Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Has anyone tried the Siri inspired Iris? Still being improved upon, but it seems to work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Google Voice is set to make all calls with my GV number, but as of the last month or so people have been saying I'm calling them from a different number, my Verizon number. I've reinstalled GV, and it is still set to make all calls with GV number, but my Verizon number always shows up. Any ideas?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

FlyingCheese posted:

Welcome to Google Voice! Get used to settings randomly changing for no explainable reason and the changes won't even show on the settings page. Just set the setting to something else and then reset it the way you want and it should stick (for a while anyway). It's kind of annoying.

I try it on each of the settings and it's like I'm not changing anything. This is all through the app itself, should I try a setting somewhere else?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

Is it really necessary to have an antivirus app on your phone (avg)?

Only if you're regularly in the habit of downloading apps from very shady sources outside of Google Play. So pretty much no.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I could have worded that better. I didn't mean to suggest there are no shady sources inside of Google Play, there definitely are. But yes, your advice is better. Closely looking at app permissions is a good idea.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

AlexMoron posted:

There's a couple I've seen on the store but they're all paid apps, so I don't wanna just dive in and hope it fits my needs.

The 15 minute return window should be enough time to test and see if the screenshot app will work inside of a game.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I wish there was an app that acted like AutoHotkey for Windows. It would be a really helpful addition to Tasker, where you essentially tell it where to tap on the screen for you. With AHK you can 'record' a repetitive task and have it do it for you.

Bear with me for an example: At work, I'll need to go through hundreds of tabs in a browser at once copying the URL of an image or copying the name of a product. I will open up 100 tabs, open the recording program, click on one of the images, and the recording program gives me the coordinates of the screen where the image is (like 246, 506) and I'll plug that value into my little ImageGrabber.AHK I have that looks like this:

code:
#z::
Loop, 100 {
MouseClick, right,  246,  506
Sleep, 500
Send, o
Sleep, 500
Send, 2
Sleep, 500
}
So, when I press WinKey + Z the cursor automatically finds coordinates on the screen (246, 506) where the pictures on the vendor's website consistently are for each page. It right clicks, pauses for .5 seconds, types 'o' (copy image location), pauses for .5 seconds again, types 2 (firefox addon, switches to the next tab), pauses for .5 seconds again, and loops for the # of tabs I have open. In conjunction with a clipboard extender, the end result is 100 image URLs gathered automatically that I can append and paste all at once into the database. This keeps me from doing insanely repetitive tasks, and saves time because usually I'll be doing hundreds of tabs at a time.

So that was a really long way of illustrating the value of a similar program with android. I recently ordered some NFC tags. One tag I know I'm going to use for audio in my car. Currently, I get in my car, turn on the car, switch Bluetooth on on my phone, turn WiFi off, open TinyShark, go to the Player tab, and press play. The program for NFC Tags (NFCTL) can only automate so much of that. NFCTL can toggle BT/WiFi and open TinyShark, but I will still have to 1) Go to the Player Tab, 2) Click the play button. Some apps do have "Automatically Play" options, but some do not, including TinyShark. It doesn't make sense to me to go through all the work of buying NFC tags, programming them, but still having to finish the task I'm trying to automate by making a few more taps.

The solution would be an app that you can tell the 'Player' tab is at this location of the screen, and the 'play' button is at this location of the screen. When TinyShark opens, tap here, wait .5 seconds, then tap here, then end. I don't have a lot of programming knowledge, so this concept helps me automate tasks in Windows, and this same concept can help us automate tasks in Android.

Unless Tasker can do this and I totally wasted my time typing all that out, I would pay a good amount for an app that can do this and do it well.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 12, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Tunga posted:

That's not possible in Tasker, but I can definitely see some uses for it. You could submit a request to the dev, he's fairly responsive though generally has a pretty big list of requestes already.

Good suggestion. He got back to me in a little over an hour. What a guy!

Tasker Dev posted:

Hi yamdankee,

"I request functionality like AutoHotkey for Windows. It would be a really helpful addition to Tasker, where you essentially tell it where to tap on the screen for you. With AHK you can 'record' a repetitive task and have it do it for you."

That would be great but is not possible with Android for security reasons.

"So that was a really long way of illustrating the value of a similar program with android. I recently ordered some NFC tags. One tag I know I'm going to use for audio in my car. Currently, I get in my car, turn on the car, switch Bluetooth on on my phone, turn WiFi off, open TinyShark, go to the Player tab, and press play. The program for NFC Tags (NFCTL) can only automate so much of that. NFCTL can toggle BT/WiFi and open TinyShark, but I will still have to 1) Go to the Player Tab, 2) Click the play button."

If you have a rooted phone you can automate Go to player and Click Play with Tasker.

"Some apps do have "Automatically Play" options, but some do not, including TinyShark. It doesn't make sense to me to go through all the work of buying NFC tags, programming them, but still having to finish the task I'm trying to automate by making a few more taps."

You could contact the TinyShark dev...

Now to figure out how to "Go to player and click play with Tasker"...

Edit: OK, progress is being made. I am using the Action "DPad" in the Input menu for when TinyShark launches. I have it 'press' right one time, and it actually goes to the player tab automatically! Now the problem is I can't figure out how to get it to 'press' Play.

I just need to somehow make Tasker do something that makes TinyShark think that the play button, forward, or backward were pressed. It starts playing when any of those 3 are pressed. Judgement on my music choice is deserved, but I'd love to find out how to complete this task since I'm literally one step away from getting in my car, swiping my phone on an NFC tag, and hearing music!

Final Edit: I figured it out! It's all about the DPad function. I have it set to DPad Right once, then DPad Down once, then DPad left twice, then Dpad Press once. TinyShark now plays music on its own within seconds of me opening it. Once I get the NFC tags programmed, and if I can somehow place the tag in a way that the phone can stay in my holster and still get read as I'm getting in, all I'll have to do is get in the car and music will start!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 12, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I saw that option, but when I chose it Tasker prompted me for a File, so I assumed it was Play as in "When this happens, play this sound file". Is this option actually for a play button? If so, why am I seeing the Browse prompt for a file. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Oh I see the other media control option. No option for play, only "Toggle Pause". Seeing if I can get that to work. That would be a more elegant solution.

Edit 2: Good suggestion, but yeah, no dice. Tiny Shark does not respond to those. I'll have to stick with the Right, Down, Left Left, Press. Haha.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ok Tasker buddies, let's figure this one out. Between Tasker, NFC, and NFC Tags I have many automated things happening when I get in and out of my car. One thing that has me stumped right now is the Tasker "Kill App" action. When it kills the app, the app closes, but seconds later it launches again. I don't know if it does this for every app, but it's doing it for TinyShark.

Is there any way I can automate closing TinyShark without it launching itself again?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Thermopyle posted:

Why do you need to close TinyShark? You don't normally close Android apps...

I understand that there is not usually a need to kill an app in the android OS. Tinyshark, however, will keep 'running' even when the music paused. It has a little icon in the task bar, and it is still 'running'. So I would rather have TinyShark exit.

Typing the word exit just now made me think to try making Tasker simulate the input buttons to press Menu > Exit within TinyShark. I'll give that a try.

Edit: What I said above worked. Thanks though!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 18, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Vinigre posted:

Ok, so I did some looking around for this, but came up with nothing. Is there an application that will allow me to essentially turn my phone into a bluetooth USB adapter for my computer? I don't see much of a reason why it wouldn't be possible, but I've found nothing that says it will do this.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting a newer phone soon, and my current phone is the original Motorola Droid, which has a laughable resale value. I was hoping to repurpose it.

I don't think there is an app that can do this. I searched a little and couldn't find anything either. OG Droid may have laughable resale value, but the device that would fit your application is even more laughably cheap.

It never hurts to try to get $50 or so for it. Or maybe give it away to a friend or relative without a smartphone and they can use it as an MP3 player or a little WiFi gaming/browsing device. I gave my mother-in-law a crappy HTC myTouch a year ago because she was dying to play Wordfeud with us. I have since graduated her to a rooted nook color running CyanogenMod so she can play on a bigger screen and use more apps, but you get the idea.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Maybe Swype has an algorithm that changes words or auto-corrects based on how likely it is to be a word that starts sentences. "Our" would most likely be used more often to start a sentence than "out", right? Does Swype 'think' about that kind of thing or is it just whatever is close, no matter where it is in the sentence?

That's weird that it doesn't even have the option for "Out". We are both on VZW GNex's right? Are you on the latest version of Swype? It works fine for me, straight, or curved like you do it. I've also gotten in the habit of looping around for certain words rather than straight to the letters.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I wouldn't think the devs for SNESdroid had HDMI in mind when they wrote the app. I would venture to say that HDMI output really isn't optimized specifically for any app just yet. I could be wrong. Either way my point is that you're right, it's probably not a processor issue because it works fine with another program, so it's probably just the app and luck of the draw. You can look around in settings, but I don't think there's an option that would 'fix' anything like that.

On a related note, what kind of bluetooth controller are you using? I used a Wiimote for a while, but then I saw how advanced sixaxis controller pairing is and I was sold. Grab your PS3 controller if you have one, buy one if you don't, and go to their website to get the pairing tool so you can set the bluetooth pairing ID to pair with your phone, and you're set. Get the compatibility checker app first though. It does calibration and mapping really, really well. It has options for using your controller as a mouse and touch emulation so that you can map the touch-control button overlay in these emulators to buttons on the controller very easily.

Onto a completely different matter. I don't mean to bring up the undying debate about software keyboards, all the choices therein, and hardware keyboards again. But the BlackBerry commercial with the woman saying, "I get about 1,000 emails a day. Try replying to 1,000 emails on a touch screen" really threw me. Someone breaks down the credibility of the statement here, but even if that were possible, any/all hyperbole aside - I wouldn't want to try writing even 50 emails a day on a keyboard where I have to press each individual key on a mobile device. Nothing beats a real, full size, PC keyboard. We all type our fastest on that and if we ever had to write 100s of emails a day I think we'd all prefer using a full keyboard. But if I couldn't, my next choice would easily be Swype.

Let's face it, typing each individual key on a mobile is inaccurate, it sucks and is annoying at best. The only think BlackBerry holds over software keyboards is that it's easier to type each individual key on a hardware keyboard. But when Swype comes into the equation, that pretty much solves the issue. The issue being, mobile keys are small, so typing is more difficult and as a result slower. Swype doesn't make keys bigger or easier to find/press, but it allows you to be less accurate. You still need to be somewhat accurate on the first and last letter, and make some kind of sense in between, but other than that Swype handles inaccuracies better than any keyboard out there. Once you get past the learning curve and learn the quirks in Swype, it really can be the fastest way to type on a mobile device.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been following the thread since the beginning, but if this has been discussed in detail before I apologize for bringing it up.

I don't know how many of us are rooted, I'm sure a large amount are, but I'm just not sure about the security of having Google Wallet on a rooted device. Are people tying their credit/debit cards to Wallet? Couldn't apps get access to that data? I'm not trying to be :tinfoil:, but isn't that possible? Aside from the rooted aspect, NFC itself has been hacked many times. It's quite popular in Japan, I wonder what kind of security measures they take to prevent NFC hacking, account info stealing, man-in-the-middle attacks, etc.

Some make the argument, "Well someone could steal your wallet just as easily as your phone." That's true, but unless I have an NFC credit card, they'd have to physically take the wallet away from me. With NFC and Google wallet, things can be hacked and stolen without anyone knowing until it's too late. How secure is NFC?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Thermopyle posted:

There's plenty of options to view my PC screen on my phone. VLC clients and Splashtop come to mind.

What about the reverse? Back in the day when I had a Windows Mobile phone, there was a sweet app that showed my phone on my PC screen and allowed me to interact with it. I assume I need a VLC server, but searches for that mostly bring up VLC clients.

Anyone using something for this that they like?

I know WebKey does this, but requires root and has mixed results.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
There's a tool only available on the intranet at work that I need to use occasionaly on my GNex (away from the office). I bought PocketCloud and that allows me to fully remote into my computer at work, but for this tool in particular I only need to be logged into the VPN and type the address of this web tool into my browser, and not necessarily be remoted into the computer. I looked on the Play store for VPNs, but are there any in particular that would do this particularly well, and are secure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

quote:

and “put” before the phrase “that away”.

How does it know what you're going to type? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread