Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
No joke, this WidgetLocker update is huge. Also love the fact that by default the notification icon is not turned on. Did they find a better way to manage it other than having to keep the icon there or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

I used to use this, yeah; it was nice but only monitors overall in/out, not per app. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you use MIUI it does that natively, per app even. Sorry that I can't be helpful other than that though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Regarding My Data Manager, is anybody else unable to download it? The market says that I can download it on my Transformer, but not my EVO running CM7.

Got it up and running on my MIUI droid x earlier today without issue.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Who's watching the watcher man... who's watching the watcher

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Speaking of the amazon store. I'm really tired of getting notifications that I have new things to install. Anyone know of a way to disable that?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Is it still impossible to rent movies through the android market with a rooted phone? I remember when they first introduced the movies, rooted phones would get an error. But I've seen a few posts where people have said that even while rooted, they were able to rent a movie.

Anyone able to validate that at all?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't believe this is true, during a recent multi-day power outage I had, I had disabled data use (and of course had no wifi) in order to save battery for calls - so the Amazon app store had no way to phone home to Amazon for 2 days. My Amazon paid apps still worked if I loaded them up for a quick game though.

I know if i don't have it installed and attempt to run alarm clock xtreme, it will error and tell me to install the amazon app

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

LCDs don't burn in. They just don't. AMOLEDs do, but it's simply not possible for LCDs to burn in as there's nothing to burn (no phosphors).

Maybe this is what he's referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

How is it as a wallpaper? I really like the image but it looks like it would be pretty small. Hate to see that blown up and pixelated.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

edit, beaten

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Paper camera is pretty neat novelty... grabbed minecraft for the hell of it and same goes for the Endomondo Sports Tracker Pro and SoundHound.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

404notfound posted:

How do I stop the Amazon appstore notifications? Also, can I get the free daily app without having to download it? I can just delete it from the cache folder, but it's extra work.

Can't, and it's become the bane of my existance on my phone. I'm currently in the process of going through the apps that I actually like and use that I've gotten free and buying them from the android market so that I can remove the amazon store from my phone.

You can goto the amazon website ( http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=sa_menu_mas2?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011 ) click buy. It will buy it without sending it to your phone. But you will get the message that you have a new app for download.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Wonder when they plan on updating their 10 for .10 page on the market. It still reflects the deals from yesterday.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Still shows yesterdays apps for me.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Vagrancy posted:

Try clearing the Cache. (Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Market)

Did that as well as tried a different browser.

It's trivial though since you can very easily see what apps they are from several different locations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Are you using LBE or something?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

I never had it ask me when I used it.

I too have never had handcent request superuser. It will pop up something for LBE though if you use that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Lookout is pretty much the defacto in my opinion. Although I don't use it, it seems to be a pretty popular app as a whole suite.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Basically. They both do the same thing and are pretty much interchangeable.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

KoB posted:

Am I the only one that cant find the amazon app store? Just got my GNexus and I wanted to install my apps I had on there.

Amazon app store isn't on the market. You have to get it from amazon.com

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

It is, yes. I use it, as does my mother and my girlfriend, and we all love it to bits.

I miss when a pro account let you add on one friend for free to have a pro account too, though.

So if I want to share a list with my wife, she would have to purchase the app too? I couldn't just install the free version then log in with my email?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Siroc posted:

I'm not sure if this goes in the general Android thread or this one. How the heck do I figure out what is using my GPS off and on throughout the day? Its a Samsung Galaxy SII (AT&T) and it has a task manager- I have no programs running according to that. Is there a program that will tell me what is using the GPS?

Very good bet that it's facebook. There was a lovely update put out not to long ago that randomly turns on and off the gps throughout the day. I've just been turning gps off before opening it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

His latest beta from his blog is here

http://woofi.contriving.net/2011/08/beta-update-1-8beta3/

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Krittick posted:

Are there any apps that work as a general weight lifting tracker? I'd also love if it includes animations or illustrations for various exercises. A calorie counter included would be great but I can use a separate app for that if needed.

I know there are a ton of fitness apps but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any personally. Paid or free, either is fine.

JEFIT: I've used this one before but it was awhile ago. Not sure but they may have added calorie counting.
https://market.android.com/details?id=je.fit&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImplLmZpdCJd

Droidfit: works pretty well too, but again, it's been awhile since I've used it.
https://market.android.com/details?id=droid.fit&feature=more_from_developer

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Thermopyle, do you plan to move your 1.8_3 beta into the market anytime soon? I have some friends wanting your app but I'm not sure if I should point them to your blog or to the market.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Regarding woofi turning wifi off. I had woofi disabled and turned my wifi on. It connected everything was good. Turn Woofi on and set my location to be a couple kilometers away. Wait a few minutes and my wifi is off, and Woofi is saying I'm however far away, waiting until whenever to check again.

I have a LTE Gnex.

You really should get the version from his blog and not the market. I used to have a lot of problems, but the beta version on his blog works great for me.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I've got a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

In related news, it started acting up on me again. I returned home (with notifactions on) and waited for it to check the location and turn wifi back on, but after two checks it still wouldn't recognize I was within 1000m of home. I deactivated and reactivated Woofi and as soon as I did that it immediately turned on wifi, even though the notification bar kept saying it was disabled.

Are you using the beta or the market version? I was having that exact issue with the market version but the latest beta (1.8_3) hasn't been giving me this issue.

I know my phone (this issue) was a pretty big pain in the rear end for Thermopyle.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

krushgroove posted:

You're not alone. I can't tell if everyone is joking because it was a crap malware site or if it was actually a breeding ground for awesome Android stuff.

Early in one of the app threads, he came in and posted that he had created a blog for app reviews. Which actually just turned out to be a picture of the app icon on a clear desktop and a short description of what the app does. People gave criticism, to which he greatly declined... goon mentality followed.

Pretty awesomely vague site.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Roundboy posted:

I remember asking about this a whole back, and you said that woofi uses the latest gotten location data, regardless of source. meaning that if I popped into maps, that updated fix it's now available.

Or am I just confused ?

From what I understand it does use the latest data. But from my use it doesn't update that data in the notification until it does it's next check, which if it's in a certain acceptable timeframe, it will just use the data that another app retrieved.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Now I'm wondering what I've installed that could be interfering with the alarms - I got rid of juice defender...

I think it's just android. I've had the problem across multiple phones and multiple stock and custom ROMs. The watchdog alarm in the beta that got added has made woofi 100% stable for me for quite some time now.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 26, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Right, but woofi would have to turn it back on when it's doing a location check since it uses the data network to fetch travel time from your current location to the closest saved location.

So... the only time you would have any kind of connection to the internet would be when you are home on wifi?

This seems silly to me. What's the point of a smartphone at that point. That's basically an always off device as far as I would view it and no better than just using my tablet and a dumbphone.

I guess there is a market for this, but it doesn't make sense to me. The only time I'm on wifi is when I am home, as we don't have wifi at work.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I like loot a lot
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.gumbercules.loot&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5ndW1iZXJjdWxlcy5sb290Il0.

I've tried a whole mess of them and I keep coming back to this one. There is an addon premium app for it that the developer at some point made free for widgets and charts.

The only thing that it doesn't do that I really wish any of the apps would pick up would be to have the app be able to sync with my wife's app in the same way that grocery apps do.

But like I said, this is the one that I keep coming back to time and time again.

edit:

quote:

Meanwhile, anyone here using YNAB? I'm currently messing with the desktop client.

That's cool, I'm going to look into that and give the trial a go. Thanks for that.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 1, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Temple run isn't actually even out yet for Android. I'd look for the air push detector and see if something is generating that.

Made by a goon too
AirPush Detector - Android Market

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Just did the ICS update and google+ keeps saying that it is stopped responding.

Anyone else getting that?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the topic of chrome to phone, it doesn't even work for me any more. Likely because I've flashed so many roms and there's an activation limit, but no way to clear it. I simply can't login anymore.

Can't you just open the app and rerun the setup? That's what I do after every ROM flash.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Anyone with amazon prime that watches on your phone or tablet? What's the best way or is it even possible? Google searching showed some success with just flash and the website.

Their latest additions make me want to look more seriously into getting prime.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

rolleyes posted:

I have a question about the facebook app. Since the various 'timeline-esque' updates I can't figure out how to view the 'likes' on a photo. Have they moved this somewhere else or have they just been really :downs: and broken it?

The app doesn't let you view the likes which is really dumb. I only keep the app installed so I can upload pictures to facebook easily from my phone. Otherwise, I use the website for everything else.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

The CRAZY HARD TO FIGURE OUT screen presses are:
1: press the screen
2: Press the bottom right area that shows a thumbs up and a comments bubble.

That also only shows me the comments. I can see who likes posts, but pictures just can't get to them.

Any other snarky suggestions?

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 15, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I like Loot and the addon Loot Premium.

The developer has made loot premium free and all it does is allow for widgets and charts.

The app is basically a check register. But it does it really well. It doesn't try to be more than that so that's why I keep coming back to it.

Also, Hulu updated!
http://www.androidcentral.com/hulu-plus-updated-additional-tablet-support-and-new-ui

Hulu Plus updated with additional tablet support and new UI, which include:
Asus Eee Pad Transformer
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
Motorola Xoom
Motorola XYBoard 10.1
Toshiba Thrive
Acer Iconia
LG G-Slate
HTC Flyer
Vizio 8" Tablet

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

New beta of woofi. Barring any reported bugs that aren't easy fixes, it will be on the market within a few days. New features and bug fixes at the link. You can give me feedback here, in a comment on the blog, or on G+.

A lot of appreciation to those who have helped beta test in the past!

The woofi unlocker doesn't seem to get picked up in this version. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the unlocker, however woofi still reports that I don't have the paid version.

• Locked thread