Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'll take a photos over the weekend when I'm down at my mothers. She has 3 new all black kittens (about 5 weeks), panther, rosa, rita and lotus (all black). Oh and Perry out in the pens (he does not play nice with other cats). Well, I will if I can get them to pose...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

There's nothing wrong with wanting a pretty cat, chill out. There's nothing really wrong with wanting an orange cat or a grey cat or anything either. It's just lame to go to a shelter and have unreasonably specific expectations for cat colors.

I was saying that it's wrong to focus completely on the physical attributes of a pet to the exclusion of all else. That's kind of how we've gotten to the point that animals are being intentionally bred with medical problems. I didn't realize that would be a controversial stance to take, or maybe I just ranted too much and didn't make myself clear. If that's the case, sorry, I do tend to get worked up to the point of distraction by the subject.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Does Mini count as a Black Cat? He's got a bit of grey and a white bib on him... :ohdear:

Well, even if he doesn't count as a black cat, he is my Cat and I love him dearly. We got him from a work colleague of my mum's, and he was the smallest kitten in the litter. He has since grown up to be very big- he weighs about 6 kgs now!

He likes getting into the rubbish bin, which could explain why he's so big.

And since Tuxedo Cats are allowed, here's Kaylee.

We got her from the SPCA a few years ago, and she is the sweetest cat. She hates being picked up, and isn't very bright, but when she feels like cuddles, she won't leave you alone.
Edit: She's now asleep at the end of my bed and is snoring in a snuffly way :3:

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 7, 2012

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
On Monday I will get to join in the black cat picture party. I have a shelter kitty who needed a friend, so now that we're finally in a situation where we can get another cat, we got all ready to go and went to pick out a cat. We picked one! He's a big, beautiful older black fella. Is giant, but is known to snuggle with other kitties, which was a requirement. I really wanted to get a cat that wouldn't have much of a chance at getting adopted otherwise, so I turned down all the orange tabby 1-year-old mellow guys and opted for an older (5-8ish) black fella.

He has an enormous butt, and any time you pick him up he has to have his front legs over your shoulder. Then he'll purr and purr and give you headbutts on the side of your head. He's super :3:.

BUT I can't have him until Monday. <:mad:> The dental tech fell ill early in the week, and then with the holiday in the middle of the week, she won't be back in until Monday. Once I have his furry little butt home, I will take as many pictures as I can until he hides under something for the first few days.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am not a cat racist. This is Hal, he's about 6 years old. I adopted him about two years ago from a foster home, and he's been absolutely wonderful.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've been lurking in this thread a long time, but I've never actually posted anything. This needs to be rectified. Say hello to our resident panther, Meyer:

Meyer is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but we love him anyway. We adopted him about a year ago from our local shelter's "Feline Friday" cat-clearance event, along with his tragically non-black co-cat Luke; he was 2 years old then, and I suspect he was a stray, since he was only fixed a couple of months before we got him. He's a friendly boy but is still developing his living-with people skills, most notably staying on a lap without falling off. (He likes to stretch out, and he's pretty long, so he'll get his hind legs dangling and then the rest of him will follow.) Meyer is also a gigantic food mooch, although less so than when we got him. Here he is a couple of months after we got him, covered in cheez dust after a bad human-snack-investigation decision, complete with a pile of roleplaying manuals in the background to make it totally meyerisagoon.jpg:

He also really likes hanging around in my boyfriend's office/studio, despite the fact that it's probably the worst place in the apartment for him to be. Here he is saying hello to my boyfriend's new electric piano (in a super-huge photo, so click to make big):

Unfortunately, we're both pretty bad photographers, so apologies for the crap images. I will try to improve, because, y'know, postin' cat pictures on the Internet is important.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Pics as promised. New cat is home! There has been some hissing from Bug, my tabby cat, but no ruffled fur or taking swings at him. He's in her bed right now, and she is laying under my chair :catstare:.

He does not have a forever name yet. I will apologize for my photography up front. It's dark in my apartment, and I was trying not to scare him.

Isn't he handsome?

New Catte by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

And derpy.

Derp by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Blurry cat loaf.

Loaf by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

He found the comfy chair.

House by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Perfect :catstare:.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

cptn_dr posted:

Does Mini count as a Black Cat? He's got a bit of grey and a white bib on him... :ohdear:

Well, even if he doesn't count as a black cat, he is my Cat and I love him dearly. We got him from a work colleague of my mum's, and he was the smallest kitten in the litter. He has since grown up to be very big- he weighs about 6 kgs now!

He likes getting into the rubbish bin, which could explain why he's so big.

And since Tuxedo Cats are allowed, here's Kaylee.

We got her from the SPCA a few years ago, and she is the sweetest cat. She hates being picked up, and isn't very bright, but when she feels like cuddles, she won't leave you alone.
Edit: She's now asleep at the end of my bed and is snoring in a snuffly way :3:

He absolutely counts. Both beautiful cats.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
From last weekend, I didn't get them all but managed to snap most of them.

Rita and Rosa, sisters from a litter that came in from a back garden. Both pretty timid but Rita will let people stroke her. They both have faint stripes like a dark grey on black tabby, odd markings.

Panther. Lovely big lad, he came in with 5 others from the Isle of Uist about a year ago. Very easily spooked but he's an affectionate cat once he knows you. He has a white spot on his chest and a white patch on his belly 8)

Perry. Rough dirty old man from up round Leadhills. He no longer stinks since he's neutered but being stray for presumably most of his 10+ years has left him a habitual fighter. That's why he's out in one of the pens while we look for a home for him.

Those are the long term fosters that are in at the moment.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This is Marley, he was up for homing for ages then my mother decided to stop putting up ads for him and took him over. He spends a lot of time outdoors hunting rabbits, a hangover from his time up Elvanfoot way as a stray (almost 2 years through some nasty winters before someone took pity and rang in). He's been abused at some point like most strays, he's very wary but coming round now after 3 years of continued 'nothing bad happening'

This is Lotus (warning, sad story). She was shot 4 times with an airgun aged 1, her owners got the wounds patched up but left the slugs in (her front left leg is paralysed) and worse, they didn't get her spayed. So she had 3 litters of kittens with a bad leg and she's a dinky little cat too, barely 3kg. She was handed in as her owners were having another child and didn't want more kittens appearing...
First off she was spayed, no more pumping out kittens. Plus while she was out they removed 3 of the pellets, 1 was pressing on a nerve and had to stay put. Initially she was up for homing but no-one was interested and we decided to keep her where we knew she'd be safe. Now 4 years on she's finally getting over all the trauma, she runs around playing with toys, she can climb trees and she's regained some use of her leg. She has a disconcerting habit of licking you when you stroke her and has trouble grooming fully (so she has to be brushed) but she's a sweet little cat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Look who's just jumped up to say hi. It's Kaylee! :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ratzap posted:

This is Marley, he was up for homing for ages then my mother decided to stop putting up ads for him and took him over. He spends a lot of time outdoors hunting rabbits, a hangover from his time up Elvanfoot way as a stray (almost 2 years through some nasty winters before someone took pity and rang in). He's been abused at some point like most strays, he's very wary but coming round now after 3 years of continued 'nothing bad happening'

This is Lotus (warning, sad story). She was shot 4 times with an airgun aged 1, her owners got the wounds patched up but left the slugs in (her front left leg is paralysed) and worse, they didn't get her spayed. So she had 3 litters of kittens with a bad leg and she's a dinky little cat too, barely 3kg. She was handed in as her owners were having another child and didn't want more kittens appearing...
First off she was spayed, no more pumping out kittens. Plus while she was out they removed 3 of the pellets, 1 was pressing on a nerve and had to stay put. Initially she was up for homing but no-one was interested and we decided to keep her where we knew she'd be safe. Now 4 years on she's finally getting over all the trauma, she runs around playing with toys, she can climb trees and she's regained some use of her leg. She has a disconcerting habit of licking you when you stroke her and has trouble grooming fully (so she has to be brushed) but she's a sweet little cat.

What a little sweetie cat, poor thing. She's in similar size and facial porportions to my own cat. Same too-long back claws too. :3: I hope someone comes along and gives her a good home.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kerfuffle posted:

What a little sweetie cat, poor thing. She's in similar size and facial porportions to my own cat. Same too-long back claws too. :3: I hope someone comes along and gives her a good home.

Those two are both my mothers now, she's not trying to home them any more. Basically anything that takes more than a year to home and fits in with the rest ends up moving to the permanent side of the register ;)

Her claws grow out because she splays her legs a bit to balance while running so they don't get worn like they should. Holding her to clip them a couple of times a year is not fun, she wriggles like crazy :)

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Kitty in "not a black blob" shocker:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz............

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

I just pulled this black cat from the local shelter and is my newest foster cat (who will probably end up being a perm. member).

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Karjia posted:

I just pulled this black cat from the local shelter and is my newest foster cat (who will probably end up being a perm. member).

Just don't be surprised if you start getting followed by a horny skunk with a cheesy accent

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Karjia posted:

Wow, that is a very cool looking cat. I've never seen one with such a coat pattern.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JimmydaFish posted:

Wow, that is a very cool looking cat. I've never seen one with such a coat pattern.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I did a double take thinking it was paint or fungus or something. Never seen a coat like that before, well nifty.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I did a double take thinking it was paint or fungus or something. Never seen a coat like that before, well nifty.

It does look a lot like someone spattered paint over her, or kind of like the spotting on a fawn's coat. I honestly have never seen anything like it either.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
She's gorgeous. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
She looks like a tortie but with no orange whatsoever. I've never seen that ever, it's super cute. :3: Paging color genetics expert people to this thread for some insight.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
The big Guide to Housecat Coat Colors and Patterns pdf has a "brindled bicolor" under the "Freak patterns, Seen in a very few cases, usually due to chance mutation" section. It describes the pattern as a "Tortoiseshell pattern where the patches that should be red are white, as if the red pigment couldn't be produced." In other words, it seems like some kind of genetic mutation that completely turned off the red pigment production. (Makes sense, given that white color is actually the suppression of the expression of a color gene.)

In other words, that is a very unusual, very special cat. :3: And very cute too.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Can cats get an equivalent of measles or chicken pox? It almost looks like a freakish fever coat.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
This is Larsson - an extremely sweet cat with a broken meower...

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Robo Kitty posted:

The big Guide to Housecat Coat Colors and Patterns pdf has a "brindled bicolor" under the "Freak patterns, Seen in a very few cases, usually due to chance mutation" section. It describes the pattern as a "Tortoiseshell pattern where the patches that should be red are white, as if the red pigment couldn't be produced." In other words, it seems like some kind of genetic mutation that completely turned off the red pigment production. (Makes sense, given that white color is actually the suppression of the expression of a color gene.)

In other words, that is a very unusual, very special cat. :3: And very cute too.

Isn't there a goon's cat that had a similar coat and was an XXY? (Or whatever the chromosome combo is to get a tortie male) Or did I make that up?

Either way, gorgeous kitty. I recommend the name "Speckle"

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Shebrew posted:

Isn't there a goon's cat that had a similar coat and was an XXY? (Or whatever the chromosome combo is to get a tortie male) Or did I make that up?

Either way, gorgeous kitty. I recommend the name "Speckle"

Are you thinking of RazorBunny's old cat Charlie?

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Kerfuffle posted:

Are you thinking of RazorBunny's old cat Charlie?

I think that was it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I love my black cat, although he is far too mischievous.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 15, 2012

theturbulentone
Aug 24, 2008
This is George.

He's 10 weeks old, mother was a stray who abandoned a litter of 6 (3 black males, 1 black female, 2 tabbies on of each gender) and so the litter was hand reared. When we went to pick him up, the two girls were gone, but the woman was having real problems adopting out the black males.

He's incredibly sweet and gentle, really affectionate. He likes to be curled up asleep within arms reach of a human, preferably on a lap so he can get regular petting. We only adopted him yesterday, but he settled in immediately, and purrs and kneads pretty much constantly, even in his sleep.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Go pick up those other two you know you want to~ :3:

theturbulentone
Aug 24, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

Go pick up those other two you know you want to~ :3:

I really do! I tried to persuade the husband but he wasn't sold on the idea of a whole brood of mewling panthers, cause he has no heart or soul obviously.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Always loved cats but grew up in an apartment where we couldn't have one. Well a group of friends from work said if I managed to earn and early promotion they would get me a cat. Well I got the early promotion but deployed immediately after and have spent the last few months in this dump. Well last Friday I got a text completely out of the blue that I am now the proud owner of this around 9 week old little guy http://imgur.com/7H1bO . I named him Wolf on Sunday and I just hope he's still atleast kind of kitten sized when I get back home in a few more months. Wolf pics http://imgur.com/sCEle , http://imgur.com/SPETS .

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wolf is gorgeous! He looks like he's gonna grow up to be a wolf-cat, too -- that face is downright feral. Congrats!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Here's my parents' cat, Dusty. He is the feline equivalent of an obese, decadent Roman emperor.

He also looks like a giant hairy pupa.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Karjia posted:

I'm pretty sure the previous owner of that cat used a spraybottle of peroxide for training instead of water :stare:

(It's really really cool and I am jealous)

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Meet Kyuss.

My roommate(s - I got Kyuss the summer before my sophomore year of college, so needless to say he's moved around quite a bit and lived with a large crowd of people) and I made it our goal to take as many hosed-up photos of this stupid cat as possible. He happily obliges.

When the living situation permits (which has been two of his four years of existence), Kyuss is an outdoor cat. He's also a straight-up boss and absolutely terrorized the neighborhood cats around our old house. This is a photo of the time we tried to catsit for a friend; needless to say, we found somewhere else for Archer to go:

(The picture doesn't really show it, but Archer was significantly larger than Kyuss.)

Finally, cat and owner. I've never been as close to any pet as I am Kyuss; on my end, his being my first pet after moving out of my parents' place helps a lot and on his end, he's lived with around ten different people but I've been the only consistent thing in his life since he was a kitten. He and I have a bond like no other, I swear I can speak to this cat and I'm more than a little certain he's a human under a curse (would it be?) that's made him a cat. His reaction to other people tends to follow my own, liking people I do and the inverse, which is pretty funny to watch.

Edit: He's named after a band whose guitar player plays through a bass amp and the entire sound is very bass-heavy; he was named just because I love the band and it seemed like a good cat name, but I quickly discovered he loves to sit on subwoofers when I listen to metal. He does to this day - I don't really listen to metal anymore, but it's a cool parlor trick to be able to put on a song and the cat hops right on top of my sub.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 19, 2012

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

theturbulentone posted:

I really do! I tried to persuade the husband but he wasn't sold on the idea of a whole brood of mewling panthers, cause he has no heart or soul obviously.

Trick him! The old "George would be better off with a buddy if/when we're both gone, so he's not lonely" would probably work. ;)

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

superkittenhugs posted:

On a side note, have any of you ever known a racist animal?

I have known several racist horses. They mostly seem to be prejudiced against grays. I know this because my main horse for years was a gray and I had to sometimes let new horses get used to him, they were all freaked out. I had one riding buddy years ago whose horse never got comfortable around him even though we rode together almost daily for like 2 years. Never noticed it in any other species though.

On topic, I found of a picture of my black cat while I was looking through pictures for my other thread. I am not sure if I've posted it before, but I think I have. Regardless, here is Bagheera as a teenager:

He really likes sinks for some reason, even as an adult. I think he considers them cat beds. He likes water too oddly enough (sometimes I give him showers with the kitchen sink sprayer thing) so it can be hard to discourage him. As a result I wind up going through more Drano than I should in his favorite sinks, because cat hair apparently is not good for drains. The bathroom in the picture however was totally non-functional anyway (yay for poorly maintained prefabs--it was farm housing at the place my husband and I worked) so we just let him turn it into a cat bed pretty much.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I never get why people don't adopt black cats. My two boys are the last from a litter of like 6 of tuxedo cats but they both turned out solid black. Hands down two of the best cats I have ever had.