Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

Does Go Launcher support landscape yet?

I just installed it and yes, it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

opensignal

This really put the hurt on my battery. I turned off all the reporting and other settings and my battery graph was still littered with blue bars on the "awake" section. I only found it was opensignal by trial and error as it didn't show up in spare parts under partial wake usage. After removing it I actually have solid black sections on my "awake" bar.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Have any of you tried either of the thermostat applications? I have Westar and their fancy internet thermostat so I'm going to try this later:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mktgdept.thermostat

I guess there's also this one for the WiFi thermostats:
https://market.android.com/details?id=RadioThermostat.com

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

It's been said but there's nothing android nerds like better than breaking a privacy breach story (see also: recent Dolphin browser news). So since goons, xda and everywhere else loves LBE and have no factual negative things to say about it I am happily running it.

Besides, the number of bullshit apps that it helps you prevent from ACTUALLY intruding on your privacy makes it more than worth the risk.

The difference is it's easy enough to figure out what other applications are doing, but LBE gets root so it can do whatever it wants.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

I'm surprised that people are worried about LBE but no one gets all :tinfoil: about MIUI, a closed-source ROM from China.

I haven't tried MIUI for this reason.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

XIII posted:

Swype updated (via the app, which was nice) to include the smiley key again!

Does that mean I can remove the installer?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Just got my droid, so I'm new to all of this... What app would I use to set my wallpaper to change automatically during certain times of day?

I use wallswitch

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

IT Guy posted:

I sometimes watch online courses (lynda.com) on my Android 3.2 tablet. I can't seem to find anyway to fullscreen the flash video. Is there an app/alternative browser that will allow me to do this?

If you long press on the applet, does a bar appear across the top with a rectangle on the left? If you press that it should go fullscreen. On some of them you can also double-tap the applet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I'd love one, username at gmail.

It turns out I didn't know there were invites, so I have 8 to give out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Do you know of a way to have it stretch to fill the screen? When I click that maximize button, it basically keeps the flash video in the center with a huge black border on all sides. It could be the original resolution of the video, but is there a way to fill the screen with it?

When you press the maximize button, it just maximizes the Flash applet itself, so the video you're looking at is probably a widescreen video in a more squarish applet. I don't think you can change Flash's behavior, but you can probably get it the size you want by pinch-zooming on the page itself.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Is the Amazon store completely retarded for anyone else since the last update or so? If you have an update, you select it and it starts to download. Once it downloads you get the standard Android "Install dis poo poo" screen. After it installs, you get the other normal "Install complete" screen with the option to open the freshly installed application or dismiss the screen. Then for some reason you get prompted to install again (replace) as well as getting a notification letting you know again that the fucker was installed that says "Tap to launch." Oh, and if you decide to download something that requires wifi and you're not on it, the downloading notification is stuck there until you connect to wifi and download or clear data for the Appstore. I guess they tried to make it easier but it just throws up a bunch more poo poo that gets in the goddamn way.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions on the best app/widget to monitor minute usage on the phone?

If you're a Verizon user, MyVerizon will tell you all this stuff. I'd imagine there's something similar for other carriers.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I played around some more with that JuiceDefender and drat, is that thing ever worth it. I fully charged my stock SGS2 last night, turned on the JuiceDefender, switched off WiFi and didn't touch it again until this morning. Twelve hours later and it has barely lost 5% charge. I could leave the thing running for well over a week now, wow.

How long does it take for your data to come back on after you turn on the screen? On my phone (Droid X) it took several seconds. It was incredibly annoying to have to wait to use my phone each time, so I uninstalled JuiceDefender.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Roundboy posted:

2) Are the phone theme/skins easily replaced? I really like the font / overall looks of other android phone screen shots, and my moto razr just looks 'different' I really would like to move it more in line with the standard. I am rooted, but is this a ROM thing or will beautiful widgets or something help here?

Rom Toolbox will let you change fonts and quite a few other things.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AlexMoron posted:

Has anyone had any problems with Amazon Appstore using a shitload of CPU recently? The past few days, I wake up to about three warnings from Watchdog that it's been detected above threshold (over 80%) and now matter what I do, I can't get it to stop. I make sure to kill it whenever I'm done with it so it shouldn't be starting back up unless I purposefully open it again.

My last resort before just uninstalling it altogether is reverting back to an older version I have with TB.

The Amazon store is an absolute shitpile. I broke down and bought Autostarts today and found out Amazon wants to fire up all the goddamn time. If you have the previous version I'd recommend reverting, because the newest version only adds frustration. At least the old version didn't constantly notify you about poo poo you've already done.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

fudsak posted:

Careful, I think Amazon needs to run and phone home once a day in order to use its apps. That could kill my alarm clock in the morning...

Haha I use Gentle Alarm as well. I'm not sure if you remember, but there used to be a licensing problem with it in the past. What would happen is the alarm would go off, but if you tried to enter the application to dismiss it, it would give an error saying to redownload from the Amazon store. I'm guessing that's the worst that could happen. I open the Amazon store once a day anyway to see what they're giving away, so I'm not too worried.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Manky posted:

What with the sale on, might as well ask - what does the paid version of SoundHound get you that the free one doesn't? Just no ads?

I think you get the widget.

404notfound posted:

How do I stop the Amazon appstore notifications? Also, can I get the free daily app without having to download it? I can just delete it from the cache folder, but it's extra work.

There's no official way to do either of these. The Appstore is a goddamn pain in the rear end and I hope Kindle Fire buyers complain about it until it gets fixed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

But you can only buy them if your current device can run them, which is pretty lovely (for instance, I'm pretty sure I'm getting something that can run Asphalt 6 for Christmas, but my phone can't handle it). It's gotta be worse for people on stuff like an N1 waiting for Christmas. Is there a workaround for that?

I think someone posted before that you could get the SDK and run the emulator to do this.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Grawl posted:

How is SwiftKeyX so different from the usual keyboard (why should I buy it)?

It predicts words based on your typing habits. On first launch, it will ask to scan your text messages and some other stuff. It will also predict words before you type any letters. Also it's 10 cents.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

No, GV has no innate VOIP capabilities on a phone. You can set up GV to forward calls to a separate SIP account, but it's not as simple as "receive calls over wifi via the GV app".

I think it's as simple as using GrooVe IP, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Superuser permissions has it accepted, but I still get the little popups, Running cyanogen mod on Droid Incredible.

its basically everytime I get a message send a message, a little popup says "handcent.sms. blabbity bla bla bla bla superuser accepted"

Those are popped up by superuser.apk. I don't use handcent. Why does it need superuser permissions?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I'm using Go Launcher Ex but I have the other two popular paid launcher apps, and I like everything about it except that screen transitions are really slow and clunky on Go Launcher, while they're super smooth on ADW EX and LPP. Should I take the time to switch to ADW or LPP again, or is there any way to get Go Launcher Ex to use a simpler transition effect? I went through all the ones the app came with and the only one that isn't obnoxious is cube (outside) and it makes my phone lag.
From home:
menu->preferences->Effects Settings->Desktop Transition effect->Default
will set it to the minimal slide animation.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Are email receipts working as well? I got everything about an hour ago by just trying a bunch of times despite the error meessages, and figured the emails would show up whenever Wallet was back to normal. But so far nothing.

Not that there's any harm done since the Market says they're purchased and the transactions show up on the Google Wallet website. But still, it doesn't feel right without the "Order receipt from [developer]" emails reassuringly flooding my Inbox.

Maybe it's related to the credit card provider. I'm using a VISA-branded debit card issued by my bank (which as far as I know works like any other VISA card) and I haven't had any problems at all, buying or getting the emails.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Really liking these 10 cent days, there's just a couple more I need to cover the ones I actually use from Amazon. I want to drop the Amazon market because it's a piece of poo poo, but I would miss my daily entertainment from the reviews.

superman75 posted:

1.0 out of 5 stars Am Jewish ..., December 9, 2011
This review is from: Snow Go Kiddo (App)
Christmas is a Christian holiday. My family is Jewish. This app is designed for Christian families with no regard to people of other faiths. Not very considerate.
which causes this:

R. Wilson posted:

1.0 out of 5 stars stop deleting my review Amazon, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Snow Go Kiddo (App)
i have kids they love this app but Amazo keeps deleting my review. why? Because I don't make up stuff like Superman75? I know he works for Amazon or something because everyday he writes a stupid review and everyday it stays up while all the legitimate reviews are deleted by Amazon. I address him specifically as he has trolled the crap out of me since the beginning and has gotten my reviews deleted everyday and had me banned from commenting yet Amazon keeps his review and deletes everyone who dares question him (look at the comments under his "review"). Why Amazon props this guy up is anyones guess.

I gave this app 5 stars but now 1 because I'm sick of it and Amazon deletes all my five star reviews but will allow one star. Sorry dev welcome to the free app of the day review system you just screwed your app because this is the Superman75 AppStore not Amazon.

This app is great for kids and is a 5 star app I wish I could rate it 5 stars without Amazon accusing me of being the developer and deleting it. There wer 27 5 star reviews for this app, why did Amazon delete 17 of them?

Screw it this will be deleted too, congrats Superman, you own Amazons review system, the most effective troll ever.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Just got an email from Google about the market problems:

quote:

Hello,

We're writing to apologize for any accidental cancellation of your Android Market orders during our 10 Billion Downloads promotion. We'd like to inform you that as a one-time courtesy, we're giving you free access to all the apps you attempted to purchase. To download these apps, please follow these steps:

1) Open Android Market on your device
2) Press "Menu," and then touch "My Apps"
3) Scroll down and select the apps in question. They should be labeled as "Purchased" or "Not installed."
4) Touch "Install" to download and install the app

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Came to check the thread to find out if the promotion had ended early. Why is the banner gone (on the phone Market)? Now I don't have a convenient place to buy each one. :ohdear:

Three posts up from yours.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Is anyone else having trouble buying Doodle Jump? I was able to purchase all the other apps today with no problem but that one gives me the error below after trying to accept the $.10 charge.

quote:

We are unable to process your payment and complete this purchase. Please contact Google Checkout support here.
I got this with one of them. Just wait a few minutes and try again.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

IRQ posted:

I would kill for Tasker and Widgetlocker to show up.

You would kill to save :10bux:? I would have gotten Widgetlocker by now but not sure if I want it since it's kind of a hack job and apparently pretty buggy. I'm sure it will work fine until I want to show someone how cool my phone is and then it will blow the gently caress up.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MrHyde posted:

The MyVerizon app is a broken POS.

What how? You start it up and it shows you the end of your billing cycle, how many minutes/megabytes/texts you've used and how many you have total. There's even a widget.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Hey, Goons, I'm looking for something I'm having a hard time Googling.

Anybody know a map that can use the accelerometer/level in a phone to create a vector map of the rise/fall of a surface?

I'm trying to document just how much my Goddamn floor is sinking and wondering if there's a better way than a measuring tape, a level, and trigonometry.

This seems like a pretty specialized case. Are you going to tie something to your phone and drag it across the floor? Just searching for "accelerometer" in the market brings up a lot of things that will record the data. Some look like they will extrapolate distance, and some say they give you data from the other sensors as well. I haven't tested any of them, but I'd figure at least one of them will do both. If you had a motor that could pull the phone at a constant rate you could just get something that records orientation data and not worry about the accelerometer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

az jan jananam posted:

Is there an app that functions like a hard disk space analyzer? IE something that could analyze which folders/files are taking up the most space on your SD card.

Try DiskUsage. It gives you a graphical representation.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have no problem with it. She wants one where she can easily sort into categories and look at those categories when looking for a contact. She has hundreds of contacts and wants to keep the "work" ones away from the "play" ones. I can see where editing online will help, but when she's on the phone, she'd rather click "work" and find something there or click "friends" and find someone in there, than scroll through hundreds of contacts.

Isn't this what Google+ circles are supposed to be for?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It can be. Google contacts supports G+ circles and other custom made groups. Later, one can go into the contacts/people app and display whichever circle/group.

Also why the hell is there Google Talk and +Messenger and huddles or whatever? Why aren't these the same thing?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jesus Christ
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/10/google_wallet_again/

You can just clear the data for the Google Wallet application and the next time you start it up, you get asked for a PIN. The card details stay in the secure element, so they're still there after you clear the data.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Manky posted:

No, contacts aren't matched - which is stupid, since the whole thing is managed by Google and it should know better.

Isn't this what the unified privacy policy is supposed to accomplish?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Widgetsoid can live up there and toggle poo poo. Beyond that you have to use a custom ROM.

It can live up there but if you tell it to stay on top your notifications will dance around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots every time you download something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The latest version of Widgetsoid will stay at the top on my GN. I have not seen it in any other position since the update.

Do you have the "stay on top" option set? If I don't, then it will fall below the others when I get a new notification. If I turn it on and there's a notification that updates regularly (like a download), then they'll fight for the top position. Try downloading a large file and watch your notifications.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I guess I haven't seen Blazing Saddles in a very long time.
Thanks for uh...de-probating me!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

To add to this, they'll also be pushing out an update to the Market app renaming it to "Play Store". It'll also rename Music, Books, and Movies to Play Music, Play Books, and Play Movies.

But why "Google Play" and not "Google Market"? Play makes no sense at all, and makes it seem like it's made for games, especially because of the the game-centric Xperia Play.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Here's the sale.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_2012_03_06_AppsFavorites

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I stopped using Amazon after the 10 cent sale. There was a huge overlap between what had been free and everything in the sale. It's not worth dealing with Amazon to save a few bucks here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why is the Amazon Appstore still sending me notifications even after I have turned them off?

Because it wants you to stop using it. The Amazon store is terrible and shouldn't be used by anyone. I think most people here (myself included) have ditched it and just bought whatever they liked from Amazon on the market Play Store.

• Locked thread