Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Living in the middle of New England is rough for a ten pin bowler. The nearest alley is roughly an hour away, but there are a billion candlepin lanes within 15 miles. I'm a lefty with a crooked ring finger which makes my release on those teeny tiny balls a little wonky, so once I get into a groove I can't seem to stop throwing half-Worcesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Let's talk about motherfucking candlepin. I bowled a 97 the other day which is drat near the highest score I ever threw in candlepin bowling in my life.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I love ten pin just as much as candlepin, but when you live in MA and the nearest ten pin alley is about an hour away, there aren't many reasons to justify the trip, so candlepin is mostly all I got.

Very little is as satisfying as hitting a strike in candlepin. It makes you feel like some kind of wizard.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

hockeyfrog posted:

I hear you on the distance thing - we'd go to Woonsocket to 10 pin bowl. There is a bowling alley in Milford, but really it is just a cover for it being a bar/arcade/generally terrible place to bowl at.

I only managed a single spare the entire time I've done candlepin. Not even close to a strike! I was pretty ecstatic just with that spare, I can't imagine how I'd be with a strike.

Townline in Malden (I think) is the closest place to me, it's a pretty great if not really expensive place for 10 pin. Plus they've got a whole pro shop there, so if I ever made the plunge into purchasing a ball or equipment, I'd probably head there.

gently caress. Now I'm gonna go to Haverhill and bowl a couple strings. See what you've done, bowling thread? *shakes fist angrily*

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

resurrecting the bowling thread to say I finally broke the 100 threshold and scored a 101 yesterday chucking some candlepin. :toot: poo poo's difficult. got close to doing it again in the final game but badly converted a spare in the 10th frame and finished with a 99

e: converting a spare? what is it called when you shoot for your spare on the next frame?

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Not sure I understand the question, but converting a spare (if you pick it up) is correct terminology. The term "fill" can also be used, as in, fill up the frame (with a spare or a strike). Also the extra balls in the 10th frame are considered "fill balls."

Converting the spare is knocking all the pins down in two rolls (or "picking up the spare"). What I'm talking about is the bonus score you tack on from the first throw of your next frame. Is there a word for that? Is it literally just the "bonus throw"?

Also, I went and played three more strings today, couldn't stay away

• Locked thread