Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
We did a 9 Pin No Tap league this summer, and I think we're all going to be really disappointed when our regular season starts next week.

I'm curious if anyone here bowls with a Borg Implant wrist brace like the Storm Gadget and such? I have been battling tendonitis in my ulnar tendon since I started bowling in a league last year and am hoping that it will help out. Otherwise, does anyone have hints on how to keep myself from over-rotating my hand when I release the ball? Pretty sure that is what is causing my tendonitis issues.

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Our league started last week, and.. don't laugh, with a 114, 93, and a 112, I raised my book average of 104 to a 106. Getting used to throwing the ball so I don't torque my wrist and wearing the Gadget is taking some serious getting used to.

On the bright side, my team is actually in first place right now, so that is a small victory :)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
So I've been slowly progressing, have raised that 104 book average up to a 120, but I'm running into a major road block that happens pretty much ONLY when I'm bowling league. For some reason, and I have no idea why because bowling in our league is supposed to be fun, but I bowl TERRIBLE in league. When I'm just out with friends or practicing by myself, I bowl more regularly 140s all the way up to my highest game ever of a 216 a few weeks back. (How many people get upset by bowling a 216? I do, but only because I can't seem to do it in league!)

Do any of you have hints/tips/tricks on how to deal with performance anxiety in league/tournaments? I've tried bowling with my headphones in to tune everything else out, but it physically threw me off with having my phone in my pocket and headphone wires tucked everywhere. I know I'm capable of far more, but get super frustrated when I barely crack 125 with my team.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Scarf posted:

Was at the club last night with some friends just dicking around and managed to throw a 266 (and a few lower 200 games) on relatively dry lanes with a LOT of beer in me... I might have to rethink my "no drinking on league night" policy.

I had an experience similar last night. Managed to bowl my season low game and season high game in the same series, leading to a season series high for me. (92, 155, 171, 418 series.) The only thing that changed? I was so upset by the second game I had a beer, and another in the third. Also started to not care when I'd throw a crappy shot. My team told me to show up half an hour early and get tipsy beforehand if that is what it takes for me to do well.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Here is my brag/sad post for the week.

Ended up bowling a 172, 186 and a 139 (ack!) for a 497 Friday night... but considering I went in with a 122 average, I'm not too upset about the 139. What I am upset about was the fact that I was 9 pins from getting my 140 Over Series pin, and was 3 pins away from a 500 series.

Regardless though, definitely my high series (ever), and high game(s) in a league setting. On top of that, unless something astronomical happened, I'll end up as 3rd highest women's handicap series for the season so far.

My next task is to realize what I was doing to make those first two games happen (Yup, making spares helps), and how to work on my third game as it is consistently lower than the first two historically.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
YMMV - last season I started subbing mid-season at the local center to get some extra practice in. (I was all about getting to bowl for free, can't lie. Just had to pay league sanction fees, as I was already a USBC card holder at a different center.) Teams didn't seem to take issue with the fact my average is pretty low (possibly because of the high handicap), but were just happy to have a sub. Met a lot of people on various teams I played with, and eventually subbed for one person a lot, to the point she was going to quit the league due to personal reasons. The team invited me to join them for the rest of the season, and we stuck together as a team this year.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
We had payout tonight and snagged 8th place team, 3rd place handicap team series, 4th place individual handicap series and most improved female bowler with an improvement of 23 pins.

I have never won a proper award before. My most improved keychain is going on the bookcase next to my bf's rings and trophies. :colbert:

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
What opinions are there about traveling leagues?

I'm in a tough spot of if I get the new job I applied for, it kills all hopes for evening leagues that are sanctioned (shift ends at 7, league nights start at 7 and the people here generally do not like waiting 15 minutes to get a teammate there). Just trying to get enough games in to be able to participate at state, and this seemed like it could be an interesting way to do so.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
My goal for the year is to retain my reign as most improved female bowler, reach a 155 average, and get 500 series in the first half of the season. (I was close ONCE last year, but not so much otherwise.)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
I should have quit after my first week. I met my goal by setting a 156 average. Still didn't get my 500 series though.

And the following three weeks have been consistently bad in comparison. Average is now 10 pins below my book average from last year. On the other hand, at least they are consistently bad and not super low/super high/mediocre games in the series... and I've re-found my way to hitting a 10 pin.

Was robbed on so many shots last week though, ended up with so many splits that shouldn't have happened. The bf said it is time to get a new ball, but he was the one that told me he was getting me one for my birthday. My birthday was a month ago. :argh: Sooooon Motiv Octane, you will be mine.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Scarf posted:

In our leagues, when someone leaves a 5-pin, people start putting their hands up in the air. If you miss it, you have to buy everyone with their hand up a shot.

This is what we do in our little part of Kansas... but you only buy the shots if they still have their hands up after you've missed the shot. We'll tease people and put our hands up while they're grabbing their ball off the return, but usually put it down before the ball is released. Usually only with the really good bowlers do we (people on our lanes, and occasionally neighboring lanes for some good ribbing) keep the hands up.

Scarf posted:

It's kind of mesmerizing. Then you realize that one slight gently caress up and you're probably going to lose your hand.

This reminds me of something that was utterly terrifying at the time (and now is like "you dumbass" as he was a former employee of mine, whom, no doubt, was a dumbass at a simple job. Kid is extremely book smart, but common sense is out the window with him)... last season at one of the alleys I bowled a league at, we were having an issue where the pin setter knocked down the 10 pin, just needed the 10 pin reset. This was the first time I realized my former employee was now employed at the alley when we called the desk to have JUST the 10 pin reset. The guy just reset the lane completely. Called him again saying "hey we need JUST the 10 pin." He resets the whole lane again. Call a third time, and he physically comes down from the desk all flustered not understanding what we wanted. "We. Just. Need. The. Ten. Pin. Not the whole lane." So he runs to the back, turns off the lane light, knocks everything down but the 10 pin. Turns on the lane light. Guy finishes up his frame, next person bowls their frame. Next person gets up, and suddenly we hear these blood-curdling screams for help coming from the back. The alley is not nicely set up with a door at the far end of the lanes to get back there... have to run around the side where the pool tables are. So I see people running back there, and people pretty much just ran down the lane, lifting up the front. The guy, for whatever reason, stuck around back there after turning the light back on, and stuck his arm in the machine. It was pinned in two places between his shoulder and elbow. The way he was screaming, I fully expected an amputated arm and blood everywhere. They had to break the pin setter from the lane side to get him free. Miraculously, he still had a fully intact arm with just a few bruises.

His manager came down after he left with the EMTs, asking what happened. It took all my will to bite my tongue and not launch into stories of his dumbassery while he was my employee.

Needless to say, he wasn't employed there after his semester review.

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 31, 2014

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Brady posted:

Shot in the dark but, AMF College Lanes by chance? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about that place.

Nope - I'm in Manhattan KS, usually bowl at Little Apple Lanes, or at the K-State Union bowling alley. It was one of the few outright WTF things I've seen at an alley.

The other was when I was visiting bf's family out in Mass, bowled at a place called "Pinz"... that was a bar/club disguised as a bowling alley. Lane computer-input devices were all locked (thus the counter put in our info in the computer), and when we had an issue with our lane, because the devices were locked, we had to go to the counter to get the lane fixed. The "mechanic" (who turned into the bouncer at 10pm as it went 21+) walked down the middle of the lane to fix some dead wood. I could go on and on about that place and the WTFness.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Brady posted:

Another thing about this place is that after 8pm they shut down all the lights (this was a weeknight mind you) and PROJECTION SCREENS came down right above every single lane in the place. The projections literally reflected like a mirror on all of the lanes; you couldn't make out the lines but it's not like it even mattered since it was such a large distraction to have a huge projection screen right above your lane in the first place.

This sounds like the night club disguised as a bar/bowling alley I went to last year. Same deal. Nothing like trying to bowl when a huge screen at the end of the lane is projecting some hardcore rap video with twerking ladies. Bowling and twerking really don't belong together.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
I got an overhaul at Christmas... finally got the new ball I was supposed to get months ago. DV8 Hooligan, Brunswick 2-ball roller, and a new pair of Dexters!
(I'll post a pic when I get home from work!)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Finally participated in a tournament over the weekend, for the women's city tournament in my area. Funny, the city tournament spans two cities since our association covers both.

(Bowled Friday night in league, with a 166, 151 and 142. Wasn't too upset by that.)

Went into the tournament with a 127 average. Team was in the other town on Saturday, bowled a 165, 114, 124 for a 403 (meh). Doubles and Singles were at my home location on Sunday. Doubles ended up with a 133, 166, 184 (483 series), and singles was 139, 165, 174 (478 series). With handicap, after all events, shot a 2075. While it won't be enough to cash out, definitely won't be coming in last. Also happy I didn't have to switch balls during doubles/singles, things were slinging the way I wanted them to.

Was a lot of fun, but after 12 games this weekend, my back is happy I don't have league again until Friday.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Poque posted:

The new ball is a 15 lber as recommended by the pro shop dude. I threw a 13 lb house ball before that, and I didn't really even notice the weight difference. The weirder part was getting used to the fingertip grip.

It is amazing what a properly drilled (for you) ball can do. I had a similar situation where I started with an 11lb conventionally drilled ball and was terrified when my boyfriend urged me to switch to a 14lb with fingertips. No issues at all because it was fit properly.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Originally got talked into doing a scratch, sport-shot league this summer by the bf, but was very leery of it feeling VERY uncomfortable with my 131 average. Showed up for the meeting only to find that a whopping THREE of us were interested. Soooo we're joining forces with the other Monday night just-for-fun league... called the "Have a Ball".

Interesting concept. Unsanctioned, handicap, 3-person teams, 3 games a week, and no prize fund. Why this is interesting is because you pay one of 3 prices each week, and at the end of the summer, you literally have a ball of your choice from the tier you paid.

$16/week will get your choice of a DV8 Outcast, Brunswick Strike King, soul or soulmate, or Radical Rack Attack.
$18/week will get your choice of a DV8 Hooligan (which I already have), Brunswick Rhino Pro, or a Radical Grease Monkey.
$20/week will get your choice of the DV8 Divas or Dudes, Brunswick Melee Jab, or a Radical Score.

For the price of what the balls cost, the Score seemed like a good deal, however I realized it has an asymmetric core. I was a little concerned about that. I think I'm going to get with the pro-shop manager/league leader before the meeting tonight to figure out which would be a good match for me.

If anyone has any suggestions though, feel free to holler at me. Like I said, I have a DV8 Hooligan, and my backup ball is an ancient Track Triple Threat.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Miss Inconsistent checking in. Had one of my normal nights... 146, 128, 196. Highest game I've had in "league" (in quotes simply because it isn't sanctioned). I have a feeling, if we can find another male/female pair for our team for our normal league, I'll break 200 this coming season.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Finally got my ball from our summer league, a Brunswick Melee Jab. Definitely more hook than my DV8 Hooligan, but I'm figuring it out. Also was not prepared to see a balance hole drilled in it! First ball I've ever had with one.

We start our new league season this Friday, so here are my goals for the year:
Maintain or improve the 145 average I set over the summer league (considering I ended with a 131 from last season, I'm pleased)
Have a clean game
Get a 500 series (I almost did with a 499 this summer, but the league wasn't sanctioned so it wouldn't have mattered anyway)
Get a 200+ game.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Out of curiosity, anyone on association boards? I was appointed to a director position (to fill a spot, and a niche of social media coordinator), and am being tasked with raising awareness as our numbers are dwindling across all of our leagues (but especially the women's numbers). I have a few ideas to get more visibility such as bowl-a-thons for charities and helping sponsor/put on events for groups doing their own fundraising events AT the houses, but was wondering if anyone has experience with running any programming or events to gain interest for upcoming seasons? Our WBA has never really had someone in a position like this so I'm having to make it up as I go, and I feel like there are people out there who have done this sort of thing before that would be able to give guidance!

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Devo posted:

I'd concentrate on youth bowling first and foremost.

Oddly enough I got put on the youth committee as well. Luckily the gal that is also on it has a son in youth league so she at least knows what is up! You make a super good point though.

Devo posted:

Every time I managed to get a couple fun new teams into a league the old crones that have been bowling in it forever would run them out within a year or two.

THIS SO MUCH THIS. We've had a few younger faces show up in our league (both female and male) but the "elders" as we lovingly call them (please get the sarcasm in that) are horrible about that sort of thing.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Looks like Motiv is setting up a recall of sorts to get replacement balls to those who had the Jackal/Carnage balls. Should be up and running Wednesday. http://www.motivbowling.com/motivnation/news-events/2016-03-15/jackal-and-jackal-carnage-approval-removed.html

In happier news, I finally did it. I got my first 200 game in league (213), and then followed it up with a second (201). Managed my first 500 series, and will also snag my 140 over series pin. (First game was a 162.) For having a 142 average, I was pretty excited. Pressure is off, I'm free to bowl 200s now ;)

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 21, 2016

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Women's State Championships are going on in Kansas this month. I competed this weekend for the first time. Rather glad they went with last season's book average (131, as opposed to 145), and some ridiculous handicap setting. Singles/Doubles were at my house, and then team was at a house I used to bowl at.

Managed a 433 (715 handicap) for doubles, 553 (835 handicap) for singles (and managed to win both of my brackets!), and 439 (721 handicap) for team. Now I just have to impatiently wait until the beginning of next month for the event to finish up!

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
I went to a demo day weekend before last and was able to try out a number of new balls. Not that I need one of course.. but I did find a couple I wouldn't mind getting if something went awry with what I already have.

And then I came back only to bowl one of my worst weeks so far this season. I'm still 7 under my book average from last season. Hoping I can bring it up and over, for sure.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Supposedly that one smells like Butter Pecan. I've always thought it a little weird that Storm does that with their balls. Before I knew about it, I always questioned why my bf's bowling bag smelled of chocolate oranges.

As far as first balls drilled for you and making them hook... I was legit awful when I got my first fingertip grip ball, and the gutters and I were pretty well acquainted. There is definitely a learning curve on how to make the ball hook. (ha I made a funny!) There are a lot of factors that affect the path of your ball though, and other than practicing/getting lessons, I read a lot/watched plenty of youtube videos. bowlingball.com has some decent articles about it, in fact they wrote a series on it that was pretty informative for me at least. http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/why-wont-my-ball-hook-part-one

Biggest piece of advice I've got is just be patient. After enough practice, it seems like something just clicks suddenly and you know how to throw it to make it do what you want.

PS I love the cat photobomb.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Bowled my first 200 game last week in league (before slowly falling apart in games 2 and 3 for various reasons). Still a good night in the end though, and so far this year I'm averaging right around a 150, which is p. nice considering my average last season was 130.

That is awesome to hear! I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm hovering around a 145 right now, but just sometimes even getting one awesome game like that proves to yourself that you can do it! Keep it up, you'll start seeing more of those high numbers :)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
It is tournament season around here as well!

Being on the women's association board of directors, I had to work a few days of city tournament. One day I wasn't needed (there were literally 2 teams and 2 sets of doubles/singles that day) so I got picked up to sub in the men's city tournament. I did awful. The women's association manager comes by and jokes, "You know the guys don't give out awards, right?"

I came back with "I'm saving my 200 for tomorrow." (Last day of me bowling in the women's city tournament.) I did awful in the men's tournament, but my score with handicap was better than a 0 for their missing player. Also found out that the guys were super cool to bowl with, and cheered me on quite a bit.

Sure enough, last game of the day though for women's, I pulled off a 200 on the nose, and got my pin. (First 200 in a tournament setting, I was pretty happy, especially with the rut I've been in the past few weeks.)

Ended up doing awful in singles, took 4th in doubles, and took first in team. And because I'm the designer in our association, we're getting super special plaques (rather than the generic stuff I came up with last year) :)

I have state coming up in May, and the bf has talked me into bowling USBC Open Nationals this year in June.

Somewhere in all of this, our women's and men's associations are having to merge, and there is a rather large chance that I'm going to be elected president of the association. Not quite sure how I feel about that one.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Enjoy nationals. If you have never bowled on a sport shot, be prepared to struggle and don't be disappointed. Otherwise, have a ton of fun!

Our womens/men/youth is merging into one association too. I wonder if this is happening everywhere.

I've heard the horror stories about those sport patterns, but since I'm expecting it, I'm pretty much of the mindset of "whatever, I'm in Vegas!" :)

I'm not sure if all of the associations are merging or not - but I know this is our last season for our state women's association as well. I was thinking it had something to do with numbers dropping. (Our youth is getting lumped in as well, I didn't mention that.)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Chuckle posted:

So, just getting back into bowling after a good 12 year break. I picked up a Brunswick Rhino, properly fitted and such got a few practice games in and managed some decent scores (125, 168, 185). What would you guys recommend i focus on in the beginning as far as getting consistent, or should i just invest in some lessons with a coach? Also is there a recommended average you'd shoot for to join up in a league, or just jump on in? this may be difficult as most of the leagues are ending in a few weeks from now and not many seem to have any spots for rotating subs. Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome back! To address your points in no particular order, just as things jumped out at me:

Subs - you're pretty spot on about finding it difficult to get in on that action. Most of the leagues I am involved in have rules stating that the last 6-8 weeks, no new bowlers/subs are allowed in as to keep teams from bringing in ringers at the end of the season. (This isn't ALWAYS the rule, one of my leagues is struggling with vacant spots, and we voted, as a team, to allow a new bowler to join in just last night, with 6 weeks left.) Can't hurt to ask around though. Sub bowling = free bowling in many cases and free bowling = awesome.

I'm not sure I share the same opinion with others, but as far as being consistent or getting lessons, I can appreciate wanting to go it alone and figure out what you can do first. However, getting some lessons may be something that your coach would be able to see the way you're throwing, see what your form is like, how your timing is, etc, and make corrections so you don't stay consistent, rather, you improve. Can also help curb negative habits before they become worse. (I fought tooth and nail with my bf about getting lessons, I didn't want to believe I needed them, but they really have helped.) Another thing to look into is maybe an adult instructional league if there are any in your area. With that, summer leagues are coming up pretty quick too - they are usually a lot less stressful (in my opinion) and I always used them to work on things like my timing, maybe try a different way to hold the ball at the approach, etc.

Don't sweat the average. Unless you're in a scratch league, you'll have handicap to work with to make up for a lower average to start. The goal is to improve upon whatever average you set. (Also don't freak out if you set a stupid high average and you tank the next few weeks. I did that with one league I'm subbing on - set a 172 average the first week and dropped like a stone back to my normal 150-155 range average over the next few weeks. But it is inching up slowly!)

Worst case, find out if any centers in your area have cheap bowling days - mine happens to have $1 games on Thursday nights (if you can get a lane, it is pretty popular) or even a flat rate deal, and practice with no pressure. Get a feel for how your ball reacts, try different ways of throwing it, etc. Then look at maybe the summer leagues and get ready for fall!

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 16, 2017

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Let's talk about motherfucking candlepin. I bowled a 97 the other day which is drat near the highest score I ever threw in candlepin bowling in my life.

That is pretty drat good for candlepin. My bf and I go when we're out NE to visit his family. I think my high is a 68. I keep trying to hook the drat ball which obviously doesn't work when you're essentially chucking skee balls at the pegs.

As frustrating as that game is, I still enjoy it. (Also i'd much rather carry a set of candlepin balls up my three flights of stairs, rather than carrying my 2 14lb balls, geebus.)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
I hear you on the distance thing - we'd go to Woonsocket to 10 pin bowl. There is a bowling alley in Milford, but really it is just a cover for it being a bar/arcade/generally terrible place to bowl at.

I only managed a single spare the entire time I've done candlepin. Not even close to a strike! I was pretty ecstatic just with that spare, I can't imagine how I'd be with a strike.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Welp, it happened. I was elected president of our 2017-18 (and 18-19) soon to be merged association. Nervous, but excited. I feel like there are a lot of things our association is lacking in *cough*communication*cough* but it seems like our new officers is a good mix of men, women, and youth, so I'm looking forward to it.

Any other association presidents out there that have any advice?

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Survived my first association meeting as president. Once we get through all this merger bs, we can actually work on fun stuff like things actually bowling-related.

BF talked me into doing a sport shot league this summer and it is kicking my rear end. 6 games a night. We're on the Alcatraz pattern right now, and once I got to the 6th game last week I figured out what I was doing. Set a 125 average, which is disheartening, but... it is good practice. It'll get better though, I know it will.

Two weeks until USBC Open Nationals, I *am* pretty excited for that trip!

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

coupbrick posted:

Do I let the ball go with my wrist locked straight or do I rotate it from locked straight to a pistol grip position? I bought a ball and got it drilled. Felt like poo poo but I scored as well as with a house ball

Did you get the ball drilled conventionally (like house balls are), or with finger tip grips (inserts that go inside the drilled holes)? That is going to make a difference in how you want release the ball.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

bumming your scene posted:

Ever get those games where you forget how to walk? What the eff I couldn't remember if I start with my left or right foot.. rolled some comically bad looking 3 step and 8 step shots.

YES. I had a whole night like that a few months ago. I pretty much was ready to just feign injury and have the team bowl me blind the rest of the night!

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
It's tough unlearning things and learning new. I think you having a lesson with a coach is definitely a step in the right direction. I'd recommend seeing if the coach would film you for a few shots so you can see what you're doing, and maybe see what you need to tweak to get that better shot. Let us know what you find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
I'm about a 150 average bowler. Friday night was above average... started off 190... 205... and I needed to strike out in the 10th to get my first 600.

Strike.

Breathe. Approach. Release. Solid pocket hit... and left the drat 10 pin standing.

I picked it up, but it was not enough. I drat near cried. Ended with a 589. Which I should be happy about, is my highest series to date (plus widened my lead on handicap high series for the season)... but c'mon!

• Locked thread