Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Of course Aigis shows up again.

She is so terrible, and so popular in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ChibiSoma is terrible in every single thread he posts in and has some kind of Brain Problem that makes it impossible for him to recognize that. At least he hasn't started calling for women to be tortured to death this time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Satorr posted:

I started playing Elizabeth online and I've received so much rage mail as a result, including a rape threat.

At this point the main reason I wouldn't want to pick this game up is because of the fetid poo poo-pit that is the average fighting game community. It's hard going if you don't find stuff like the above amusing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure you will see the same poo poo in any online game where someone is the loser.

Nah. Most shooters just have free-for-all slurs at all times, and niche games like Dark Souls might end up with congratulations or maybe a sparkly naked dance party. Fighters are the only games where I've had people screaming their lungs out even as they were beating me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Emalde posted:

Hey you! I want a rematch! :mad:

also gently caress kanji, even the worst kanjis can laugh at my attempts to do anything :negative:

No matter how fast you run, so matter where you hide, Kanji will find you and give you a hug.

A hug so manly it will char the flesh from your bones

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Emalde posted:

I have to agree with this. What a horrible oversight on Atlus' part, leaving out literally the best fighter in P3.

Watch as a DLC character pack comes out and it's nothing but Metis and Ken.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FauxCyclops posted:

How do some of you, particularly the fighting game enthusiasts/hardcore players, feel about the instant kill mechanic? I'm trying to sell my buddy overseas on picking this game up but he says that the instant kill poo poo sounds like game-breaking comeback mechanic bullshit. I argue that you have to earn the right to use it and it's easy enough to avoid so it's not really comparable to something like X-Factor lvl 3 Wesker.

Unlike XF, Instant Kill techniques can only be used if you're way ahead to begin with and still have a crazy specific set of restrictions attached on top of that, so they're more like a stylish humiliation technique than an actual viable way to win a fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I'm seeing PSN tossed around a lot. Is the 360 scene a ghost town, or what?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I play Story Mode in this, there's a thin black line at the bottom of the screen filled with colored dots and lines, sort of like Morse code. It looks like graphical noise, but the line changes when I pause and scroll through the options. Does this thing serve some kind of purpose, or is it a glitch?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sounds like the control guide's being cut off, try changing the scaling in the video options to option B. I had the exact same problem in BBCT; hell, that's what made me get an HDMI cord for my 360 in the first place.

Sounds like that, yeah, given that the corners are all cut off, too. Thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, Christ almighty, not even Atlus' localization team could do much with the word-vomit that is the visual novel format. I've resorted to just blazing past almost every line of text that isn't spoken and I'm less than halfway through Yu's chapter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, just met Labrys.

I will now spend the rest of the story campaign waiting for her to say, "Of course you realize, this means war."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a reliable way to get past Elizabeth beamspam? I'm playing as Yu, and can always get in after a little bit because rushdown is kind of his thing, but I always wind up taking a few hits in the meantime.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

You think it's bad as Yu? Try Kanji. Anytime I beat an Elizabeth player they beamspam for the rest of the next round because they know I don't have the speed to get out of it easily.

Can't Kanji's own Persona bring down lightning from all the way across the screen?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh man, fighting people with Teddie is hysterical. They're all so used to Yu/Aki/Chie over and over again that they have no idea what the gently caress to do with him, it's great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Teddie is fantastic, if you can put up with really lovely midscreen combo damage, even off of a fatal counter, unless you spend meter, or have the right item ready to go. Plus rage or fear+rage set ups in the corner are so drat scary.

Yeah, right now my tactics with him are limited to, appropriately enough, irritating the enemy to death with love taps while dancing outside their range of attack. A Yukiko player absolutely trashed me, because I couldn't figure out how to close the distance, but I had decent success against everyone else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Every time I win a match by hitting someone with Teddie's Circus Ball super it is like the punchline to a hilarious joke that never gets old no matter how many times you tell it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know that people say that S.Labrys needs high execution to use properly, but how in the gently caress do I defend against her? I don't know how to handle two opponents at once, which is basically the case against even novice Slab players.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
God, I wish there was a "Beat On the Brat With A Baseball Bat" title. Because I would take it and use only Teddie forever and ever.

That bat is to Teddie what the pipe is to MvC3 Haggar.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Static Rook posted:

You can roll Circus Bear, too, right? I swear I remember doing that. It's much easier to just double jump it but if you're stuck on the ground for some reason I wanna say rolling works, too.

Yukiko's Dia completely negates it as well.

Yukiko just massacres Teddie in general.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Whose story should I finish last? I want to save the big bang ending for last but don't know which character is going to have it. Is it Yu or Elizabeth? I imagine Elizabeth's is going to have pretty big ramifications for the ending, but Yu being the MC and all makes me inclined to leave his for last.

Probably Elizabeth. If anything, Yu's is the one you should finish first, because it gives you the clearest idea of what's going on (aside from, oddly enough, Naoto's of all people).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also every fight with him, win or lose, is basically an extended slapstick routine, and that is hilarious

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mumblyfish posted:

I picked this up a couple of days ago - it's actually the first fighting game I've ever owned. Baby's first fighting game! I've been told that I could have picked something more beginner-friendly, but I'm a sucker for Persona 4.

I've played a few dozen rounds online and been beaten into the dirt so badly that I can't even see what I'm doing wrong. I guess the game is old enough now that there won't be any other rank beginners to go up against.

Is there some kind of basic competency I should aim for in the single-player content before braving online? Right now I'm learning nothing from having my poo poo pushed in.

Oh, and Original Character Do Not Steal is the worst. Holy Hell. You're god damned right I get a trophy for sitting through Labrys's story. The story mode endings that I've seen so far hint that we'll see a continuation of P4A's story in the future, but I sure loving hope not. I did like Chie and Kanji's Goofus paths, which owned and were exactly what I wanted out of a Persona spin-off.

...Man, dreams are amazing.

Would you rather it be another character, Mumblyfish

Would you rather it be Metis

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was able to claw my way up to S Rank using a very inexpert Teddie in pub matches before getting bored. Not that it was easy to get bored with Teddie. He just poked the enemy to death in an endless, goofy slapstick routine that probably had people's eyes bugging out from fury.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Good to know Shadow Teddie is still loving terrifying.

Half of Shadow Teddie wins are going to be due to the opponent putting a bullet in their TV during that intro.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Excels posted:

So who are your mains and how good are you at playing them?

I want to say Aigis is my main but I really suck with her so I end up using a high-tier character like Chie just to have a chance of winning

Teddie main, Yu sub, terrible with both of them. Teddie's still fun to play though because while everyone else keeps trying to do this high-stakes combo nonsense, a fight with Teddie is like being on the receiving end of a Bugs Bunny slapstick sketch until you die.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I see that prison time hasn't made Adachi any less rat-poo poo insane. You'd think getting brainjacked by a disco eyeball would have taken the edge off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Excels posted:

From the look of those screens, something demonic intervened to set Adachi loose. I'm glad they're actually explaining it instead of saying "It was just a Shadow" or "He just straight-up broke outta jail"

Nyarlathotep busted him out and realized too late that Adachi is an equal-opportunity kind of psychopath.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Excels posted:

Oh. Okay. :(

Who has the best voice in all of the Persona dubs. Now is your chance to flex your superior taste.

My vote goes to Mitsuru.

Incorrect.

S-Alpha posted:

Shadow Kanji. Duh.

As Shadow Kanji is a subsection of Kanji, technically correct.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, giving me a thing that lets me punch Teddie is worth my money.

Not to worry, I'm sure that Teddie players will return the favor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Adachi trailer's up now, woo. I love his animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8UuRFuO30

He packs a handgun but his entire moveset consists of awkward, gangly kicks and pistol-whipping people.

His throw has him take a minute to point and laugh at you.

Adachi you might be pathologically incapable of feeling empathy but that's no reason we can't be best friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AG3 posted:

I hate the Kansai = Southern thing they have going in a lot of JRPGs because sometimes they just cannot refrain from adding a bunch of unnecessary filler idioms to make everyone sound like they're inbred cowboys/girls.

Also, reading dialogue in all faux southern accent is just painful and annoying.

Devil Summoner 2 was such a misery because of this last bit.

• Locked thread