Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Pony
May 12, 2007
It seemed to be a sort of monster, or symbol representing a monster, of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive.
Black cats, you say?

Murphy, ~13 year old fluffy grouch.

Penny, the 8 month old spaz, turns into...

...Penny, the 3 year old lump. She fell asleep while washing, I think.

Bonus spaz picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Oh god, I just agreed to take care of a lady's cat while she's deployed. A black cat. How much trouble am I in for? Picture of said cat:

I will have her starting April 16th for 10 months, and have already bought her treats.....

Edit: I forgot to say her name is Nugget!

Mean Bean fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This thread needs more bicolor cats.

What's the old joke? Something about cats somehow being able to have their anus at eye level despite being a foot tall?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 12, 2012

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Polo-Rican posted:

What kind of a poo poo-HEAD wouldn't find a black cat adorable?!

Here's Emilio, casting Divine Sight to keep watch over his domain.

I'll match your Divine Sight and raise you Laser Eyes.

This is Rupert by the way. He's a cat.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

This is my girlfriend's cat Zorro:

He like to antagonize my dog when he's in his crate

Or plot to steal a bully stick

But mostly he's just a tard

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake
I'm a bit cat-racist, but backwards. I LOVE black cats and prefer them over the other colors, but I'm a little biased since my first cat was a black cat. Midnight in his later years:

That brown thing was advertised as a "catnip cigar", I had to wrap tape around it so my mom wouldn't think it was giant poop.

The epitome of cat bitch please face, on the right is Dusk who came later. My brother took Sundown shortly after and Midnight and Dusky got along pretty well so I called him "Grampa" until the end. Midnight had to be put down about a year ago at the age of 17, but I can't help but have a soft spot for black cats because of him.

Later on, my roommate and I got 2 cats (2-for-one at the shelter), this one is Major Tom, a super-lovey boy cat we rescued from the shelter who picked my roommate as Mom.

Unfortunately, after a vet visit we learned Tom actually had a total of 3 heart murmurs at the age of 3. Since we were not financially prepared for such a medical issue (we're talking thousands and he would never fully be cured), we had to give him back to the shelter and hope someone could possibly sponsor him. Double unfortunately, they couldn't justify that risk or expense for him either and the decision was made to put him down, this all happened in the week after we got him. My roommate and I made arrangements to be there with him when, as in the song we named him for, he passed away.

BUT on to the happy story, this is Earthling. We got him and Tom at the same time and they were extremely hard to tell apart. Earthling is still around and lives with my roommate and her boyfriend

Where he is confused by snow and dolphin/weasel-chirps at the birds and the mailman. It is unconfirmed whether he is actually part fox.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

My name is Max and I'm a thief.

If you have kids, I'll steal their toys.

If you have small tools, I'll steal them.

You have ribbons? Heh, not anymore.

I also like deep fried chicken. If you don't watch me, I'll steal a piece and share it with my sister, Ruby.

Chicken noodle soup? It's gone. I ate it for you.

You have a bowl of rice? You probably can't tell some of it is missing.

That's a nice duster you used to have. I took it back to my crib to ravage.

Instead of scratching people, like some kittens do, I've turned to a life of crime. You think I'm sweet because I go out of my way to not scratch you. I'll even slide right down your shirt, never trying to slow down with claws. Then when you tell everyone about me, I'll steal your stuff.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

stablercake posted:

dolphin/weasel-chirps at the birds and the mailman.
Not only does mine do this at birds, she also does it in her sleep :3:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Rusty! posted:

Not only does mine do this at birds, she also does it in her sleep :3:

Hamlet does that, and I will forever rue my squeaky office chair when he stole my 80 pound dog's bed, was having a twitchy feet dream where he was chirping, while my dog was on the floor next to him having a twitchy feet dream where she was making tiny dog yelps. The drat chair squeaked as I grabbed my camera to record it, and woke both of them up. It was amazingly adorable.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

He demands belly rubs.

Stonut
Sep 12, 2003
Cranky Nympho
This is Gus. He's 2. I adopted him from the local shelter; he was in the interaction room and when I walked in, he strolled up and jumped in my lap.

I'm a musician. He doesn't like it when I practice, because it's loud.

Busted.

OH HAI

You'll wash your hands when I SAY you can wash your hands

He's awesome. Ornery as hell but super sweet and affectionate. Loves to play.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
I am happy to see that this thread has room for RESPECTABLE BUSINESSCATS.

Prowl is going on 10 years old now, but don't let that fool you. He'll still give you five across the face.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Those last two posts must be stuffed toys. No real cats could look like that.

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

here is Poe

He was rescued 2 years ago, wher he had been living wild for an undetermined period of time, since he was a kitten. he was originally owned, he had a collar that was biting into his skin as he had grown too big for it.

He was with the rescue for a month, and then we got him.

He's maybe 4 years old, and he is a quiet cat who is steadily becoming a lap cat

Here's bonus footage of our other cat Henrik doing a children of the corn impression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VdZAlLgzMQ

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3
Yay, black cats! :neckbeard:

Meet Princess Spooky "Spookums" Rinker. My mom found her living under a City Hall building in October 2008, just a few weeks before Halloween. Another Spooky Black cat whoodathunkit. A friend of mine says she also bears a resemblance to Toothless. My mom named her Spooky since her first cat, also a black cat, was named spooky. Spooky captured the hearts of the police department. The back door was always open there and at times she would be found waltzing in and out at her leisure. She enjoyed riding the balance board, hunting lizards, and suckering Chief and my mom out of multiple meals. She had her special bag of meow mix at the police department.
My mother being my mother, she tried to pet Spooky one day. Spooky wasn't completely afraid around people, obviously not since she knew who to sucker out of a meal, but she was a little skittish. Spooky scratched her and I got saddled with the task of trapping her for quarantine. After watching the devious little furball eat the food out of the trap without tripping it a few times, she slipped and got caught. Immediately she started rolling around like an angry crocodile on Croc Hunter and kept rolling away as animal control took her. She got spayed, passed her quarantine with flying colors, and recuperated in our garage. And then she never left :3:

She is Queen of the Butts.

Acquiring my (unplugged) macbook pro's power cable. Taking things is her specialty. In her youth she'd cuddle up to you and rip a pen out of your hand and then drop it down the stairs. I caught her cleaning my pair of red velvet Christian Louboutin shoes one night. But she's so cute she gets away with it.

Stretching out on my crumpled up Snuggie.

Being a reaaal cute motherfucker.

Working on her camouflage techniques.

i'm too cute don't look at me

Big ol' kitty yawn.

When not being the cutest cat in existence she enjoys torturing our 17 or 18 year old longhaired grey cat who only wants to sit in the bathtub and drink water dammit. Spooky also enjoys playing by herself. She will drop a toy down the stairs and chase it or she'll just pick up a toy on her own and play away. She's torn apart a few toys. She has very sleek fur that almost feels orylag soft. And she absolutely shuns people food.

EDIT: I just wanna tickle Poe's lip :3:

Here she is "helping" play the role of Jaws at Christmas.

more destruction lalalalala

The Blue L-Block fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 8, 2012

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Borogrove posted:

He's maybe 4 years old, and he is a quiet cat who is steadily becoming a lap cat
Don't expect the quite bit to last... my former stray started out quiet, and as she got her feet further under the table, her volume increased to match.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn, lazy Sunday.

Prowl hopes everyone is having a relaxi--

OH JESUS CHRIST!!!

:v:

notmandatory
May 18, 2006
Hooray for black cats! We have two (plus a torbie). They're not related and we always find it funny that people have trouble telling them apart, because they have very different looks. Plus one is way, way fatter than the other (although the picture in the sun doesn't really show that!).

Fatasses in the sun:

Just chilling together:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

notmandatory posted:

Fatasses in the sun:

Aww! You don't often see fat black cats for some reason, or at least I always think of them as sleek and skinny.

I love this picture!

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
This is Samson, one of the kittens we rescued from underneath the trailer I work in, he's about 8-9 weeks old right now.

Here he is with his partner in crime CJ, sleeping after I picked them up last Thursday and took them to the vet.

Here he is on the prowl.

Trying to figure out how to get down from the cat tree he just climbed up.

Definitely the more docile of the two kittens I have(CJ is the instigator, but Samson gives as good as he gets), they are pretty much inseparable.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Today was one of the hottest days we've had all year. I tried to get Tia-cat interested in Ball, her favourite toy. She loves Ball. Take it out, roll it around, drop it next to her, and she'll bat it and chase it round and round the room until kingdom come...

Oh. That's not gone well.

So then later in the day I take in this stupidly large box. Baffles me for a good while until I see what's in it and realise it's just overpackaging. OK, so I have a cool thing, but now I also have this useless box clogging up space...

"ThankyouverymuchfortheboxandIhavedecidednottokillyourightatthismomentintime..." *click*

And then she went to sleep again.

All's well that ends well!

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
I would like to introduce you to my little black fluff face, and tell you a bit about her.

This is Cac-Kac (pronounced like the first part of the word Khaki. Khak-Khak.). She was named as such because this is the noise that she makes instead of a normal meow.

She also goes by the names Khaki, Banana, Nana, Nan and Little Black Bear.

Cac was not originally my cat. My ex-fiance's mother's somewhat feral cat had a litter of kittens, and Cac was the most feral out of the bunch. My ex's sister Sarah coaxed her out of a tree that she had managed to get herself stuck in, and adopted her. Sarah was someone who loved to keep pets. Unfortunately, she was absolute poo poo at taking care of animals. She was reported on several occasions by concerned neighbors over neglect of a dog that she kept tied up outside without a water dish (during a hot southern summer), and she had never house broken her indoor dog so the poor thing used the bathroom inside constantly (and was then scolded for doing so.).

Luckily, right after she had brought Cac home, my ex was kicked out of his home and moved in with her. He had a cat of his own (and was an exceptionally good pet owner), and once he saw that Cac wasn't being fed regularly or given any attention, he took it upon himself to care for her. Still, she wasn't really his cat, and her rightful owners neglected her. She just didn't have someone who was looking out for her interest.

A year or so later, the ex and I decided to move in together. Both his cat and Cac were coming with us, but I was insistent that I wanted to adopt my own cat. The ex told me that I was crazy, that Cac was the perfect cat for me, and if I still wanted to adopt another cat after a week around her, he wouldn't fight me.

From the very first day that we moved in, I realized that I would never bring up adopting 'my own" cat again. Within hours of being in the new apartment, Cac had decided that I was her person. She became my constant companion; if I was on the couch, she was curled up in my arms. If I was at the computer, she was sleeping on my leg. If I was in the bath, well..she wasn't actually in there with me, but she was watching me from a distance that she was comfortable with. When the ex and I broke up, you better believe that she stayed with me.

She is seriously the best little thing in the world, and I don't think anything has ever loved me so unconditionally, or wanted to be with me every second of the day the way that she does. She's like a really loyal puppy dog in a soft, kitty package. If I leave the house, even for one minute, she is waiting expectantly for me at the door. I love her so much and I'm so glad that I could share a little bit of her with you guys, and get to know your black kitty cats as well.

On a side note, have any of you ever known a racist animal? My childhood dog was a black Chihuahua-Dachshund mix, and if she met a black dog or cat, they were her instant friends, yet she absolutely refused to even acknowledge any animal that wasn't black. It was really sad because my aunt had a beagle named Ben that wanted to play with her so badly, but she would just snub him so hard and go snuggle with their black Pit-bull/Rottweiler mix instead. Is their rampant racism in the animal world, or was my pup just a jerk?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I am a cat racist.

Plus interloper:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

superkittenhugs posted:

On a side note, have any of you ever known a racist animal?
Yes, my little black cat, and the neighbours black cats. They only like other black cats, all other colour cats can go to hell as far as they're concerned. It's like a reverse Kitty Klan :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Here is 'my' black cat Eddie, who we're fostering for a local rescue. We've had him since about 12 weeks and he's grown into a handsome boy. He likes to get chased by his grey brother, sleep in my dog's crate, and stare at my tortie Rita because she doesn't like him.

As a baby.

Modeling a dog jumper for me.

6-Ethyl Bearcat fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 11, 2012

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Being bleached brown by the sun still counts, right?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Not my cat but relevant to this thread

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Koala Food posted:

Being bleached brown by the sun still counts, right?

This is such a beautiful cat! Is it a male or female? It really has a masculine look to him/her, but maybe only because that second picture is so deliciously regal looking.

Rusty! posted:

Yes, my little black cat, and the neighbours black cats. They only like other black cats, all other colour cats can go to hell as far as they're concerned. It's like a reverse Kitty Klan :3:

Haha, what in the world could possibly cause this? Are animals aware of their own color? Can they even tell the difference between black and darker shades of brown and grey?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
How is Marvel not in this thread yet? :P

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

superkittenhugs posted:

This is such a beautiful cat! Is it a male or female? It really has a masculine look to him/her, but maybe only because that second picture is so deliciously regal looking.

Her name is Sadie. She is actually a super tiny little girl, but I guess her petiteness takes away from the roundish face my other girl cats have had.

Also, Marvel is special enough to have his own thread.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Reviving the thread to introduce you all to Bingley! I adopted him on Friday and am so happy and amazed by him. He's just over a year old, very vocal (the humane society said he is an oriental shorthair), totally affectionate, playful and has an amazing purr.

Yeah, he has one white whisker. Love it.

And you may have noticed the shaved spot on his leg. When he was brought into the humane society, his back left leg was badly broken. They don't know how it happened, he was found that way. After a few days, they decided they needed to amputate as the damage was too bad. So yeah, he's a tripod. He had surgery on the June 18th. He doesn't seem to miss the leg one bit. He jumps on everything, chases toys, etc. Just a few wobbles with balance now and again. I will be happy when his fur grows back though. Stump pics ahead.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Aww, lookit that long face. He's a beautiful black tripod. :)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Love that mongo white whisker :3:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
My mother runs a cat rescue (up here in Scotland) and has noticed the same thing. There are currently 4 pure blacks waiting on homes, them being very timid tamed ferals doesn't help - try getting someone to take a cat that is underneath a sofa.

Some people ring up with the weirdest requirements too, like they expect to be able to order something off the shelf. Like they won't take anything older than X weeks, must be female (but it's going to be neutered so why?), must be a grey tabby. We had one insane woman who insisted it must also have pink paw pads... I don't know how my mother stays so calm talking to them, makes me grind my teeth and want to scream "character is all you moron, the cat's colour is irrelevant".

One of the 4 waiting at the moment I'd take if my current two weren't old and set in their ways. He's a gorgeous big black lad we've called panther. Oddly enough no-one wants the grey girl either /shrug no pleasing folk it seems.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Ratzap posted:

My mother runs a cat rescue (up here in Scotland) and has noticed the same thing. There are currently 4 pure blacks waiting on homes, them being very timid tamed ferals doesn't help - try getting someone to take a cat that is underneath a sofa.

Some people ring up with the weirdest requirements too, like they expect to be able to order something off the shelf. Like they won't take anything older than X weeks, must be female (but it's going to be neutered so why?), must be a grey tabby. We had one insane woman who insisted it must also have pink paw pads... I don't know how my mother stays so calm talking to them, makes me grind my teeth and want to scream "character is all you moron, the cat's colour is irrelevant".

One of the 4 waiting at the moment I'd take if my current two weren't old and set in their ways. He's a gorgeous big black lad we've called panther. Oddly enough no-one wants the grey girl either /shrug no pleasing folk it seems.

Maybe they have a name they really like and it only works for a certain color/gender? Maybe the ultra specific stuff like pink paw pads is someone trying to buy an exact duplicate of cat they used to have?

Regardless, both times I went to the shelter to adopt a cat (I have two) I really wanted an orange tabby for some reason, but ended up with a brown tabby and a pure black cat. I just ended up liking their personalities.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Ratzap posted:

This makes me so mad, as do people that buy pure breed kittens. A pet is not a loving accessory, it is like adopting a child. A cat should be like a member of the family or a very close friend; do people really only cherish their loved ones because they are physically attractive?

Now that I'm the owner of a cat that was an adult once I got her, I don't even know why anyone would want a kitten if given the choice. There is no way to tell what type of personality a kitten will have, where as with an adult cat, what you see is what you get. I just can't understand why someone would care what the cat looks like. It's obviously nice to have a cute kitty that everyone fawns over, but my parents cat is absolutely gorgeous, and a maniac hell beast. I'll take the ugly cat that loves to hug any day.

Also, JimmydaFish, you are a really great person. A lot of people would look at a cat with a missing leg and see him as defective, or too much trouble. I, for one, agree that his one white whisker is drat adorable, and I'm sure that he will have a wonderful, hoppy life you. Thanks for reaffirming that there are still people out there who become pet owners because they love and care for animals.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

superkittenhugs posted:

This makes me so mad, as do people that buy pure breed kittens. A pet is not a loving accessory, it is like adopting a child. A cat should be like a member of the family or a very close friend; do people really only cherish their loved ones because they are physically attractive?

There's nothing wrong with wanting a pretty cat, chill out. There's nothing really wrong with wanting an orange cat or a grey cat or anything either. It's just lame to go to a shelter and have unreasonably specific expectations for cat colors.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Terrible quality picture, but here is mine (click for larger):

Rescued her as a stray runt about two weeks old. Almost died a couple weeks later due to a major flea infestation the she brought with her. However, SQ fluid injections and countless hours of flea removal saved her.

Here is her as a young African American:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Wildebeest posted:

That is the poster kitty for :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Wildebeest posted:

You must have a strong willpower to resist giving a kitty with that face whatever she wants and then some :3: