Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ray Finkle
Aug 28, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

I'm coming back to Android after a while with iOS, and I'm wondering... are there any applications similar to Air Video (i.e. streaming video) on Android?

Air Video is very simple. It streams your videos from your home PC to your device but allows transcoding if needed. Unlike Plex, it doesn't require monitoring folders and it doesn't support metadata. It just shows your folders and files and works flawlessly. It's also incredibly fast, and if a file is directly supported (i.e. MP4 with H.264 and AAC), it supports direct playback and bypasses the transcode.

BubbleUPNP on Android seems to be very popular and I could use it with MiniDLNAd, but it doesn't support transcoding (for slow cellular networks), and I don't think it lets you seek/scrub during video playback.

Plex seems to be the closest to Air Video, but requires monitoring folders and importing data. I just want something to browse my files with any metadata attached or scraping required.

Firstly, BubbleUPnP doesn't play video directly, it uses an external renderer of your choosing, which means scrubbing IS supported. I use it to connect to my file server when on my home WiFi, and it works great.

If you want to transcode with bubbleupnp they actually have a free server-side plug-in called Bubbleupnp Server that adds that as well a few other features. I use that combination to cast videos from my server directly to the chromecasts in my house and it's worked with everything I've thrown at it. It'll do this stuff over cellular too if you set it up that way but I have no need for this so I can't say how well it works.

In fact I highly recommend any DLNA server + Bubbleupnp + bubbleupnp server for those with chromecasts looking for a free alternative to Plex.

In your case the other alternative that I know of that doesn't require maintaining a library, works over cellular radio, and has transcoding is Serviio Pro, but that costs $25 (although the free version comes with a 15-day trial of the pro version). The benefit of it is that it also has a web app, and overall it's probably a little easier to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread