Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you're looking to do that this app works perfectly (not free though)

Unlock with Wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah, something in android changed a while back that meant it would only work with pin and password, and I haven't seen any other app be able to do it either.

E:I remember now: There used to be a bug or exploit that could overide the lock screen temporarily. Once that got fixed the only way to do it is to turn off and then re apply the lock screen pin. You can't do that with pattern or face as it requires real user interaction

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 5, 2013

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LiquidRain posted:

I'd rather not run AirDroid in the background constantly as I'm vigilant about battery.

I'm a recent convert to Airdroid and have been running on my n4 for the last couple of weeks. I've noticed zero difference to my battery life just leaving it on..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

deong posted:

Speaking of, is there a good way to scrape the unique numbers out of contacts? My contacts all got that poo poo back in GB days.

Export all your contacts in Gmail, mass delete the crap in excel. Delete all your contacts and Re-import

You will lose any custom pictures you have attached to contacts though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Looks like no quick-reply for sms if you're using hangouts.

Glowfly kind of works on the n5, except it generally doesnt clear the notification or mark read.

Also sometimes it just doesnt work at all. Better than nothing though! :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, and I feel I'm probably missing some functionality that might be useful.

Double tap and hold, then drag up and down. I generally just double tap to zoom though, or pinch

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

deong posted:

Is there a way to restore some of the messages? I've only noticed a way to "restore", and that restores my last 5 years worth. I usually just leave them in gmail and if I need to get back to something search there. But thought I'd ask since SMS Backup+ came up. I'd like to restore like 1 weeks worth of text basically.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_GB

SMS Backup and Restore will do that.

I use SMS Backup+ to back up to gmail on the go, and SMS Backup and Restore when moving phones or after a new ROM flash

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kheldarn posted:

For those of you who use this kind of thing, JuiceSSH hit 500,000 users, and is celebrating by giving away free Pro Pack upgrades until Tuesday, March 18.

Juice SSH is really really good, even if you only ever occasionally need an SSH client on your phone this is worth picking up

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

deong posted:

Ive been using connectbot for years.. Its ugly but works. Is juice comparable/better? Does it let you port forward? I use SSH to get to some internal web apps.

edit; well looks like it was designed as an updated connectbot.. Thanks!

I used connectbot for ages too till someone recommended Juice, its generally nicer all round. Tab completion too which I don't remember cb having. The cloud sync feature is cool as well if you have multiple devices.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Infomaniac posted:

Best/ favorite NFC app to trigger events? Preferably from an independent dev.

I've always used Trigger, used to be called NFC action launcher. Never tried anything else to be fair, but it seems to do the job.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Require More Fire posted:

Speaking of DashClock, is there a one-stop-shop extension that can just read all notifications and throw up an entry on DashClock for each? The closest thing I can find is DashNotifier, which requires setting up individual entries for every notification that might pop up.

You can do this using lightflow

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I just open a handful of links from the beta fb app and they all opened fine in link bubble, so maybe try out the beta?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skywalker OG posted:

Is Pushbullet better than Airdroid?

It does one thing incredibly well - sending stuff between devices (or to other people's devices)

Airdroid is massive overkill if that's all you want to do

E: the notification mirroring is a nice bonus too

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 12, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just to check, you are turning off the screen when testing right?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah the messenger app is actually pretty good, Why do you refuse to install it?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

wolfbiker posted:

Is there a free flashlight app that simply turns on when I open the app and turns off when I close it, no extra bullshit, no ads, just a simple on/off flashlight? I'm having a hard time finding one that's free and simple. A lot of them are filled with useless (to me) features. Why this isn't a part of Android I do not know.

It is in Lollipop

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

I've been trying out PushBullet for a week or so and for the most part it's been going fine, but in the last few days it stopped mirroring texts to my computer. I'm using the (beta) Windows program that sits in the task tray, and like I said, it started out mirroring texts as well as any other notification, but now I never see texts on either my desktop or my laptop. Anyone have any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Did you accidentally disable instead of dismiss? Go into the pushbullet app settings on your phone -> turn on and off for specific apps

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What are you running it on? I don't think I've seen a crash since it was very first available as a beta

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Don't most streaming apps come with a 'only work on WiFi' option?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Some, but not all. Also things like installing apps from the Play Store (it only warns you for large apps, but you can totally eat ~50mb doing 3-4 manual app updates).

I realise I am not really answering your original question but the play store also has a WiFi only option

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Probably be easier to spend a few quid on a physical adapter.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ooh, it auto imports all your other email accounts, nice

I can stop using the old play store mail app on Lollipop now

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Click the account in settings and the 3 dots gives you a delete option

You can also change all the options including the name in the app itself

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Click the account again, the second screen gives you the option

E: just tried changing the name and yeah that doesn't work

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 1, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

With gmail being able to have other accounts in it now does inbox not work the same way?

E:also anyone got a spare invite feel free to send it my way ta

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah right, I see

I guess inbox won't be much use to me either

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have no idea if this actually works as it was probably done by a 13 year old on XDA
https://www.pushbullet.com/channel?tag=n5lollipop

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ragingsheep posted:

It does for me on the latest Calendar.

They dont show up here :iiam:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

I updated my Nexus 4 to lollipop last night, and am having a little difficulty with a couple apps. I got LastPass up and running fine, but I can't allow its accessibility service - when I tap the switch, I get a message about what that will allow the app to do, but tapping the ok button doesn't do anything, I can only tap cancel.

Have you got lux running or something similar?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that conflict. I can't find where in the Lux settings to disable it for those kinds of screens, though. Do you know where that is?

You're looking for sleep mode in advanced

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Hmm. I can't seem to find the right things to add to that list. I tried settings and a few others including package installer (since I couldn't install F-droid), but I still can't tap ok or install.

I would probably just turn it off while you do it then. I can't imagine you'd need to use that particular setting too often

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aren't most battery saver apps a complete waste of time or actually make stuff worse?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, other people in this thread have reported light flow being hosed on 5.0

It's been 100% fine for me so it's not everyone

The persistent lockscreen notification was a pain but that got fixed a while back

Whizbang posted:

The solution is to go back to KitKat because Lollipop is super broken.

Haha, yeah alright chief, good one

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 2, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

You have to turn 2FA off and then back on. It's a security feature that you cannot add a 2FA device to an account that already has 2FA enabled, although I somewhat dispute that the workflow has to be quite so fiddly.

Isnt there a 'move to a different phone' link in security settings. Fairly sure I used something like that recently

e:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

butt dickus posted:

FYI if you tap a sticker in new Hangouts it automatically sends.

Farting cat or nothing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dissss posted:

Some builds are but 5.0.1 seems pretty solid

A week or so in and the redraws have started again for me on 5.0.1 n5

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its definitely a lot better, but I've had a few today with no odd usage pattern

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OSheaman posted:

OK so I'm working on customizing my phone/home screen. So far I've gotten to this:

I often don't know what day it is too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I often need to see what day it is at a quick glance too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why does it matter if chrome is closed or not?

• Locked thread