Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Cruxxed Up posted:

Jasper thus far refuses to be anything more than a black blob with my stupid cameraphone, so until I find the real camera, here is Valentine with his ridiculous bat ears.

Holy poo poo, those ears!! :3:. This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elotana posted:

The only trick to photographing black cats is a shitload of light.

Pretty much. I did finally get a pretty good picture of Layla because she decided to lay down in front of the window for 10 seconds.

Layla by jg zkc, on Flickr

By far the best shot I've been able to get.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Saw this cat on Cats Protection North London's Facebook page:

Look at those eyes!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Talbot making sure it's not lunchtime yet. (A cat has to know these things...)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marshmallard posted:

Saw this cat on Cats Protection North London's Facebook page:

Look at those eyes!

Jesus H Christ if ever I get any money I'm going to have to block Cats Protection or else I'm going to adopt everything :ughh:

Raisin
Feb 10, 2004

My roommate's boy, Zeus. He's friendly and fearless.

He loves high places and spends most afternoons snoozing on top of the kitchen cabinets.

He's always ready to play, especially with catnip toys.

When my nieces come over, my cat runs and hides, and Zeus comes bounding out all like, "Oh hells yes! You guys wanna play pirates?"

He likes to lounge on the couch and watch TV with us. HGTV is his favorite channel, but he likes Animal Planet too.

Sometimes the cats stop chasing each other up and down the hallway long enough to pose for a photo.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Trin Tragula posted:

Jesus H Christ if ever I get any money I'm going to have to block Cats Protection or else I'm going to adopt everything :ughh:

I definitely have this problem. I follow my local branch on Facebook and every time they post a cat that needs a home I'm like waaaaaaaant

But it's worth following them because they also post stuff like this GORGEOUS 9-year-old cat who needs an inner ear operation, so I'm helping them raise donations for her.

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

This is Chaplin. He was rescued the same day we picked up our poly-cat. He reached his paw through the cage and patted my husband on the back, and upon noticing the euthanasia order stuck to his cage for the next day, we had to take him. He'd been there for 4 months; since he was 5 weeks old. He'd been chased under a car and into the engine compartment, where he burned all the hair and a lot of skin off his head, leaving him prone to seizures for the next few months. Because he'd been in a cage for so long, his feet are splayed and he sashays rather than walks, so he became Chaplin.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Dust Radio posted:

This is Chaplin. He was rescued the same day we picked up our poly-cat. He reached his paw through the cage and patted my husband on the back, and upon noticing the euthanasia order stuck to his cage for the next day, we had to take him. He'd been there for 4 months; since he was 5 weeks old. He'd been chased under a car and into the engine compartment, where he burned all the hair and a lot of skin off his head, leaving him prone to seizures for the next few months. Because he'd been in a cage for so long, his feet are splayed and he sashays rather than walks, so he became Chaplin.

Jesus loving christ, this is simultaneously the saddest and happiest thing I've ever read.

gently caress I think I'm going to cry. Please post more pics of Chaplin being happy :(

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

marshmallard posted:

Jesus loving christ, this is simultaneously the saddest and happiest thing I've ever read.

gently caress I think I'm going to cry. Please post more pics of Chaplin being happy :(

He hasn't had a seizure since we brought him home in August. :dance:

Here's his happy herpderp face as he contemplates jumping up to get sockbaby. Sockbaby is any sock he can get a hold of. He carries them around the house until he finds someone - cat or person, doesn't matter - then lays down by them and growls with sockbaby in his mouth. He always makes sure he has an audience first. He LOVES sockbaby.
(cross posted on 'you look like an idiot' thread)

Dust Radio fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 22, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I found an old crappy cell phone picture I took of my Cash like 2 days after I got him from the shelter

He's more ok with me using the computer instead of petting him now.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I miss having a cat. I hate you guys now for having cats while I am stuck with a the stubborn little corgi that my roommate decided we needed.

It's okay though, I still love, Rusty :unsmith:

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Oh god I am so excited, I am going to roll onto this thread and vomit my excitement.

I just recently moved literally across the country, from California to Illinois (3 day drive in a UHaul with my kitty, who behaved like a loving champion, thank goodness) to a new place with rules about pet ownership that aren't awful. My last place, I paid an extra $500 deposit on top of $20 more per month for my one cat, and then to get a second cat, they wanted to charge me another $500 (so $1500 deposit total) and another $20/month which I just couldn't swing at the time. Well I got a fantastic new job and I love my new place and they totally let you get two cats here on the same pet deposit and no pet rent!

So I've been looking around for options thinking I'd just casually see what's around here, well, I'm sure you all know, don't actually go looking at your options until you're definitely ready to adopt because once you see the cat you want you will not be able to force yourself to wait another few weeks or whatever. :3:

This is Boo! http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20791961

I have an appointment to meet him tomorrow, the wonderful lady who is fostering him is going to bring him to the local pet place so I can meet him and hopefully fill out an application. He's 4 years old and originally from a home with many other cats, and my cat has always gotten along well with other animals of all sorts, so I'm not anticipating too many introduction problems. I have a big bathroom downstairs I can use for new cat quarantine for a bit as well.

I know he isn't mine yet but ahhhhh I've wanted a second cat for so long and I feel like this is the first real step into my new life even though I've already been out here for a month and kdfjlasdf wordvomit here.

Here is a bonus picture of my parents' black cat that we found under a dumpster 13 years ago and summarily took home with us (and who I miss terribly), Clyde:

And though my current cat is not a black cat I am going to post her too because I want to. Her name is Celeste, and hopefully soon I will have pictures of her and Boo together :3:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Every picture I try to take of Emilio ends up looking like this:

edit:
...And here is he is in total abject misery:

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 22, 2012

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
/\/\/\/\
Sir, it appears your cat has three six eyes.

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came
Nietzsche:

Black cats are the best cats.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Well, I thought I had just got a black kitten, but then he phased out of this plane of existence.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Cat adoption has been successful so far :)

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

elzie posted:

Cat adoption has been successful so far :)

That's great to hear. On the second night of owning my two black cats, one of them got super verklempt at my absence for a few hours, so he vacated his bowels right on the pillows of my perfectly-made bed. That was the only time either of them has misbehaved.

These are my two lumps, Frups (aka big kitty) and Samantha (little kitty). The rescue insisted that they come as a pair only, and I couldn't refuse. Their names were originally Radio and Stereo, which didn't make any sense to me. They may look fat, but they were fatter when I got them a few years ago in cages.

This is Frups when he wants food/nip/treats. He just writhes around forever.

In the sunlight, they look like coffee-brown glowing cats.

Black cats are superior.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

How do you tell them apart? I know three quarters of this thread is just dying to ask (once it got over the inevitable "wait wait who stole my cat and took a picture of it in a strange house?" reaction that comes along every time someone posts something new), so I'll do that for all of us.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

How do you tell them apart?

Behavior and skull size. Since my floors are basically black, though, the question "Which cat is this?" gets asked as often as "What time is it?" Aside from that, Frups is my best friend while Samantha only wants to lick your shirt or grumble.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Trin Tragula posted:

How do you tell them apart? I know three quarters of this thread is just dying to ask (once it got over the inevitable "wait wait who stole my cat and took a picture of it in a strange house?" reaction that comes along every time someone posts something new), so I'll do that for all of us.
Color-coded collars :haw:

Also usually there will be slight differences in coloring. One of mine has a smoky ruff and a white spot on his belly and looks much more brown in the sun.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Trin Tragula posted:

Here's my Samson and Emilio from the 1st page:

We're lucky since both of them are pretty different eventhough they're both 100% black.

Samson is much bigger, slightly longer haired, has a big poofy male face, and has yellow constantly half open eyes.

Emilio is very small and slender, fine haired, huge HUGE big round orange eyes. And it's no joke, besides when he's sleeping, those huge eyes are always wide open.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I absolutely adore my black cat and I am so glad that others realize just how sweet they are in general. My orange tabby was full of psychosis and raw hate. My black kitty just wants love and food and naps.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

JollityFarm posted:

Excuse me but I'd like my cat and bedding back, thanks. Actually on second thought, you can keep the cat, what a little jerk!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

benjai
Jun 26, 2007

My new little buddy. Or well, he's not mine, he's my friends, I just happen to be living with him and my own cat. Black cats are ninjas.

Pipboy and Batman, they've learned to eat from their respective bowls...

...at least for a couple of minutes before they switch and start eating each others food.

I can't believe I have to separate these two brocattes less then a week from now, when I go back home. They've been so adorable.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Hello, fellow black cat havers!

This is Hamlet, who I adopted a few weeks ago.

He's a bit of a chore, though, because I work nights, so when I'm awake the house is dark, and I have a dark couch, and a very large desk that is black on the bottom, so much of my time is spent asking my dog where the cat is. She usually knows.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Kruller posted:

He's a bit of a chore, though, because I work nights, so when I'm awake the house is dark, and I have a dark couch, and a very large desk that is black on the bottom, so much of my time is spent asking my dog where the cat is. She usually knows.

Last night I got up at about 3 to get some water from downstairs. When I got downstairs, Alli wasn't curled up in her usual spot on the couch, and I couldn't hear her, so I got confused :confused:. I was about to shrug it off, when I got this weird irrational feeling of being hunted, like I was in a Predator movie.

Picture me, a full grown man, creeping nervously through the house, warily on the lookout for a 7 pound cat.

Not in the kitchen, not in the laundry room, not in her litter box . . . odd . . . let's just the get the water and go back upstairs :iiam:, OK turn arou-FUCKSHITASS - she had snuck up behind me from the stairs. Apparently she was upstairs and I had just walked right past her without seeing her.

Kitty doesn't want to be fed, kitty wants to hunt.

Last week, right after my girlfriend woke up, she went out into the loft. The cat was standing about ten feet away, but against a dark blue background. My girlfriend's vision is so bad without her glasses that she could only see the cat when she opened her mouth.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

What's that crinkling noise behind my desk?

Oh, it's just you, little cat.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

kuskus posted:

What's that crinkling noise behind my desk?

It appears to be The Nothing in a box.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Elotana posted:

The only trick to photographing black cats is a shitload of light.

Yup! Seems right!

This is our cat Lily. She used to be a lot blacker when we first found her, she's getting on in years now. She was a stray in the city I lived in when I was in elementary school, we took her in on Easter weekend which is how she got the name. She was pregnant when we found her, gave birth to a calico girl (Swee'pea), a black-with-rust-spots kitten girl (Rusty), and a multi-colored black/white/grey/ boy (Runt). We gave away Rusty right away to a friend of my parents, Runt to a different family after we realized we couldn't handle having that many cats, and Swee'pea after it became clear that she had urinary problems we weren't prepared to take care. A friend of the vet took her in.

She's 12 years old now, and despite my dad's insistence that she constantly receives food, she's kept slim due to her instincts telling her to ration her food out the best she can. :3:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Sam is my bear-cat. He LOVES FEET. If you are sitting he will rub all over your feet. It is weird. He's the friendliest derpy cat ever.

He was at a rescue with a bunch of other kitties and he was the chillest dude there. The rescue lady said he'd been there for over a year, because he was really scared when he was tiny and cute, so he hid in the back. By the time he grew out of it, he was too old to get any attention.

I love him (but I tell him no one loves him, I am so mean.)

Sam has the prettiest green eyes. Most black cats I've seen have yellow ones, it really made him stand out. The hair on the insides of his ears is white but he doesn't have a white patch.

Here he is with his fluffy partner Max. (also to show off how huge he is.) Sam is technically her cat, since I picked him up specifically to give her a friend. He is twice her size and she still beats him up, I have no idea. My favorite thing about him is probably his broken meower. His voice is really high pitched and squeaky, and he is a big talker. Guests think it's hilarious.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 4, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mistaya posted:

Sam is my bear-cat. He LOVES FEET. If you are sitting he will rub all over your feet. It is weird. He's the friendliest derpy cat ever.

He was at a rescue with a bunch of other kitties and he was the chillest dude there. The rescue lady said he'd been there for over a year, because he was really scared when he was tiny and cute, so he hid in the back. By the time he grew out of it, he was too old to get any attention.

I love him (but I tell him no one loves him, I am so mean.)

Sam has the prettiest green eyes. Most black cats I've seen have yellow ones, it really made him stand out. The hair on the insides of his ears is white but he doesn't have a white patch.
My favorite thing about him is probably his broken meower. His voice is really high pitched and squeaky, and he is a big talker. Guests think it's hilarious.

My black kitty, Talbot, squeaks as well. He has given maybe four real meows that I've heard ever. So cute :3:

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

This is Jason.

We got him at our local Humane Society about 4 years ago. We weren't looking for a black cat, or any "kind" of cat for that matter but at the shelter we met him and decided he's the one. Black cats are so chill and awesome. Now that I know how hard they are to place I would absolutely get another in the future.

He's the most loving cat I've ever known. He's particularly attached to me (our other cat prefers my husband). He has to follow me around from room to room in our house but rarely gets in the way. Until he decides its time for cuddles. Then he's relentless in his pursuit of pets and scratches. He also loves water. His favorite time of the day is when I shower. He loves to watch me and sometimes jump in to play. So much so that they other day I came home a little early from work. And as I was making my way to the bathroom he heard me and came running. He was in the box at the time taking a dump and literally dropped what he was doing to join me. He darted past me to the master bath leaving a trail of turdlets in his wake. :downs:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

mistaya posted:

I have that exact same cat tree, and Einstein's come close to knocking it over more than once with how enthusiastically he leaps onto it, even with a full can of paint on the bottom for added stability.

I don't have any good pictures of him on it (or of how absolutely coated it is with his and Heisenberg's hair), but I do have a prime picture showcasing just how destructive he can be with the things he loves.

There was a recognizable toy on the end of that string less than a week prior. He also tore off the dangly-ball from the cat tree by the end of the third day that we had it.

And, one more shot just for good measure.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Black cats. SO REGAL.

FYI these are all Arthur because Ford does look pretty composed most of the time.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I don't have any good pictures of him on it (or of how absolutely coated it is with his and Heisenberg's hair), but I do have a prime picture showcasing just how destructive he can be with the things he loves.

Oh god, yes. That picture was from the first week or two we owned the cat tree. It isn't beige anymore. :gonk:

I think the dangly ball lasted 15 minutes. Sam doesn't really swat at things on strings, he grabs the string and gnaws it in half right away. And then attempts to eat the string, because he's suicidal. So yeah, strings are a supervised time only toy.

That picture of Arthur in the box is one of my favorite PI pics. It's just so derpy.

Story of a chillax black cat: We moved cross country from AZ to NC with Max (the brown/white fluffball.) Rescued Sam in NC, and moved back to AZ the next year. Max needs tranquilizers or she flat out will not ride in a car without meowing nonstop. I gave them to Sam on the first night but he doesn't like treats as much so it's hard to pill him since he won't eat a sneaky pill treat. So I left off the second day and Sam just sat in his carrier and looked out the window for the next 1700 miles, chill as hell, while his poor buddy was stoned out of her mind. (If you want to see the DERPIEST cat, get a pic while they're sleepy from tranqulizers.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 5, 2012

LemonWitch
Apr 20, 2007
Yes, flipping someone off means the same thing in ASL that it means in English.
Meet Salem!

I know, a black cat names Salem is terrifically clever. He was called that by the woman who was fostering him, and her organization liked you to try and bond with the animal before adoption, so it just seemed weird to change his name after getting to know him as Salem. But since his brother's name was Lord Remington Sassafras, Salem became Sir Salem Spookiville.

He had been with me for three days when this picture was taken. He went from spry little thing to huge hyperactive lump in about four years.

I don't recall why he had his ears back when I snapped this, but he looks like someone just told him a filthy joke.

Both boys on my lap! I lost Remington last July to renal failure. You can see here that Salem's bottom lip is naked. I have no idea why, it's always been nude and suggestive!

And finally, last Christmas. He went with me to my sister's house, and while he hated the drive he adjusted to the new local with surprising ease. He was snoozing next to my arm on Christmas Eve.

It hurt to lose Remington, but having Salem there actually helped a lot. He was originally a feral rescue, caught with his mother. She was neutered and released, and he was bottle raised. He's the loudest cat on the planet, talks to himself when there's no one in the room to yell at, like to chew up and spit out paper and cardboard, and sucks on his feet when he's happy. He loved tape and licking it off of his fur, and he gets ridiculously excited when I make the bed-- he helps me by attacking the sheet and the blankets. I love that little weirdo!

LemonWitch fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 6, 2012

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Abbeh posted:

black cats make good vampire cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The other day I was in my kitchen pottering about, when I realised that there was a large, mysterious black blob in my kitchen.

Like any sensible person, I decided to follow it around with a camera to be sure I wasn't going mad and it was really there.

The blob wandered around organically, almost if it were some kind of animal. Hmmm. Could that be a tail?

Might those protrusions in fact be ears?

And wait just a minute...those are eyes! I had a theory.

It required closer attention.

Yes, I'm sure of myself now! I know what it is!

That blob was a cat! Charlie Alpha Tango.

Her name is Tia, and she is secure in her blobbiness.