Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

What's the best SSH client for Android? I used Prompt on iPhone but I IIRC that app's iOS only. I'll use it almost exclusively for irssi access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I was thinking of swapping out the launcher on my N5 in order to customise the app icons a bit, and seemed to recall that Nova Launcher was supposed to be OK. However, under the description for Phone permissions, it states that it

quote:

Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls.

:wtc:

Does anyone know of a launcher that has less suspicious permissions? Or am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 23, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

XIII posted:

I'm almost certain that permission only exists so you can create direct dial shortcuts on your homescreen.

Right. Just noticed that they even explained their permissions on their page as well. I'll give it a go, then.

Edit:

Tunga: Yeah, I skimmed though the description, but missed that at first glance, somehow.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hope this is the right thread for my question.

Since the past, I don't even know, two months? I've been having some really annoying problems with the default camera app on my Nexus 5. Everytime I try to take an HDR+ photo, the app crashes to homescreen during the image processing, and usually even force-quits the wallpaper app, Muzei at the same time. I've tried to clear the cache in in both apps. My phone says it's running version 2.3.020 of the camera app, and the android version is 4.4.4

Any hints on what else I can do here? And worst case, any good tips on a free camera app that doesn't suck? I tried focal, but its HDR mode is, so far, a piece of poo poo.

edit: I'm also running Apex Launcher in stead of the default, if that has anything to say. The problem has persisted through at least two updates of it, though.
edit 2: And the phone is not rooted. Haven't messed around with that or any custom ROMs or any of that nonsense.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 2, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tunga posted:

Try removing updates on Google Camera (and potentially reapplying them). Also make sure you have tried clearing the data, not just the cache.

Tried clearing data and it still crashed. Tried removing the update and it still crashed, tried removing data again without the update, and it still crashed. Same when I installed the update, tested it, and cleared data again. :eng99:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Where has the app task manager gone in the latest version of Android (the running and cached apps thing)? Am I blind, or has it been removed completely? I used to kill off background poo poo that stole memory all the time on the old N5 running Android 5, but I can't seem to find it at all in 6.0,

edit: well I can at least "force stop" stuff from the apps menu in the settings, so there's that

ulvir fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Don't do that.

why not? crap like facebook or snapchat will literally hang on to resources forever and when I swipe away an app from the multitask button I want it to terminate immediately(-ish) which a lot of them never does. Like, in Android 5 I could hit the square button and see no apps running, head into "running apps" and have the memory usage be through the roof.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread