Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a single-icon sized widget out there than can display how many unread emails I have? I have the status bar disabled on my widgetlocker screen, so I'd like to put something on my lock screen so I can see if I have new emails without unlocking the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
GoSMS seems to have become really slow/bloated of late. Also it sends you annoying text messages pestering you to buy premium features.

What's the best text messaging app out there these days?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gucci mangosteen posted:

I was looking at some of the messaging apps you guys were talking about and found Pansi SMS, it's pretty nice so far. It's really similar to Go SMS (I suspect they've outright copied a lot of their UI and feature set from Go) but they leave out all the bloat and premium garbage.

How skinnable is it? If I can at least customize colors and such I might take it for a ride. GoSMS has become painfully slow for me, but I like to be able to adjust the theme to match however I have my launcher skinned up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I know that Androids can receive FM signals, but has anyone worked out an app to broadcast them, such as to play music in my car via FM without buying an external FM tuner for it? My wife's aux-in jack is broken and only drives one speaker currently, so it would be pretty sweet if my phone could just crank out jams to her car radio.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

UnbornApple posted:

You would need a phone that has an actual FM transmitter built in. I don't even know if any exist. Just pick up an FM transmitter that supports a normal RCA mini-jack.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if any of the antennas already in the phone (voice, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc) were capable of transmitting FM or not.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

Does anyone have a good folder widget recommendation? I've been using SiMi for quite some time because it lets me make the folder widget icons large, but it doesn't do well being restored by Titanium Backup or if apps are uninstalled. I've tried folder organizer as well, but can't make the icons large.

I use ADW.launcher's feature that lets you make app drawer categories, then make shortcuts to my custom draws on my desktop.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Android Pro Widgets.

If this weren't sent via my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean, I'd have provided a link.

APW caused lots of hangs and force closes for me. I have yet to find any way to usably interact with facebook on my phone, since the official app is a flaming pile of dumpster babies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zero VGS posted:

Is there such a thing as a camcorder app that can run in the background? It would be nice to mount my phone to the dashboard to be a GPS and dashcam at the same time.

Nothing that isn't clearly intended for skeevier purposes than you have in mind, sadly. I went looking for something similar to try to catch someone who was stealing snacks from my desk and I didn't feel comfortable installing anything I found on my phone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

I believe iTunes does this properly but as far as I know they're the only ones. I find it infuriating that despite having completely accurate metadata that Android sometimes just decides that it isn't. One album becomes two, some album art isn't there, sometime whole tracks disappear. All at random too.

I guess it's more a chicken and egg problem in that there's a lot of bad metadata so let's make a player that ignores metadata which means there's no incentive to correct the metadata which leads to a lot of bad metadata.

No, iTunes doesn't use the Album Artist tag properly either. If you try to sort by Album Artist it turns into Album by Artist and everything ends up ordered by the artist tag on the song anyway, but chunked into separate albums (So, for example, a typical hip-hop album becomes 3 different albums because of varying guest producers and vocalists).

Additionally, the iPod doesn't support the Album Artist tag either. It's not even present in the menu. My workaround has been to duplicate the Album Artist tag in the Composer tag (which I don't care about because the composer is almost always either just the artist's given name, or some studio guy I don't give two fucks about) when I tag my music, but I haven't found a player on Android that'll use that tag either :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a rundown of the coolest-looking widgets out there? I installed Tweetdeck because it's less lovely than the Facebook or Twitter apps, but god are its widgets lovely-looking. I need more widgets to fill my homescreens, I am and addict, I need delicious widget crack. I am rooted running CM10, so if there's root-only stuff out there I can use that too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MrC posted:

Android Pro Widgets seems to be everyone's favorite.

Had those one my old phone. They just seemed prone to crashing and taking the launcher with them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm having a weird bug with Gensoid (my sega genesis emulator). I can only play it once without rebooting the phone. If I try to open a game in it after already having opened it once, the application freezes. Force stopping it doesn't clear it up, only a full reboot of the phone. Where do I start troubleshooting, or is there an alternative emulator?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a calendar app that will let me place an event on two calendars at once? I want to add events to my work exchange calendar and my Google calendar at the same time. This way people don't schedule meetings with me while I'm at the dentist or something, but I can also see my appointments at home from outlook.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a mail client out there that deals with Exchange better than the stock email app? Flagging messages for followup and working with calendar requests are both clunky in the stock mail app.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

The new Beautiful Widgets update is, well, beautiful. New version of the best live wallpaper too!

It got rid of the Beautiful Home Weather widget. Now I can't use my favorite skin (Curved). What the gently caress. How do I downgrade back to the last version?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Use Titanium. If you're not rooted there's no going back.

Fortunately I am.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't understand why they killed the legacy widgets in this release. They help onto the beautiful Home Weather widget for ages after they moved to the Superclock. They're basically insuring that 2/3 of their userbase are pissed off when their favorite skin isn't available on the new widget and they have no way to go back.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

This. Plus when they moved to the Superclock the skins got updated quickly and I expect the same this time around. Additionally there's a new option for sideloading skins under Advanced options so actually things might get even nicer. Really though what they need to do is get to allowing different widget formats somehow. It doesn't have to be UCCW/Zooper-levels of spergy tweaking, but the standard layout is looking quite stale these days (and so is Sense which it apes as evidenced by HTC's sales).

Whoever made these skins I'm using hasn't updated them since he created them. They look like they'd work fine with the new widget, but when I put them into the folder that holds the skins and then try to select them, it says the skin is corrupted.

Does anybody know how I can update a skin so it works with the new widget? They're these, if that matters:
http://pucuck.wordpress.com/downloads/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't appear that the skin creator and skin development tool on the LevelUp site have been updated yet but that would be the first place I'd look.

In the meantime maybe it's time to try something new?

I flipped through the whole list of available skins, but most of them were very ugly to me. Personal taste and all that. If I'm going to have to look at it every time I unlock my phone, I want to love it, even if that means using an old version of beautiful widgets.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The swiping definitely has a way to go, but it's still pretty good sheerly because I can go back to two-handed Swiftkeying without switching keyboards. This means I can type long messages two-handed or swipe out a quick "love you" with one hand with the same keyboard. That owns.

If you guys are posting your feedback on their forums, it should only get better. After all, swiftkey is practically psychic so they clearly care about their product and work hard on it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Are there any free mail apps out there that will handle Exchange account security within the app?

My IT department told me that if I used Touchdown I could access my corporate email without Exchange asking for device admin privileges, but I don't want to pay for an email app. The only reason I even care is because the exchange server disabled face unlock on my phone and Exchange has no option to allow face unlock.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My phone is suddenly making GBS threads itself and refusing to find half the music I have on it. At first I could select it in poweramp/play music/apollo and get a message saying that it couldn't play, but then it disappeared from the library completely and rescanning doesn't add it back. Clearing data for all of the music apps and restarting the phone didn't work either.

Quoting myself from the Phone thread, because nobody has offered any suggestions there.

It's only the finding media files part that is confusing my phone. Everything else works fine, so there's got to be some kind of corruption going on with the library. I just don't know how to troubleshoot it.

fake edit: Actually, I just plugged my phone into my PC to see if I could play the files on the PC, and it looks like all of the songs that aren't working have mysteriously become 0 bytes. What the hell could cause that? They played fine last week, so something must have hosed them up and I need to be sure that it's not going to start randomly corrupting other files too.

real edit: It's even worse than I thought. Many of the folders (which had hundreds of mp3s in them) are now mysteriously empty. Something on my phone randomly deleted a huge pile of media files. And it's not just isolated to my music files. A whole boatload of my external SD card are also 0 bytes.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 28, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rolleyes posted:

If you find the Media Storage app (you'll have to look in the "All" list rather than the "Downloaded" list) and clear its data then you'll force a library rebuild - however, this will cause various other undesirable side effects like your ringtones and alert sounds being reset, etc.

However, if your media files have been truncated to 0 bytes then I doubt the library is your problem and I, like you, aren't really sure what the hell has gone on there.

Yeah, I already clear datad that too. There's something weirder at work here. Files missing, files changed to 0 bytes, it's loving weird. Just on the external SD though.

I'm going to shut this off and remove/reinsert the SD card, just for troubleshooting sake. I haven't dropped or jostled the phone at all, but maybe it's not seated right for some reason.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, I already clear datad that too. There's something weirder at work here. Files missing, files changed to 0 bytes, it's loving weird. Just on the external SD though.

I'm going to shut this off and remove/reinsert the SD card, just for troubleshooting sake. I haven't dropped or jostled the phone at all, but maybe it's not seated right for some reason.

Reseating the SD did nothing. As far as I can tell, only photos, videos, and music are affected, so it's only poo poo that would be affected by a media-parsing app like the gallery or music player.

For some reason some files are totally fine, while others are totally hosed. There's no pattern as far as I can tell, except that it's folder-by-folder, so either a folder is totally hosed or completely OK.

Fortunately I have a complete backup of this SD card, but I'd like to figure out what the hell caused this before I waste my time copying it back across again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rolleyes posted:

Best guess: some sort of conflict between apps competing for access to the same data. What that might be or how it could result in file truncation beats me though.

edit:
Does the last modified date on the affected files offer any clues?

They're all last modified on 12/15 starting at 7:27 pm, but I have no real way of knowing what could have happened at that time to cause it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Zooper is so good. I know it's been said before but it really needs to be reiterated how pleasant to use it is. I'm so glad to have exactly the data I want without the data I don't without having to use Beautiful Widgets which just looks so dated now.

I tried to use Zooper a couple of weeks back, but it's just way too much of a time investment up front to get everything arranged the way you want. If there was a way to share configurations so I could start from someone else's template that I really like and just tweak it I would probably give it another go.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

It's either hampered or GLORIFIED by this. Personally, I don't think I've ever received an MMS I actually wanted to receive. Now I can just tell those people "haha, gently caress your MMS, why don't you join the 21st century and use email".

My carrier charges me data for emails, but not for MMS.

Also, if you're sending private photos (don't do this you twits), I suppose MMS results in fewer intermediate servers containing the data along the way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a decent Saturn or PSX Emulator? I wanna play Shining Force III and replay FF IX.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I could have sworn I saw a post related to this question only some ten pages back, but I can't, for the life of me, find it. Ever since I started paying to expand my family's internet plan so I could get a smartphone, my mom has been wreaking absolute havoc with her data usage. It never seemed to be a problem when she was using her own 2GB, she never used so much as one. Now at the end of every billing cycle she's been using 2.5-3GB without even knowing, which puts a hamper on the other three people who would kinda' like to use data, as well, and I prefer having a buffer in a pinch.

She uses a Samsung Stratosphere, which (I think) runs Gingerbread. It seems to automatically fall back on the 4G, and you have to connect to wi-fi manually. What programs can you recommend to help her keep her phone on wi-fi when possible (at home, work, etc.), make sure she doesn't have an excess of background data going on, and to alert/cap her if her usage goes crazy? She isn't the most computer savvy and won't willingly check and search to make sure of these things so the more simple and forthright, the better. Think like a homescreen widget that states it plainly.

Gingerbread should automatically connect to wifi networks that it's previously used. You might want to find out of the wifi at your mom's work requires some kind of authentication. She probably has no clue how to log into that poo poo, but once you've put the credentials in once it should reconnect automatically from then on.

Basically, you need to follow her around for a day and connect her manually to all the hotspots she's normally around, and then she will be good from there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gyshall posted:

Yeah stock 4.0+ Email is great! K-9 is also there. Touchdown looks like a piece of poo poo.

e: Also holy poo poo DashLock is quality. It needs a separate widget for the launcher so I can use it all the time, but what great work.

Touchdown might look like poo poo, but it's the only way I know of to keep your corporate office from mandating 16 character passwords and having remote wipe capabilities for your entire phone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spincube posted:

I was just browsing through the 4.2 Jellybean 'what's new' page, and this point caught my eye:

I can't seem to find this option anywhere in Play Music.

I wish it would let me select a song from my cloud storage for alarms. I'm always at home and connected to wifi when my alarm goes off, so why not be able to use a streaming song? Sometimes I'm tired of waking up to the poo poo I keep locally :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a cheaper and less ugly alternative to Touchdown if I want a mail app that will handle Exchange security settings within the app? My IT department advocated Touchdown to us if we don't want to give them remote wipe/administrator access to our phones, but Touchdown is crazy expensive and looks like hot garbage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a homescreen widget like Zooper that lets me edit the widget on my PC and then export the configuration to my phone? I want to like Zooper, but it's just way too much work to get anything the way you want it to look with a touchscreen interface. I want to use a mouse and keyboard.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dik-dik posted:

Are there any good workout tracking/planning apps you folks would recommend?

I haven't found anything that was easier to use than a small notebook and pen, to be honest, if it's weightlifting you're talking about. For running/biking, Runkeeper has been pretty easy to use.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'd like to set up the stock email app to stop syncing my Exchange email account outside of business hours. What's the best way to pull that off?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the kawaiiest posted:

Cerberus is giving away a free lifetime membership today with AppGratis. I think you can get it if you install directly from Play, but I'm not 100% sure. Here's AppGratis: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imediapp.appgratis

This app has been around in iOS for years and it's great. It's like Amazon's free app of the day thing but without the clunky app store. Apps update through Play and not through them so you can uninstall and keep the apps you got from it.

I've been meaning to get this for a while. A great opportunity for me!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Gmail updated so you can select items by tapping the picture to the left. It's much nicer and something I'd tried to do before because it was obvious and it didn't work. Google Search also updated and I guess it does TV stuff now?

Still no Select All option though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

myron cope posted:

Seriously this is all about the sponsored tweets or whatever? Can't they add that to the API and make 3rd party clients show them? Then this token bullshit wouldn't have to exist? Or is there more to it. Also I don't know what an "API" really does

API stands for Application Programming Interface. It's a set of program functions a piece of software makes publicly accessible so that third parties can interact with the program.

For Twitter, the API would include things like ways to request the user's account information, get tweets from the server, etc. Other examples of APIs would be things like Microsoft's DirectX, which enables software running on Windows to access the operating system's graphical rendering functions, or the Google Maps API, which enables developers to use map and positioning date from Maps in their own apps.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Heners_UK posted:

It's not mandatory but I still feel AirDroid is a bit overkill for me as most of its features are things other products do or I use so rarely that plugging the phone in is no big deal (you hear that world?! Plugging your phone in via usb isn't that big a deal!)

Actually, because of the stupid bullshit "media handling" current Androids do with USB connections, copying a bunch of files to your phone is way, way slower via USB than it is via AirDroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I want to be using G+ so bad, but I just can't get any adoption out of people I know. My mom's too old to learn how to transition off of Facebook (which she already barely understands), so my siblings stopped using their G+ accounts. My wife won't bother because her folks won't leave their precious Facebook slot machine games. My coworkers mostly don't have them because they foolishly use their corporate email accounts for personal communication. The very few other people I know who had G+ profiles stopped because they'd rather use Facebook + Twitter.

G+'s problem is that while it's technically better than Facebook, it doesn't have any features that are so radically better than Facebook that it would inspire a typical user to switch. Google constantly pushing services into being linked to G+ is just going to drive people like this over to iPhone.

If Google actually wants G+ to take over the world, they're going to have to buy Facebook outright.

• Locked thread