Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

:roboluv: Android Apps! :roboluv:
Need suggestions from manchildren about apps? Need to argue about the interface of your favorite music player? You've come to the right place!

i. New stuff in the world of Android apps:
- Android 4.2 Not really "apps" so much, but the 4.2 keyboard introduces Swype-style typing. You can find it on the Play Store if your device doesn't have 4.2 yet.
- Not much else!

ii. Awesome Goon-Made Apps!

Awful Betamax: A SA forums browser written by Ferg and others! It's updated often, and is way better than the site on a phone. The new version has fixed a lot of the problems the old version had. It's pretty great now. Don't forget to check the app's thread for more details!

Woofi: Thermopyle wrote this app that will automatically manage your WiFi, based on your location. It's a simple idea, but a useful one! And it's :siren:FREE:siren:, although there is an unlocker ($.99) for more features. It's no longer in active development, but it still works.

Beaver (Lite/$2.99): A super-handy private browser. Has all of the features of a good Android web browser, but will automatically clear browsing history on exit, a hidden stash of files that can only be accessed by password, and a bunch of other awesome features. It's more than just "Incognito Mode" for your phone.

Emit (Free/$3.54): A nice-looking media streamer. Supports streaming over 3G/WiFi. I haven't used this myself, so if anyone has a testimonial or more info, I'll put it here!

Out of Milk (Free/$1.99 Pro Version): Shamelessly stolen from their website: Out of Milk is an easy-to-use and intuitive Shopping List, To-Do List and Pantry List app that can be as simple or as detailed as you'd like. Out of Milk features a Barcode Scanner, the ability to specify price, quantity, unit, coupons and notes, and many more features. Out of Milk allows you to sync your lists with our full-featured companion website. You can also share your lists with other Out of Milk Pro users.

iii. Handy Apps I Recommend.
Clock Widgets
Beautiful Widgets [Paid] [1.6+]
Beautiful Widgets provides quality looking widgets with full skinning support. Clock/Weather, various toggle, battery, and date widgets are provided. Also has an option for a temperature notification in the notification bar.

Ultimate Custom Clock Widget
UCCW is the defacto widget set for customizing homescreens. It's extremely flexible and there are a TON of skins out there to find and use.

Spotify/Rdio/MOG/etc. - Over the past year or so, subscription music services have taken off. The newest comer in the US is Spotify, but they all basically do the same thing. You pay $x/mo. and in return, they allow you to listen to all the music you want. You don't get to keep the music, but it's an extremely convenient way to listen to music on your phone - no need to sync any files.

Tasker: This app allows you to automate a lot of things on your phone. Would you like your phone to turn your brightness down and disable wifi, Bluetooth and GPS when your battery is low? If you're looking for your phone to do activity x when you do thing y, this is probably the app for you.

Apex Launcher (Free/$3.99)/Nova Launcher (Free/$4.00): Two custom launchers that are built upon the stock Ice Cream Sandwich launcher. Honestly, I don't know that there's a huge difference between the two. Both have paid versions that unlock additional features.

iv. Alternative Markets!

Either you love this idea or you hate it, but recently, other companies have started to run their own Android app markets.

Amazon Appstore - The most popular alternative. Every day, they offer a new free app. Honestly, this is... kind of the only benefit as far as I'm concerned.

GetJar - This place used to be a giant repository of .jar files for cell phones back in the day. They've since morphed into an app market of sorts. The big attraction is that they have an ever-growing section of "Gold" apps - basically, free apps that... well, always seems to be free. Other than that, it's not nearly as nice as Amazon's.

v. Other resources
Other Android threads:
Android Device thread
Rooted Android thread
Android Games Thread
Show Off Your Desktop

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I was just coming here to mention the Market deal. At $.10 a piece, there's almost no reason not to try them all. I hope this becomes a regular Steam-style thing, not just a one-off.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As far as apps are concerned, ADW Launcher EX is about the only app to mention here in this thread. For $.10, it's worth checking out.
There are quite a few games worth getting, although that's not really the discussion for this thread.

Also, both the new Facebook and Twitter apps are really nice, IMO. The Facebook app resembles the recently-released iPad app now (although it could be like the new web interface, haven't seen it yet), and Twitter is apparently rolling out their new interface everywhere (mobile site, desktop site, Android + iOS apps).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Manky posted:

The Twitter app looks like it has potential, but it has some asinine design right now. What the hell is that toolbar at the top with nothing but the Twitter logo and a single button? And why doesn't it give you any control over notifications? Ugggh and the timeline has so much wasted spaaace, why does it need two maaargins

Go to your account settings, it still has notification settings! And yes, wasted screen real estate is meh, but it's at least attractive waste, unlike the last UI. I hated that design with a passion.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

I'm using Go Locker for an ICS-style lock screen. However, maybe 20% of the time I unlock my phone the normal lock screen comes up first, then Go Locker after I do the normal slide unlock. I'm running a beta AOSP-based ROM that unfortunately doesn't have the option to disable lock screen. Any other ideas on how to resolve this issue, besides just giving up my nice looking lock screen?

WidgetLocker. The new default style is an ICS-alike and it's far nicer than Go Locker ever was for me.

*EDIT* Sorry if that seemed dismissive. Go Locker has never worked terribly smoothly for me, and I just assume that weird things like that are the fault of the app, since it seemed pretty janky when I used it. I picked up WidgetLocker and it did exactly what I wanted it to do (be an ICS style lock screen) and more.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

THF13 posted:

This thread isn't being remade like the device thread just was anytime soon is it?
Feel free to create a new OP. I've had a lot suddenly on my plate, and it's left me almost no time to spend updating this thread.
Either 900ftjesus or I will close the thread once you open up a new one, and feel free to take anything you'd like from my OP.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

fudsak posted:

Haha, engadget just posted whoever held the funds from kick starter on the Chameleon tablet app left the project. They need to make a NEW kickstarter project now. Who wants to donate another $50k to an app?
Yeah, Kickstarter isn't that stupid. No money changes hands until the project is funded and the Kickstarter drive ends. Engadget did a horrible, horrible job of copying their story from Android Police. Basically, the employee whose Amazon Payments account they were using for the money left the company, and you can't change accounts during the fundraising time. So they had to cancel their Kickstarter and will have to start it up again with a new Amazon Payments account.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Is there any consensus on a great PC remote app? I've tried Unified Remote, but the fact that I can't use the Android keyboard to type in apps is pretty much a dealbreaker...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'm officially out of the Android game altogether, so it's probably best if someone else start a new thread for Android apps.

I go between platforms so often, I have libraries of purchased apps for just about everything now, so I'm sure this isn't the last time I switch...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Nerdrock posted:

The promo was today (12/13), but they've run out of them. They allegedly have something else up their sleeve, and encourage those that missed this to "stay tuned".
The "something else" they have up their sleeve is free expedited shipping if you order one. I understand that they don't want to give their entire stock of controllers away for free, but it would've been nice if they specified a quantity they were willing to give away, considering they've "run out" of the stock that was free. It'd give people one less reason to complain, at least.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

resident posted:

Can anyone comment on how well the MLB At Bat Android app works for streaming games these days? It is probably my final deciding factor between a new iPad and a Nexus 7.
I haven't used it since the World Series (:argh:Giants!:argh:), but toward the end of the season, they introduced a new interface they're going to use for the 2013 season - it brings it close to the iOS interface, but the iOS version of the app is still nicer.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Radbot posted:

Fire up Google Translate in the app, mobile, or desktop site, and audio pronounce the following phrase in English: "I took my dog to the Apple store end with"

W-why... why is this a thing that happens?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone looking for a good newsreader needs to get Press. It's pretty and... shows you news.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Trillian is probably your best bet here.

Unless they've overhauled it, Trillian's interface is pretty awful. Personally, I prefer imo. They've tried rebranding it as a WhatsApp-style chat app, but it still has good multi-protocol chat support.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Forbidden Kiss posted:

My Nexus 4 is in the mail and the only iOS app I'm going to miss is TweetBot. Is there an agreed upon 'best' twitter client for Android is really powerful and also a pleasure to use? I've done some searching and haven't really found a consensus pick yet.

There isn't an Android Twitter client that is as nice as Tweetbot is. I used Tweetbot for about a year and still can't find anything as pleasant to use. Falcon Pro is probably the closest thing to a great Twitter app - it abides by Android's design guidelines and is generally intuitive, but it's still pretty basic.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Siliziumleben posted:

I've been using the MyFitnessPal app for calorie/macronutrient tracking, but I find the app to be somewhat cumbersome to use. Is there another diet tracking app with a food database that's as good as MFP's?

Haven't found one. Fitbit's is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be as detailed and some of the calories/serving are off in the foods I've found.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

...Yeah, you made a mistake purchasing a phone powered by Google products if you don't want to use said Google products.
Also, don't steal other people's wifi, you rear end.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

I know this is a long shot, especially based on everything I've read, but:

Does anyone have nay ideas on how to get Internet Explorer/ActiveX working on an android tablet?

Let me explain: My mother-in-law really wants a tablet, as she is a realtor and always on the run. The problem is, the main site all realtors use (at least in Miami) to look at all the properties on the market, is a site called mlxchage.com. If you go on a non-IE browser it will tell you you need IE. I thought this was just a dumb script, so I spoofed the UA and got around it. It seems like its not just bullshit, though, cause the login box gets all mangled to the point where you can't login. In addition to that, it throws some error at you. Now I'm not actually sure that this is ActiveX but I can't imagine why it gets all screwy like that with something other than IE if it werent for an ActiveX issue.

This is such a huge problem that even a mini-industry has popped up offering realtors access to MLXchange via VNC/Remote access to Windows PC's from their Macs/Mobile devices. I'm aware I could setup VNC for her on her laptop at home or something but i'm afraid of an inconsistent home connection and other things which would make it unusable.

Any ideas? Seems like virtualiztion of windows (like XP or ever 2000 or something) on Android is not a thing yet so I'm running out of ideas.

Her best bet is to get a Windows 8 or RT tablet.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

Aren't these like The loving Worst?

Also they're massively expensive.

Uh. They're not expensive. They don't have as massive an app selection, but it's gonna be better than an Android tablet if her number one requirement is "have Internet Explorer". They're not bad per se, but most people who are up-to-date with technology can see that RT, as a platform, has flaws. If those flaws don't really bother her (app selection and the lack of a true desktop experience being the biggest), it should be something she considers. If work is her primary goal, it has IE and Office.

*EDIT* The RT thread is probably the better place to go if you're inclined to talk about them further, and the Android tablet thread is the place to go if you're set on one.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 22, 2013

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sobriquet posted:

Do you have the pro version? How/how well does it handle group messaging?

It doesn't handle it any differently than the stock messaging app (ie it shows an MMS coming from one person, but when it's downloaded, it throws it into a group thread), but getting it to download MMS is still a bit of a pain.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MycroftXXX posted:

I love how the google music app has 700mb cached and that translates into 4 songs 'On Device'. All of the rest of my music that was on device magically disappeared.

Any chance that's also "cached" music from streaming? That's another one of my big issues with Play Music, unless that's been "fixed".

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Wait, how I can do that on my Nexus 10? The 16:10 aspect ratio means there's really no room for a dock on bottom of the screen - I'd rather put it on left or right side of the screen.

That's how it works for a portrait device (ie. Phone or Nexus 7)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Athenry posted:

Ugh, when did that happen?

I've been playing with Talon for Twitter Its made by the guy that made Sliding Messaging, which I love. Might have to switch over full time.

Seconding this. I used to be a Falcon Pro guy, but Talon is really great. It's a shame there's still nothing as nice as Twitterrific or Tweetbot, but it's not bad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dik-dik posted:

Outside of this thread (i.e., in real life) I've never heard of anyone hating SMS or wanting to replace it with chat clients for anything other than group chats.

I've had multiple non-techy friends talk about how they will likely never switch to another platform because they don't want to give up iMessage. iPhone users obviously know the difference between a green and blue bubble, but higher quality images/gifs/videos, the voice messages, and the integration with OS X is a killer feature to a lot of people I know. I have one friend who complains when I switch from iOS to Android, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I know the OP is woefully out of date. I switched back to Android after platform hopping a bunch. I don't post here nearly as much as I used to, but I'm gonna try to redo a portion of the OP. I'm gonna take note of sections I need to fix, here's what I have so far:
- Podcast apps
- Twitter clients
- Maybe redo music players
- Get rid of most of the custom clock/widget stuff

And can anyone help me with goon-made apps that need to be pruned or added to that section? I have PMs, so people can feel free to send me stuff that way.

• Locked thread