Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Ashamed of her bald spot. (something something shaved pussy)

Is that surgically shaved or does she overgroom herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Abbeh posted:

Shenanigans!

Is the one on the right tail-less? Or is it just the angle?

PsychoTiyal
Feb 17, 2007
I'm convinced some of you posters have stolen my cat!

She's also quite brown in the sunlight, but is definitely a black cat. :D

Crossposted from the purebread cats thread, My Shenanigans.

When she was a kitten she got along well with another cat I cat-sat for. His owners have moved away and now she's a big butt about other animals.

Unfortunately I don't have many pics of her because (as well the posters here know) black cats are hard to photograph, most of my pics come out as shapeless black blobs with eyes.

...Then again whenever it's even remotely dark in the house that's how she tends to look anyway. Whenever I need to find her, I gotta scope out for eyeshine with a flashlight.

Unfortunately, I know what bad rap black cats get. When I was trying to rent out the spare room in my apt two separate people were like "You have a BLACK cat? Why do you have a black cat?" And one even said that her eyes looked evil. :(

PsychoTiyal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 12, 2012

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Pollyanna posted:

My friend's cat, Geki.

Ashamed of her bald spot. (something something shaved pussy)

Jinx had an over-grooming problem for the longest time. My boyfriends cat (he named her Sweetie, I called her Helga as she was anything but sweet) loathed him and while generally a bitch anyway, she was horrible (complete with bullying and ninja-style attacks all the time) to him until she passed away. While he remains the most nervous neurotic cat I've ever met, he now has plenty of soft black fur covering his fat rolls!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

marshmallard posted:

Is the one on the right tail-less? Or is it just the angle?

Your eyes aren't deceiving you - Arthur has no tail. Ford has a silly half-tail.

As you can see, Ford has half a tail:

And a lot of attitude:

While Arthur is just generally confused:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I love this thread just because there are so many great pics of black cats. It also reminds me of my mom's partner's cat, who lived with us for a long time. He was an all-black cat named Fidel - yes, Fidel, after the Cuban dictator. Great name. He was pretty dim, but the toughest sonofabitch of a cat I'd ever known. He survived so many mortal injuries it was insane, and he never lost his good humor.

He fell off a third-story deck once, broke a leg, wound up fine. He actually survived getting hit head on with a car going 25-30MPH - he wasn't run over but he was hit in the side of the freaking head.... And he was pretty much fine. zhe tended to drool a bit from that side of his mouth and wound up blind in that eye, but it wasn't too bad for what happened. Then he vanished once (he was obviously indoor/outdoor) for over 3 weeks - I found out later he was stuck in someone's garage while they were away. He returned out of the blue on a rainy night, bedraggled, meowing hoarsely and almost soundlessly, total skin and bones and half alive. He survived and a couple months later he was back to his normal weight, happy and carefree as ever.

He lived to be 15. Last year, the poor guy got mauled by a loving rabid raccoon. It's hard not to be too graphic here, so fair warning... but his face was just unrecognizable, it looked like his guts were halfway-hanging out, and there was just blood everywhere. I don't want to describe it in detail. It was probably the most upsettingly tragic and gruesome and awful thing I'd ever seen happen to any animal in real life - I still get nightmares involving that image sometimes. And of course, with all those injuries, Fidel was still alive :smith: We had to rush him to the closest vet and get him put down, it was truly, truly awful. But anyway, like I said, he was tough. And always happy and friendly to everyone, hardly ever raised a paw in anger. Every all-black cat remindw me off him.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Absolute Evil posted:

Jinx had an over-grooming problem for the longest time. My boyfriends cat (he named her Sweetie, I called her Helga as she was anything but sweet) loathed him and while generally a bitch anyway, she was horrible (complete with bullying and ninja-style attacks all the time) to him until she passed away. While he remains the most nervous neurotic cat I've ever met, he now has plenty of soft black fur covering his fat rolls!

I feel like a Bad Parent because of my Tomoki's overgrooming. Although part of it is because she's so small that there's a lot less of her to lick fur off, so the bald spot covers proportionately more cat. It does stand out embarrassingly on black cats, though.

Lord Colby Jack
Sep 7, 2010

Fus Ro Dah
I just adopted a black cat from the local animal rescue -- poor thing had been dropped off, adopted, and then returned again, so as a result she was discounted down to $5. She's a complete sweetheart, if a little scruffy-looking, and I guess her name is Allicat at this point.

She's all black with a random splotch of white on her underside. And although that first picture is really bad at showing it, here's a size comparison with our other long-haired cat, Spooky. Allicat is a rinky dinky little scruffball.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

slinkimalinki posted:

Is that surgically shaved or does she overgroom herself?

Apparently so. Is it a nervous thing? Is it harmful?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
It's recommended that you get it vet checked in case it's fleas or skin allergies, but if it's not a skin irritation issue it's basically a form of OCD (and the underbelly is usually the place it shows up first if it's psychogenic). Licking releases endorphins, so they do it to feel better in a stressful situation, then it turns into a habit that may continue after the stress has gone. With my cat, it started after a serious of major earthquakes that caused a lot of cats to change their territory etc.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Sasarella posted:

We have this downstairs, and another one of the tall, skinny poles upstairs that leads them to five kitty baskets on top of our Armoire.

Yes, all of this really keeps them off of everything else. At least so far :)

*edit!* Also, thanks. I am really pleased with how the kitty corner turned out. With five cats, dee eight's cat nip and a kitty corner, we have fine entertainment most nights here :)

Glad to hear that they work well.

Over the weekend we bought Alli a cat tower. So far she seems more scared of it than anything else, but I hope she'll warm up to it. Parts are wrapped in Sisal, so I'm hoping this will take some of the strain off of our furniture.

EDIT: A sidenote, Alli has a small, diamond shaped patch of white on her chest. So I guess she's technically a tuxedo. Maddeningly, though, I have no photos that show it - it's always hidden behind her chin or something.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 8, 2011

Lynxi
Nov 8, 2011
Here's my tux, Bella Rose:

Her owner was moving and couldn't keep her. She wasn't finding a home and was debating between giving her up to the SPCA or putting her down (to spare Bella from the stress.) She's bonded to me and is a great cat. She was 20lbs when I got her and now she's 15lbs.
I honestly had no idea that black cats and tuxedo cats had a hard time being adopted. :( I'll definitely keep it in mind if I ever move to my own place.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
keeping an eye on the thread

This is darkness.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

slinkimalinki posted:

I feel like a Bad Parent because of my Tomoki's overgrooming. Although part of it is because she's so small that there's a lot less of her to lick fur off, so the bald spot covers proportionately more cat. It does stand out embarrassingly on black cats, though.

Yeah, Frank has psychogenic alopecia (yes, confirmed by vet) so I'm constantly having to explain to guests that he licks himself too much, there's nothing wrong with him. It comes and goes with him, anything really stressful sets him off. We just moved and he's just been going to town on his back legs. Lots of people have been stopping by to see the new place and here we are with our mangy half-Sphinx. I wonder if it's more common in black cats for some reason since there seem to be so many of them in this thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lynxi posted:

Here's my tux, Bella Rose:

Her owner was moving and couldn't keep her. She wasn't finding a home and was debating between giving her up to the SPCA or putting her down (to spare Bella from the stress.) She's bonded to me and is a great cat. She was 20lbs when I got her and now she's 15lbs.
I honestly had no idea that black cats and tuxedo cats had a hard time being adopted. :( I'll definitely keep it in mind if I ever move to my own place.

That is not a real cat. That is a stuffed animal or maybe a vaguely cat-shaped novelty pillow.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
blaine was not happy with his new rabies tag and woke me up to register his complaints

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

ChairmanMeow posted:

keeping an eye on the thread

This is darkness.

Based on this photo, I would be scared shitless to have this thing in my house. Waiting. Watching me.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Black Kitten here!

This is Maya, I adopted her when my Aunt found her shivering under her front-porch steps. :ohdear:

After a few days of nourishment and care, and a few trips to the vet, she's now healthy and happy for the world. The vet says she's around 8 weeks old at this point.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Based on this photo, I would be scared shitless to have this thing in my house. Waiting. Watching me.

As long as I make with the food and the nubbins nobody gets hurt.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Black Kitten here!

This is Maya, I adopted her when my Aunt found her shivering under her front-porch steps. :ohdear:

After a few days of nourishment and care, and a few trips to the vet, she's now healthy and happy for the world. The vet says she's around 8 weeks old at this point.

Cutest drat thing ever. Good work :3:.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Nione posted:

I wonder if it's more common in black cats for some reason since there seem to be so many of them in this thread.
The only cats I've ever known with it have been black, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Black Kitten here!

Me wants!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Well done! At only 8 weeks she's already mastered the :catstare:

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I think a black cat is trying to adopt me. On Hallowe'en afternoon, this cat ran up my front steps meowing as I was bringing Penny-the-cat home from having her anal glands expressed (yay). Collarless, but shiny and healthy-looking. I started putting some food out occasionally in case it was a stray but I didn't see it again until yesterday, when it ran up my steps meowing and purring and rolling around. It ran into my house and upset my two cats. I put it back outside but I put a collar on it with a note saying "Am I homeless? If not, I should have an address!".

I wonder if I will see it again. How do I know if it's a stray? It's nice. I don't think James Bond-the-cat liked it though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LASER CATS

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
A week ago, I got my first kitty.

He's a tuxedo, and his markings look very much like a black cape and in front it looks like a mask, so we (or more my friend, who paid for him as a birthday present) named him Batman. He's an absolute sweetheart and absolutely loves cuddling and being picked up and he really seems to like me, which is awesome since I've had a bit of a fear of cats before, but he doesn't scratch or anything, so I'm really glad. :)

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Black cats for life!

Walter Reuthless
Oct 26, 2006

Problems on Purpose

nothing but eyes, looking kind of derpy

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I love black cats. I miss mine so very much :smith:

Toots the skeleton
Oct 16, 2006

toot toot!
stella the sexy black cat.

her little black baby.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Cash by jhunter!, on Flickr

Cash (like Johnny Cash).

I was at the shelter and there were a couple cast I liked. My friend told me that black cats don't get adopted often so then my mind was made up.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
Cats from work;

Harlem - a 'freeloader' brought into the animal emergency centre by a woman who found him on the side of the road. He'd been hit and dragged so you can see his wound is healing well and while he was once an all black cat, he now has a patch :3:. He's maybe a year old, very playful, almost too much so at first but he's settled down to be the sweetest cuddliest cat ever. He is also 100% muscle. Dense and heavy. Found him playing footsy with a stumpy tailed cat named Maisie, so we may hint to Maisie's owner that they get on really well.

Kittens!!
These two scaredy babies are fosters and are warming up to cuddles and love.

Opposite end of spectrum (get it?) - Theo and Thomas. The only way to tell these two apart is a tiny tattooed line on the inside of Thomas' ear. Both are also lovers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Here's my black cat, Figaro (AKA Turd Ferguson), named after the black cat from Pinocchio (who was more of a black and white tuxedo cat, but whatevs...)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I've always loved black cats. I adopted a tabby over the summer with my girlfriend and a few weeks later, I saw a tailless black kitten at PetsMart. :( If I had had the money then, I would have adopted her right away, my lease be damned! I hope she found a good home.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shebrew posted:

Well done! At only 8 weeks she's already mastered the :catstare:

I love it when kittens are at this stage, their ears look waaayyy oversized for their teeny heads :3:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Tabitha, the rumpy manx, lives in and rules my home. She's a gorgeous kitty, but unfortunately she knows this and makes sure I never forget.

Here she is try to appropriate my teddy for her own uses. She tries to steal it from me every night. If she wins, she kneads it until she is too tired to knead it any more.

Here she is mid-nap. When her eyes are closed, she has almost no face at all.

I thought I had a picture of my parents' black kitties, but I think they are on my external hard drive which is in my office.

EDIT: I went to PetCo today for some Wellness and saw a lady adopting a black kitty. I told her she was so good to adopt a black kitty. She asked me why and I told her they are disproportionately unadopted because people are dumb. She then said something awesome: "I felt really good for adopting a kitty, but now I feel even better!"

Ultra :3:

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 20, 2011

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My friends have two black cats. Meet Trot and Deneb:

Trot (the fluffy male) has had all of his teeth removed. Toothless gummy meows are the cutest thing ever. He is not a fan of men (except his owner) for some unknown reason and the best they can figure is he associates them with all the vet work (they've had him since rescuing him as a kitten). Occasionally I will get to pet him because he doesn't realize it is me petting him. This is followed by a glance, a wide-eyed look of "oh, poo poo! You!", and him bolting.

Deneb is much friendlier and can actually be quite a pest when she wants attention and you are working on the computer. She will jump up into your arms sometimes but is dead silent about it so you will suddenly have a black blob with two glowing eyes launching itself at your face. Oh, and a single white whisker for whatever reason.

I had a tuxedo cat growing up. He was the best cat ever and got along great with the dogs. He would even sleep on top of them.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my stray cat's behavior (see my previous posts in this thread for backstory). She was already hanging around outside my apartment a lot but now she seems to be there *all the time* when I'm home, even when it's dark out and the windows are closed. She just sits outside the window and stares...and stares...and stares. Sometimes she'll hop up on this ledge outside the window by my bed and stare in almost directly at eye level with me. This is driving my cat crazy, who runs around trying to get the best vantage point, making concerned and frustrated noises and generally trying to stare down the stray cat. Sometimes they'll sit on either side of the front door and meow at each other. The stray cat has even meowed at me through the window, even after she's been fed. What is going on with this cat? She still runs if I get too close and definitely doesn't want to come in or be petted. She just wants to stare. :catstare: And it's kind of creepy.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Front: Smudge at 17.5 years

Middle : Gidget at 2.5 years. Sleek and chatty female

Back: Boomer at 2.5 years (Gidget and Boomer are littermates) He's cool if only because he likes to sleep on my butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
This is Captain Biteypants. He's a long-haired tuxedo kitty; my eldest daughter found him as a kitten, and he's been terrorizing the family ever since. No ankles within a paw swipe of the bedskirt are safe.

The stair post is his usual roost. He will also take a swipe at you as you walk by.
(When we found him, some jerk had declawed him and them abandoned him. The worst of his swipe is his bony pink toepads -- but they are well-covered with toe floof.)