Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Any advice to a dude with hammer/clubbed thumbs (short and wide) who only bowls once in a blue moon. It's always a struggle to find a few balls that I can even kind of use. I can never find a ball that I can grip comfortably. Either I can't fit my thumb in the hole at all or they are too far apart and I will often slightly drop the ball during the release if I even try to give it any speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Pander posted:

Are you talking about using house balls? Nah. Get your own ball. I've got a clubbed thumb AND I'm left-handed, so really the only house balls I could ever use were the comically oversized variety that were impossible to do much with beyond hoping to aim straight. Usually they were plastic and 16 lbs.

If you get your own ball you can get your thumb hole fit for you. It's, uh, nice and necessary.

The other option is to just learn how to throw without the thumb in a hole or two-handed like Jason Belmonte. That cuts out the middle man, but most house balls probably won't be reactive enough to actually hook back, which makes aiming a bit harder.

Well I'm also a lefty (that's bad too?). I'm not at a point where I'll get my own ball at the moment so I guess I'll have to start bowling without my thumb in a hole. Know of any resources I can check out before the next time so I might make less of a fool out of myself until I readjust?

• Locked thread