Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was under the impression that Jelly Bean devices (Nexus 7) come with Chrome stock, but devices updated from Ice Cream Sandwich will have both. For consistency/choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

Yes, but I leave mine off until it's needed as I don't want random apps using it to know where I am (in particular the less Facebook knows about my location the better imo).
Doesn't Android have a way to tell which apps can use locations and which can't?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It sounds like he is :confused:
He's using "Jelly Belly" not Google Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

I'm not sure I follow? Those codes can only be used once... Can they be used to set up the authenticator app in a way I'm not aware of?

If you're not changing ROMs on a daily basis, 10 on-use codes should last you awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Looks like Swiftkey called it good in 2010 and then fired their designer.
Considering the most popular Android devices also look like they are stuck in 2010, this is right in line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vyst posted:

Thanks for the Tasker suggestion. Works great for what I need.

Another app request - At a certain time of the day I'd like for a picture to pop up on my phone. Think like a calendar reminder but I'd like a picture from my gallery to be associated with it. It's the same picture. Without getting into too much detail it's a mental reminder for myself about something and it would be better reinforced with an image. Any ideas of an app like that?

In practice it would be like - At 11 AM, picture XYZ.jpg from my gallery overlays the screen with an associated notification tone that I have to close before I can use the phone again.

I kinda feel like Tasker can do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure that was a Touchwiz feature and stock(ish) Android won't do it because Google and Facebook had a slapfight about using data. There's probably an app that will do it for you, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I mean with no hardware buttons. I've encased the entire Note 4 in 3/16 inch molded and gasket-sealed polycarbonate with shock absorbers, a little thing I whipped up.

Phone is everything-proof, stylus works fine even though it's a centimeter from the actual screen, and I take calls with a bluetooth headset.

Edit: picked up a wireless charging kit too

It's cool that you made it "usable-proof" too!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Is there anyway I can sideload 5.0 on my note 2 or do I have to wait for modded custom roms?

You have to wait.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought the whole point of buying a phone with removable batteries is so you can carry a bandolier of batteries and laugh at all the iSheep tethered to the wall, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

For gently caress's sake it's three goddamn dollars
Whoa whoa whoa, three WHOLE dollars for something he will use literally every day? That's highway robbery if you ask me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malsgrein posted:

Basically a clone. My GF just got a Galaxy Alpha but would like it to look and feel like an iPhone.
Returning it and buying an iPhone would meet her needs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilifinicus posted:

Negative. Any phone may connect, but you agree that by wanting to use your corporate e-mail account on your device you abide by security stuff like that. The ability to remote wipe your phone through OWA should you lose it is a convenience, not a hassle.
Positive. You are giving control of your phone to your company. If you *need* your email on your phone, they should be buying you a phone, paying for your service, or both.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Only Hangouts supports Hangouts messages but if you use XMPP (the old Talk protocol) you can use whatever client you want for that. It's certainly not worth trying to do but if you're a masochist I suppose it's a particularly kinky route to take.
Messages on my Mac suddenly re-enabled it since I had put it in ummmm iMessage? or whatever it used to be years ago. I was really surprised to get a Hangouts message there and promptly disabled it again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Because it's XMPP and when you sync iMessage to Google (as it defaults to when you first set up a Mac) XMPP will show. When you do anything Hangouts-specific it doesn't work with iMessage.

Oh yeah, I got that. I was just surprised.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EB Nulshit posted:

Are there any phone call recording apps for Android that don't suck? I've read about a couple that just expect you turn the volume way up until the call can be heard through the same speak you talk through, which sounds dumb. I get called during the day at work by debt collectors and I can't just let everyone in the office hear about it. I'd like to record them as they continue to call. If there's an option that also records information from the same call, like the caller's state and phone number, that would be cool, too.

I'm in a state where only one party needs to consent to record a call, if that matters.

E: Bleh. Found one that seems to do the trick but requires me to root my phone. x_x
If they're in a two-party consent state, you'll still need to get their consent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered turning down your brightness?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A lot of the time it refuses to do anything, no matter how much you prod it, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They don't actually care and if they did, you wouldn't be posting on an internet forum asking how to stop them from reading your stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

A whole bunch of people are into that man. Same reason those weird dudes trade lossless recordings of like Grateful Dead recordings that were originally done on lovely cassette tape.

They're on a LOT of drugs?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Does anyone on Comcast even approach the speeds they pay for?

I generally exceed them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sinroth posted:

Made a video for my app if any is interested in watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHsA8_uaFPw

Any feedback on the app would be greatly appreciated.

This is a joke right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe not be a sperg about the music on your phone? Also, use dedicated audiobook and podcast apps. Otherwise, you're just going to be frustrated and upset that nothing does what you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bhodi posted:

It's seriously the weirdest thing. Pinning downloads the file but none of your other apps can easily get at it.

you also can't pin directories, only files

it's kind of absurd I have to download a third party tool to get the functionality of drive that you'd get with a desktop

It's not really that absurd since one is a phone and the other is a desktop computer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Favela Flav posted:

Hi goons. I hope this is the right thread to post in. I need some app advice and this is my first tablet/android device.

My laptop burned out sooner than i thought it would. The HDD overheated and burned out the motherboard. Im building a gaming rig but i got a got a great deal on a Samsung Tab 4, running on KitKat to tide me over. It does everything i need it to, mostly.. i can access all the stuff i had backed up, plug it into the tv and watch movies, all that stuff.

I hate not being able to do like 10 things at once but thats no biggie.. My help/question/need is.. i need advice on the best app for streaming sites. Ive tried chrome, firefox, flashfox etc.. but they dont seem to have much compatability with dailymotion or vimeo.. flashfox seems to work best but on dailymotion the ads work just fine :rolleyes: but i only get audio on the cartoons and stuff i want to see, and vimeo.. nothing.

I like to stream vids with other goons on some sites and it sucks when a movie comes on and all i get is ads and audio.

Im still getting used to android so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :downs:

Have you considered using the dedicated apps for those sites?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, if you know your rights as they pertain to collections, you can pretty easily make some money off them suing in small claims for the maximum value since they tend to work under the assumption that the people they're calling don't know their rights or don't have the means to use them. Assuming you have the free time or leave for it, of course.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Ice cream is always good ice cream :colbert:
You don't know how wrong this is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Manky posted:

Welp we're just a little bit closer to Snow Crash now...

That's awful on its own terms, though.
Dominos is going to start using pizza-warmer cars, also...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad to see PowerAmp no longer looks like a bad WinAmp skin from 1997.

• Locked thread