Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Midjack posted:

It's all but abandonware these days. He was really good on the updates for a while but started focusing on his music player and hasn't updated LP in ages.

Has he even updated the music player in a while? I haven't heard anything about it in forever either.

While we're on launchers...is there any way to DECREASE the number of homescreens you have on ADW (I'm running the stock version that comes with CyanogenMod)? I can't seem to find it in the options...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

Streaming videos from home PC to Android phones and tablets trip report:

This is seriously one of the best posts in the history of the Android Apps Threads.

Testing out Qloud and Emit now. Thank you very much for the recommendations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

What's the best "shopping list" and/or "note taking" app for Android?

I was using Upvise, but it's done nothing but crash on me since I switched to a Nexus S...so I'm looking for something else.

The only two Apps I can think of are Remember the Milk and Evernote...but I've never tried either. And I'd prefer one app that can do both...so I think only Evernote would fit that mold.

Suggestions?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Do Out of Milk, Springpad, and Evernote all have desktop browser versions?

I used the desktop browser version of Upvise a lot.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I ended up replacing Upvise with 2 apps:

Grocery iQ for my shopping list and Evernote for everything else.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

I want to be able to move video files from my computer to my WiFi Xoom without having to plug it in to my computer.

Is there an app that will let me do this?

(I'm testing Qloud and Emit for streaming at home, but I'm going out of town this weekend, and I realized it would be useful to not have to plug my Xoom in anytime I wanted to copy a file over).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

ES File Explorer will. Click menu - show tabs, click the LAN tab, click on your PC, find files, copy files, paste files onto your phone.

Anything that will let me share only specific folders that you need a username/password to access?

I don't really want my roommates mooching a bunch of stuff off my hard drives, so I don't share anything publicly on the network...

I really like Qloud's setup - I tell it which folders to share, and I need a username&password to even access the Qloud server.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

the posted:

So what's the best Google Reader app?

Google Reader.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ASUS posted this today on Twitter -

https://twitter.com/#!/ASUS/status/132145456313679872

quote:

The Android App you need to know about : http://goo.gl/hJL1G (Bonus, it's FREE)

I wish this wasn't an ASUS exclusive. It looks really useful.

EDIT:
Is it possible to use Google Authenticator on a phone AND tablet at the same time, or just one of the two?

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 4, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So I finally got fed up with the shitacular Facebook app leaving GPS on even after I exit it. The app shits its pants if you deny it location via CM settings so I decided to give LBE a whirl. It's a drat nice app and does exactly what I want but I'm curious how it's so nice when its free. Is it open source?

I'm really interested in this App...but something this powerful also makes me nervous that it's also doing nefarious things...

Yeah, I know... :tinfoil:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Yeah...that makes me feel even weirder about it...

I think I'll hold off for now.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Glad I'm not the only :tinfoil: guy about LBE.

I'll have to check out FriendCaster and Tinfoil for Facebook though...

Codiusprime posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to pull a logcat for a game developer but im having some trouble. I've tried a few of the apps on the market but I can't really seem to get them to work. Am I going to have to use the SDK or am I just missing something with these apps?

aLogcat always worked great for me.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I haven't tried MIUI for this reason.

Same here.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

I loved GO Launcher EX too. However, I must have too much junk on my Nexus S because it is somehow starting to really slow down compared to playing around with my family's who never put anything on them. :(

I recently gave JuiceDefender Ultimate a try and this is the best app I've ever purchased in my life. I was skeptical because stuff like Andvanced Task Killer Pro were useless in the Gingerbread world and figured no way I needed something with a horrible name and clunky interface. I was wrong. This phone was starting to tank and now it could feasibly last probably 24 hours on standby. I still have no idea why iPhones last forever on a charge but Androids die in half a day but all that matters is I can have a a phone last all day now!

What settings do you use?

I tried juice defender, and it didn't work well for me...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Leathal posted:

It's because the Facebook app is loving terrible. Use the standalone FB messenger app and the mobile Facebook webpage instead.

Seconding this. I've ditched Facebook's App and switched to FriendCaster (for the Push-Notifications).

Thanks to whomever recommended FriendCaster originally. I can't thank you enough. I haven't sprung for the $5 paid version...but I'm heavily leaning that way.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

As others have said...it seems to work for me. I get notifications within a couple of minutes of the comment/whatever being posted...and it even notifies me when people in my "Close Friends" group have made new posts.

FWIW...I DO NOT have the email option enabled either.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Have you guys tried Thumb Keyboard?

I'm using it on both my phone and tablet...I like it better than SwiftKey,Swype, or Stock Gingerbread (and Stock Gingerbread was my preference for a long time...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

Turn them into evernote items?

Seconding this.

It's what I did when I upgraded from my old Palm Treo to an Android Phone.

• Locked thread