Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is there a way to change what deafult apps Google Now works with? For example, when there's the "x time to home" tab open and I tap "go", I'd like if it opened Waze instead of Google Maps in navigation mode. I've looked all over and found nothing about how to do this, or if it is even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The new Calendar from apkmirror doesn't update my old Calendar, it just installs alongside it. Weird. Maps and Gmail behaved as expected, I dunno why Calendar doesn't.

Oh well, I'll just wait for the official rollout :sigh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tunga posted:

This is impossible, they have the same package name so you can't have both installed. What device? The calendar app you already have installed is probably some OEM-provided thing.

Moto G LTE. I'll try to look into it.

e. Sure enough, the "Calendar" on my device's not Google Calendar, but something... absolutely identical, only Moto-branded :raise:
Installed Google Calendar from the store, disabled the other Calendar and updated with the apk, everything's fine.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 5, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Freezer posted:

I installed a whatsapp update today and now everyone can see two ticks on their message to me confirming I read their message and when I did so.

I really do not want this feature at all, and want the freedom to respond to people whenever I want to back. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it under settings. Anyone know which version should I roll back to to disable this ?

There should be a way to disable this. You have to untick something called "Show last online time" or similar (my system language's not English so I can only guess what it would be called).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a way (or an app) to completely turn off all notifications while still keeping the ringtone active? I have elderly parents and no landline phone, so I like to leave the ringtone on so I can be reached in case of an emergency, but I'm also a really light sleeper so I'm easily awoken by the phone vibrating on the nightstand (all my notifications are vibration-only except for text messages, which have sound).

I guess I COULD go into each and every app and turn notifications off, then turn them back on in the morning, but it would be a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm on a Moto G LTE, if it makes a difference.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tunga posted:

Before you spend a ton of time setting this up, note that Lollipop has it built in. You can put your phone in "important notifications only" mode which allows alarms through as well as calls and/or messages from specific contacts (or from everyone). It's the new silent mode, effectively.

Note sure when the Moto G LTE is getting Lollipop but it's probably not going to be a long wait based on Motorola's track record and the general speed that everyone is getting updates out this time around.

Thanks for the answers, guys :)

I'll just wait for the Lollipop update, meanwhile I'll make do with the Assist app.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I dislike the new Calendar's layout for month view. I have several calendars synched to it, and in the old Calendar the events showed up in month view as coloured tabs in the corresponding day; that made it easy to plan things ("I have a work thing three Mondays from now so I'm free in the evening" or "I have a sport thing next week so I'm busy in the afternoon"). With the new Calendar there's just a circle around days which have an event, so I have to scroll to the day and check what that is, wasting time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Safe and Secure! posted:

Can someone recommend a file manager app?

I don't use them much, but Total Commander works fine.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Karthe posted:

Can you guys recommend me a clock widget that will let me display any timezone I choose? I'm doing some international travel and want to keep track of the time back home.

If you don't mind having to touch something rather than having it right there on the homescreen, the stock clock app does this. You just put the clock widget on the home screen, then touch that and it takes you to the app, where you can add all the timezones you want.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My mom's galaxy s4 mini doesn't play nice with Google fit. It works fine as a step counter, but it doesn't seem to want to record walking or cycling activities. I checked everything I can think of, location sharing is enabled, GPS is enabled, etc. Nothing. Anyone has any idea why this might be?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I got a Moto X2 yesterday and I just want to ask real quick: Are there any good boxing timer apps (an interval-based workout timer app with timers for rounds and rest periods)?

I use this one for running, it works fine.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I need an app to do something wierd. I want to set a time and date (and maybe a time zone) and have the app display the time until / time since that moment. Does anyone know about an app that does that? Must be free (don't want to spend money on that), and preferably with a widget but it's not a deal breaker.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Is there an alternative to Skype to connect to the Skype network? I'm running an Android x86 distribution and Skype keeps crashing on me, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out what's wrong.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I was just listening to the radio, and they ran an ad for a new show, which ended with a voice saying "OK Google set alarm listen to (show name) at (time)". I have voice commands turned off, but that was pretty clever if you ask me :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Aaaaaand the new Maps saves offline maps to internal storage, with no option to use the SD card instead. Maps which can take up several gigs of space. Because gently caress people who don't have a phone with huge internal storage, am I right?

Wow that came out a bit harsher than intended, but I'm not going to reword it.

• Locked thread