Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Frogmanv2 posted:

Are there any good text to speech apps floating round?
SVOX is hands down the best I've come across. I use the UK Victoria voice, because who doesn't want their phone to talk to them in a sexy British accent? Be warned, however: I saw numerous people complaining about problems with the latest update, so I've held off on upgrading. Might want to keep that 15 minute refund window in mind, or wait until they fix the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

nickhimself posted:

I can't use the Amazon Appstore anymore. By accident I found out that once you uninstall the appstore you're unable to launch any of the apps you've downloaded from it. It's like god drat DRM for a free app I only have because it was free. That's ridiculous.
This and their slow update process is why I haven't purchased anything from the Amazon app store. I download the free apps, but haven't installed/used any of them yet; They're there "just in case."

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

the posted:

So what's the best Google Reader app?
Feedly

It took me a little while to get used to it, but it's hands down the best RSS reader I've come across. Integrates seamlessly with Google Reader. I even started using their Chrome app after getting hooked on the Android version.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Aatrek posted:

Feedly looks pretty, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the pre-installed feeds. Any help?
As far as I can tell, you can't remove the "Essentials" category. But you can set it to show "Latest" every time you open the app, which will only show your RSS feeds. First option when you hit the menu key, manually type in "Latest". Then, it will only show the preinstalled RSS feeds when you specifically switch to that category.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Jensen posted:

I just hacked my GNex with the new 4.2 camera/keyboard.

The camera/gallery is WAY better. Smoother, faster, new modes... tons of polish. Photosphere is neat but has some poor stitching issues.
Really? I consider it quite good, all things considered.

http://i.imgur.com/Dc314.jpg

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Jensen posted:

I see pretty bad stitching errors on that one even - and I'm sure you cherry picked it as the best you had.

I've tried doing the inside of my living room many times and it refuses to generate a sphere that is really even passable. It probably can do better outdoors - the same colored walls don't give it much to line up on I suppose.
"Pretty bad" as compared to what?

Photography IS "cherry picking". You don't keep your bad shots. And I don't think panoramas were intended for taking pictures of one's living room.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 5, 2012

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
There was some discussion a few pages back about Photo Spheres and how "bad" the seaming was on them. If you're having trouble producing good looking Photo Spheres, I recommend setting your phone on a makeshift tripod. Here's mine:

https://plus.google.com/111364041641324386454/posts/1nh48zfgjKC

Yes, the dog's legs are missing. Dogs don't hold still for poo poo. Bear in mind also that these were taken with an HTC Rezound - technically not a supported phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
I'm anxious to compare Swiftkey Flow to the 4.2 keyboard. The latter has a few quirks but I've been happier with it than any keyboard so far.

• Locked thread