Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh man, the new options for Widgetlocker are amazing. It's even better now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ozmodiar posted:

Do Out of Milk, Springpad, and Evernote all have desktop browser versions?

I used the desktop browser version of Upvise a lot.

To use the Out of Milk website to sync down to your phone, you have to have a Pro account (which IIRC is $5?), but yes, it does.

In fact, I just put up the shopping list for today on there, and it's already on my phone for when I head out in an hour. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

This may be a silly question, but is there anything like Remote Desktop/VNC/LogMeIn for phones that I can have my mom install on her new phone so I can help her with remote troubleshooting? It's a lot easier to help that way than trying to get her to read out error messages and what have you to me. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Awesome, thank you very much for that. I should be able to walk her through all that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I haven't tried MIUI for this reason.

I haven't tried it because it looks like someone trying really hard to turn Android into iOS (read: godawful), the security concerns were just reinforcement.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

What he said. Unless you drop it into the desktop sync folder, DropBox only pushes out changes to the online storage.

It's worth nothing that Estrong's File Explorer can both work with Dropbox and syncs properly down to your desktop/laptop/dog.

And it's free.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

NewcastleBrown posted:

Is there anything I need to do to get this set up? Can I just move files to my /sdcard/dropbox folder and they'll sync if I use ES File Explorer?

No, in ES File Explorer, once you set up your Dropbox information, you copy something and then, in the upper left, touch the dropdown that says Local and touch Net, then it goes right to your Dropbox folder.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You don't even need to use the dropdown anymore, just swipe to the left or right.

Well holy poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

BUY ME A CAT posted:

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but it does raise some serious concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcrmUTJZWw

:stare:

Did you... did you at least put it out before your apartment caught fire?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sometimes I feel like the only goon that uses ADW Launcher, haha.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

^^ :argh:

teethgrinder posted:

Am I retarded, is there no Android game thread?

Chu Chu Rocket :shobon:

Just $1, nice high-def graphics and 3D bits. It does freeze on me if my screen turns off mid-game. It's brand new though. SG2LTE.

There is, in Games. ChuChu Rocket was mentioned in there, too :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Jewce posted:

I looking for a to-do list that does subtasks and has both a web and mobile app.

There is toodledo.com, but I'm not quite ready to pay $15 for something I fail at usually every time I try.

There is OpenLoopz, but that is only for android and I want a web app.

Any suggestions?

There's Out of Milk, but that's $5 if you want web to phone syncing. Doubles as a nice grocery shopping list program too, though.

(I'm also sad that they removed the "buy a pro account, get one free to share with a friend" thing. :()

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Home Depot seems to be showing maps in my area as well.

In 3 years, I can see you doing a product search on google and them giving you navigation directions to exact shelf the product you want is sitting on.

No joke, that would be awesome if it happened.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can I buy these $0.10 apps and keep them somewhere for when I get the GNex sometime in 2095?

Sure, assuming you've got an active phone on your Market account.

If not, someone posted that an emulated device might work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Silly question - is there any easy way to import my homescreen layout and setting from ADW to ADW EX?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Skeezy posted:

You should go ahead and just get Plume. That's what I went back to after the initial shine of the new Twitter went away. They just released version 2.80 and here's the changelog for that again:

Add an outbox to queue message sending, retweet, favorite, etc even with no connection

This has been SO awesome, holy poo poo. I also like the streaming updates, too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Beautiful Widgets is a good repeat, though, I have friends who are mad as hell they missed it the first time, and I'm harping on them to nab it this time. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

Yes, definitely worth it. Pretty sure it's goon-made as well.

It is, yes. I use it, as does my mother and my girlfriend, and we all love it to bits.

I miss when a pro account let you add on one friend for free to have a pro account too, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

So if I want to share a list with my wife, she would have to purchase the app too? I couldn't just install the free version then log in with my email?

I don't know that the app will let you log in without having the pro unlocker app also on the phone, but I think if you both logged in with the same account, you'd get the same lists.

I have not tried that, unfortunately.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Essobie posted:

I just started using Dropbox finally, and thought it'd be a good idea to put a bunch of my photos for phone viewing. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to use a custom image viewer while opening images in Dropbox; it defaults to Gallery, and I want it to use QuickPic (mainly because Gallery will only flipflip portrait/landscape based on the phone's default setting for that, which I have turned off, and QuickPic overrides that setting just for that app).

Any idea how to go about forcing Dropbox to open a different default viewer? Or possibly some other solution (other than enabling auto-rotate all the time)?

Use Estrong's File Manager. It works with Dropbox and lets you use whatever you want to open a file when you tap it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Tiny Flashlight was just updated with an option to activate by shaking while at the lock screen. It works on my Galaxy Nexus and makes it much more convenient than using a widget or shortcut.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight

Aha, that's why it requires new permissions. Kick rear end.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Manky posted:

I'd really like to use Emit, but I've never gotten it to work. Running it on a MacBook Pro with 10.7.2, and neither my Touchpad or my Atrix (both on CM7) will stream video. It just fails and says "Something went wrong!"

I always get the same thing, but it's running off of my Win7 desktop. :iiam:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Athenry posted:

Plume is pretty awesome and worth the 3 bucks.

Seconded. Have been using it for ages, and love it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

This app is the best, really satisfying to use. A little off-topic but does anyone have something in the same vein for Windows 7? I used to have something that worked like this for XP but that was years ago.

TreeSize Free is what I use.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

So is it pretty much accepted that FourSquare doesn't know your location for poo poo?

That's my experience with it, yeah. I've stopped "playing" it because of it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tunga posted:

I expect this has been asked a bunch of times in the past but could anyone recommend a month-view calendar widget that integrates with the stock app? I don't need an agenda, or notifications, or an entire app replacement, I just want a widget that shows a month and lets me flick (or scroll I guess) backwards/forwards and has some kind of indicator for any day that has a thing happening.

I use Pure Grid Calendar Widget for that, myself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Plants vs. Zombies updated on the Amazon Appstore today and it looks like it works on the Galaxy Nexus now. Bring on Peggle!

Did it add the rest of the game?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The rotating is really nice. Good job. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Am I the only one that just uses Dropbox (with ES File Manager) for any phone -> computer or computer -> phone transfers? :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

LastInLine posted:

If you're already using EStrongs how is that easier or faster than just moving stuff across the network? Dropbox is slow for compared to wifi (by a lot).

I've never gotten it to work with network drives. :downs: Plus I'm on 4G and only 802.11g, so I think they're actually comparable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

People use FB Chat and Trillian does FB Chat.

imo.im also does FB chat now, too. :ssh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I have no idea what that is, so assume no.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Selklubber posted:

Is there an app that can stream video from my pc to the phone on my home network? Now I'm using Air Playit, but it just lets me download the files and not stream them.

Emit does and is goon-made, but it never worked for me, so YMMV.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Droid 4 Otterbox doesn't have a cutout for the Motorola logo so there. :smug:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

spincube posted:

In a world where pricing an app above 0.99 leads to people 1-starring and hammering out angry HOW DARE YOU RIP ME OFF THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE poo poo AAAARGH reviews

I... haven't ever seen this on apps that are worth more than 0.99. You don't see those sorts of things on, say, Titanium Backup (5 bucks), Widgetlocker Lockscreen (2.50) or Beautiful Widgets (2 bucks).

Now sure, if the app is a piece of poo poo and the devs are trying to bilk :10bux: or something out of people, then yeah, it's gonna get negative reviews for that (and deservedly so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bonzo posted:

But will it work for Landlines? I just use it now for IM and VOIP calls.

You have to pay for landlines, but yes.

• Locked thread