Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

One of the coolest cats I ever had growing up was a Maine Coon cat named Spooky - almost entirely black, but for a white swirl on his chest and spot on his face. I seriously wish I had pictures of him on hand - I actually do, but they're not digital since Spooky was around before the advent of digital cameras. I should scan some in.

He was just totally awesome, great personality, amazingly independent. We lived in the woods at the time in Maine and he was the sort of cat who would take off for a couple days at a time with regularity and just go off hunting, being a wild cat o' the woods. We didn't much worry about him since there were no cars where he went, and he could more than take care of himself - he was absolutely enormous, even for a male Maine Coon. He weighed around 25-30 pounds, and he wasn't particularly fat until much later on in his life when he got a little bit overweight. Very gentle but rather aloof - he took himself very seriously, and rightfully so. He viewed himself as our protector, he was like a guard cat. He's still the biggest and most powerful domestic cat I've ever known, I miss him sometimes :( Black/mostly black cats absolutely *rule*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

marshmallard posted:

This makes me sad. Half-price cats should never happen. Who seriously makes the decision to adopt a cat for life based on the initial adoption price? :(

I see your point, but I don't really view it in those terms. It's more like... black cats are harder to place, so we'll give people an additional incentive to adopt them. I doubt anyone is like "Hey let's adopt the cheapest cat possible!", more that black cats need all the help they can get to fight the forces of kitty-racism :( Think of it more like... affirmative cat-tion. Or something.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I love this thread just because there are so many great pics of black cats. It also reminds me of my mom's partner's cat, who lived with us for a long time. He was an all-black cat named Fidel - yes, Fidel, after the Cuban dictator. Great name. He was pretty dim, but the toughest sonofabitch of a cat I'd ever known. He survived so many mortal injuries it was insane, and he never lost his good humor.

He fell off a third-story deck once, broke a leg, wound up fine. He actually survived getting hit head on with a car going 25-30MPH - he wasn't run over but he was hit in the side of the freaking head.... And he was pretty much fine. zhe tended to drool a bit from that side of his mouth and wound up blind in that eye, but it wasn't too bad for what happened. Then he vanished once (he was obviously indoor/outdoor) for over 3 weeks - I found out later he was stuck in someone's garage while they were away. He returned out of the blue on a rainy night, bedraggled, meowing hoarsely and almost soundlessly, total skin and bones and half alive. He survived and a couple months later he was back to his normal weight, happy and carefree as ever.

He lived to be 15. Last year, the poor guy got mauled by a loving rabid raccoon. It's hard not to be too graphic here, so fair warning... but his face was just unrecognizable, it looked like his guts were halfway-hanging out, and there was just blood everywhere. I don't want to describe it in detail. It was probably the most upsettingly tragic and gruesome and awful thing I'd ever seen happen to any animal in real life - I still get nightmares involving that image sometimes. And of course, with all those injuries, Fidel was still alive :smith: We had to rush him to the closest vet and get him put down, it was truly, truly awful. But anyway, like I said, he was tough. And always happy and friendly to everyone, hardly ever raised a paw in anger. Every all-black cat remindw me off him.