Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Codiusprime posted:

So, I've asked a couple of times but is the LP rewrite pretty much dead at this point? It was my favorite launcher back in the day but it just isn't what it used to be.

LauncherPro is still working for me. I'm sticking to it unless another launcher will allow me to clone over my icon layouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Android specifically prohibits this.

How is that possible? I don't use any widgets, just icons.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Syrinxx posted:

Whenever I'm setting up GoLauncher it offers to copy the layout from other launchers. You can also use Desk Migrate

Thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

Neither. v:v:v

Seriously, Zinio is loving terrible; service provider-bundled crapware, a good example of the bloating everyone complains about.

How is it bloat, it's a magazine store. And you can uninstall it to reclaim the 3 megabtyes on your 16 gb device

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WienerDog posted:

Uhhh, yea? A marketplace should be no more then a website with .apk files on it to download. If you install an .apk and remove your file browser, should that app stop working?

How can you not know that apps are tied to accounts? Ever notice what happens if you hack your phone to remove your google account?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Removing the Amazon Appstore also removes your Amazon account. If you ever manage to remove your google account from the phone before uninstalling the associated apps, they stop working if they're paid apps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

No suggestion here but always wondered why cell phones can't get the name from cid like a landline? they've been able to for probably close to 20 years now.

Cell providers don't pass the CID info besides the number to your phone usually.

Apparently, it would cost them like 0.0001 cents per call to do this and they decide to cheap out and only show the number.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kyrosiris posted:

This may be a silly question, but is there anything like Remote Desktop/VNC/LogMeIn for phones that I can have my mom install on her new phone so I can help her with remote troubleshooting? It's a lot easier to help that way than trying to get her to read out error messages and what have you to me. :shobon:

If she's rooted there are VNC server apps like Droid VNC Server.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Urfdser posted:

I was having a problem where I would go to the market and My Apps would show about 15 apps. So nothing on my phone was getting updated. I finally figured out that its because I have 2 Google accounts and 1 Gapps account and the market magically linked itself to the wrong one.

So I switched it back, performed about 5000 updates. But now I'm stuck with 15 apps on the wrong account. Is there an easy way to move them? Or is it just uninstall/reinstall or just remember to switch Market accounts to do updates every now and then? If the market is supposed to do updates for all accounts it certainly wasn't.

Edit:

Thanks. I figured as much. I actually had the new market downloaded from a link earlier in the thread. I just installed it.

I you have a rooted phone, removing all but one Google account and then running Market Doctor in Titanium Backup will force the market to list all your apps on that one account.

big mean giraffe posted:

How does this work? GB and below are incapable of running Honeycomb features.

He probably means it uses a different layout, not that it uses specifically the fragments api or other Honeycomb-exclusives.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nimper posted:

Is the News and Weather widget included? You can tell that one to update your location automatically.

Is there any way to get the default News and Weather widget to automatically update the weather/news? I mean I set it to update every hour, but what that ends up meaning is it shows the same headlines and weather until I actually tap it to open, and if it's been over an hour then I have to wait while it finally updates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

250MB per song? This must be a typo, right?

No. Your songs are allowed to be as big as 250 MB, this covers things like continuous dj sets and the like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fudsak posted:

Careful, I think Amazon needs to run and phone home once a day in order to use its apps.

I don't believe this is true, during a recent multi-day power outage I had, I had disabled data use (and of course had no wifi) in order to save battery for calls - so the Amazon app store had no way to phone home to Amazon for 2 days. My Amazon paid apps still worked if I loaded them up for a quick game though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Any thoughts on whether the nook app or the kindle app is better than another? Trying to decide which store to go with ...

Amazon is usually cheaper and usually has a better selection. I wouldn't even bother with nook.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manky posted:

Is there any difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile besides the name and the install size?

Opera Mini runs everything through Opera's servers to reformat them, and runs on most lovely featurephones as well as smartphones. Opera Mobile is a full browser that doesn't rely on Opera's servers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm perpetually low on space on my OG Droid. Are Google Goggles and Google Music system apps that can't be messed with, or is it safe to back them up with Titanium Backup and then nuke them?

You shouldn't need to use anything special for Goggles, it should just be a regular app that you can install/uninstall.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Google Music does seem to live in /system/app, which makes me nervous. Thanks for the waste of space, Google!

If it lives in /system/, it isn't taking up space from the main app storage area. You'd need to both remove the app and repartition the phone to get app space by deleting system apps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Some of the games were worth getting for free. Too bad a lot of them I had already purchased months ago. Splashtop looked interesting and I grabbed that. Is that the thing that was on sale for 10 cents last week? It is pretty interesting but limited to 1024x768 looks like. Is there a better remote desktop client for android?

Splashtop HD handles all higher reses and is designed for Honeycomb and up (iirc, it might support gingerbread).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII, I'm wondering, is the Samsung App market... legal? The thing came with the phone, and it has a lot of games freely available that cost money in the Android market.

Samsung paid for you to have those apps for free, since you bought the phone from them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lelandjs posted:

Is there any way to emulate the home button with a Bluetooth keyboard? The escape key works as a back button most of the time.

Try pressing the Windows key.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah repartitioning the phone can be helpful. When I had a Desire, I used a partition table off this http://alpharev.nl/ which took me from /system =250MB /cache=40MB /data=147MB to /system=130MB /cache=5MB /data=302MB while using CM7, although that particular table appears to have been removed form the site. It gave me plenty of app space without needing to set up A2SD stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

big mean giraffe posted:

How is 302mb plenty of app space? Repartitioning your phone's file system is a lot more risky and likely to brick something than flashing an app2sd solution.

It was for me, in conjunction with android-standard "move to SD". I was also never able to get A2SD working properly on my phone, but changing the partition table at the same time I upgraded from CM 6.1 to CM 7 was actually very easy.

I don't have the phone anymore,having gotten an Inspire for myself and passing the Desire down to my little brother, who's not had issues with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not seeing much of a difference, honestly

They're not using the menu button anymore. Like you know how there's a menu button on your phone? It's not gonna be used.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cardiovorax posted:

So I've got that button? Google says I can't use it anymore, in the future. Thanks a bunch, I guess. Huge difference to just deciding it'S the ACTION BUTTON now.

No, there is no button.

Have you used Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich? Instead of having physical or capacitive buttons you have a bar on the screen with buttons, and the Menu button icon only shows upon apps meant for older versions. Otherwise it doesn't exist at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Glimm posted:

I think he's saying he has the button (the hardware button) on his current phone and is displeased that it will no longer have a use.

It will still work in old apps. And he seems to think it's being renamed to "action button" when that's not even close to reality.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MentosMan posted:

Anyone know if a "GPS calibration" app? I don't even know if this would be the correct route of fixing this, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy I off eBay, and its fantastic, except the GPS can never pinpoint me within half a mile radius, and it has a real hard time following me if I'm moving in a car.

Really annoying.

There is no fix for the Galaxy S GPS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bulging Nipples posted:

This is a really lame question, but I'm on an old rear end mac (10.4) and I can't connect at all to my new droid incredible 2. Is there any way short of updating my OSX (im broke) to get music onto my phone?

Check that you have the right USB connection setting

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Books get updates?!

I've gotten updates to books on the Kindle store before, generally just better proofreading and such.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thoom posted:

Except by, y'know, trying all 9 possible starting places in both directions.

Can't you make your pattern hit the same place multiple times in a pattern? That would make the necessary search space much larger.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I have a network printer accessible via Wifi. Is there any way to print things on it from Android?

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamixsoftware.printershare&hl=en

You need the paid version for most of the features, I believe it was an Amazon app of the day once, but the paid version has worked great with the wifi/network share printers i've used (HP and Canon).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

The reason I ask is because it's not an Apple thing.

They actually made an otterbox for the one guy who ever bought a Dell phone?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Anyone know of a good radar application? By radar I of course mean weather radars, not the highway patrol type

I like the one in the WeatherBug app.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
How can I get the Play Market to stop finding apps I only paid for through Amazon App Store and bugging me to update them? Similarly, how can I get Amazon App Store to quit bugging me to update apps that I already had from Google Play?

For example, right now I have Angry Birds Rio that I got on the Amazon App Store, because it was originally the only place with the ad-free version for sale. However, Google Play Market is now detecting it and bugging me to update it - and can't get it to just ignore it exists and let Amazon handle it. I also had Documents-to-go come with my tablet but had it purchased on Amazon App Store for my phone, so on my tablet Amazon keeps bugging me to update it through them.

I'm having these problems on both my phone and my tablet. My phone is rooted so a solution that needs that will work there, but my tablet isn't so I can't use a fix that requires root there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought the play store did special checks now so that non-market apps wouldn't show up? I certainly haven't had any non-market apps show up in a long time. Are you sure you're on the newest Play Store?

Yes on both devices. In fact, it only started happening about 2 or 3 weeks ago

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thoom posted:

Flash is going away forever very soon.

Yeah, no, that's about as likely as VRML suddenly catching on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thoom posted:

Adobe is dropping support and pulling it from the market in a little over a month. Flash on Android is dead.

You said Flash, just Flash. And it's supposedly been going to be pulled forever for the past couple months yet still hasn't been.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Taffer posted:

Stop going to those sites and/or complain. They'll never put work into keeping things up to date if everyone just goes along with it.

No, gently caress that. I'm not going to inconvenience myself in the name of some kind of ~web standards~ purity.

Flash actually works perfectly fine and HTML5 stuff usually doesn't.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Taffer posted:

Yes. Weatherbug is pretty insane how feature-complete it is, everything from radar to humidity to pollen and hourly forcasts etc.

The only thing that I don't like about it, as someone else mentioned, is that it's not the prettiest app out there. The widget is kinda ugly and so is the app itself. I'm fairly sure all their data is pulled straight from NOAA, so if there was another app that had the same info and accuracy while looking better, I'd totally get it.

It's NOAA data supplemented by additional data from personal weather stations in your area. For instance, a local elementary school a few blocks from my house runs one; so I get better info on my area then the nearest official weather station which is at an airport a couple of miles away.

Also TBH I don't find the app particularly ugly nor the widget - I do use a plain black background on my homescreens so maybe the widget looks worse against pictures or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I'm curious why some people use Swiftkey over Swype.

I don't like the way Swype handles suggestions.

Also stuff like this is nice to have:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nask26 posted:

Do you guys have issues with certain words with SwiftKey? Like I have a server and every time I type in its address it completely screws it up and the only way to type it in is to switch to the built in keyboard. Anything with a period in it seems to make it go nuts. Like if I type in samplex.us.to using swiftkey it just wont do it.

Try longpressing on the complete address, it should let you add it as a "word".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Your phone company can already track you very well, especially if you stay in the same place for an extended time period.

• Locked thread