Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think GoSMS has the option of displaying folders like that.

I don't know why you'd want to give up threaded messaging though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Holy gently caress widget locker just got way more awesome. Go upgrade that poo poo cause I know you already have it.

Between this and Go Launcher you can do a fairly convincing Ice Cream Sandwich look

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

NavalCasity posted:

I'm pretty sure they even mention it on the android market page for Iris, but Vlingo is a much more robust "personal assistant" app. It works gang-busters right out of the gate and once you get used to the commands it can access almost every part of your phone through voice prompts. Plus if you want to be a dick about it to your iOS friends, you can constantly bring up how Vlingo has existed on Android a while before Siri was even announced.

Is it possible to create an appointment in Vlingo (or an alternative voice search app)

The "Remind me at 11am I have a haircut at 4pm" thing Siri can do sounds really useful.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The Apple patent specified the lock icon travels down a defined path as you slide it, while the Android versin can be dragged any which way.

Widget Locker has an iPhone copy slider though. Guess its easier to get away with if its an app rather than the default behaviour though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I Dont Like You posted:

I love the new WidgetLocker update (used it in the past, didn't really care for it, never bothered again until now), but I have to ask a very basic, stupid question: How do you get rid of the brightness and volume sliders? I cannot seem to figure out how to just have the ICS one. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, and boy do I feel dumb... :downs:

Open Widget Locker (from the App drawer, don't lock the phone) then long press on the slider you want to change. It'll pop up a menu with Edit, Remove, Resize

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

So the default messaging app on my friends Droid 2 has been freezing, so I told him to try Handcent. But Handcent is no long on the market for some reason. Anyone know why?

It's still there but now appears as incompatible with all my devices (even though its installed)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dynodash posted:

Is there a good app for digging into battery life with Gingerbread? The default graph thing that comes with it is very good, but it doesn't tell you anything about individual apps. I'm thinking of what Spare Parts used to do on Froyo and older. Is there a Gingerbread equivalent?

Bettery Battery Stats does that.

You can get if from XDA, just Google the name and the thread should be the first result.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just use Windows directory security - no need for a separate app

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Better Battery Stats is what you want (have a search on XDA for a free version)

I get a tonne of awake time listed under wifi which isn't very helpful, it only started when a couple of neighbours got new access ponits so I guess its just wifi trying to pick my signal out from the mess of networks in the building.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Try different channels on your router or turn off auto and shove your channel way off to one of the extremes.

Tried that and it broke connectivity with an older laptop that needs to stay on the network at one end, and caused issues with a Mac at the other. I think I just need a newer more powerful router.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It was doing this because you installed it to the SD card.

It was doing the same for me and I definitely hadn't put it on the SD card (it doesn't even show as being able to be moved to SD)

It sorted itself out now though so who knows what was going on with it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, but they still show up in Library, it only works for Folders.

No they don't show in the library either, Poweramp doesn't use the system media scanner at all

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

I want a photo-editing app so I can take a picture, crop it to web-friendly size, and upload to tumblr or facebook or whatever right from my phone.

I need that app to have a user-selectable crop size -- Photoshop Express seems to have the smaller dimension hard-coded to be 562px when it crops, and that just won't do (I've got an idea to treat my Evo3D as a TLR and make square pictures, and I want them to be at least 800px wide because anything less is just silly these days). Ability to add borders is a plus. And of course I don't want to pay for it.

Does such a thing exist?

QuickPic will do it and also makes a pretty nice gallery replacement - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe it depends on your phone?

On my Nexus S
- Stock Launcher is perfectly smooth but having only phone and browser on the bottom bar annoys me
- Go Launcher is perfectly smooth but seems overly complex and not very Android-y (skins the menu for instance). I do like the horizontal app drawer though
- Launcher Pro is really smooth except for scrolling in the app drawer which is always janky enough to annoy me (3d on or off)
- ADW (free) is just all around slow which makes me not want to fork out for the paid version

I'm on Go for now with an Ice Cream Sandwich theme but it looks like I'll be rocking the stock launcher once the update arrives.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Cheers, I vaguely knew there was a fifth option but not what it was.

Even has a paged horizontal app drawer :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The full version of BeyondPod is on sale for $1.99 at the moment - well worth picking up

http://beyondpod.com/blog/beyondpod-black-friday-sale-save-over-70/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AlexMoron posted:

Other than a range extender or a USB AP, not sure what else I can try.

Just buy another router and set it up as a bridge?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

StickFigs posted:

Guess Watchdog just sucks.

You don't need a Task Manager - just forget they exist and you'll have a much better experience

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pity all the themes are so ugly.

If I give it my Gmail or Facebook login what will it actually learn off? I'd imagine it could make prediction worse if it went back too far into either of those accounts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The question is would we have got the 10c deals if Amazon had never started their own market?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wow Game Devon Story is incredibly addictive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm using a pretend ICS theme for Go Launcher https://market.android.com/details?id=kov.theme.ics . Looks nice and clean and functions well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

atastypie posted:

I'm running an old HTC Magic, which is stuck on Android 2.1. The default keyboard and SMS apps feel super laggy, and it is driving me nuts. Can anyone recommend steps I can take to speed things up, including replacing some of the apps? I don't want anything fancy, I just want to be able to open a text message and reply without 5 seconds worth of loading time :S

The best results I have had on my Magic was with a version of the 2.2 OTA I found on XDA ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=947852 ) and the new radio (which frees up a bit of RAM for the OS)

There are plenty of traps though as there are quite a few different and incompatible hardware revisions so watch out if you do decide to go ahead and change the ROM.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I love how the two of the three reviews showing for Prey complain it can't be uninstalled.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SB35 posted:

Skins with the slide to unlock have been available all over the internet for a few years now, going back as far as WinMo 6.0, I don't think anything is really gonna happen.

Especially seeing as the 2.2/2.3 AOSP lockscreen works in the same way.

Besides Widgetlocker is still around and it includes an iPhone skin

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

soru posted:

Are you Galaxy Nexus people using the ICS launcher or back to LPP/ADW/etc? I'm not loving the stock one very much.

I haven't found any reason to switch away from stock yet

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

soru posted:

The search thing taking up space on every page is the biggest offender, but there are a lot of other little tweaks you get used to from other launchers that seem conspicuously absent. Like number of pages, number of rows, etc.

Maybe that stuff's in there and I'm just missing it?

It doesn't really take up a row, you still get the same 4x4 area you had available before the bar was introduced.

Valid point about lack of customisation available though - especially not being able to change the grid size up to 5x5 or higher (which I'd imagine would be great on the big screen of teh Galaxy Nexus)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sereri posted:

Thanks for the tip, with all the styling options I think it turn out decent

Holy poo poo you can now interact with that directly on stock non-rooted ICS (on GB it showed the toggles but just launched a windows where you could change the settings)

Awesome stuff

Edit: Any idea if you can change the background colour of the notification? On my Nexus S its grey and doesn't look as nice as the screenshot and changing the actual widget to have a black background doesn't seem to affect it

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 20, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sir Bruce posted:

It asks if I want to load information from my Google account, which evidently includes both my Apps and my contacts. I just want the contacts.

I think turning off 'Back up my data' under Privacy Settings will stop apps re-installing after a reset.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Nexus S i9023, GB 2.3.4, Lucid 2.6.35.7 kernel.

At least try stock ICS on it.

Its incredibly slick compared to 2.x and you won't have Market issues.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

az jan jananam posted:

How did you get the notification background to be anything but gray? My background never changes.

Its kind of sticky for me - try toggling between white, custom, and none a few times. Mine will actually no longer go grey (setting it to grey makes the background black) but custom works fine.

Pity there needs to be an icon there (whether its visible or not)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

There is no fix for the Galaxy S GPS.

The original (international) version isn't too bad.

Download this and see what it says: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is there a good alternative to the default messenger that comes with Ice Cream Sandwich? Something really basic preferably.

What additional features do you want?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is it even compatible with ICS? I love SMS popup but the developer has a hard time providing updates in a timely manner...

Yeah it works fine - don't see why it needed an update.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

About the only things the Ice Cream Sandwich launcher really brought to the table was native scrolling and resizing.

Also the four customisable dock icons and horizontal paged app drawer (which most alternate launchers already had)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Thoom posted:

If nothing else, it does tap zooming in the Firefox/Safari style rather than the horrible broken way the stock browser does it.

I actually much prefer the way the stock browser handles zooming - maybe just because I'm used to it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Try Gentle Alarm - it has all sorts of options (and a terrible UI). There is a trial version available in the market.

It does seem to play the same song over and over for me though so I'm not sure how good at shuffling it actually is.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm happy with BeyondPod - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.beyondpod

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

i like tacos posted:

Can we share accounts? If so how does that work? or can we do what mediaphage said?

You can add your account to market on her phone and download any of the apps you've paid for from there.

Might not work from a privacy standpoint though as it seems the second device will have access to your other account stuff like mail too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What is the best way to set up something equivalent to Airplay on iOS devices? E. I mean the mirroring aspect of it.

I see there are various options like on both the tablet (DoubleTwist, Twonky) and on the TV end (Apple TV, DNLA, uPNP) but I'm not sure which if any combination will give the best results.

My current setup is a Nexus S phone, Acer A500 tablet and an aging plasma TV and a cheap Bluray player (neither of which have any type of DNLA capability) so I don't mind buying an Apple TV or Xbox or whatever is going to work best.

dissss fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 12, 2012

• Locked thread