Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Does Phantom Music Control not work with the beta version of the default music app? Everything I've read says it does, but whenever I press pause/play, next track, or anything else, it seems to switch over to the non-Music Beta version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I thought you needed a pay version of Phantom Music Control to work with the new Music?

Yeah you do, I paid for the pro license but it's still not working.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Disable headset controls in whatever app is taking focus and see if it works. Also I don't think the auto-choose option works in Phantom Music Controls, you have to specify the app.

I don't see anything like that in options for the stock music app, just some audio effects options, and I switched it from the auto-choose option to Stock app 2.3/Google Music.

It's strange, if I open up Music beta, the widget pops up on my lock screen, but it doesn't display the right track. If I hit pause, the Music Beta icon disappears like it usually does when you hit pause/stop, but then the stock music player app opens up. If I try to hit the music app hot swap button, it occasionally opens up gmail.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

rotaryfun posted:

No joke, this WidgetLocker update is huge. Also love the fact that by default the notification icon is not turned on. Did they find a better way to manage it other than having to keep the icon there or something?

Not sure, but I've been trying it out with the notification icon off and haven't really had any problems.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kind of a dumb question, but how do you reply all to a mass text? I'm using Go SMS Pro and I don't see the option anywhere. Does it reply all automatically when I reply to the sender?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Grawl posted:

How is SwiftKeyX so different from the usual keyboard (why should I buy it)?

In addition to the really awesome prediction and superior layout everyone else already mentioned, it's also really customizable. I went back to the stock gingerbread keyboard for a while and not being able to customize the strength of the haptic feedback or how long you need to long press for alternate characters really bugged me. The gestures are pretty handy too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jesus that blows. My phone resets itself, without fail, at least once a day, and always when I'm using Google Music. I'll be in the car, go to hit next track or pause and oh hey, Motorola splash screen.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I thought there was, but I'm not finding it now. You could put all the individual songs you want to pin in a playlist and make that available offline.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What phone? My X2 did this everyday without fail until I called Verizon up and told them to give me a droid 3 instead. Smooth sailing ever since.

They let you do that? Was it a brand new 3 or did they give you a refurb? My sister had to get four refurb Droid Xs before Verizon finally just said gently caress it and let her get an iPhone.

Mine's a Droid X. This is actually a refurb too and other than the restarts, which only seem to happen while using Google Music, it works way better than my old one. Considering the data radio on my original died, and the first replacement they sent wouldn't even turn on, I'm hesitant to take my chances with replacing it again, but I might have to look into this if it gets any worse.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I use the default widget but it only lets you play/pause and skip to the next track. You have to open the actual app (which you can do from the widget) to go back, for example.

Also it's ugly.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm looking for a way to use the built in lockscreen music controls, the simple Back, Pause/Play, Forward arrows that pop up when you are playing music in the default CM7 lock screens. They disappear when nothing is playing and are very straight up and simple.

Google Music widget is ugly, pure Music widget doesn't hide when nothing is playing, and Phantom Music (paid) only works half the time. Usually it says "no track is loaded" and when I click it it FC, and sometimes it makes Widget Locker FC.

Yeah Phantom Music is a little wonky with Google Music. When I tried it, if I hit pause or next track it would often open the stock player or the doubletwist player and start playing a random song. Then pause would just switch between the two music players. I emailed the dev and he was really great about trying to fix it, but ultimately neither of us could figure it out.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I've been out of the android loop for a while, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm wondering if there's an app that can accomplish what I'm looking for.

Whenever I get home, I usually plug my Evo into the AUX jack on my stereo system and listen to Winamp/Pandora while I dick around on my computer. I'm wondering if there's anything that will let me control either of these programs directly from my desktop. I did some googling, but all I could find were apps that made the phone act as a remote control for Winamp. I'm looking for something that works in the opposite direction.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure, but you might be able to do this with AirDroid. It let's you control you phone remotely from a browser window if it's on the same wifi network as your computer. You can even receive and answer text messages and stuff.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm having a weird issue with Google Music. I bought an album on the market, and it shows up and plays fine when I use Google Music through a browser on my computer. However when I try to play it on my phone, one of the tracks cuts off after about 40 seconds. The rest of the songs are fine, but I've had this happen once or twice before where it will only play 30 seconds of a song or will start playing halfway through a song.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anybody using Go Launcher on the nexus? It's probably obvious, but I can't seem to figure out how to get to Go Launcher settings since there's no settings button.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Like I said, obvious. Didn't notice the little settings button next to the recent apps key.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Not sure but what double check the unlocker settings and see what you have that slider set to. IIRC, you can go to Application and pick the Camera app, or you can go to WidgetLocker Actions and there should be one for camera in there.

Either works fine for me, but maybe try whichever method you aren't using currently?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just use the mobile site. The official app is clunky, insists on using the GPS radio, and always loads slow as hell for me, even on 4G.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Undead Zombie posted:

I have thought of buying Widgetlocker but before that, I have questions about it.

Can you put widgets behind sliders? I thought of having the Grooveshark widget on my lock screen but then it would suck if I accidentally turn on the screen in my pocket and then the play button gets accidentally pressed. The purpose a lock screen is to prevent exactly that from happening. A slider that reveals the widget would make it better.

Can you have a security lock (draw pattern to unlock) on the widgetlocker lock screen? My idea was to have the security lock and the grooveshark widget on my lock screen so people can interact with music but nothing else on the phone.

I don't think so. You'd have to just put the widget on a home screen and unlock to that if you're worried about it. I have a google music widget on my lock screen though and I haven't had any issue with pressing it accidentally in my pocket.

You can use the pattern lock with Widgetlocker, but it works the same way it does with the lockscreen: once you unlock the phone using the slider, you have to input the pin or pattern. As far as I know, there's no way to put the pin input on the lockscreen itself.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

What's the biggest difference between Go Launcher and Nova Launcher if you're already on ICS? The feature sets look about the same assuming you aren't rooted. Is it just faster/better optimized for ICS?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

sharktamer posted:

:dance: Unofficial Music API close to completion, could soon allow apps to integrate with Google Music :dance:

There's definitely plenty of caveats, but it's progress I'm definitely down with. The Google music app is really well made, so I was never too irritated, but I'd still like the freedom to try other players that don't have this amazing feature missing through no fault of their own.

Also, a google music desktop player would be fantastic.

Awesome news. I mostly like the stock app, but definitely wouldn't mind being able to use
PowerAmp or something instead.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

I don't always run ICS, but when I do, I prefer Go launcher.

(Go with the ICS theme, I still don't like the widgets in app drawer thing and so many things go launcher has that trebuchet doesn't. haven't tried nova though.)

Same here. I tried out Nova Launcher but it seemed like there wasn't anything I couldn't already do with GO+ICS theme other than the widgets in the app drawer thing. Plus GO lets you rearrange apps in a folder, which I couldn't seem to figure out how to do on Nova.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

You do it by...dragging them around.

I tried that and it brought me back to the home screen so I could move the app there. :confused:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just use Google Goggles.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why again would I want to use the Facebook client on ICS? I finally noticed that it's just a fancy WebView based front end to their website.

I like the Friendcaster app myself.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

calcio posted:

In actual app news really liking the Easy Battery Saver app so far.

Looks like this is the same idea as Juice Defender. Any particular advantages over that app? Other than being free, of course.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's actually less buggy on my Gnex than it was on my Droid X.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pretty inconsequential but I just downloaded the update for GO Launcher and the new folder animation is super slick.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tasks recently launched on the Play Store and I REALLY like it a lot.

It's an app that was specifically created to sync with Google Tasks. It looks like a native Android app, from the Holo theme right down to the icon and widget.

It's very smooth and doesn't lag down my Nexus S running ICS at all.

It's on sale right now until May at $0.99. The developers state that it's a significant price drop compared to the normal price, so I got it now.

They have a free version which has the ads disabled for 10 days. Both have the same functionality, one just has ads and the other doesn't.

I used the free version for about 2 hours before I just upgraded to the paid. The free one had one ad start showing before I uninstalled it. It really broke the "default Google app" illusion for me. Plus, it's $1. Best $1 I've spent so far this year.

I think, if Google does want to make a Google Tasks app, they should just buy out this one or something.

It doesn't look like you can scroll with the widget yet, but that's fine as I don't generally have many tasks on my list anyway. It's still pretty functional otherwise and I don't see why it wouldn't be included in a future update.

Thanks for posting this, it's awesome. I was using Notes, which is great, but this seems a bit nicer and more featured.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ante posted:

I should also mention that Google Music has this weird bug that sometimes when I try and open it, it opens last run app instead. And the only way to get back to Music is to hit my back key a bunch (while the screen is going back through all of my recently opened apps until it hits Google Music again)

It's pretty strange.

Mine does that too sometimes. Fastest way I've found to correct it is to hit the task switch button (assuming you're on ICS), swipe Music out of the list, and then start it again.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Even though I love Widgetlocker, I stopped using it because I didn't have much extra poo poo on there anyway and the stock lockscreen music controls in ICS are so boss. It's really amazing how much of an improvement ICS is over Gingerbread.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's a bug, happens to me sometimes too. Kill the Music process open it again and it should work fine.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tasks is pretty good and has multiple account support.

There's a free version as well.

Seconding this. Been using it since someone recommended it earlier in the thread and it's fantastic.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So uh, I bought an album on the Google Play store this morning and only like half the tracks showed up in my library. I've bought a few albums on there and it's never taken more than 10 minutes. I emailed support but has anyone else had an issue like this?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

Where does Google Music save your music for offline use? Quickly digging around ES File Explorer I couldn't find anything.

I don't remember where it saves it, but it saves the file names as random numbers. It's not like you can save a song for offline use and then play it in a different music player. You can, but there's no way to know which song is which

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

My biggest problem with Google Music is that the shuffle function is awful. I'll have a five hour long playlist and not only will it seem to mostly only play the same 10-15 songs, but hitting shuffle seems to lock it into rotating between the same 4 or 5 songs, often choosing the song that's already hitting when you hit next.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Does anyone have any suggestions for traffic apps? I've tried a couple and of course there's always Google Maps, but there are a lot of criss crossing roads and highways and NYC so it can get very difficult to figure out which one is backed up just from looking for red lines on a map.

There are a couple of different routes I can take to/from work so ideally I'd like to be able to save those and then just be able to check their status. Anyone know of any apps that work like that?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It does, and you can even pull up alternate routes, which works reasonably well, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. Maps seems to have a pretty narrow focus and only gives you 3 alternate routes, so I frequently run into a problem where, for example, it will give me three routes into Brooklyn via the Whitestone Bridge that will take 45 minutes, 48 minutes, and 51 minutes, but I know that if there's no traffic on the Triboro Bridge, I can take that instead and go through Queens via local roads in 35.

I can back out and then get directions to a spot in Queens to check the traffic that way, but it's a bit cumbersome.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 2, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Edit: Yeah, it was just google's servers having issues I guess.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 19, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

With SD Maid, if I buy the pro version and use the System Cleaner and App Cleaner, do I need to worry about it deleting stuff like songs I've pinned for offline use in Play Music or save game files? Or is it pretty smart about that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Require More Fire posted:

Uh, so Google Play music...

I just updated to JB and noticed that sometimes the Play Market music icon in the upper right corner changes into a blue 'play' arrow with waves coming out of it now and then. When I tap the arrow it changes from blue to white. What is this? :confused:

Blue means your streaming your music to whatever bluetooth system you're hooked up to, white means you're playing through the line out/phone speaker.

• Locked thread