Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I am dredging this up.

I'm a poo poo bowler.
At my very best I tossed 210's and rejoiced.

Recently, I got the spirit to got back into the game, and just bought my own ball for the hell of it and want have it drilled.

I'd like terrible advice on this and for you to tell me I'm I terrible person as to why, much as I'd tell you you're an awful person for picking out your own golf ball, etc. but I digress..

Anyone in the Green Bay area want to school me specifically before I just waltz out there?
I don't have any playing partners currently other than my wife.

I meant to add an e: "this isn't a personals ad" but that last line just doesn't really sell it.
It's just all cosmic bowling for days around here. Dunno where to get a decent lane.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Many thanks to the dude who recommended Ashwaubenon Lanes - I figured they might have a pro shop given their reputation.

What I didn't expect was that the dude who measured me for drilling was the guy my wife and I lived next to in our first duplex back in the day. Nice.

While I got a cool ball (online based on a lot of maybe pointless but I thought well planned research based on what I was looking for) - Storm torrent 14lb.

It's finish it's just too matte for me (not cosmetically, it looks cool as hell in person), and I am way, WAY too inexperienced to know how to polish it up properly, using the machine at the proshop that offers a bill feed and a tacked on chart and literally 18 different buttons and gauges of 'sand level' and 'polish level' with no other reference. ... err..I'll digress.

The way they drilled it, and the inserts, the weight, and even the way the ball travels, I can tell it could be just killer. But holy loving poo poo, with my grip it's like the last few literal, and I mean literal feet of the lane have it carrying across the entirety of the rack and I will be lucky to clip the 7 pin.

Speed up, speed down, revs up, revs down, "she gone" I have never seen a bowling ball cut straight left like this does.

Woops. Well. Like I said. I'm going to polish it up some, a notch, and try it. I'm going to tweak it and me, as I know my form is terrible, until I find a sweet spot...hopefully.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 1, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thanks for the advice,
I am starting left. My approach essentially begins with my heel almost touching the 'top' end of the ball return (assuming it, too is to the left) and releasing as close as I can to the left most board, with the intent to get the ball as far right and long as I can, and it's still pulling, literally, entirely back across the lane and into the left gutter.

I've thrown 1 series +2 games with this, spread across two different bowling alleys now (Ash. lanes and Village lanes up in Howard closer to where I live (half-way from the NEW zoo to Pulaski))
Same results.

My speeds are atrocious. 14.5-15 throwing 'straight', 11.5 throwing 2-finger 'hook' (or at least with this new ball and my most recent series).
Which, I know, 'real' bowlers hate. It's how I taught myself, it's what I am used to and comfortable (or was) doing. It's what I intended to do here. Please no flak.

My hook has always been a looping curveball, and I'm cool with that, but when I was younger I could generate more speed. But, these are basically my first three/four 'real' series after being away from actually caring about bowling for like 16 years, so...

e: I am waiting for the ball to hook so strongly that it actually U-turns and starts heading back towards me to punish me for my sins.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 2, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Not arguing that.
Hence the relatively low 14 lb weight and my desire to polish it up to a higher sheen rather than just toss it away.

I fully understand the criticism.
I worked as a caddie and in a golf pro-shop for years as a younger man, fitting clubs for people who should not/could not have them. I know that biting the hand that's out there to make you buy dumb stuff leads to perilous results.

Over time, as I get really back into it, I do expect my speed to increase. How dramatically, now that I'm 36? I don't know. But faster than 11.5 on a hook shot. Again, These are my first few "ok, I'm doing this again" mistakes into bowling.

I'm a dummy for buying the ball, probably. Still did it anyway. Trying to salvage it, I've got hrs and $ to spend on a hobby. Kill me :getin:

e: basically I'm looking to improve the polish on a Storm Torrent 14 lb ball to match house lane oil conditions for a no-thumb grip tyia.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 2, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If you are two fingering a solid reactive coverstock at 11 mph, that is the exact reaction you are going to get. It's going to be aggressive as hell and unable to be kept right of the headpin. You are probably putting a million revs on it.

Any chance you can not "hit it" as hard coming through the ball with your fingers? Take some revs off of it. This may get your speed up a bit too. But if you want to keep that in the pocket on a house shot, you are really going to either need to speed up or take revs off. Speeding up in general might take some revs off. Keep practicing!

You are of course, correct.

Because I've drilled into myself, over time, using time and many lapsed years of not bowling and only using house balls - "Spin the poo poo out of this thing" it's, of course, causing my issue.

I polished it and worked it and... eh. BUT I've been trying. That's what counts.

Because I've already purchased and had it drilled and got stuff for it, I'm not going to abandon the ball.

I've transitioned into a more traditional approach with higher speeds and that has helped (I'm still poo poo).

I'm going to take the ball into a much higher gloss 3000-4000 and play several games and just SEE what it's like. ...and then I'm gonna get coaching. ...probably either way.

• Locked thread