Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
BeyondPod can update podcasts at custom intervals and replace lockscreen with player when playing.

gReader is fast, clean-looking RSS app with a lot of great features.

Ringdroid lets you edit mp3s to make ringtones and notifications.

uberMusic is a super-smooth music player that can look like Zune.

Launcher 7 is a really nice Windows Phone 7 style launcher; supports widgets .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

thegreatcodfish posted:

Is slideit any good, or should I just wait for swype to support the galaxy nexus? Its on the market for .99 right now.

I tried SlideIT and it works ok but I never use it. I'm really psyched for Swype at the end of the month though.

quote:

Good news! Official ICS support is near. Final tweaks and testing should be done in time for an anticipated end-of-month beta update.

https://twitter.com/!/Swype

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Is there a version of the ICS launcher that enables scrolling widgets like Greader Pro?

I tried ADW and LauncherPro but the browser widgets is laggy on the former and the latter crashes.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

lelandjs posted:

So the girlfriend and I used to send Emoji to each other from our iPhones as part of our dastardly plan to be insufferably cute. Is there a way that we can continue to do that now that I have an Android phone?

Go SMS and Handcent have emoji plugins. Just search for "emoji" in the market lol

Try whatsapp if data is cheaper than sending texts for you

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 5, 2012

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

As of now there is no way to change the user agent. I'm sure they'll add it eventually.

That... Kinda sucks. Between not having the gesture shortcuts and flash I don't really see a reason to try it. Is it a lot faster?

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 12, 2012

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

Nothing additional, I'm just accustom to the basic line-style of my old Droid so I was looking for something stripped down if possible. The left-right orientation of sender and receiver really bugs me for some reason.

Not really what you're asking for but the Metro Messaging has a decent UI (it's a Windows Phone ripoff).

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

For anyone using twitter still or looking for a good app, Boid was recently posted on XDA as an ICS themed twitter app that looks pretty great. Don't use twitter so I haven't checked it out myself, but it looks nice.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529622

Not sure if it requires ICS or not, the market link doesn't specify but I think it does.

it looks nice and is as smooth as any app i've ever used but definitely still an alpha - just tried it out for a minute and clicking a tweet brought up a different tweet, then the app told me it failed to update my feed. Tweetdark still the best twitter client.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Poweramp question:

I was drawing Lady Gaga on Draw Something last night and used the player screen on Poweramp as a reference. I poked the album cover a bunch of times (to stop the screen from sleeping) and I must have pressed something wrong because now the album art's not there anymore. I tried everything (different album cover settings, restoring an older TB backup of Poweramp, deleting and adding the album again, poking randomly around the screen). Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/8FgrW

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Cleared Album cache in Poweramp and it worked itself out. Not sure what happened there.

Does anyone have a problem with Google Play Music crashing when scrolling in portrait?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

UncleNaughtyFingers posted:

When you long press the album art it searches for alternative album art(by id3 tag Google image search I think).
You may have brought up that menu and got what you had when you randomly tapped.
Just long press again and select whatever art you want in the future if it ever happens again.

That was it right there. Can't believe I didn't try long pressing the album art before the other stuff.

Ciabatta posted:

Really? I've had no issues ever with Music. Scrolling (even in landscape!) is smooth, even with a few thousand songs, making playlists, pinning stuff, streaming, etc etc. Since it has lockscreen and notification controls in ICS, I haven't had any desire to look for an alternate music app. Is it buggy for most people or missing features many can't do without?

It worked flawlessly for a while for me too. Then when it updated to Play it started making GBS threads itself and crashing literally every time I scrolled through a list. Reverting to the old version of the app didn't help. It's still super smooth though, and I have close to 10000 songs there now. The only feature I'd miss is gapless playback (android stock player white whale)

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I hate the google nusic player. No sleep timer, no alarm, no ability to edit tags or album art, it takes over the notification widget music controls so I can't use them with Winamp, it sometimes randomly starts playing music for no discernable reason, and it keeps doing this poo poo:

Splitting ambums up even though it's all tagged with the same album and artist. About the only thing it does that I like is stream music. That API can't come out soon enough.

What about the Album Artist field?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
You can just make a picture on mspaint (or word or anything else really) and set it up with desktop Visualizer.

Anyone tried LMT Launcher? You can do pretty much anything (home/back/menu, open an app) with gestures. Works pretty well but you need root.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

Not sure if there's an app for this or whether it is generally doable or not.

Is there a way to set my notification noises (SMS in particular, but maybe email or others too) to play a random mp3 from a selected folder? I like the idea of mixing up the messages I receive a bit.

Tone Shuffler can do this. Search "ringtone randomizer" in the play store if you want to try some other ones.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

i like tacos posted:

Comicrack is pretty good. It allows syncing with the desktop app and wireless if you pay for it.

Seconding ComicRack. Great interface and its transitions (top left - top right - middle left - middle right - bottom left - bottom right - next page top left) are smooth and convenient too.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"Higher reliability" and "enhanced quality"? It can't be anymore reliable or have better quality than what my uplink allows for.

Obviously where hangouts is a win is video between three or more parties, since presumably you upload your stream once to a Google cloud service which then repeats it for all the parties. In contrast, if you tried to do a three-way video call with P2P streams, you'd have to upload your stream twice which would take a huge quality hit.

I guess I was wondering if it's any better for two-party communication, like if it uses newer codecs or echo cancellation or anything like that, or if all that technology is the same.

That's a good find though, thanks!

gigaom.com/2012/07/30/google-unifies-messengers-replaces-google-talk-video-with-hangouts-in-gmai/

Looks like Google gave you a new answer

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Does anyone know how to make bookmarks' thumbnails appear on the scrolling Chrome widget?

I've visited most of my bookmarks (with chrome) but only a few showed up as thumbnails. I've tried resetting of course.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Flopstick posted:

Even then it asks if I want to use Awful app though. Don't want to stop using that.

This was a problem for me last week until I uninstalled Awful Betamax. Sorry whoever made the app.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I think the problem is google-side not the album grabber side. You will need to remove the music from your google play and re-upload the files with the embedded album art.

actually you can just edit it on the desktop site.

Primworm posted:

What do you mean? Other than the free tracks and albums I grab from google, I put all my music on my SD card. Are you telling me there is a google cloud service for music?

I am guessing i probably have to put an album art.jpg into the folder in my case, i was just hoping there was an app to do it for me.

just look up album art in the play store.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Noticeable Dickvein posted:

Is there a free podcast app that let's you download podcasts rather than stream them. I have been using double twist but they want money for the version that does that.

I use Beyondpod but I'm not sure whether the free version lets you download. Podkicker should do the trick though: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ait.podka

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The solution for playing youtube with the screen off or multitasking is PVStar+

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.asbit.pvstar

I downloaded that last week and its been working perfectly. Just checked out the ad-free version and the Engrish is pretty funny:

This is NO AD version of PVSTAR+.
Please use this app, before you try to use the FREE version.

[Very easy operation]
- Play the ranking continuously. Listen to popular songs at once!
- Video search by artist. Selected from the search results, continuous playback!
- If you make a mylist, ready for your favorite albums! Even wallpaper can be set!
- As it is playing a YouTube playlist. Effort to create a mylist is not required!
- Playing in the background. While still other work OK!

[Also active in this scene]
- Classification into a list of your favorite music videos, repeat playback.
- Playing in the background even go out. You can enjoy your earphones.
- Also convenient for commuting. Mylists made ​​last night will help you.
- Before sleep and play and set a sleep timer.
- Continuous playback in the playlist the video of the series.
- Also active in the drive. Please try to connect to the car audio.

Please find your original usage.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Does anyone know the settings in poweramp to keep your track's position (so that when you play another song and play the first song again it comes back to the same spot)?

Thanks in advance guys

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 4, 2013

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Google Search doesn't recognize my "listen to" commands, it just searches "listen to (whatever)". Play Music is checked in settings and I can search music by typing it out. Everything's up-to-date and it's a S4 running CM10.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
There is as of a couple weeks ago. Google Keep - Your thoughts, wherever you are by Google, Inc.
https://appsto.re/hk/aDhw9.i

Is there an app that plays audio only for video files?

• Locked thread