Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got a new phone so I'm trying to figure out this ecosystem.

Apparently, google play music won't read files from google drive? I'm running 5.1 and the only default music player appears to be play music. I have my own sorting system and directory structure, so I don't really want to have to upload/import my music to another third party.

It would be nice to be able to sync files/music/movies to my phone without the USB cable though, since i'm going to be using qi charging.

I definitely need a music player with a widget. Gapless and a 1.5x speed playback would be a bonus, since I listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts.

Ideas? What are people doing these days? I'm super behind the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The search continues.

Google drive allows "Pinning" which keeps a local copy on the phone, but it stores it in a drive-specific data directory, renames the filename, and also buries it in a md5hash directory. WTF, google? Music/movie players that can scan and read metadata may still pick files up. Unfortunately, this trashes directory organization.

Google music only reads files that are in /Music, so there's no way to play pinned (or otherwise) music from google drive. You could also do a second upload from google drive into google music. Not optimal; I don't want to go through a double upload process every time I add new books/music.

Cloudplayer links and plays music through google drive, however it's the most battery-hog program I have ever seen and requires a 100% constant connection at all times. If you put your phone into airplane mode, the app itself hangs unless it's in 'offline mode'. It does not honor google drive pinning. You can set specific songs in the app itself to "cache offline" but there's no way to do it in bulk. Does not appear to be able to see pinned files in the google drive app sandbox even while in offline mode. Boo.

I'm actually really surprised at the poor interaction between google drive and google music. Especially how drive works great and expected on the desktop and yet has this wonky-rear end phone implementation. I was really hoping for a transparent music interface which lets google drive either read local if the file's been cached or go out to the cloud and get it if not, but it seems like that's not the way it was designed.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I have a specific directory organization that works for me and half my stuff doesn't have correct id3 tags. It's also half audiobooks which are organized differently than music and I don't want them lumped together.

I don't care about space used, I'm happy to pay google a few bucks a month to store my poo poo just in case my hard drive dies. But I'm storing all my media and pictures, I don't want to separate them out and curate an entire separate list through google music.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I... I still use winamp.

Everyone's a sperg about their phone, that's why we're here in the SA ghetto.

I mean I've been copying poo poo to my phone for years, I was just hoping there was a cloud solution that worked better than what I've been doing in the past.

I'll try out BT Sync et al tonight to just mirror drive directories from my PC I guess. What are favorite standalone music players that scan directories other than a hardcoded /Music?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Even Google Music will pickup files that aren't in /Music.

Uthor posted:

I don't think that's true. It reads mp3s I put in the "Download" folder and it reads the files Amazon Music saves when I save a local copy through that app.

Maybe it has to do with sandboxing? It definitely does not read the google drive mp3s that are in com.google.android.apps.docs/files/fileinternal/md5hash/filename

I just tried creating a custom/local feed for BeyondPod and pointed it to that directory and it hung so there's got to be some sort of limitation there. Dammit.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What did you do it before with? Did you have an Android phone?

USB copy to a sdcard, samsung's music player 'folder' tab kept the directory structure and played, had gapless and up to 2.x speed. worked for my needs.

Another reason I'm trying to stick with google drive is that I have friends who share their files (and collection) , and I can do the same for them. AFIAK you can't do this with google music.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 8, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think the point is, that why would most users ever care what the directory structure looks like in the background with stuff like Google Music? You see your music in the app, you click button to hear music, and that's it.
Glancing at one of the directories and sorting by genre gives me:

Ambient
Ambient Electronica
Chill
Club
Dance
Techno
Electronic
Electronica
Drum & Bass
Freestyle
House
Progressive
Progressive House
New Age
Trance

I wanted those lumped together so I can just shuffle them all. Yes, I could meticulously create playlists of all the types of stuff I want, and then when I add something new I could update all the relevant playlists, but it's just easier to stick all of them in a generic directory than having to gently caress with it. If I want some unst unst I know exactly where to go.

RE: the google drive thing, apparently encryption is on by default, so I turned it off. Other programs still aren't indexing that directory, however. I may be able to go in and manually create a symlink into the sdcard directory. Stay tuned.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was giving an example of why I organize by directory and why someone would; I'm saying the files are already id3 tagged as those genres, I could add some generic 'house' tag in google music (separate from id3 tags I assume?) but it's an extra step and I don't own a lot of these files, they're just shared amongst a friends group. Using google music would cut me off from all that

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Mods, change the thread name to
It's seriously the weirdest thing. Pinning downloads the file but none of your other apps can easily get at it.

you also can't pin directories, only files

it's kind of absurd I have to download a third party tool to get the functionality of drive that you'd get with a desktop

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seriously though this is excellent for taking the info in your music folder structure and applying it to your files as tags: http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

You don't need to stop using a directory structure, but you can use this to make it so things that only deal with tags can get you most of that functionality.

I got fishmech'd in a good way!

Final update:

I've abandoned the idea of pinning. I was able to use a program called "Drive Autosync" to copy specific folders. Works great and does what you'd expect.

I'm going through my library and tagging all files with the program above, which is by far the best tagging program I have ever seen. Once I get all my stuff tagged, I'll upload the max for the free google play and try it out and see how nice it is.

For local stuff I'm bouncing between play music, vlc, shuttle, beats, cloudplayer to see which one I like best; they're all pretty similar.

:toot:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just checking in to say poweramp is by far the best music player I've tried.

The auto play on wired / Bluetooth connect feature is unique as far as I've seen and fits my use case perfectly. A little thing that is just so good.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Whoever recommended Fenix as a twitter replacement, thanks a bunch. $5 for no ads, more compact layout, AND a dark theme!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I regret not taking more photospheres on vacation after I saw how cool they are in google cardboard. But they are really a pita to make!

Is there a better app that functions more similarly to apple's panorama? I'm looking for something similar where you wave your phone around and eventually it just says 'Done!' and spits out the pic.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All those reasons are why I hate google now. I'd use it if it would let me select specific "things" like "I want to see traffic from this place to this place, but only on thursdays around 4pm" but no, google wants it to be smart enough to know without you telling it, well guess what, computers just aren't there yet.

I almost missed a flight because when google added stuff to my calendar from a confirmation e-mail it didn't do the timezones right on the return journey. Good thing I double-checked.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Karthe posted:

As someone who did just this I have to admit that it's pretty underwhelming once you get past the built-in Cardboard demos. It was about 60/40 whether an app would be playable, and even the ones that were were limited to tech demos. Hell, I couldn't even play a couple of well-reviewed games because the two images wouldn't line up and the games provided no way to adjust their spacing.

I guess watching a YouTube video as a low-res floating screen was kinda neat...

I'm tempted to return the viewer because I'm pretty sure it'll be forgotten once the Vive/Oculus/etc... drop in six months.
FTR, I've got a N6 which has a larger screen, and a lot of unity apps built on the older api has a fixed IPD which is significantly smaller than my phone and none of them work.

That said, the things that most impressed my friends and myself were photospheres. By far #1, they are amazing even if they aren't in 3d, if you take the pictures it really does look good. A lot of stuff comes through. Proton Pulse was my go-to as well when it was being passed around - it's quickly and easily grasped concept, shows off the actual 3d ability of cardboard, you can just take it off and hand it over and give people a try.

The most disappointing was youtube; you can't force the quality to be high def and everything is in grainy lower resolution. This may be due to the early technology of the capture cameras themselves coupled with heavy compression on google's end. I suspect this is due to having to transmit the entire video including things you aren't watching, and having to squeeze that into 1080p worth of bits means everything only has a half or quarter of the resolution it should.

In the "okay" camp were the cardboard movie and the youtube 'look at a video like you were in a theater' stuff, cosmic rollercoaster, and Vanguard V.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 9, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
whips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, just use Fenix. If you don't want to pay, sign up for google opinions for a few weeks until you get enough credit to buy it.

• Locked thread