Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is there a thread favourite for a replacement messaging app? The stock ICS one has been crashing like crazy.

I use GO SMS Pro and have never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm using tasker for my alarm, it open my streaming radio app in the morning.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Sir Chicken Caesar posted:

Thanks Splizwarf! I was heavily inspired by the rash of viral videos a year or so ago of various people recording their inevitable aging. I'm hoping to capture the market in narcissistic Android owners who want to do the same ;)

My friend just became a father, I think he'll love this.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

What do you guys use for a calendar widget? I don't like having to open the calendar app just to view the events for a particular day. The best I've used is the GO calendar widget but I'm not using the GO launcher anymore.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

DoggCatcher and BeyondPod have free trials so I recommend checking them out at least. I definitely appreciate DoggCatcher's widget and lock-screen controls. It does seem to take longer to update feeds than it should.

I can't find a trial for doggcatcher

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Personally I can't stand Pocket Casts and it's lack of features, but the lite version of BeyondPod is only a 7 day trial. You should probably try Acast. It's similar to BeyondPod but it's free.

What features is pocket casts lacking?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

My folks have just started using my old phone, any recommendations for a widget to toggle Wifi / 3g? The one that comes with sense doesn't have a data toggle (froyo btw)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Are there any apps for saving videos from youtube? I'd like to download them on Wifi for watching later.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Evil Vin posted:

Tubemate. You either have to download it from the Amazon App Store or find the .apk online since it's been taken down from the regular store.

Thanks, this works great.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Tunga posted:

This isn't exactly possible without a framework modification. It might be possible to have an app that registers itself as a launcher and just does nothing when you hit home, but I don't know that such a thing exists.

drat, this drives me crazy too: the home key is right below the space bar and I keep hitting the side keys by mistake when changing orientation :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

dynodash posted:

What's a good app for listening to podcasts? I want to download them at home so I can then listen to them at work the following day. Free or paid, don't mind, whatever's best.

I use pocket casts for this exact purpose: new episodes are downloaded when available and I'm on Wifi so I can listen to them any time.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone else using GoSMS on ICS? None of my contacts pictures are loading :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Good god those youtube ads are annoying, I get them on almost every second video :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Since there are apps for pretty much everything, my phone has allowed me to become complacent and lazy. I can have it automatically update itself because I can't be bothered to check for updates myself, and I can have it mute all sounds when I get to work because it's too much effort to do it myself. This is wonderful.

I've come to the realization that looking at weather forecasts is a hassle, is there an app or widget whereby I can set up notifications if certain criteria are met? For example, I'd like to be alerted if it's going to rain tomorrow afternoon, or if it's going to be particularly cold one evening?

Does such a thing exist, or will I have to look at the forecast on my home screen if I want to anticipate future meteorological events like some sort of caveman?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

torjus posted:

You can do this with a combination of If This Then That and Pushover.

Good God, where has IFTTT been all my life? From the looks of it the possibilities are incredible. I've set it up to email me weather alerts, which should put them in my notification bar. If I end up using this a lot I'll look into using pushover as well.

EDIT Just got my first alert so :) it works but :( it's gonna rain tomorrow

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 24, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

It's a good thing I uninstalled apex this morning because I wasn't using it :ohdear:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

This is a very nicely designed app. Quite refreshing when compared to the ugliness of many other android apps.

Doesn't seem like there's any points of interest in the UK, I don't even see an install button :smith:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I grabbed Nova in the sale but sometimes when I exit an app it'll go back to Sense. Anyone else have this problem?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Odette posted:

Yup, right at the bottom of 'Nova Settings' is 'Select Default Home'

Hopefully that'll do it.

I set that but Sense still manages to sneak in sometimes :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

QPZIL posted:

I've been trying to use GoodNews as a podcast listener, and I'm having some issues with it. What else are people using? I know podcast app opinions change like the wind, so I'm curious what's "hot" right now. I tried BeyondPod, and I'm not a fan of that.

Is there one that will show me what's new for all feeds, i.e. a "new stories from all feeds" list, as opposed to just showing me a list of my feeds that I have to go into and see what's new?

I swear by pocket casts, it can sync with Google Reader and has it's own search engine.

In the library view you can view a list of episodes for all podcasts, ordered by most recent.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Can anybody recommend any todo list apps/widgets? Ideally I'd like to have a list of tasks on one of my home screens and be able to do add/remove tasks without having to launch an app.

I've tried Wunderlist but it only shows tasks due today instead of all tasks. The Tasks app/widget is a little too basic for me but works.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've decided to go with GTasks.

I've recently started using the twitter app and I can't for the life of me work out how to search and view tweets for a specific keyword, preferably with live updates. All I can seem to do is view my own tweets and those of whom I'm following. Seems like a pretty big omission of a fundamental usage of twitter to me :confused:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Evil Vin posted:

I know this is from a page back, but does Pocket Casts actually sync or does it just take what's there originally and that's it? I'd rather syncing if I'm picking up something new.

Do you mean sync with Google reader? I don't think so: I ended up removing things from my listen subscriptions because they would appear there and in pocket casts.
TBH, I don't even use Google reader for podcast management anymore because pocket casts handles it all.

If you mean sync new episodes, yeah you can configure how often it checks for new episodes, how many it downloads and stores, and whether to use wifi only or not.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

In beyondpod, is there a way to view unfinished AND unplayed episodes? I would like to view a list of downloaded episodes, sorted by date, excluding those I have already listened to.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In the feeds window, click on the number of episodes on the right. That should show you what you want. If you long press it, it'll start playing a playlist out of them.

That's only the episodes for that feed though, isn't the a way to filter the episodes window? It seems like I have to view every episode or none.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

What do you guys use for daily reminders? I was thinking of using the calendar but I don't want 'Make lunch for work tomorrow' to appear on my agenda every day. I'm on ICS btw.

Can I use tasker for this?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does anyone else using unified remote always have the connection drop after a while? I have it set to keep-alive but even so after time it will completely stop responding unless I restart the server, kinda negating the point of having a remote.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Can anyone recommend an audiobook player? Ideally I'd like to be able to automatically stop at the end of a chapter if I'm listening at night.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It makes for a pretty widgetbackground :unsmith:

You can use it with widget locker. HTC seems to have abandoned me on 4.1.2 so this is the closest I can get to dash clock. Can't wait to have to buy a brand new phone just to get an OS up grade :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Spekkio posted:

Chrome's swipe-from-the-side to view other tabs has been changed to swipe-on-the-address-bar.

Doesn't look like there's any way to bring back the old functionality. Is it possible to uninstall Chrome and somehow install an older APK? If yes, where could I get it from?

I hated this 'feature'. Always I'd be panning a zoomed in page and accidentally switch tabs.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, does Timely not let you select your own music to use as an alarm?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Viral does it in a far less ugly package.

This looks great, I can't believe the stock youtube app doesn't have all these features.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Any suggestions for an interval timer? I'm specifically looking for something that would count down intervals of 30 seconds with a 5 second pause in between.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

To the surprise of no one, My Interval Timer Pro does this and is free. I use it for tracking rest periods and timed exercises in the gym.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Do any of these banking/budget apps work in the UK?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does pocketcasts not support playlists or am I missing something :confused:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Cruseydr posted:

The easiest thing for PocketCasts to do is smart playlists, which can be useful but probably not for what you're looking for. If you want a manual playlist, go to a list of episodes (either a smart playlist, or a podcast list) and long press on the episode. Then there will be an icon in the action bar that looks like a plus on a card, which will let you manually add it to a normal playlist. To start you have to create a new playlist, but then after that any other episodes will let you choose that existing list.

A bonus of this type of list is that you can manually sort it too.

e: I only just figured this out after too much messing around with it, and I was almost convinced it wasn't possible too.

Sounds like a bit more effort than was I was expecting. I like that beyondpod automatically starts a playlist so I can just add episodes from multiple feeds and start playing. I just wish they'd update the beyondpod UI because for all its great features it's still butt-ugly.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

How does it compare to beyondpod?

I finally switched back to pocketcasts from beyondpod as they finally added the ability to add podcasts to an 'Up next' playlist after the current playing episode.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Is it true the Out of Milk dev is a goon? I just bought pro to display my shopping list as a widget but not only is it blank (despite being able to view the list in the app) the add button doesn't work.

Edit: the support site says you can't check items off the list with the widget anyway. That's kinda useless, if true.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm left handed so when holding my Moto G in my left hand it's more comfortable and natural to swipe with my thumb from right to left. Unfortunately this gesture declines phone calls rather than answering them. This is really annoying since I can use the same gesture to unlock the phone so I'm used to doing it but it means I keep hanging up when I get a call. Is there a solution to this?

• Locked thread