Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I just tried usb tethering with FoxFi and found it to work even better than I expected. I'm kind of confused about PdaNet+ and FoxFi, though. I ended up buying the key for FoxFi and it activates PdaNet+... but does it matter which app I use for usb tethering?

PdaNet+ mentions something about FoxFi being a part of of PdaNet+ now so I'm assuming I can uninstall FoxFi and stick with PdaNet+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

It's probably been asked half a million times by now, but what's the best (free) podcasting app among goons?

I've habitually used Stitcher, but I found its lack of ability to save 'hard copies' of podcasts for offline listening and only displaying ~6 entries unless I click More is kinda bothersome. The only thing going for it is that it immediately plays the next chronological entry when I play an older entry, which is great for falling asleep.

vvv I said free because I'm picky about apps and 15 minutes isn't enough time to gauge usability.

Just to throw another option out there, Podcast Addict has been great to me. Frequently updated and it's free. There's always the option to pay to get rid of banner ads but they aren't intrusive and don't affect the usability of the app.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Holy crap they finally did it. You have to grab it through the Amazon App but you can now watch Prime Streaming on any Android phone now.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Farchanter posted:

sorry it's a repeat, but thanks for the help!
Podcast Addict is excellent, as well.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

dik-dik posted:

Do any of these podcast apps allow you to manage/sync your podcasts with your computer (preferably OS X) or a web client of some sort?
I used to use https://player.fm/ and at the time all of your subscriptions were handled through the webpage and then reflected in the app. It's been over a year since I used it, though, so i'm not sure if that is how it works still.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

ShaneB posted:

Im currently using Podcast Addict to manage podcasts and it's fine. Are there superior podcast apps I should be using instead? And why? I really only listen to about 3 podcasts regularly.
I've tried pocket casts and a few others but I always go back to Podcast Addict. I think it's easily up there with the best.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't get recommended very often. I've been using it for about a year and it's got all the features I need, a mostly useful podcast search function, bookmarks your position, individual auto download toggles. It does have a pay to remove ad banner that appears only on the main screen. I can recommend seeing if podcast Addict is enough for you before paying for one.

I think I come in here about once a month and give a recommendation. People really like Pocket Casts and BeyondPod, though. Podcast Addict does everything I could ask for in that kind of app.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm not really sure where to ask this, but I guess it kind of fits in here.

I realized that I had a free trial to Play Music All Access since I own a chromecast, so about a month ago I decided to give that a shot. I like it a lot and wish I had hopped on back in the beginning with the 7.99 promo. Now, Youtube Music Key has launched and it has a similar promo. My trial with All Access won't end until mid-late January and it's supposed to start billing at 9.99.

Is there any way I could take advantage of the Music Key promo? I feel like maybe I could try to cancel my All Access subscription and then try to subscribe to Music Key but I don't know if that'll disqualify me from the promo.

It's just one of those questions that is difficult to google.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

krampster2 posted:

Which of the three podcast apps in the thread title will let me download podcasts while the app is minimised and add my own files? Used to have Downcast on ios and it didn't let me do either of those two things. Real annoying have to keep the app open to download poo poo particularly when your internet is slow as heck.
Pretty sure that you can add files in Podcast Addict as well.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Man, Pushbullet has to be my favorite free app now. They keep adding some really useful and well implemented features.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/8968945/pushbullet-android-windows-sms-app-update

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

f#a# posted:

Wallpapers
Watch out for device permissions when installing anything not listed here. This category has a high concentration of malware.
  • Tapet: procedural material design wallpapers.

Well, that was one of the quickest turnarounds from "try" to "in-app purchase" for me. I love supporting thoughtfully made stuff like this.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

monster on a stick posted:

HERE Maps, though it doesn't have Japan for reasons.
I spent a week driving around Iceland a month ago and HERE Maps was indispensable. The directions were great and no data ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I've been using messenger for about a year now (after using hangouts prior to that) for SMS.

How is hangouts these days? I'm on Project Fi now so I wasn't sure if I should head back to hangouts for voicemail/sms/dialing functionality. I do like the stock dialer, though.

• Locked thread