Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Here's Alli, our foster kitty / soon to be our kitty officially if things work out.

She has her own thread elsewhere in the forums, but I'll take any excuse to post pictures and gush about her like a little schoolgirl.

We decided to foster Alli partly because she was a black cat - not because I have a preference for black cats, but because that was one of several things making her harder to place, according to the agency.

Alli is also a semi-feral kitty who is blind in one eye, so I guess being black was the least of her "problems."

Here she is at the shelter when she was first captured off the streets - you can see the scarring on her face and the fact that her left eye is damaged.

Here you can see how emaciated she was.

A month of us fostering her later, she's still thin and a little skittish, but now she's just a happy little fuzzball!

She has a little white patch on her chest, so she's not purely black, but she still qualifies. :colbert:

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Sasarella posted:

All four:

I like your cat shelves! We're looking for a way to give Alli somewhere to climb without getting on our bookshelves and breaking our nicknacks and picture frames. Do these give them enough of an outlet for their climbing and perching urges or are they still climbing places you'd rather they not?

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Sasarella posted:

We have this downstairs, and another one of the tall, skinny poles upstairs that leads them to five kitty baskets on top of our Armoire.

Yes, all of this really keeps them off of everything else. At least so far :)

*edit!* Also, thanks. I am really pleased with how the kitty corner turned out. With five cats, dee eight's cat nip and a kitty corner, we have fine entertainment most nights here :)

Glad to hear that they work well.

Over the weekend we bought Alli a cat tower. So far she seems more scared of it than anything else, but I hope she'll warm up to it. Parts are wrapped in Sisal, so I'm hoping this will take some of the strain off of our furniture.

EDIT: A sidenote, Alli has a small, diamond shaped patch of white on her chest. So I guess she's technically a tuxedo. Maddeningly, though, I have no photos that show it - it's always hidden behind her chin or something.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 8, 2011

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

ChairmanMeow posted:

keeping an eye on the thread

This is darkness.

Based on this photo, I would be scared shitless to have this thing in my house. Waiting. Watching me.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Elotana posted:

hey blaine how do you feel about chin scratches

D'aww. That's the face that Alli makes if she's just groomed herself, but has forgotten to look dignified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Kruller posted:

He's a bit of a chore, though, because I work nights, so when I'm awake the house is dark, and I have a dark couch, and a very large desk that is black on the bottom, so much of my time is spent asking my dog where the cat is. She usually knows.

Last night I got up at about 3 to get some water from downstairs. When I got downstairs, Alli wasn't curled up in her usual spot on the couch, and I couldn't hear her, so I got confused :confused:. I was about to shrug it off, when I got this weird irrational feeling of being hunted, like I was in a Predator movie.

Picture me, a full grown man, creeping nervously through the house, warily on the lookout for a 7 pound cat.

Not in the kitchen, not in the laundry room, not in her litter box . . . odd . . . let's just the get the water and go back upstairs :iiam:, OK turn arou-FUCKSHITASS - she had snuck up behind me from the stairs. Apparently she was upstairs and I had just walked right past her without seeing her.

Kitty doesn't want to be fed, kitty wants to hunt.

Last week, right after my girlfriend woke up, she went out into the loft. The cat was standing about ten feet away, but against a dark blue background. My girlfriend's vision is so bad without her glasses that she could only see the cat when she opened her mouth.