Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
I would like to introduce you to my little black fluff face, and tell you a bit about her.

This is Cac-Kac (pronounced like the first part of the word Khaki. Khak-Khak.). She was named as such because this is the noise that she makes instead of a normal meow.

She also goes by the names Khaki, Banana, Nana, Nan and Little Black Bear.

Cac was not originally my cat. My ex-fiance's mother's somewhat feral cat had a litter of kittens, and Cac was the most feral out of the bunch. My ex's sister Sarah coaxed her out of a tree that she had managed to get herself stuck in, and adopted her. Sarah was someone who loved to keep pets. Unfortunately, she was absolute poo poo at taking care of animals. She was reported on several occasions by concerned neighbors over neglect of a dog that she kept tied up outside without a water dish (during a hot southern summer), and she had never house broken her indoor dog so the poor thing used the bathroom inside constantly (and was then scolded for doing so.).

Luckily, right after she had brought Cac home, my ex was kicked out of his home and moved in with her. He had a cat of his own (and was an exceptionally good pet owner), and once he saw that Cac wasn't being fed regularly or given any attention, he took it upon himself to care for her. Still, she wasn't really his cat, and her rightful owners neglected her. She just didn't have someone who was looking out for her interest.

A year or so later, the ex and I decided to move in together. Both his cat and Cac were coming with us, but I was insistent that I wanted to adopt my own cat. The ex told me that I was crazy, that Cac was the perfect cat for me, and if I still wanted to adopt another cat after a week around her, he wouldn't fight me.

From the very first day that we moved in, I realized that I would never bring up adopting 'my own" cat again. Within hours of being in the new apartment, Cac had decided that I was her person. She became my constant companion; if I was on the couch, she was curled up in my arms. If I was at the computer, she was sleeping on my leg. If I was in the bath, well..she wasn't actually in there with me, but she was watching me from a distance that she was comfortable with. When the ex and I broke up, you better believe that she stayed with me.

She is seriously the best little thing in the world, and I don't think anything has ever loved me so unconditionally, or wanted to be with me every second of the day the way that she does. She's like a really loyal puppy dog in a soft, kitty package. If I leave the house, even for one minute, she is waiting expectantly for me at the door. I love her so much and I'm so glad that I could share a little bit of her with you guys, and get to know your black kitty cats as well.

On a side note, have any of you ever known a racist animal? My childhood dog was a black Chihuahua-Dachshund mix, and if she met a black dog or cat, they were her instant friends, yet she absolutely refused to even acknowledge any animal that wasn't black. It was really sad because my aunt had a beagle named Ben that wanted to play with her so badly, but she would just snub him so hard and go snuggle with their black Pit-bull/Rottweiler mix instead. Is their rampant racism in the animal world, or was my pup just a jerk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Koala Food posted:

Being bleached brown by the sun still counts, right?

This is such a beautiful cat! Is it a male or female? It really has a masculine look to him/her, but maybe only because that second picture is so deliciously regal looking.

Rusty! posted:

Yes, my little black cat, and the neighbours black cats. They only like other black cats, all other colour cats can go to hell as far as they're concerned. It's like a reverse Kitty Klan :3:

Haha, what in the world could possibly cause this? Are animals aware of their own color? Can they even tell the difference between black and darker shades of brown and grey?

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Ratzap posted:

My mother runs a cat rescue (up here in Scotland) and has noticed the same thing. There are currently 4 pure blacks waiting on homes, them being very timid tamed ferals doesn't help - try getting someone to take a cat that is underneath a sofa.

Some people ring up with the weirdest requirements too, like they expect to be able to order something off the shelf. Like they won't take anything older than X weeks, must be female (but it's going to be neutered so why?), must be a grey tabby. We had one insane woman who insisted it must also have pink paw pads... I don't know how my mother stays so calm talking to them, makes me grind my teeth and want to scream "character is all you moron, the cat's colour is irrelevant".

One of the 4 waiting at the moment I'd take if my current two weren't old and set in their ways. He's a gorgeous big black lad we've called panther. Oddly enough no-one wants the grey girl either /shrug no pleasing folk it seems.

This makes me so mad, as do people that buy pure breed kittens. A pet is not a loving accessory, it is like adopting a child. A cat should be like a member of the family or a very close friend; do people really only cherish their loved ones because they are physically attractive?

Now that I'm the owner of a cat that was an adult once I got her, I don't even know why anyone would want a kitten if given the choice. There is no way to tell what type of personality a kitten will have, where as with an adult cat, what you see is what you get. I just can't understand why someone would care what the cat looks like. It's obviously nice to have a cute kitty that everyone fawns over, but my parents cat is absolutely gorgeous, and a maniac hell beast. I'll take the ugly cat that loves to hug any day.

Also, JimmydaFish, you are a really great person. A lot of people would look at a cat with a missing leg and see him as defective, or too much trouble. I, for one, agree that his one white whisker is drat adorable, and I'm sure that he will have a wonderful, hoppy life you. Thanks for reaffirming that there are still people out there who become pet owners because they love and care for animals.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

There's nothing wrong with wanting a pretty cat, chill out. There's nothing really wrong with wanting an orange cat or a grey cat or anything either. It's just lame to go to a shelter and have unreasonably specific expectations for cat colors.

I was saying that it's wrong to focus completely on the physical attributes of a pet to the exclusion of all else. That's kind of how we've gotten to the point that animals are being intentionally bred with medical problems. I didn't realize that would be a controversial stance to take, or maybe I just ranted too much and didn't make myself clear. If that's the case, sorry, I do tend to get worked up to the point of distraction by the subject.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I did a double take thinking it was paint or fungus or something. Never seen a coat like that before, well nifty.

It does look a lot like someone spattered paint over her, or kind of like the spotting on a fawn's coat. I honestly have never seen anything like it either.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

tasukiscool posted:

I've been going through nineteen years of pictures of my kitty who passed away this year. I had forgotten how much she loved Christmas trees.

These are all from different years. Black cats really are the best cats.

She is lovely, and I'm very sorry for your loss. Just a suggestion, but once some time has passed, it might be a good idea to think about adopting another kitty (black or otherwise). A needy animal gets a good home, and you get a friend to help you better deal with your loss. It's a win-win.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Christoph posted:

Thank you for the condolences. I took some flowers (she loved digging up my garden), wrapped them in her collar and put them at the intersection. She'll also be getting a memorial somehow, somewhere. Possibly stone, possibly in the form of a tattoo.

Just wanted to offer my condolences as well. I know exactly what you mean about never having meshed with anything so well; I feel exactly the same way about my little bug. If I had only gotten to have her in my life for a few months...well, I just can't imagine the sadness of it. I'll definitely be keeping you and your family (as well as your wonderful neighbor) in my thoughts for the foreseeable future.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
Hate to break it to you Shifty Pony, but Sadie will one day be mine. You can have visitation once a month.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

nexous posted:

Facebook has grown tired of my crazy cat man posts.

My black domestic housecat, Fiona.

Really good at fetch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU8bcBbITAM
Perilously inquisitive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDTlyUSPwc
Chasing her own tail: vid
When I first got her: pic look how tiny she is!
Kitten scarf: pic
She sleeps in my pants, any time I leave them on the ground: pic

Probably the smartest, most loving cat I've ever met. But also the most clumsy.

Bonus cat Hitler: pic

Ok crazy cat man post fulfilled.

I have to say, that first video is kind of amazing. I have never seen a cat play fetch so consistently. Pretty drat cute.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
Haha, oh man he is drat adorable! Obviously you wouldn't want him to have gotten hurt in the first place, but doesn't a small part of you wish that it had stayed that way?

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

The March Hare posted:

Just put in an application to adopt this little dude, her brother was already adopted so he's out of the running unfortunately. Hopefully I can post further in this thread once she is making a ruckus in my apartment!

e; Just got a call from the lovely woman I'm adopting from and I got her! So excited, I'm going out to buy supplies tomorrow and am picking her up on Wednesday -- pictures to follow :)

Congrats! What a lovely little girl. Gotta love that hammock chill face.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Candy Dawn posted:

Black cats are the best. My little Prospero was found behind my house by the garbage. Barely old enough to leave his mama he comes running right up to me, meowing all the way. I was instantly in love and he is, hands down, the best cat I have ever had. He's sweet and cuddly and super affectionate and very brave which I LOVE. He's my sweet baby. Almost lost him last month due to a urinary blockage, I am so happy he is still with us!

He loves his harness and I take him for little walks around my front porch occasionally.

The relationship that you have with a cat that has chosen you rather than the other way around is incredibly difficult to explain to someone who has never experienced it. It is such an intense bond, one that feels less like a pet/master relationship and more like a true friendship or parent/child relationship. I'm sure that sounds ridiculously stupid to many people, but everyone I've ever met who has been in the situation seems to agree. It sounds as if Prospero choose you, so I'm wondering if you feel similarly?

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean to imply that all other pet/owner relationships are somehow less special than one in which the pet chooses you. Every kitty loves their owner as long as they are loved in return. Especially black cats, cause they are amazing!

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Absolute Evil posted:

I know this wasn't directed at me...but THIS. A hundred times this. I love my black cat and dog that I adopted from the shelter. But Elmer, my orange cat, who chose me by jumping on my back when I was bending down to pick up another cat, he means the world to me. If I'm at the computer, he's on the back of my chair. If I'm in bed, he's forcing me to share my pillow, If I take a shower, he's in the bathroom with me, having a conversation with me. It astounds me how I lived without him before and terrifies me that I'll someday be without him. I have two (human) children who always joke that Elmer is my 3rd (favored) child who actually listens to me. I always scoffed at "crazy cat ladies" who were so deeply involved with their cats and then I met this furry little shithead. I now understand and revel in my cat-insanity. :3:

I think you snuck into my house, monitored my relationship with Cac-Kac, and then co-opted our story as your own. Seriously though, like I said previously, all pet relationships are awesome, but for me, I've never felt anything like this with any other animal. It almost seems like when they choose you, they become sort of obsessed with you. If I leave the house, Cac sits at the door waiting for me to return. If she isn't laying on or next to me (which she is around 95% of the time), then she's staring at me from wherever she's sitting. I'm gonna take a nap? Well, move over lady cause there is zero chance that you aren't going to be sharing the bed/pillow with a black ball of fluff. There is no escaping her affection, but that's fine because I'm just as obsessed with her as she is with me.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Blinks posted:

Like I said, the cat doesn't have to choose you for you to have an amazing bond with it. Arthur is my pal and kept me sane living on my own before my fiance relocated permanently from London.

TL;DR - Arthur walked away from me on our first meeting, ended up loving me anyway.

It's awesome that you saw that a kitty needed a home, and even though he wasn't instantly super warmed up to you, you took him on home with you. You did what was best for him rather than thinking only of your self, and that is incredibly heart warming. I had already decided that when Cac passes on (which will happen never because NO), I would absolutely be adopting an adult shelter cat, but your story has made it all the more certain. Thanks for being such a good person.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
It is absolutely a fantastic idea to adopt a black cat. I think its been mentioned in this thread before, but black cats are something like 50% less likely to be adopted than their lighter colored feline brethren (except around Halloween because "Oh my gawd! A black cat at Halloween is suchhhh a cute and original idea!!!"). Thankfully, many adoption shelters don't offer black cats up for adoption during a two week period before Halloween for this very reason.

But yeah. Black cats are just like every other cat. They all have their own distinct personality and affection level. However, I will say that every black cat I have ever interacted with has been especially warm and loving. If you want to give a black cat a good home, I suggest just going around to your local shelters and spending time with a few of them. I'm certain that at least one of them will be a good fit for you. If not, there are plenty of other, less black kitties that need loving homes as well. Good luck!

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Zezary posted:

I never understood why some people just hate black cats, when I was young some asshat cut the tail off of my black cat, i still hope to this day I find out who it was so i can kick their rear end.

Was the cat okay? My parents had a horrible demon of a grey cat when I was a baby that someone shot the tail off of. Even though she was unquestionably the spawn of Satan, it still makes me angry that someone would hurt an animal like that. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Royal Hammer posted:

Rambo has Feline Schizophrenia, so she makes scary noises and dashes around for no reason. We still love her, though!

Did not realize that there was such a thing as Feline Schizophrenia. I'm amazed that it has never been mentioned offhandedly in any of my psychology classes. Do you use any of the depression or anxiety medications, or anti-convulsant therapy? Poor little kitty.