Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there anything out there like Phantom Music Widget that's either A) free or B) can at least be purchased via the Market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

plester1 posted:

Is this what you're looking for? https://market.android.com/details?id=cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget&hl=en

Yes and no. The free version of Phantom doesn't support Ubermusic. I just want a music widget that works with Ubermusic and dissapears when not in use. I'd but Phantom but I don't want to do the PayPal thing.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Problem with WidgetLocker: I have CM7 set to disable the slider screen but use PIN for security. I have WidgetLocker serve as the lockscreen, but when I unlock WL, there's a brief second where it flashes whatever I have open on the phone (or the homescreen if no app is open) before it brings up the PIN entry.

I don't like this for two reasons: 1) The delay means I have to wait a second before I can enter my code and 2) It gives anyone poking at my phone a second to see what's on the screen, which I don't like.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Couch Life posted:

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

Yeah, when WidgetLocker works it's good but it's incredibly quirky. I've used it on three or four roms across two phones and it's never really worked smoothly.

Which is a shame because I love the ICS lockscreen.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Ugh, I love WidgetLocker's ICS lockscreen but I hate how finicky the app is.

I'm using it with CM7 and a PIN lock, and I've got CM7 set to disable the stock slide lock before the PIN. WidgetLocker, though, will show whatever my foreground app is in the half-second between when I slide the lock icon and when the PIN screen appears. So if the phone locks while I've got an email open, it'll show that email VERY quickly between WidgetLocker unlocking and the PIN screen appearing. It's annoying as hell. Any ideas what could cause this?

It wasn't happening for a while but it's started up again.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I've bounced around between launchers but I always end up back at LauncherPro+. Yeah, the lack of updates sucks but it's easily the smoothest running launcher on my phone. It's not lacking anything I really care about.

My bigger annoyance with it, and Fede's music app, is the lack of updates. And if Duke Nukem Forever taught us anything its that we shouldn't trust devs that use the "it'll be ready when it's ready" line. :argh:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

:stare:

Holy poo poo this is awesome. Thanks for posting it. Didn't even know I wanted something like this.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
On the page for the sketch program there's a video where the user is using a stylus with his phone. I'm going to get a tablet sooner rather than later and a stylus and that sketch program would be nice. Is that a special stylus I can buy, or...?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Dradien posted:

I assume any stylus that is Capacitive can be used, I know Best buy has some, however, never actually USING one I can't say for sure, but they /should/ work.

Huh. Didn't know such a thing existed. I feel pretty dumb. :psyduck:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

nickhimself posted:

SwiftKey would be infinitely better if there were a T9 layout. Smart Keyboard Pro has it and it's been, by far, the best keyboard for my needs.

Totally agree here. Smart Keyboard Pro has been my go-to keyboard for ages.

I like Swiftkey but the short space bar kills me. I've tried to adapt but I always end up missing it when I type.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Anyone have any recommendations for password vault apps? I need something to keep track of all my web logins/passes that's easy to manage and backup.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

hooah posted:

I've been using KeePass for a few months now, and it's pretty handy. Have it installed on my two computers, my phone, and my tablet. I just throw the password file into DropBox, and it's available anywhere, which I think it pretty slick.

Ok, that's what I'm using and have been using but I can't create or edit new passwords from the app, apparently? I can do it with the Windows application but not within the app.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

404notfound posted:

The 2.x versions of the KeePass database are read-only on the Android app: http://www.keepassdroid.com/

Ooooh. Goddammit. I knew I was editing them on-device at some point. Makes sense now.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Does ADW EX come with a widget set like LauncherPro+? Like, calendar, contacts, social feed, etc.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Huh. Decided to take a chance on ADW EX, and I have to say it's just about up there with LPP in terms of smoothness. It has all of LPP's features and then some. The only thing it lacks is native widgets like LPP has. Think I'm gonna' stick with this unless Fede actually releases his magical LPP rewrite and it does something extra incredible.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

900ftjesus posted:

I highly recommend GoLauncher EX, it duplicates LPP function for function (pretty sure they can match widgets if you grab those off the market). Except they added iOS-style folders and several other little enhancements. It's pretty much what LPP might be if Fede was still actually updating it. And it gets fairly regular updates.

It's really fast with one exception, some of the transition animations aren't very smooth depending on what widgets you have. If the animation requires it to "break" up a widget in some way to make it transition like icons would it can get a little choppy. Completely avoidable if you leave the stock sliding animation between screens and don't use the 3D transitions.

I've tried Go and I like a lot about it, but it always ran funky on my Dinc2. Go is a great launcher, though.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

bull3964 posted:

Google just introduced Google Currents out of the blue. It seem like RSS on steroids. Basically, more advanced layout and nagivation for articles on a website rather than just displaying the contents of a feed.

There are a bunch ready to go right now. You can also add RSS feeds to the app, they just are limited to what an RSS feed usually displays.

I absolutely didn't get this at first but having set it up, I love it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Splizwarf posted:

Seems like this is how 90% of Google projects work.

Hahahaha. True. I think I've actually said the same thing about a lot of their apps.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Geekner posted:

Are there any good replacements for the Sense calendar widget? Specifically the agenda view.

It sucks that you can't use sense widgets without the sense launcher.

If you're looking for Sense-style widgets, GOLauncher has a calendar widget that mimics it, as does Android Pro Widgets, LauncherProPlus, and Colorize Widgets.

I'd recommend Android Pro Widgets myself.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Easy Mac posted:

What do you guys think of WidgetLocker? I keep reading it will drain your battery and slow your phone down but those are comments from the market, so who knows. So anyone use it and see their battery time go down noticeably?

When it works it's great, but it's finicky as gently caress. I had a ton of problems with it on my Sense phone and still had some issues on CM7. Now that's I've got it working right I love it but I won't lie; getting it to that point was a bitch.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

AlexMoron posted:

Today's $0.10 Apps (Day 5):

I can't find the last one. Will edit this list if/when I do. Given the current trend, I'm sure it's some kids thing.

Edit: Yup.

Goddammit I had just bought Snowfall a few days before the 10-day sale was announced! :argh:

It's a pretty cool and season-appropriate live wallpaper, if anyone is wondering.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Re: Google Music, is there a way to 'pin' a single song for offline play? I seem to only have an option to pin the whole album.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So what's everyone's favorite browser at the moment? I'm using Opera Mobile and I like it for the most part but there's a handful of quirks about it that bother me.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Pipski posted:

Can I get some recommendations, to save me sifting through all the available possiblities? I need a decent music player, and I'd like it to have a widget with a transparent background option. In fact, is there anything that allows you to edit widgets so you can make them all transparent?

Also, I need a Twitter client that will allow me to switch between different accounts, rather than bundling the feeds from all of them together into one timeline. I like Plume, and I really liked the simplicity of Twicca, but I couldn't figure out how to get either of them to do that.

PowerAmp and Ubermusic are both good. Ubermusic definitely has a transparent skin.

There's also Pure Music Widget which is not a player, but a collection of skinnable widgets that work with most music players.

All of these options are pay-for, though.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm using widget locker with the ICS theme, but I'd love for some way to control Google Music from the lock screen. Is there any way to do that? I tried Phantom Music controller and a couple other popular music widgets and none of them work well, or they FC widget locker or the player.

Why not Google Music's widget?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Codiusprime posted:

The stock Google Music widget is indeed awful, I kind of gave them a pass when it was in Beta but seriously google. What the gently caress.

That's why I want them to open up the apis so someone can actually make a decent widget.

FWIW, Pure Music Widget works with Google Music, but it can't load the album art if you're using a widget size that would normally show art.

I'm using Phantom Widget(paid) with Google Music currently and it works most of the time.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So how is Google Music treating everyone's battery? I like the service/app but it seems to really be chewing my battery up. I have about a half-hour commute and Music seems to be eating almost 10% of battery life in that time. My signal is usually good save for one 5-minute stretch where it can get dicey.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any recommendations for a better keyboard than the stock one?

I'm a fan of Smart Keyboard Pro. Swiftkey X isn't bad but I had a problem with the spacing of the keys.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Suggestions for a podcast app? One with a widget.

Listen sucks and has no widget. BeyondPod is a a mess. I don't listen to podcasts often enough to justify paying for Doggcatcher.

I am a picky bitch.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Goddamit, Swype. I reinstalled it yesterday on a whim to see if they fixed some of my problems with it, and they did. My one complaint left was that the space bar was kind of small which sucks for when I DO need to tap-type. I can adapt though.

Then right after I install they update and...the space bar is even SMALLER. gently caress dedicated smiley keys.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ManMythLegend posted:

Using Beautiful Widgets, is there a way to bring up the settings/options menu for a widget other then to drag a new one onto the home screen?

I ask, because every time I try to use the "today's date 2x1" widget it just dumps onto the screen without giving me the chance to change its transparency or font color.

There is a setting in BW to make the numbers in the clock take you to BW settings as well, so if you use the clock that's another way to do it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Splizwarf posted:

Since we have some keyboard chat going: is there any keyboard out there yet that lets you just design your own layout yet? It's a zany idea, I know, but we've been able to do that with computers since, uh, the beginning I guess. It seems bizarre that there's still no way to do it in Android.

Thumb Keyboard, sort-of. You can choose the layout (standard, split-keyboard, compact) and you can edit stuff like the width/height of the keys or what long-pressing each key does. But if you're talking about complete customization, like putting the Q in the upper right corner or something, I don't know of anything like that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Two things:

Speaking of Google Music, I'm at my wits end with it. I used it without issue for a while, then moved back to local SD music with another app, and now I'm back to Google Music. The problem is that now it decimates my battery. Regardless of whether it's streaming or playing local cached music it easily eats about 15-20% of my battery on the short half-hour commute. Other streaming apps I use, like Shoutcast players, stream on the same ride without half the impact.

Also, is Tasker pretty stable for folks? I've been using Setting Profiles forever but lately it's become super unreliable. It randomly toggles profiles or doesn't completely turn on/off features when the profiles do switch.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Ciabatta posted:

There may be something funny going on with your app or phone to get that kind of battery drain. I was pleasantly surprised at how little battery mine takes while playing local content, like ~5-10% per hour. This is on ICS, though, which may make a difference. I have no idea what kind fix or setting you could change though :(

Yeah, I have no idea. I've uninstalled, re-installed. I've wiped the cache. There's just something going on that's causing the app itself to go nuts.

If it was just a signal/streaming issue I could live with it but since it's happening with offline stuff as well it's killing the usefulness of the app for me.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

falz posted:

There was an app posted in here a few months back. It was an android app that would give you a web interface that you could connect to from a browser on the same LAN that you could copy files and media to/from your phone. My searches are coming up blank, does anyone remember what it was?

AirDroid.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Is there a good automation app that's somewhere between Setting Profiles and Tasker in terms of complexity? SP is lacking a few context options I need but Tasker is way to entailed for the two or three little tasks I need to happen.

If SP simply had a orientation sensor for left side/right side I'd probably be able to get away with that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Question about the Google+ app:

I'm running stock ICS on my rooted Droid Incredible 2 and when I view an Event or something with multiple comments the comments show up in full. Meanwhile my two friends both have Droids (2 and 3 respectively) running whatever version of Gingerbread and when they look at comments on G+, the comment "cards" don't show the whole thing. Further, I can't find a way to expand the cards to see the rest of the post. Am I missing something?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Can anyone recommend a good system monitor widget? Something to quickly see stuff like cpu speed, ram usage, battery level, etc. If it's skinnable or at least able to have a transparent background, that's a plug.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

gucci mangosteen posted:

Elixir 2 Widgets looks nice, I'm not sure if the icons are skinnable but it does have different backgrounds whose transparency levels you can change. It's also really customizable, and you can add toggles and app shortcuts in alongside your system info. I just installed it as a stand-alone, I didn't need all the other stuff the main Elixir 2 app does but it offers some expanded functionality.

:stare:

Wow, that's perfect. Thanks, can't believe I didn't come across that in all my searching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The actual chat interface, specifically.

Yeah, I agree. It's not like it's unusable or anything but in an ICS/JB world the interface looks outdated.

• Locked thread