcoming version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the issue with LauncherPro?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Does Go Launcher support landscape yet?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I use LittlePhoto for taking photos and JustPictures! for a Gallery replacement. I wish it was possible to set something other than Gallery as the default for a "photo gallery" request from an app.

The workaround for me for the fact that Gallery is a piece of poo poo is to put a .nomedia file in every folder that I don't want it to index, then setting JustPictures to ignore .nomedia files, since (the whole reason I got it) you can specify exactly which folders you want it to index in the first place (gently caress you, Gallery!). You can set it to display your folders as a heirarchy tree, which is lacking everywhere in Android (gently caress you, Music!). Also apparently you can specify non-local folders, like flickr albums and stuff; haven't played with that at all.

Mixzing (the free version), by the way, used to be cool because its functions were great and the commercials were skippable with the "back" button; now not only can you not skip the commercials, but the home/menu/back and volume buttons are disabled until the commercial finishes. That was a shocker of an update.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 24, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Sweet, I didn't think it was in the list of changeable defaults. Thanks for the heads-up!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

the posted:

My Transformer has both "Zinio" and "Zinio Reader." Which one am I supposed to use?

Neither. v:v:v

Seriously, Zinio is loving terrible; service provider-bundled crapware, a good example of the bloating everyone complains about.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Recommend me an app that will track my bandwidth usage on a per-app basis. Somehow I've burned 65% of my monthly data today, and haven't even been texting. Received three emails and that's about it.

Not looking for a widget-only app like Radioopt's "Traffic Monitor", just something I can open when I want to know what's what.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Most apps like this require to be running (monitoring/logging your bandwidth) at all times and consume battery. It's been a while since I've used it but I remember "3G Watch dog" doing something like this and being popular. What I'm not positive on is whether it monitors per app use.

I used to use this, yeah; it was nice but only monitors overall in/out, not per app. Thanks for the suggestion!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

IT Guy posted:

If you're rooted then spare parts will show per app usage.

That's per-app battery usage, I need it to track data.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

hey santa baby posted:

However, there is also My Data Manager, where even the free version tracks per-app use. It also seems relatively accurate, so you may want to give that a try.

Weirdly enough, this is not compatible with my device (Dell Streak 5 on stock rooted 2.2). I've run into things that didn't work right before (Steambirds was the most frustrating) but haven't been blocked from downloading them since I got 2.2. v:shobon:v

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

leftover posted:

I've been using Go launcher EX for some time now and loving it. I was wondering though if when you place a folder on the dock bar if it's possible to get it to show more apps per page:

My screen would be able to show more but it only shows 8 with the rest on further pages. I looked in all the menus, am I missing something obvious or is it unchangeable?

You want to look at FolderOrganizer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So, I didn't find the option to clear the default image viewer on Gallery in Manage Applications so I said "Well, maybe if I delete it I'll be prompted to select something next time something asks for Gallery." So I uninstalled Gallery using Titanium Backup, and this has proven to be a dumb move, since now apps just crash or throw an error when they ask for Gallery instead. Win some, lose some.

So I found and installed the stock 2.2 Gallery .apk (the same one I had), and it crashes anytime it tries to pull image details, and also for a couple other triggers that I haven't pinned down. Oddly enough, after re-installing Gallery (although not to /system/app this time, which is probably the source of the crashing issue), I was prompted to set a default for one of the calls, but not the rest of them.

Couple questions: why wasn't I able to clear my picture viewer default in the first place? Is it crashing now because I don't have it installed to /system/app? Is there any app out there that can force a default to clear or be switched?

And most importantly, why can't I just tell Gallery which loving folders to stay out of in the first place? Putting .nomedia files everywhere is a lovely solution because I can't count on every other app I ever use being able to ignore .nomedia files. I want Gallery to index Pictures, DCIM, maybe Videos, maybe Download, and nothing else; I want it to stay the hell out of Music and Books where there's literally thousands of tiny .jpgs in individual folders. JustPictures is everything Gallery should be.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Urfdser posted:

Not sure if its any different than installing the apk you did, but you can try restoring the backup of Gallery from Titanium to see if it works properly.

Well, yeah, if I'd made a backup. v:3:v

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Wait, you used Titanium to remove apps but have never made a backup of your system at all? What did you buy Titanium BACKUP to do?

Yeah, hence the fruity retard face. I backed up everything else, including system files, but for some idiot reason it didn't occur to me to do it for this.

Actually, now that I think about it, this was the first thing I'd uninstalled with Titanium Backup and I was expecting it to kill the backup as well; I assumed that "Freeze" (a paid feature) was what I'd use if I wanted to keep a backup but have the app uninstalled. Uh, so what does Freeze do then?

e: also, I didn't buy it, I downloaded the free version, and only to remove the baked-in Facebook official app that some rear end in a top hat thought I'd like to have in /system. It's used more of my battery than any other process and I've never opened it a single time. Then... unfortunate tinkering happened.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 8, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Anyone know of a clock in the same visual style as Arc Clock Widget that I can actually change the size of? Arc Clock is cool but I want it to be 7 times bigger or about 3 times smaller.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I don't have a good app suggestion beyond RealCalc (nice but I'm not sure meets every item on your list), but have you considered getting some Eneloops for the calculator?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

When you put files into your Dropbox on the phone, they should show up immediately on your PC and on the web interface. The problem is when you put files into your Dropbox folder on your PC, those do not get pushed automatically to your phone; you have to manually download each one and can't even do it a folder at a time. Thank god someone made Dropsync, which takes care of this issue pretty drat perfectly.

I have a question of my own: I really like Folder Organizer. Is there anything that auto-tags apps that integrates with it? I remember in the last thread AutoAppOrganizer was mentioned as a candidate but I put them in a cage together for a whole week and they still haven't mated.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

I don't think this happens for me. I'm pretty sure I have to manually hit "upload" for each file. Not too big a deal for me, but I'm glad to know there's an automatic syncing option. I may also have some settings set weird.

I think you can set it to only synch when you're on wifi, maybe that's what's going on? Also, I could be wrong because I've been using Dropsynch with Dropbox for a while; it's seamless, like two halves of an eggshell, and I don't have to care anymore.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Here's my theory: Amazon has an App Store because having an app store was really trendy when they got theirs, but now like a designer puppy any long-term investment made by idiots following the latest "hip thing", it languishes in despair while its owner goes out and chases something new and interesting. Amazon hates you and wishes you would leave it alone.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 11, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh god, are you saying the Fire is running Android and locked to the Amazon App Store? :suicide:

I hadn't paid much attention to it since I've always had a boner for a Nook Color and they just did the best thing developers can ever do in my book: make the exact same thing only more betterer in every way.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Haha, "You're welcome to use my car any time you want. Looking for the keys? I left them on the moon."

"Also I filled it with cement."

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's gonna go over like a house on... fire. v:v:v

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
In other news, the 1.5 update (about a week ago) to Netflix was total shitware and doesn't work for the vast majority of users, so how did they work to resolve it? Well, funny you should ask: starting a week ago, the 1.4 version of the app (which worked great!) just yelled at you about how you should probably update, and today, instead, it gives you a message that you can't access any content without updating. Not to 1.6 or 1.5.1, but to the same 1.5, that everyone is still complaining about, only now with a big dose of indignance over the forced update!

On a completely unrelated note, Netflix froze then rebooted my phone 4 times today until I gave up and read a book for my lunch break. :sigh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Throwing a vote in for Thumb Keyboard. Also one for Hacker's Keyboard, which is a full PC qwerty keyboard in case you need to remote into a real computer or whatever. Don't use Hacker's too often but when you do need it, nothing else will do. Both have real loving arrow keys and a 'delete' that is not right next to 'enter'.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Is anyone having trouble with Netflix since the latest update? I was forced to update it on my CM7 TouchPad and ever since it's been freezing and force closing a lot.

Yeah, I was bitching about it on the last page. Basically they updated, it was awful and everyone complained, so as a "gently caress you!" instead of fixing it they made it mandatory instead of optional without altering the update in any other way. It's freezing and force closing for pretty much everyone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Aatrek posted:

I reduce app clutter on my homescreens by not putting so many apps on my homescreen.

I do it with FolderOrganizer and LauncherPro. I don't have apps on my homescreen, just a scrollable dock and an Elixir widget.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I found that ditching the suggestion words entirely freed up too much valuable real estate, I can never go back.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That means Motorola paid for it for you, you're good to go. Don't delete it, because it's not on your list of Paid apps on your Google account.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

One of the things I really liked on my TouchPad in WebOS was the keyboard, especially the dedicated numbers row.

The other thing I like besides Hackers is Thumb Keyboard, same reasons: dedicated numbers and arrows. Hackers is a little big for me but I really like it. Thumb is shaped better.

e: Hey goons, is there any potential downside to Google Music? IIRC the internet was up in arms originally about the possibility of getting screwed over :filez:, did that pan out?

I jumped on the Amazon MP3 Cloud thing when it came out and that's turned out to be a complete waste of $20 because nothing plays on any of my devices (including my FIOS-ed PC) for longer than a few seconds at a time due to I guess lovely buffering. I was all about "oh it's growing pains for a new service, it'll get better" but it's been a couple months and nothing's improved. So now I'm investigating other options.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 15, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can't see it costing more than Amazon without a big unrevealed hook so I guess that's okay either way.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's a loving nice thing to hear, actually, since Amazon's service that I actually paid for has unlimited songs but something retarded like a 20mb cap on any one file; at that point it's not just DJ sets and live music that's hosed, it's songs over 5 minutes like the Planisphere series and stuff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What is there in the way of music players that 1) won't require good tags and 2) respects directories. Optional: 3) has an EQ.

Mixzing used to be good for this but it's become lovely in recent updates.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I guess they turned off Google Music invites in preparation for tomorrow? I have the best timing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

They did? I still have three, if you want one.

I'd love one, username at gmail.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Soliciting a Google Music invite from anyone at this point (username at gmail), would like to get in before the clock ticks 12 tonight.

A question has come up as my wife and I have talked about tablets tonight: can a rooted Nook Simple Touch run the Kindle Android app? I found a small "yes" with my googling but couldn't tell if that was pleasantly useful or just a barely-functional proof-of-concept.

Her main issue is a lot of her books are in .mobi and none of the format converters we've tried have done a great job (mostly leaving a shitload of arrows all over the place).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Athenry posted:

Just sent you one.

My thanks! :tipshat:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Either way, have you tried caliber for converting? Works great for me going the other way (epub to mobi).

Yeah, that app is definitely the top of the heap; it does work very well going that direction, but so far every .mobi that we've fed into the input hopper has come out sort of lovely. Issues range from leftover arrows to random font changes to big dead spaces to mangled text; mostly just leftover arrows, but still irritating enough that the Kindle app would be preferable.

Also she's not jazzed about loving with a converter in the first place, she's coming from the Apple environment where stuff just works.

I found some more definitive stuff about how well the Kindle app works on a rooted Simple Touch last night after I posted, so I think we're both getting them now. :shobon:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Google hardly charges anything for their services. They likely aren't going to all of a sudden charge a hundred dollars a month for Google Music.

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind is that Google makes most of their money on using or reselling your usage data. The don't need to charge you anything to make money off knowing what your music preferences are.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You need a way to overcome the Freecycle issue, ie how do people who see it on the map know there's any left? If the retailer's not updating the posts, and quickly, every listing will produce a minimum of one disappointed user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If the sale reflects trying to clear out items rather than a timed discount on guaranteed-in-stock items, a timer is meh. It might be useful if the retailer put it up because they might have a hard "toss everything if it doesn't sell by Friday" date.

To clarify my earlier point, though, if the average user goes out of their way to run down a deal that isn't there, and it happens more than once in a good while, they're probably not going to keep using the app. v:shobon:v

I think your best traction will be found by contacting store managers personally, because the utility is obvious but the higher-ups don't have much invested in making sure the tail end of perishable stock sells; however, that will be extraordinarily time consuming even if you just focus on a single city. I know it hurts to see it happen, but spoilage is built into business plans. The only people with skin in the game on this are the bargain-hunters.

I think that something that eats tweets and shits deal notifications is probably the way to go, but I would suggest a 1-strike expiration for deals. The next user to go past can always re-establish the deal, after all.

... I put up this fat wall of text and only at the bottom did I realize that you're basically trying to make Foursquare. Go use that.

• Locked thread