Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the posted:

I don't have enough widgets on my tablet. What are some good and useful ones?

How many clocks do you have? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

What's the best "shopping list" and/or "note taking" app for Android?

I was using Upvise, but it's done nothing but crash on me since I switched to a Nexus S...so I'm looking for something else.

The only two Apps I can think of are Remember the Milk and Evernote...but I've never tried either. And I'd prefer one app that can do both...so I think only Evernote would fit that mold.

Suggestions?

My wife & I share "our groceries" Its free, you can share multiple lists in real time, the only downsides are if you share lists, all lists are shared, also, everything you add to any list joins the suggestion list.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Processor & sensors & charge circuit running all night in an insulated setting? Yeah if it was that effective I'd invest in a dedicated device designed to run in those conditions. You're asking for trouble there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not sure about dedicated alarm clocks, I think these things work better when they can detect your movements. There are a bunch of sleep monitor watches on amazon, all around a hundred to a hundred fifty bucks, that do the same thing.

Also, if your phone got that hot it would take measures to reduce heat by itself, I.e. shutdown before the sensors got cooked. I'd be more worried about damage to the screen from excessive heat.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Widget locker question - I changed to an ics lock with the update, but the drat thing keeps moving around. Sometimes when I go to unlock it will have moved off centre. I tried making it resize small, it goes off centre even more. I resized it to the while lock area, it still goes off-centre. When I go to resize its much smaller than I set it & off centre. Anyone else have this issue?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the ICS widgetlocker but the random wandering around the screen was too much to take so I'm back to 3 Froyo sliders. That said being able to switch which side of the screen unlock goes to has completely solved my 'can't grab the slider' issue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't care about getting notified about facebook stuff, I'll happily manually check it a couple times a day at most, would friendcaster be a worthwhile download for me?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Couldn't you just add another homescreen with the shortcuts you mentioned?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can anyone who uses extensive notes pro point me to a user guide or something? I bought the full version but I can't seem to get into it, I'm still working with astrid & it doesn't sync with gnotes quite well enough...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Congratulations on destroying a working phone, also, clean your microwave & if you breathed that smoke in you've now got cancer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A while back someone posted an app that locks out your text messaging for a certain period, meant to be used when you know you're going to get drunk. I think you guys could benefit from that more than a better keyboard.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you intend retailers or customers to update this?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

falz posted:

This certainly sounds like it would need some sort of additional device integrated in to your car to make this work. I would think that the best chance of having an app to control such a device would be to look at manufacturers of whoever make these types of things. Or just buy a crappy GM with OnStar or something.

If doesn't need an additional device, just an external power supply. You'll be polling sensors nearly constantly with a wake lock & the screen off, churning through a normal battery in a couple of hours.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No need to interface with the car electronics, just keep checking position via gps or accelerometer. This doesn't need an expensive usb adapter, just a hidden power supply.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think your app would be awesome & I'd want it to notify me of keywords within a set distance, but yes getting someone to input the data to begin with will be the sticking point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Widgetlocker: the home key always bypasses the lockscreen, even though that option is unchecked, anyone else get that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Makers of the blustacks app player just announced it works on xp now, woo.

They included the emails of everyone who registered for that notification in the to: field, meaning they shared a couple hundred peoples email addresses without permission.

Sometimes I suspect android is the moron-version of the midas touch...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Legal version: press record, it plays a message to both sides "this call is being recorded by the whadayasayjusnow android app"

Who cares version: state on the app download page that you have to tell the other person when you record a call.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

grumperfish posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the thread, but Juicedefender ultimate kinda rocks. I've been playing with an HTC Incredible running CM7.1 and just got a ridiculous 3500mah (actually 4000mah) battery for it. After wiping battery stats and setting up a moderate profile in juicedefender (turns off GPS/BT when they're not being used, and only enables wifi when the screen's turned on and I'm within range of a configured AP), I'm getting absolutely fantastic battery life. I last charged this thing 3 days and 23 hours ago and it's sitting at 74% with moderate usage during that time. Before I got the new battery and setup Juicedefender I was getting ~1-1.5 days with moderate to heavy usage, so I cannot complain one bit.

I don't like to shitpost but you more than doubled (nearly tripled?) Your battery capacity and are getting approximately 3-3.5 times your previous uptime? Good but not mindblowing really, I like juice defender, the free version + data scheduling + woofi gets me over 24 hours medium - heavy use on the standard 1500mah battery (actually down to about 980mah after a year of rape)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ah my apologies, I misread that you'd used 74%. That is pretty good.

On that topic, anyone with a 12 month old phone who plans on keeping it, consider investing in a new battery - my battery has lost 1/3 if it's total capacity in 12 months so I should go up to a day and a half with a new battery which is pretty drat good for powering a 5" screen.

Edit: 2 of those days look to be pretty drat light usage :v:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I liked it because it makes the application icons appear right around your fingertip, instead of at the top of the screen. It's ever so slightly quicker than using a folder. It also looks fairly nice.

Is circlelauncher a complete replacement launcher? I liked the sound of it & if I can replace folders with circular launcher icons that's be great but if not I'm happy with LPP for now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

hooah posted:

I've had the same complaint, and I get the feeling it's one of the major quirks about Amazon's App Store.

Change logs on android market are no better, kairosoft are some of the worst.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone else using 'make your clock widget?' Its beta, the free version is clock only but the full version has battery, calendar, memory etc. For the discerning android power user who needs 8 clocks on each homescreen its quite a boon. Theres a way to go before it should be out of beta & the terrible user submitted widgets are a good source of entertainment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My wifes wildfire s is still on the janky green market. As she's the one in the house that bothers with ebooks it'd be nice if she could use the new market. Is there a way to force it to update?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What version of android is it on? If its on 2.2 or higher I think you can just download an ASK of the new market and install it manually.

Its on stock gb so I'll try that. Cheers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Live wallpapers shouldn't be using any resources if you can't see them. If they are, they're probably terrible lovely things you should delete anyway.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basically if you see yourself ever using these buy them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If only someone developed some kind of engine with which to search these things... (seriously google why does market search suck so much? I want more control & criteria when I look for something)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Reckless getaway is good, I recommend it.

Wtfedit: tetris is not compatible with my device - I demand to know why?!

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 8, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

hooah posted:

Same here. I've got an Evo 3D. I checked out the comments, and someone suggested turning off 4G because the app can't phone home on 4G. I was connected to WiFi, and apparently that's not a good enough connection either, because when I disabled it, the app ran fine. Still a retarded thing for EA to do.

I'm confused. Not compatible as in I can't buy the app.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have it & lpp, no noticeable battery drain, plays nice with lpp. I have a couple tiny issues I've been meaning to email the dev about, but nothing serious.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wtf phone

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

One of the 10c apps is pano, a pretty good panoramic camera app. If your stock camera doesn't do panoramic, it's worth picking up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The ics locker on widget locker started to wander over the scream for me. Quite annoying so I switched to 4 sliders instead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

AlexMoron posted:

[*]Instant Heart Rate - Pro

This really works & is awesome, I've been looking to upgrade from the free version.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

I'm still not buying that this works. How can my lovely pinhole camera, when completely covered, track subtle changes in skin color? Not to mention it has to work across different brands of cameras with different color profiles.

Try the free version? Do you have a flash on your camera? I rest the phone on my finger as top much pressure interferes with the result. Also, last medical I had at work I whipped it out (hurr hurr) & compared the result to the megabucks blood pressure/pulse machine, within a beat or two definitely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Browsing on the laptop through my wifi hotspot has occasionally flagged as tethering, but only rarely (firefox). Different browsers on my phone have never flagged, interesting to know about the different layers/protocols.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

foodfight posted:

This is kinda clunky right now but I just found an awesome lockscreen that lets me unlock directly to phone, text, gmail or camera. Been wanting that for awhile.

Too late now but widget locker lets you add a slider that unlocks to an app of your choosing. I have 4 sliders, unlock/volume, camera/flashlight, screenfilter/astrid, phone/sms

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone tried the star chart 10c app yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm hoping they'll bring it back in some form full time because of what a huge success it was.

Terrible idea for developers: everyone would wait for their favourite app to become 10c

• Locked thread