Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to set up Tasker so that an alarm goes off when the phone is fully charged?

I'd like to use it on my Nexus S 4G but the battery only charges to 94% and I'm not sure if that make a difference or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

What's the best "shopping list" and/or "note taking" app for Android?

I was using Upvise, but it's done nothing but crash on me since I switched to a Nexus S...so I'm looking for something else.

The only two Apps I can think of are Remember the Milk and Evernote...but I've never tried either. And I'd prefer one app that can do both...so I think only Evernote would fit that mold.

Suggestions?

I really like Out of Milk. I use it for task managing and shopping. It's goon-made too and works perfectly on my Nexus S.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Someone started back porting the ICS keyboard for use with 2.2/2.3

https://market.android.com/details?id=inputmethod.latin.ported&hl=en

You can modify how strong you want the vibrations, I love this keyboard for this feature alone.

However, the sound is pretty low for me when hitting a key and I can't find the developer's e-mail anywhere to let them know that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Try his thread on XDA.

Awesome. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

landis posted:

It's worth mentioning that I wish I could get rid of the Google search widget at the top of every single screen, I've never understood that because the search button has exactly the same functionality but at least in ICS it's much less of an eyesore (you can remove it in Nova Launcher).

If you disable Google Search in ICS, it will remove the search widget from all screens. However, I think it'll stop the Search button from working too and you'll just have to use Google.com when you want to search for something rather than the widget.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

So apparently HTC killed the ability to disable the shutter sound on the stock, non rooted HTC evo 3D. This also is already driving my fiance crazy. Any thoughts on fixing it?

I'm not sure if this is the same on Sense, but on stock Gingerbread (2.3.7) on my Nexus S 4G, you can turn off the camera sounds by going into Silent Mode.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying out the ICS Messaging app as I wait for the Nexus S 4G to get an official OTA (or buy a Sprint GNex) and it's pretty awesome.

Is this seriously how the ICS Messaging app is? I mean it's simplistic, but it's still really good for what I use it for. Also, Roboto looks amazing on the NS4G screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have Estrong's File Explorer on my NS4G and I only really use it to access my phone's files. I'd really like to use it at it's full (non-rooted) potential.

I have a website and I think it'd be cool to upload to that site, connect directly to my desktop and laptop, and whatever else is possible with it.

Is there like a guide for this somewhere?

Also, I'm new to using Woofi and is there some settings I should change somehow because I tried it today and I'm not exactly sure how to make it stop checking every 10 minutes or so. Is there an optimal setting for good battery life that I should be using?

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Is there a decent Text Message replacement app that emulates the ICS app on Gingerbread?

There is! It's called ICS Messaging. It has adds on the main screen but the upcoming pro-version shouldn't have them.

I like it a lot vs the native GB app on my NS4G.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

If the ads are targetted I could see AT&T and their marketing dept getting behind this. I've even got an idea for a commercial. It involves hot bitchy wife txting to retarded chubby husband not to forget something for tonight's themed yuppy dinner party like he did last time (italics work in tv-texting). RCH sees a targetted ad for the item in question, mashes butan and orders 10x the amount needed, to be delivered 10 days later. The per-unit cost and ability to not have to leave his applebees barstool where he fills himself with wings and brews makes him give a "not so retarded anymore" smirk at the camera.

PS. They also have crushing debt and she'll be long gone when it's short-sale & apartment-hunting time.

This is a fascinating scenario and I could see it happening. Has anyone actually clicked on an ad from an app before intentionally?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 23, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got access to the Steam app. It's pretty interesting. I think Valve actually used an ICS Nexus S to develop this because it follows some of Google's ICS rules and even has a sort of ICS blue theme going on with taps and whatnot. It's really nice.

The app is very smooth on my NS4G and it seems that you can buy games from the app itself and it'll show up in your game library on your PC. However, I don't have the funds to test this currently.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So I finally gave Google Music a try and I feel so guilty about using the 3D effect. I know it ruins all the work the producers put into making their music sound good but on the other hand I AM HEARING IN THREE DEE

How do you get this? I have Google Music on my NS4G but I'm not sure how to turn it on. Is it ICS only?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hooah posted:

I managed to find it, at least on the ICS version of Google Music. While you're listening to a track, hit the menu button in the action bar, then choose "Sound effects." You'll be able to use a 5-band equalizer with presets, a separate bass boost, and this 3D effect thing. I think the latter is just panning stuff harder to either (or both) side(s), simulating a wider audio field.

I think this is ICS only. I've had to use Equalizer on my phone in the past to get this. Good to see it's native in the OS this time around.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

New Google Voice app with a new icon.

Android Market posted:

-Asynchronous SMS sending (offline queuing) - Note that it still works synchronously for multiple recipients
-New style UI in Honeycomb and ICS
-Official user feedback menu on each screen (previously dogfood menu)

It updated via the phone market, but it should be on the web market soon.

https://market.android.com/details?...2dsZXZvaWNlIl0.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Jesus Christ
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/10/google_wallet_again/

You can just clear the data for the Google Wallet application and the next time you start it up, you get asked for a PIN. The card details stay in the secure element, so they're still there after you clear the data.

I was wondering about this. I reset my Nexus S 4G back to factory and when I fired up Google Wallet, all it did was ask to make a new PIN and I was in without any problems.

I wonder how they can fix this, if they can. Then again, I don't think people will make too big of a deal since you have to actually have your phone taken first (though that does happen and could happen more if people realize which phones officially have Google Wallet).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How do you check the /system folder size using EStrong's File Manager? I know there's a way to do it on a non-rooted device as I've done it before but I forgot how.

Was this changed in more recent versions?

Glimm posted:

Yes it's only a problem if someone physically has control of your device and can bypass your lockscreen. The fix is to maintain the pin/password on a secure server remotely (with your bank). This fix will likely be a huge pain in the rear end to implement and to use once done. Personally I prefer to just have some security on my device and a number to call/way to wipe my device remotely if it goes missing.

edit: though I guess a better solution would be once Google Wallet data is cleared the SE should be cleared as well.

That does sound like a big hassle. I'm pretty sure my bank wouldn't even know how to do any of this as their idea of a smartphone app to access your bank account is to spam your phone with SMS every time you get at least $0.01 deposited or withdrawn...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good Twitter app? I think the official Twitter app is causing random wakelocks for no reason and when I reset my device, it all went away. I'm not sure if it's Google+, Facebook, or Twitter but it's really seeming that it's Twitter at the moment.

If there isn't a decent replacement for the offical Twitter app, is there a way I could set it up to lower the chance of wakelocks on my Nexus S 4G? If there's a way I should set up the Google+ and Facebook apps, that would help too.

I've tried Twicca so far and it feels too unfinished for me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll give Plume a shot. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying out Plume for the first time as my default Twitter app, but I'm not sure if I'm customizing it right.

I want to set it so that I get Mentions and Messages while still having a long sync interval for other Tweets. I had it set like this in the official Twitter app, with the interval at four hours but I got Messages and Mentions immediately. I tried to do the same in Plume but it didn't work. Is there another setting I need to change or is Plume not as sync-happy as the official Twitter so having a lower sync time okay?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The official Twitter client has push notifications for messages and mentions. My guess is an internal API.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense then. I'll give Plume a try still, thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Edit: While I'm at it, how about weather apps? Weather channel's is slow and bloated and only shows the radar for the last half hour; AccuWeather is a pile of poo poo covered in pretty chrome.

I really like the 1Weather app. It's simplistic but still informative enough to understand the basics of the next few days to me.

I also like that it has "1" in the title so it'll be the very first thing in your App Drawer. That really works for me because it makes it the first thing I check in the morning.

Also, it'll sync and let you know if there's a storm or whatnot coming your way a day or so in advance with a vibration/sound. I like it doesn't really use up battery to do that either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

There used to be a grocery list app that got mentioned in here every once in awhile that synced multiple devices and IIRC was goon made.

Anyone remember what that was? Actually any grocery list apps that will sync would be good to hear about.

I think you mean Out of Milk.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.capigami.outofmilk

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone had any issues with the new Google Voice app? Each time I get a text, it activates...but then sticks around using RAM even after answering and it doesn't close.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using the Nexus S 4G with GV integration but I'd really like for it just to close after texts are answered or just not open at all except for voicemail.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Two points:

1) This isn't Windows; the app isn't consuming any appreciable amount of resources when it "sticks around using RAM"
2) If you do manage to find a way to continually force it to close, you'll get delayed texts/voicemails as well as decreased battery life as the app keeps trying to restart after it's been killed.

I didn't think about it trying to restart all the time and I'm a bit too used to how Windows uses up RAM.

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Windows uses RAM the same exacty way Android does :ssh:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Windows hasnt used RAM like that since XP.

I think I need a refresher course on Window RAM usage. I haven't paid much attention since XP.

Still, thanks for clearing it up though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to make Google Calendar display tasks so that the Calendar app can pick it up or am I stuck using GTasks?

If anyone knows a better app than Gtasks, feel free to mention it. I'm not really a fan of this app and I'm wondering why Google doesn't have one (unless you can show the tasks on the calendar).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The tasks API is pretty hosed. Gtasks is the reluctant favorite.
Hopefully they fix it...one day.

Thanks though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Has anyone noticed Currents messing up lately? First the medium text size suddenly became the small size out of the blue and now some sources are unreadable - they just get stuck on loading forever. Uninstalling and reinstalling does nothing.

I've noticed this too. I've also noticed the app tends to constantly sync, even when I set it to manual sync and I back out of the app.

This is fine if I'm on wifi but on 3G it murders my battery.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I hope they don't get rid of the music locker section at the least.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good (preferably free) app that will allow you to use a webcam as a sort of security cam while on wifi or 3g?

I have a wired webcam and a laptop I'd like to set up.

Thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The removal of the 50MB barrier on the Market has finally arrived

quote:

The size of your APK file will still be limited to 50MB to ensure secure on-device storage, but you can now attach expansion files to your APK.

Each app can have two expansion files, each one up to 2GB, in whatever format you choose.

Android Market will host the files to save you the hassle and cost of file serving.

Users will see the total size of your app and all of the downloads before they install/purchase.

On most newer devices, when users download your app from Android Market, the expansion files will be downloaded automatically, and the refund period won’t start until the entire download completes. On older devices, your app will download the expansion files the first time it runs, via a downloader library which we’ve provided below.

What qualifies as a new device to Google though? Just the Galaxy Nexus and beyond?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So it looks like Google is basically renaming the Android market to "Google Play". I honestly think it's a good move since the Market now houses a bunch of non Android related things. Also, the ad they have for it is actually good. Google made a good ad. WTF?

https://play.google.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GdZxbmEHW7M

To add to this, they'll also be pushing out an update to the Market app renaming it to "Play Store". It'll also rename Music, Books, and Movies to Play Music, Play Books, and Play Movies.

They're also redoing the Android Market badges (the "Download on Android Market" icons and whatnot) to "Get it on Google Play"

http://www.android.com/developers/branding.html#google_play

The update to phones is 2.2+ only and it starts rolling out today. Hopefully the APK is put online today too as updates for Market (Play Store now, I guess) are incredibly slow.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/03/introducing-google-play.html

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I at least like that the Google Music site got a much needed color change because I wasn't really a fan of the orange everywhere (even though that's the color on the Market/Store).

The name is still weird especially considering the "Play Books" thing. I've never played a book in my life except for book on tape/CD.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pop-up books, son. :colbert:

I forgot about those...but I think I only had one of those. And a Teddy Ruxpin which was book on cassette.

They also seem to have updated the icon for the Play series of apps as well. Obviously the Market's icon is new but the other three seem shinier or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, they'll be having a $.25 sale every day with Google Play. I'm assuming it's for apps, music, books, and movies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

A quick question, is Contact Sync working for anyone with the official Twitter app on a Galaxy Nexus? Mine has had an error ever since I got it with "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly" at the bottom of the Accounts & Sync screen.

Is this just me or is it broken for everyone?

This only just recently broke for me on my NS4G. I ended up turning Twitter sync off anyway though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone have aa problem with the new Google Voice where it will suddenly have three to four extra widgets in the Widgets menu?

I've had this problem occur a lot and when it does, I can't use any GV widgets or load new ones.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

landis posted:

I didn't believe you until I googled for myself.

Weird. I noticed slightly shorter battery life but I always chalked it up to running my screen at max brightness or, you know, extended PvZ sessions. When it's in standby it lasts plenty long enough, otherwise I just plug in when I go to bed like I always have.

Glad I lucked out though.

You keep your NS at max brightness? On Gingerbread, how's that leave your battery life? How about on ICS?

I've been thinking about doing this to try it but I'm not sure...plus burn-in annoys me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know how to stop the kickback, talkback, and soundback services from complainimg about updates?

One of them installs a third party keyboard that I don't even want so I uninstalled the update but now they're all nagging me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

You could uninstall them or freeze them or even detach them from the Play Store although that might be broken with the current version according to the Titanium changelog.

Looks like I now have a use for the ICS freezing app thing then. Does that stop nagging about updates too?

• Locked thread