Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm coming from iOS to Android and I'm a bit confused on the options for playing and syncing music.

I know I can use "DoubleTwist" to sync my Android phone with iTunes, but what are my options if I want to leave iTunes completely?

Do I just copy my MP3s to the Android (using it as USB Mass Storage) and then pick any music application? If so, what is a good music management app to copy the music itself and keep it in-sync? (Maybe something that can also update wirelessly to my phone and copy any new music, etc?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the best video streaming app for Android?

I was using AirVideo on iOS and it was fantastic (i.e. it converted videos on-the-fly and streamed over 3G and Wifi practically any video format).

I've tried Emit (free) for Android and it's stuttering and laggy quite a bit (and looks worse than the AirVideo/iOS streamed videos; both are using the same WiFi network and encoding machine)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Well, I've tried Emit and it just isn't working that great for me. It takes a very long time to start any video (compared to Air Video and Plex) and skipping around in a video (i.e. position) causes it to just jump to the end, etc.

Plex seems to work pretty good though...

I'm going to try Mirage next since it sounds like it works with the Air Video server?

EDIT: I've tried Mirage and it crashes and reboots my phone... (HTC One) :(

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 23, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What are some of the best Android apps? I've just switched from iOS to Android (Galaxy S4)...

(I've taken a look at the OP, but it hasn't been updated since January, so hopefully some new stuff came out?)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to add a VPN toggle to the Android 4.2.2 quick settings? (or anywhere else)

Also, is it possible to have a VPN-on-demand when contacting to certain websites or opening certain applications?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is there any faster way to browse/stream files from an SMB/CIFS or NFS share? (I'm using ZFS on my NAS which shares using both protocols)

I'm using a Galaxy S4 connected using 802.11ac and when I use ES File Explorer to copy a file from my NAS to my phone, it only gets 3 - 4 MB/s.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the best app for streaming video on a local (802.11ac) network?

I'm using ES File Explorer to browse SMB shares and then MX Player to play the video, but almost every video takes quite a long time to start.

I'm guessing that a better solution must exist, because on iOS there was an application called Air Video that streamed (direct stream w/o transcoding) almost instantly after selecting videos, etc.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm new to Android and I have some questions about Google Now (i.e. Search).

When I activate Google Now, I see a search bar at the top and information displayed below such as weather, travel times, etc. I thought I could say "Google" and activate the search but it doesn't work. (hotword detection is turned on)

Also, how am I supposed to voice control Google Play Music? If I say "play Nine Inch Nails" it does correctly bring up the "Play Music" link showing Nine Inch Nails. However, if I say "play <random song name>" it often doesn't work and just does a google search for the word. What's the correct way to get this working?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to add shortcuts to the stock Android lockscreen?

I'm using a Galaxy S4 (with a 4.3 "Google Play Edition" ROM) and the lockscreen only allows me to unlock the phone. I know I can swipe right to access the camera, but I'd like to add some shortcuts too...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody know of a good application that lets you map onscreen buttons to physical buttons?

I could've sworn a really popular one was called "TinKeep Controls" or something but I can't find it so it must be called something else...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

How can I download a paid APK so I can side load onto another device?

The application is Splashtop THD Gamepad and I've purchased it but I want to load it onto my nvidia shield (I've been told it works)

I've tried all the google chrome apk downloaders but nothing works...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

lelandjs posted:

Erm, isn't the streaming function of the Shield just a reskinned version of THD? Also, is there a reason you're sideloading it? It should be in the Play Store for the Shield...
Yeah, but there are certain games that don't work with the SHIELD native streaming and I've heard that Splashtop Gamepad THD also works a bit better which is definitely suprising...

1st AD posted:

Can't you just download it again on the Play Store on your other device?
The app only shows up on Tegra 3 devices and doesn't even show in the app store for Tegra 4.

Can I change my build.prop or something to download it from Google Play and then change it back?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the help everybody.

I don't think APK Downloader works any longer, but I was able to install the app onto my Nook HD+ (which is odd, but I think the build.prop might be spoofed) and then using root I copied the apk from /mnt/asec and it works.

Thanks again!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Two quick questions...

1) Can I send a link (or text/whatever) to my Nexus 5 from my PC and have it appear as a notification? Preferrably I'd just like to use the PC and paste the URL in a form and have it sent to my phone.

2) What's the best navbar replacement for the Nexus 5? I hate the soft buttons taking up so much space...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any GOOD video streaming applications for Android?

iOS has Air Video which is fantastic and pretty much flawless.
iOS/Android have Plex but that's a little heavy-duty for my needs. (i.e. I just want to brose files and stream)

I'd love something that supported HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) or DASH (streaming) and had a lightweight server...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm coming back to Android after a while with iOS, and I'm wondering... are there any applications similar to Air Video (i.e. streaming video) on Android?

Air Video is very simple. It streams your videos from your home PC to your device but allows transcoding if needed. Unlike Plex, it doesn't require monitoring folders and it doesn't support metadata. It just shows your folders and files and works flawlessly. It's also incredibly fast, and if a file is directly supported (i.e. MP4 with H.264 and AAC), it supports direct playback and bypasses the transcode.

BubbleUPNP on Android seems to be very popular and I could use it with MiniDLNAd, but it doesn't support transcoding (for slow cellular networks), and I don't think it lets you seek/scrub during video playback.

Plex seems to be the closest to Air Video, but requires monitoring folders and importing data. I just want something to browse my files with any metadata attached or scraping required.

• Locked thread