Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I apologize for asking, but the OP is super out of date and I didn't notice this question in some pages, but is there a short one size fits all list of apps that are straight up worth buying? I've got more than $50 from Google surveys and I have no idea what to blow it on.

I've been running rooted 4.4.4 on a Nexus 5, but I'll probably unroot for a while to install Marshmallow and see if I even miss root access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! So far I've grabbed Weather Timeline, Nova Launcher, and an icon pack. It's taking a little longer to get Nova set up on my tablet than I'd like since it's a Nexus 10 and has funky landscape layout issues, but I'm already won over on my phone. Weather Timeline has already paid for itself just by virtue of letting me get an umbrella alert in the morning, which is a godsend in a city that has a rainy season.

As for the question asked, I only rarely game on either phone or tablet, and mostly use them to keep organized and to consume internet media. I'm thinking about grabbing that podcast app, but Doggcatcher has treated me really well over the years.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Is Lightning the best adblocking browser option out there? I'm really tempted to get the full version, but I already kinda miss the cross-platform tab and bookmark thing Chrome gives me. I'm not sure how I want to reconcile those yet.

LastInLine posted:

I've looked at Weather Timeline a bit and thought about it but I'm just not convinced.

I'm in the same boat you are regarding trying to get away from root apps. I pissed away a bunch of Google funbux recently and Weather Timeline is probably the most life-changing one I've gotten. It's worth a buck or two just for the feature that lets you tell it to give you a notification at a set time if it's expected to rain (beyond a certain probability threshold) that day.

When I get up in the morning I check my phone to see if traffic is going to let me go to the office or if I need to work from home. Now when I do it I also (when appropriate) see an umbrella advisory to let me know if there's more than a 40% chance of precipitation that day. I've forgotten my umbrella a bunch of times in the past, with tragic result, so it's changed my life to have that reminder when I really need it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Does it do DashClock integration? If it does, gently caress it, I'll try it out.

It looks like it has a Dashclock integration. The weather here isn't doing anything super interesting right now so it looks like it's the same as the standard Dashclock weather, but that's not terrible anyway. The umbrella warning comes as a notification, for what it's worth. Turn your phone on in the morning, and if you see an umbrella on your status bar grab it on your way out. The other big thing I've been enjoying is a persistent notification that's the current temperature.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No. Use Firefox on your phone as your browser and the uBlock Origin extension for it.

Chrome for Android might also have uBlock Origin as an extension now, but it didn't for a bit.

Nice. Really, part of me wishes Firefox would shape up a little so I could switch back to it as my main desktop browser too. I've been using Chrome for years now but I like jumping around.

• Locked thread