Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have never owned a fighting game of any kind before but have always enjoyed playing them every so often with friends or something. Got this today for the Persona sequel and have had an absolute blast with it. It's a very fun game with a simple enough tutorial that I was able to jump right in.

Played some Story Mode and some Arcade before going online. I've enjoyed it, but being a complete newbie I have been getting tossed online. I'll get better though...hopefully...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was getting regularly tossed in online matches until I just sat for a bit with a character of choice (in my case Labrys) in the challenge mode and just really practiced like, one simple combo.

I'm still not very good but being able to pull something flashier than the simple combo spam helps just enough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is too absurd to be real hahaha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started with "Ridiculous Amount of Booty" but it was a bit long so I switched to "En Fuego Errand Boy".

I believe they unlock from playing Story/Arcade Modes? It's the only thing that would make sense but it does seem pretty random.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cronox2 posted:

New title: "Chic Instant Kill Bebe"

Question: Is it bad sportsmanship to skip the pre-fight cutscenes when there's still stuttering lag? I always let it catch up before I press a button and anyone who does the opposite deserves to be instant killed.

It happens a lot to me and its seriously annoying. I have to spend the first few seconds of each fight just blocking and waiting for things on my end to catch up. I really wish people wouldn't skip past it so immediately. It only lasts like, 10 seconds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LibbyM posted:

If people do that a lot they get marked a a frequent ragequitter, and there name is turned red. When the matchmaking matches you up against someone with a red name, don't accept the match*. If they didn't have a red name because they're new and haven't earned it yet, take solace knowing they will have a red name soon with that behavior.

*Alternatively, accept the match and play the most lame annoying way possible trying to bait them into rage quitting yet again.

I played against someone who was a few grade levels higher than me. They absolutely walloped me in the first round and then they left the match. I wonder if they just felt bad for me or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My PSN is MangaCarta and I will be adding people tonight when I play online for a bit. I main Labrys and I know one (1) combo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Is there room in the PSN tourney for someone who hasn't played more than five matches of any fighting games other than Super Smash Bros (I understand this doesn't count, it's really a party game), until now? I'll probably get eliminated immediately, but I'd have fun anyway!

Also, for anyone who wants to play with a total scrub, feel free to add me on PSN. My name is DarkHamsterlord, same as my username here.

This was me too, and I entered anyway. We will see what happens but I will most likely get swept in the first round. Its all fun really so why not just try?

Also, I just found out that SA_Pause plays Elizabeth, if thats something you wanna update.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Hater posted:

Not elizabeth, Yukiko! Also good games everyone, that was pretty fun

Oops! Who was playing Liz then?

Chickenfrogman posted:

Good game, goons who showed up to the room over the last hour. Was fun. I have no idea how to fight Yukikos yet.

And I have no idea how to fight Yosukes but you punished me enough that I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Really any character with a solid ranged game can shut me down as Labrys if I screw up my approaches, but live and learn.

Hope more people make a room in the future, its pretty fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chickenfrogman posted:

Fun set with MagnaCarta earlier. Try to catch Yosuke in the air with your air B, it out reaches and out prioritizes everything he can do airborne besides Moonsaults. Also, I'm pretty sure you can air grab Yosuke on reaction if he moonsaults after you block his dash.

Thanks for the games! We had some close matches, and I'm beginning to catch on. I swear I'll beat you at least once next time we play.

And I never even knew air grabbing was a thing (!) so I'll look into that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

poo poo I wrote a long post about characters I don't want to play :v:

Can't really figure out who I like to play as, I think maybe it's between Chie, Elizabeth and Mitsuru but from what I hear this is also 90% of what people are playing online :I

Edit: I forgot Yu, basically 100%

This is pretty much true. After playing 100+ matches online with Labrys I have only ever run into one other Labrys player.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Static Rook posted:

^^^that's the joke^^^

Anybody up for a practice lobby this evening? I'm actually gonna try and make the tournament tomorrow but I haven't touched P4A in a few days. Please help me expose my fraudulent Kanji play and help me get better!

I'll be on around 7pm Central, if there isn't a lobby going on already I'll start one up and send invites to anyone I see online. You can't hide!

I will probably be on then as well. I would like to do better than last week and win at least two matches instead of just one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

I've only played 5 matches online and 3 of them were against different Labryses.

Maybe there is a super low priority given to mirror matches? That would explain it maybe.

Also this may seem like an incredibly stupid question but uh, how do you actually continue in Arcade mode? I've tried every button I can think of but I always end up back at the character selection screen...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah sorry about that, if you want an invite message me on PSN, the name is MangaCarta.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good games everybody, I enjoyed having my rear end handed to me :shobon:

Chickenfrogman posted:

Quick tip, Great Lake. If you want a more reliable midscreen combo then Labrys's auto combo, try A B Sweep Guillotine Axe A. More damage, has a low, covers more ground, safer.

You can also duck under Kanji's diving grab and he'll whiff entirely in front of you for a free counter hit combo.

Thank you for the tips. I'll try incorporating some of them tomorrow. I'm still trying to wrap my head around fighting games in general, but hopefully I actually improve at some point!

The worst part about the online system is that the better I get, the harder opponents I face, so I never feel like I'm getting better :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This weekend I'll be playing a lot of Guild Wars 2 but on most days I usually play for an hour in the evening. If I'm ever on just invite me into a room, I'll be happy to lose any time, any where.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a way to tell what level of connection you have when you use the "Quick Match" option?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I'm going to go through and add some of you dudes that still play. I really want to get back into this. If anyone's going to be around this weekend I'll be up for a few rounds. Maybe we can get a room going or something. I'm super rusty and am probably going to get destroyed but it's all in good fun. :)

I still play and am playing right now. MangaCarta on PS3, but I lose a lot. You may have found your equal matchup in me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What about the Vita? Would that be a possibility for P4A2?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man Rise's shadow theme was the funniest and she's not a fighter.

OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ sorry can you make the music louder

OONTZ OONTZ I CANT IT'S PART OF MY DREAM

What is your psn and can we fight even though I haven't played P4A in ages

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I live in Kuwait and PSN fighting games are unplayably laggy unless you live somewhere really close by :(

Aw ok

Are there still people playing P4A online? Will I be able to find matches?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's Labrys accent in Japanese?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmao I saw this on the Evo stream and mildly freaked out. It's just some rhythm game thing right? This game is getting extremely bizarre

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would be very happy is someone won a very important game by finishing with the dancing move.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked playing as Labrys and now there are like 6 Labrys's or something so all of those variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the new characters look great and seem fun, but the more they pump into this the more bloated that story mode is gonna be. The first one had a fun and goofy story that took wayyyyyyy too long to get through because of lots and lots of repetitious lines and weak writing. If they just excise all the inner monologues and pare down the story to a similar length as the last game while including like twice the characters, I'll be very happy.

It doesn't really matter though because its a fighting game story and I'll be spending 90% of my time with the game playing online but still!!

• Locked thread