Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I started up bowling again this year (I was in a league from 2007-2009, so I'm a bit out of practice). I've had a ~105 average so far this season, and finally decided to get my own ball today and have it drilled properly, and I gotta say, it feels great. Wound up with a Storm Tropical Breeze black cherry. Wound up bowling a 107-154-126 right away, with a lot of time spent just getting used to having something that fits me, but it's definitely a lot easier to throw and pick up spares with. Pumped for the rest of the season now (and for working on my release so I'm a bit more consistent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

buffto posted:

I'm a big consumer whore for Storm and have been for 7 or 8 years. The Tropical Breeze is an excellent starter ball. It will hook a considerable amount once you learn to throw it, but it is very controllable. However, that was not an ugly ball. What the hell, man?

Well here's a pic of my old ball (I still like it, helped my team get first place nearly 10 years ago in my first league, but it doesn't actually fit me and it's just all beat to hell and deteriorating fast).

poor brad, although 23 years is a pretty good life for a ball I suppose.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bowled a 122-144-104 last night with the new ball (16 pins above my average going into tonight), pretty happy all around. Had some real solid shots, just need to practice more and get some consistency going (and work on picking up spares). Don't feel too bad about the third game either, everyone did bad that game (probably because the other team was going so incredibly slow on top of a lane that kept breaking, took 2 and a half hours to get out of there, ugh). The guy on the other team who was slowing things down spent the whole night trying to bowl right after his team's 4th player (you know... when I'm supposed to bowl on that lane), and even threw my shiny new ball by accident once because he couldn't tell the difference between it and the one his friend let him borrow. :argh:

That said, we were the number 1 team by half a point, and swept one of the teams tied for second, so that was awesome.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, that kinda sucks.

My first season in nearly 10 years is wrapping up, back in november I was rocking a 105 average, and now I've managed to drag it up to a 129, with the highpoint being a 172-174-176 series that so far locked up the top series w/handicap score for the league year (759 total). Gonna have to practice over the summer, hopefully go into next season strong.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bowled my first 200 game last week in league (before slowly falling apart in games 2 and 3 for various reasons). Still a good night in the end though, and so far this year I'm averaging right around a 150, which is p. nice considering my average last season was 130.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I bowled a 242 a month ago, took 2nd in a tourney (in the sub150 handicap bracket since it was using last years handicap), along with first in mystery doubles and a bracket that I entered in. Wound up winning a decent chunk of change and turning it into this guy:

Took a little used to being able to actually throw a ball fast and still have it grab and hook, but i'm really digging it now. Bowled a 653 series on monday (first time with 3 games back to back to back above 200), and posted a 178-206-179 in league tonight which was pretty solid (700 series with my handicap is always nice).

Need to stay like this though, one of my team mates in the span of about 3 weeks bowled his first ever 300, and then broke the middle finger on his bowling hand at work. :geno:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I just want to bitch for a minute because last week in league the team we were playing completely steamrolled us because someone with a 36 handicap got a new ball and fixed some stuff and was consistently bowling 650+ series, with a few 700's in the past 2 weeks.

Great for him (dude was bowling great) but man that was demoralizing in a handicap league, hopefully tonight is a bit more fair :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up a 7-9 this league (even if the 9had shifted a bunch after the first ball without going down :kiddo:)

• Locked thread