Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Over the years I've taught myself to hook with lane balls, but now that I've joined a league I'm looking to get my own ball. The thread guide is good and I'm going to talk to a pro, but I'm wondering about some of my habits and if any are going to screw me over. Mainly, my grip: no thumb, resting the ball on the palm. Is that horribly wrong? I've tried using my thumb, but with the drilling pattern my wrist never felt secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

buffto posted:

Yeah, there are definitely some no-thumb exceptions (Mike Miller, Jason Belmonte, Osku Palermaa, plus a few local bowlers you've never heard of), but generally speaking it's best to learn with the thumb. I threw thumbless for the first year or so I bowled and plateaued around 195-200 on some really easy conditions. Once I got a ball drilled for my hand and I worked out the kinks, my consistency went way up.

Haha, I'm still a ways from having that problem, but probably better to nip it early. Is wrist support something that a proper fitting would help? It does feel like the holes for the finger size I need are too close together.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Upped my PB game 40 pts to 254, not bad for a lane ball

• Locked thread