Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Well, are you?

Cats Protection in the UK is one of the main cat rehoming organisations, and they have enormous problems finding new homes for black cats. Whether it's because people think they're boring or unlucky or what, they're trying to raise awareness and find new homes for the unwanted black moggies.

I know there are loads of cat crazies on PI, so I thought I'd start a black cat appreciation thread. Post your black cats past and present, favourite pics of black cats, and if you want, get involved in the Cats Protection campaign by tweeting with their hashtag: #CPBlackCats

There's more info about Black Cat Awareness Day here. I'm not in any way associated with Cats Protection, just thought it was a shame there's so much cat racism going around.

Here's my favourite black cat to start us off - the forums' very own Office Cat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

marshmallard posted:

Ah! That's my cat!

That is Samson, Business Cat's 'brother'. My BOYFRIEND owns business cat, AKA Emilio and I own Samson (we all live together) and he sadly never gets the spotlight like Emilio does on the internet. You have warmed my heart, marshmallard, thank you for placing him in the OP.

You had probably just gotten the two cats mixed up, here's Emilio:

To contribute, here are some pictures of the duo:

Here's a video of Sam loving Emilio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM9pxZp5PLI

And here's some prime internet comedy gold right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ijYOptqlM

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 27, 2011

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Here's Alli, our foster kitty / soon to be our kitty officially if things work out.

She has her own thread elsewhere in the forums, but I'll take any excuse to post pictures and gush about her like a little schoolgirl.

We decided to foster Alli partly because she was a black cat - not because I have a preference for black cats, but because that was one of several things making her harder to place, according to the agency.

Alli is also a semi-feral kitty who is blind in one eye, so I guess being black was the least of her "problems."

Here she is at the shelter when she was first captured off the streets - you can see the scarring on her face and the fact that her left eye is damaged.

Here you can see how emaciated she was.

A month of us fostering her later, she's still thin and a little skittish, but now she's just a happy little fuzzball!

She has a little white patch on her chest, so she's not purely black, but she still qualifies. :colbert:

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
My favorite childhood cat was a black cat. He was named Blackie, I didn't name him, I think my mom did. He was such a sweet cat and a great mouser (he was a "barn" cat, along with Feather, on our 5 acres). Black kitties are my favorites, they look so regal :3:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Awww, black kitties are the best kitties.

This is Frank (AKA Black Francis, Frank Black, Franklin Delano Kittievelt, Frankie Baby, Francisco, and Francie):

Frank also likes the appropriate neckwear

He's the only one of our cats that I've been able to teach a consistent trick

Here's baby Frank, black kittens are so freaking adorable

This is him when he was sleek and sexy (and not a fatty fat fat like he is now... but we're down about 5 lbs, so GO FRANK!)

Chasie
Nov 17, 2004

Don't stop believin'
Once upon a time a friend was looking for a cat, and we went over to a foster home. The place was crawling with likable kitties and this black one came up, sat in my lap, and started purring. His name was Jamakee, which I was told was Swahili for "loved by all," (who knows, really) but the name was wrong because this cat loves everybody. I was told his previous owner had died.

I managed to walk away that day but about three or four weeks later we saw him again at a pet store adoption. He was priced to move (he was on clearance) so I took him home. He went and hid in my basement's rafters for a few hours but ever since I talked him down he's been nonstop love.

He's bonded with my big calico, is very object-oriented (he has a number of stuffed animals he's always carrying around the house and moving) and is always messing with the youngster (even though he's going to be ten years old next year) and he's a joy to have around. I've had him six years now and hope to have him at least ten more. Also I more or less kept the name, but he's Jammie, mostly.

Here he is, checking out a newcomer. He looks like any other black cat. I would take a whole houseful of black cats without hesitation.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Our neighbor's black cat was standing in their lawn the other day in a classic "Halloween cat" pose, and I was about to point out how cute that was to my husband when I realized it was taking a big ole dump.

Other than that, black cats rock. We had one growing up who was just the nicest cat ever. He could definitely scare the pants off you in a darkened living room, though.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
I never had a cat preference, but after being around my boyfriend's cats so much I would take a black cat in an instant if I could have my own cat right now. I have no idea how he got his cats to turn out so awesome, but Mouse is tiny, sweet, and really smart, while Mellow is obnoxious and dumb in a way that makes you love him more. I volunteer with a cat shelter so I've seen a lot of cats, but Mellow is definitely... special.

Here's Mouse. I don't have as many photos of her since she usually likes to sleep under tables and stuff. She's really sweet and affectionate, loves the poo poo out of my boyfriend, and will follow him around everywhere. She's also trained to come find him whenever he rings a bell.

And here's Mellow.

He makes this face all the time while looking around frantically.

Also:

If he learns he can knock something over, he will do it forever and wait for you to be watching him while he does it. His favorite thing is laundry baskets - you can spin him in circles and jump up and down while he's in the basket, and if you take him out he'll throw himself back in.

I pretty much just take photos of his cats being dumb every time I go over there so I have way too many pictures, haha.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
When I moved into my apartment I noticed there was a feral black cat hanging around a lot. She would always run away if I came outside, but I'd catch her sunning on the stairs or lounging by my windows all the time.

Then I adopted Indy and transitioned her off the crappy shelter food she'd been eating, and found myself with a half a bag of Friskies left over. You can probably guess what happened next, especially when I realized just how cheap a bag of Target brand cat food is.

Scaredy Kitty/Black Kitty/"Indy's friend" now gets her breakfast each morning outside my window. Thankfully someone else went to the trouble of TNRing her already, so I don't have to worry about extra fluffballs appearing in my front yard. She still runs if I get too close, but now she greets me with a hiss and a yowl. Sometimes if breakfast is late she'll sit outside my front door and cry. :3: She knows to show up when I open the curtains in the morning, and returns in the evenings when I come home in case she might get a second meal. I hope eventually I'll be able to grab her to apply some flea meds at least, but sadly I'm not magic like criscodisco.

She also has one tiny tuft of white fur on her belly, just for added cuteness, but I don't have a picture of it (yet).

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ketaaa :3:

Friendliest cat I've ever met, loves absolutely anyone that sits down and gives pets. Will also talk to anyone willing or unwilling to talk back.

Kip, sister's cat. Now huge, fat, and clumsy.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Apple Jax posted:

Ah! That's my cat!

That is Samson, Business Cat's 'brother'. My BOYFRIEND owns business cat, AKA Emilio and I own Samson (we all live together) and he sadly never gets the spotlight like Emilio does on the internet. You have warmed my heart, marshmallard, thank you for placing him in the OP.

I thought Business Cat looked different in that photo, but decided it was an improvement! Hello Samson, you are very handsome.

Robo Kitty posted:

Scaredy Kitty/Black Kitty/"Indy's friend" now gets her breakfast each morning outside my window. Thankfully someone else went to the trouble of TNRing her already, so I don't have to worry about extra fluffballs appearing in my front yard. She still runs if I get too close, but now she greets me with a hiss and a yowl. Sometimes if breakfast is late she'll sit outside my front door and cry. :3: She knows to show up when I open the curtains in the morning, and returns in the evenings when I come home in case she might get a second meal. I hope eventually I'll be able to grab her to apply some flea meds at least, but sadly I'm not magic like criscodisco.

This story is amazing and melted my heart <3 please keep posting updates!

In other news, are there any kickass names for black cats? I remember someone called the black cat in their litter Token, which was pretty funny. I think Dark Mark, Vince Noir and Nibbler would be funny too - anyone got better suggestions?

Please keep the photos of your gorgeous black moggies coming :3:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
What kind of a poo poo-HEAD wouldn't find a black cat adorable?!

Here's Emilio, casting Divine Sight to keep watch over his domain.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Pics! (these aren't my cats, I just like black ones)

BigEasyKittens
Aug 27, 2003

I adopted Gizmo from PetsMart 7 years ago after she sat in the cage for a few months without being adopted. She is the best cat ever :)

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Here's Spooky, most beautiful and only cat of the four of ours who seems to have any sense at all. She is surrounded by idiots.

Spooky's interests include catnip (she's covered with it in the picture), obsessively grooming herself to perfection, food, and staring disdainfully at all of us. She is...voluptuous, don't you dare call her fat or she will come after you. She's very sensitive about her weight.

Funxion
Nov 30, 2005

This man talks to empty chairs at conventions. Please help this man back to being an idol. Fight Alzheimers!
Mixie & Moxie, as stated in this picture. Orphans, sisters and rescues. Do they qualify? Mixie has white toes on her front paws and Moxie has a white spot on her chest.

They lounge around the place. Destroy my wallpaper which is going to force me to redecorate in the foreseeable future. When not sleeping, they are asking for attention, one on the left on the floor, the other on the right on the desk (am typing this with a pen in my mouth). Sometimes they are cute as a button, sleeping in each others arms, other times this can lead to an explosion of fury and yelps followed by high speed chasing around the dining room table...immediately followed by grooming.

Moxie will give you love bites when she's sure about you and you pet her enough. Mixie will crash to the nearest surface and roll on her back purring loudly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What's the policy of cats that are half-black? Both of mine are tuxedo variations that also have a hard time being adopted because black/white cats are "boring".

Can this thread be for tuxedo kitties too?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What's the policy of cats that are half-black? Both of mine are tuxedo variations that also have a hard time being adopted because black/white cats are "boring".

Can this thread be for tuxedo kitties too?

Black and white cats totally count, the shelter said they have trouble rehoming them too (although all-black cats are the hardest).

Tuxedo away!

HELLHOUND
Jul 21, 2003

We figured out a long time ago that it's much easier to control people when we're all watching the same T.V. shows, listening to the same radio stations, going to the same movies, looking at the same billboards, eating the same food, and speaking the same language.

marshmallard posted:

Nione posted:

Marshmallard/Nione: Where can cat ties like those!? Yr cats are so dashing and handsome!!!

And now that I have now been assured tux cats count (YAY), this is Tiberius. He is my butler.

^__^

with friends

gettin' some luvv

HELLHOUND fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 27, 2011

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I have two black kittens I adopted a few months ago. They are bros.

Blaine has staked out the bed as his territory. He is an expert at stealing warm spots the second I get up to get some water. Purrs at everything from petting to nail trimming.

Thaddeus prefers the cat tree. He is smaller, fluffier, and more standoffish, except during the mornings when he wakes me up at 6am even if he still has dry food left over.

They're p awesome.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oh, lord. The group I volunteer with almost decided we couldn't do any adoption clinics for a couple of weeks because after you pull all the black cats for Halloween safety, we have almost no kitties to come! Luckily a new grey one got taken in and we have some nice cow-cats.

Here's one of my favorites, Betty:

We're always making fun of her for being kind of a lardass with a tiny head (she's sort of expanded since this picture), but she's awesome. Friendly, funny, does great at clinics, wonky ear to give her character...seriously, someone needs to come take this cat.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Silky long-haired black cats are the best.

This is my little Lucca.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The closest I have to black is a mostly-black tortie. No white on her, just black and orange. Nobody else wanted her because she was the oldest tortie/calico at the shelter and she was only 7 :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

marshmallard posted:

Black and white cats totally count, the shelter said they have trouble rehoming them too (although all-black cats are the hardest).

Tuxedo away!

:neckbeard:

Some of these are repeats but my phone's camera is pretty terrible so getting new ones is an exercise in frustration.

This is Hoke and Miss Daisy. They aren't siblings but you definitely couldn't tell that. They are such an adorable kitty couple. Daisy is the cap and cape patterned one, and Hoke is the tuxedo.

Food?

I got Daisy when she was an older kitten shortly after moving into my apartment, she was brought in with a litter of kittens and she was there long after her littermates had been adopted out (the lady at the shelter said it was because she was the only black/white kitten of the litter -- I don't know if that's possible with kitty genetics but it sounded plausible to me); she reached her paw out of the cage towards me and emitted the most pathetic squeak. She was scrawny, and turned out to have a nasty sinus infection and wound up costing me about a hundred additional dollars in vet bills, but it was love at first sight.

On her way home from the shelter to her "forever home".

Daisy is definitely a cat's cat. She lays around all day, likes to be held on her terms, and gets into mischief when you aren't looking. Since I've had her, she has broken 3 glasses, destroyed 8 pairs of headphones, and knocks change off any surface like its her job. She also has an affinity for laying on clean clothes:

What? You were ironing this anyways...

Between taking 15 credits of classes and working part time I felt bad for Daisy, I was gone all day and she was so needy when I got home, and as it usually goes with cats, once you get one...

I saw Hoke at a local Petsmart when I was buying litter and something about him caught my eyes -- or the fact he was talking to me through the glass. I knew he was going be a handfull since he was only 4 months old and was already about the same size as Daisy and his note from the shelter simply said "vocal".

He was this cute for approximately 5 minutes.

And boy was he vocal. He is the loudest cat I have ever encountered and that includes siamese. He just talks... and is very insistant about... everything. He's also a big lovey oaf who is almost as needy as a dog. Despite this almost neurotic need for attention he is one of the chillest cats ever. He tolerates being held by strangers, going over to friend's apartments and will behave on a leash, but he still makes his displeasure known.

Can we go back in now?

Did I mention he loves attention? His "spot" whenever I'm sitting on the couch is right next to me. My boyfriend knows he can never sit to the right of me because that's Hoke's spot.

Lookit dem white whiskers!

I think both of my cats are the most beautiful cats ever, I cannot even fathom why tuxedo patterns don't get adopted, its such a shame.

Soon.

I mean look at how well these two get along!

D'aww

...most of the time

Say uncle!

...mmmfff UNCLE!

Bonus videos!

Daisy begging -- she has the strangest meow...
http://youtu.be/jZXl3jLEqtA

Hoke playing fetch (god I am so congested in this video):
http://youtu.be/ktkvHjEw-14

Daisy kneading:
http://youtu.be/0bXJrU-Ucf4

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 27, 2011

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

One of the coolest cats I ever had growing up was a Maine Coon cat named Spooky - almost entirely black, but for a white swirl on his chest and spot on his face. I seriously wish I had pictures of him on hand - I actually do, but they're not digital since Spooky was around before the advent of digital cameras. I should scan some in.

He was just totally awesome, great personality, amazingly independent. We lived in the woods at the time in Maine and he was the sort of cat who would take off for a couple days at a time with regularity and just go off hunting, being a wild cat o' the woods. We didn't much worry about him since there were no cars where he went, and he could more than take care of himself - he was absolutely enormous, even for a male Maine Coon. He weighed around 25-30 pounds, and he wasn't particularly fat until much later on in his life when he got a little bit overweight. Very gentle but rather aloof - he took himself very seriously, and rightfully so. He viewed himself as our protector, he was like a guard cat. He's still the biggest and most powerful domestic cat I've ever known, I miss him sometimes :( Black/mostly black cats absolutely *rule*.

Navik
May 13, 2005

Her sweet, sweet, sw-sw-sweet can
This sleek little thing is Maggie. (Or Magaggie, if you're a retarded Simpsons nut like me). She's half Burmese, so her fur isn't *truly* completely black in the right lighting, but she counts anyway, I think.

She was an alien-looking little runt as a kitten, in that "So ugly it's adorable" way.

However, she did grow up into a particularly beautiful cat. And insanely intelligent, she'll open the cupboard where we store the cat food by standing on her hind legs and pulling open the cupboard door with her front paws, then proceeding to dump the contents of a box of dry food on the floor. She also enjoys eating bugs, bitchily meowing when you pick her up at times, and being in the basement, so she can roll in dust and cobwebs.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

HELLHOUND posted:

Marshmallard/Nione: Where can cat ties like those!? Yr cats are so dashing and handsome!!!

Frank's bowtie was on clearance at Target a few years ago. Most pet stores should have some.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We have several cats and most of them are orange, my mom's favorite (though two are Siamese, one lilac and one flame-point, both retarded in their own ways) but at one point I told my mom if she wanted any more orange cats she had to bring home a black one. Enter a black fluffball that came to us from the Free Adoption weekend at the Humane Society. Fluffball was constantly being taken and moved when her 'time' was up by volunteers, and we ended up with her, renamed Night Fury.

She looks like the drat dragon namesake around the eyes and is a pretty standoffish cat, but a good one. Plus we needed a female to keep all the boys in line.

digitalscribbles
Jan 6, 2005

I'm a sillybean!
This is Kisa...she is sick at the moment but still weird as always. When people see her weird pics, they always compare her to this character from some dragon movie. I've not seen the movie...but I do see the resemblance, lol

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
This is Po. She likes rolling around in money. I told her that she should hold out for benjamins, but she didn't listen.

This is what she looks like normally, in a state of surprise/confusion:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

digitalscribbles posted:

This is Kisa...she is sick at the moment but still weird as always. When people see her weird pics, they always compare her to this character from some dragon movie. I've not seen the movie...but I do see the resemblance, lol

My daughter loves that movie (It's "How to Train Your Dragon", btw) because the dragon reminds her so much of Spooky. She calls it The Spooky Dragon Movie.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

digitalscribbles posted:

That movie is really good. It has great visuals/action and the script/performances play very well to grown up audiences.

I liked it as much as monsterhouse or whatever the one about the monster house was called with the sick construction vehicle battle at the end.

Black cats rule btw, would totally own one if I wasn't up to my ears in mackerel tabbies.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
My cat Susie.

That is the look she gives you right before she either rubs against your leg, or bites the ever living gently caress out of your hand. Or both, because gently caress you.

OpusD
Sep 7, 2003

I weep for the motherland.
This thread makes me remember some kittens my old roommate got some years back. One kitten was a striped fluff ball and the other was a skinny short haired solid black. My roommate and his g/f did nothing but pay attention to the fluff ball and completely ignored the black kitten. I was the only one who touched the black kitten much at all and it spent a lot of the time sleeping in my lap while I played Everquest. It's sad that people are like this.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Here's my little demon girl, Boogie. A total crazy sweetheart.

Playing baseball,

And as she sits right now, with her face buried in the armchair. You can almost tell from this pic that she has the inevitable quasi-mohawk from her Frontline application yesterday.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
My family decided to adopt a sweet and affectionate cat and we didn't care what breed it was. When we got to the cat room in the animal shelter, a 5-month-old black kitten started reaching through the cage bars at us and meowing and rubbing his face against our hands. He also purred really loudly when he got picked up. The shelter named him "Snuggles."

We were totally sucked in by him.

This is Atticus, or Attycatty:

This is the best picture I could get of him because he never stays still. He was exploring my Dad's apartment at the time.

He's having a quiet moment with our older Persian, Blanca. Most of the time he's tearing around and trying to play wrestle with her (which she is SO not into). He's an rear end in a top hat Kitten(TM).

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Here's Smoochie, who was living under our next door neighbor's back porch

We'd seen her around, but didn't take her in until we came back from a vacation and discovered our cat sitter had been feeding her our other cat's leftovers. She was very skittish for a few years but has improved to where we can pretty much pet her at will. She was very grateful to be taken in and doesn't ever try to go outside, though she loves to sit in the window and "tells" us to open it.

And just in case someone hasn't seen it yet,

Midrena
May 2, 2009
My black cat was nicknamed Little Girl, because she was a pitiful little thing when I first got her off the street, full of fleas and whatnot. She turned out to be incredibly affectionate (but not clingy), and would love to just flop down on her back so you could rub her belly while she kneaded the air.

She also liked to knead my head while I lay in bed, one paw in my hair and the other digging deep into my pillow. I remember the first time she did this freaked me out a little because of the way she poked my pillow with her claws and pulled until the fabric made a popping noise as they got released from her claws, but she never, ever so much as scratched me -- she knew it was my skin, and she would be very gentle.

When she first came, and got acquainted with my cat, who is the best boy in the whole world (his name is Horus but he's Kitty Witty always :colbert::

Strategizing how best to control their humans (seeing this shot, I'm reminded again of how I hated the floor of that old apartment I used to live in):

Lounging on the sofa:

That little kitten grew up to be quite large:

One of the few non-flash photos I have that doesn't make her look like a blurry blob (sun was shining brightly through the living room window):

Midrena fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 28, 2011

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
Here is Marlon. We got him from Cat's Protection about 15 years ago. Because of all of the black cats on their list, we deliberately picked a black one. He was an awesome cat who passed away at the ripe old age of 20+ Christmas before last.

This is Spooky. He'd say hi to the fellow Spookys in this thread, but he's afraid cats and everything else.

Fluff, token tuxedo showing off his big black dot.

Action shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midrena
May 2, 2009
A thought I had: If all our black cats got together to have dinner, I would be kinda hard-pressed to find mine with a glance or two. No distinctive fur details or markings, and no unique eye color. At least she'd make a high, slightly chirpy meow if I called out "Little Girl!"